HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist does not deserve the Vezina.

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 03:49 AM
cfc

vCash: 500
Lundqvist does not deserve the Vezina.

First I think the Vezina should be awarded to the best goaltender based on season ending stats, not just regular season, the entire season.

I wouldn't have made this an issue if I didn't see something that really irked me and it was this that did that:

Lundqvist had a 1.97 GAA and .930 save percentage in 62 starts, which is almost identical to the 1.95 GAA and .929 save percentage Quick had in 69 games. Still, the NHL General Managers’ voting was not even close.

Lundqvist got 120 points to Quick’s 63. Rinne was a distant third with 42 points and Phoenix’s Mike Smith finished fourth with 35.

How the heck can Lundqvist get 120 and Quick ONLY 63?!?!?!?!? To add Rinne was not too far behind Quick with 42 points, these tallies DO NOT reflect the numbers, especially Lundqvist vs Quick.

What did they say? "Quick won the cup, so we should give this to Lundqvist since he has waited 7 years???"

Quick got royally screwed here, if you factor in:

1) The Rangers add Brad Richards.
2) Rangers have 3 top tier all stars on their team.
3) Lundqvist faced nearly 23% less shots than previous seasons with the team playing sufficating defense. Because of that Lundqvist had a MUCH better team in front of him for much of the season than the Kings.
4) Lundqvist has a 4 year head start in NHL hockey experience under his belt compared to Quick.

finally

5) Lundqvist ended with an EXACT 0.001% better than Quick at regular seasons end, so how the F can Lundqvist get spotted 120 points to 63 for Quick by guys who are suppose to be the "experts," in this game.

There is no way Lundqvist deserves the award, Quick was the better goalie and he showed that right to the end of the playoffs where the award REALLY should have stopped.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:53 AM
macleod50

Yeah, this isn't going to bring any trouble at all.

This fanbase really needs to stop obsessing over the Rangers and its players.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:03 AM
boredmale

Who cares

One could argue Rhinne or Quick might have had an ever so slightly better season, but Lundy has been one of the top goalies for 7 years now and that holds some weight.

Simple fact is Lundy had a great season, his team had a great season and that was enough to win the Vezina

Old
06-24-2012, 04:10 AM
Bert Marshall days

Who cares? He choked like he usually does when it mattered most against the Devils.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:29 AM
steveat

I would say it's about 25% politics too, which is probably the deciding factor if it is a close race.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:41 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I would say it's about 25% politics too, which is probably the deciding factor if it is a close race.
As I said 7 years of being one of the top goalies holds a little weight over a couple of newcomers

Old
06-24-2012, 04:42 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Let's see. First of all, the reason Hank had twice as many points is quiet simple. He had 17 first place vote, compared to Quick's 6, and first place votes are worth more than 2nd and 3rd place ones.
Now for your points:

1) The Kings added Carter and Richards. More importantly, that has nothing to do with the Vezina
2) Once again, nothing to do with the Vezina, and you ignore the all stars on the Kings
3) Not only is 23% a made up number (or you're bad at math) it also MIGHT have to do with the fact that he played 10 less games than in his season with the most shots against. Also, Quick faced less shots per game than Lundqvist
4) Completely unrelated. It's not the award for best goalie under 28. It's the award for best goalie
5) Already said it

Old
06-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

east vs west. believe it or not the east is the widely believed tougher conference.

even in the playoffs(if you wanted to include that) quick didn't have to carry his team until the SCF. that entire team played some brilliant hockey in the postseason. quick faced very few sequences. his team was on top of rebounds in the crease clearing them in most cases before the first rebound shot was available. lundqvist also has to deal with a lot more deflections due to his team's shot blocking.

so to reflect:
1. nyr's system lead to a lot more deflections that had to be picked up in split seconds
2. la plays a strong forecheck game that seemed to have more puck possession
3. east vs west (arguably hardest division in the league save the islanders)
4. lundqvist had to deal with a lot more sequence saves-- la handled rebounds extremely well(albeit that is a part of quick's goal-tending)
5. lundqvist's performance lead the rangers to finishing in 1st in the atlantic. without him they'd be lucky to be battling for 8th. quick's team had to do a lot of the work
6. lundqvist had a solid year from start to finish. quick had a few inconsistencies to start the year.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Quick kept the team a float before the trade deadline. It's not even funny how bad the Kings were for the first half if it wasn't for him. In the end Hank can play with his cute Vezina Trophy while Quick finds room for his Conn Smythe & Stanley Cup. Quick could have taken the Hart too.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Hip Of Rick

Like every sport, awards for the most part are career achievement awards not single season like they labeled to be. Lundqvist had been a top 3 goalie for the past 4-5 years and was "due" for a Vezina. Of course we will see exceptions like Karlsson but for the most part the guy with the better career has the better reputation thus more votes. I have no problem with Lundqvist winning as he has had a great run as a top goalie, including this year

Quick winning the cup automatically makes him a front runner for the Vezina within the next few years as long as he puts up comparable numbers to other top goalies.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:07 AM
islesfan3991

vCash: 550
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Lundqvist should have won it. He pretty much carried the Rangers into the ECF. The Kings are a better team then the Rangers na dmany Ranger players didn't step up late in the year and into the playoffs.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Yeah, this isn't going to bring any trouble at all.

This fanbase really needs to stop obsessing over the Rangers and its players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Who cares? He choked like he usually does when it mattered most against the Devils.
/end thread(<---like I have the say)

We have enough stuff to be obsessive over (as Islanders fans).

And the Queen choked........but this queen never did bad.....

That doesn't have to do with the Ludy, but its a great song..right??

Old
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Aucoin3

Talk about starting a fight an Islanders fan can't win

Old
06-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 221
Did I want him to win? Hell no, but you could seriously have made an argument for any of the three goalies to have won (maybe Rinne not as much but they all played spectacular). Plus the trophies are for the regular season, they have the Conn Smythe for the post season.

It's over he won, perhaps you think someone else deserved it but it didn't work out that way, he had one hell of a season and was a Hart Trophy candidate for a reason. You should just accept it and move on looks bad having these kind of posts on here makes us seem bitter.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:52 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
In the end Hank can play with his cute Vezina Trophy while Quick finds room for his Conn Smythe & Stanley Cup.
This, a thousand times this.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Isles Junkie

Lundqvist ABSOLUTELY deserved the Vezina. IMO he deserved the Hart trophy as well. oh sure the Rags are a playoff team with a league average goalie. But they wouldn't have been as great as they were without Lundqvist. He is IMO the best goalie in the world right now.

I disagree so much that post season should be taken into account. That just isn't fair. Should someone not be eligible for a post season award if his team doesn't make the playoffs? That's BS to me.

Don't let this thread get out of hand guys.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Lundqvist ABSOLUTELY deserved the Vezina. IMO he deserved the Hart trophy as well. oh sure the Rags are a playoff team with a league average goalie. But they wouldn't have been as great as they were without Lundqvist. He is IMO the best goalie in the world right now.

I disagree so much that post season should be taken into account. That just isn't fair. Should someone not be eligible for a post season award if his team doesn't make the playoffs? That's BS to me.

Don't let this thread get out of hand guys.
I agree that he probably deserved the Vezina, but IMO Quick should have won the Hart and Lundqvist would have had no business winning it this season. Without Quick the Kings probably wouldn't even have their cup right now because they wouldn't of have even made the playoffs in the first place. The Kings were ATROCIOUS during the regular season, Quick had to play out of his mind to get those guys in the playoffs whereas Lundqvist had a very consistent and solid team in front of him for the first time in forever.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:28 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
He deserves it, but even if you think it should go to one of the others like Quick which is a reasonable argument, I can easily live with him having it.

It is time to move on as a fan base. We should worry about our own stuff more than other's, you know?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree that he probably deserved the Vezina, but IMO Quick should have won the Hart and Lundqvist would have had no business winning it this season. Without Quick the Kings probably wouldn't even have their cup right now because they wouldn't of have even made the playoffs in the first place. The Kings were ATROCIOUS during the regular season, Quick had to play out of his mind to get those guys in the playoffs whereas Lundqvist had a very consistent and solid team in front of him for the first time in forever.
Exactly. I had the unfortunate luxury of sitting through many Kings games this season due to their local TV presence. They were nothing without him. With all due respect to Hank, he was the 2nd best goalie this year, IMO.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:03 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I thought Quick should have won, but Lundqvist was phenomenal this year. To say he doesn't deserve it is just Ranger hate.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Original Rob

Lundqvist deserves the Vezina just about every year, give me a break

Old
06-24-2012, 12:21 PM
malPHONEY

Take your blue and orange shades off. You'd kiss his feet if he were on our team.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
CodeE

I came to terms that Queen Henrik was gonna win the Vezina when I saw he was the only goalie nominated for the Hart with Malkin & Stamkos.

It's like at the Grammys, when album of the year nominees are 4 classic rock albums and then one Eminem or Kanye West album. Even though Eminem/Kanye won't be taking home album of the year, they're pretty much a lock for Best Rap Album.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
VT Isles Fan

Pretty much knew Lundqvist was winning due to a) He was also nominated for the Hart, b) He's been nominated multiple times before which seems to matter to some (proven track record) and c) how many GMs are staying up late to watch Kings games?

Old
06-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
c) how many GMs are staying up late to watch Kings games?
You just knew that this thread would catch some Rangers fan's eye and he would have to comment. I'm not here to troll, I just want to add something to this point.

Not only is there a question of how many Eastern and Central time zone GMs watched late Kings games, but Lundqvist had better exposure this season overall.

Between the Winter Classic and multiple dominating performances this season on national TV, including weekend NBC games and particularly against the previous Cup Champs... Lundqvist got a ton of exposure when he was at his best. I know people who think he sewed up the Vezina when he stopped the penalty shot on January 2nd. Could be. Lundqvist absolutely deserved the Vezina based on his play, but anyone who denies that there weren't extraneous factors involved is naive.

Closed Thread