HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hjalmarsson to Pittsburgh

Old
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

vCash: 500
Hjalmarsson to Pittsburgh

So, what would it take to get Hjalmarsson to Pittsburgh? (If we fail to lure Suter)

Last edited by CF Punk: 06-24-2012 at 08:22 AM.
CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Vujtek

3rd, Ruopp and Cheverie is best I would offer.

I don't think he's better than Michalek so no reason to offer more than we just got for Z. Which was next to nothing.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post

I don't think he's better than Michalek so no reason to offer more than we just got for Z. Which was next to nothing.
What makes him a more attractive option for us is his salary. I'm a fan of both the amount and the term.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Quote:

That was to move capspace though... either way, I think Hjalmarsson would be a good contingency plan for the Penguins if they can't get a deal with any of UFAs of interest (Suter, Allen, etc)

However, I'm sure the price would at least be a 2nd Round + Mid-Tier Prospect like Strait. I don't know the value exactly of him, but like I said above, could be a good fit to round out our top-4 for next season. Deal wouldn't happen now though, see what happens in Free Agency first.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:20 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:

"Z" got that nonsense package as a cap dump. It had nothing to do with value.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:22 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
That was to move capspace though... either way, I think Hjalmarsson would be a good contingency plan for the Penguins if they can't get a deal with any of UFAs of interest (Suter, Allen, etc)

However, I'm sure the price would at least be a 2nd Round + Mid-Tier Prospect like Strait. I don't know the value exactly of him, but like I said above, could be a good fit to round out our top-4 for next season. Deal wouldn't happen now though, see what happens in Free Agency first.
That's exactly what I had in mind.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:35 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Shero could've got so much better from other teams, fail. And he should've moved Martin even if he had to throw in a 2nd rounder with him for a decent return. Just get him off the books and keep a way better D (Michalek).

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:43 AM
ndgt10

Quote:

Since when are the Hawks in rebuilding mode?

ndgt10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:15 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

DNW!

I want either someone playing way more physical or a really good PPQB coming in, if we go outside for D. With eveything else, I see no point in not giving our own the chances, if we strike out in FA.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Since when are the Hawks in rebuilding mode?
Take a chill pill there pal, nobody said anything about rebuilding. It all depends on what happens in Free Agency regarding the Blackhawks to consider trading him, and for the Penguins to consider trading FOR him. This whole proposal revolves around "What If's".

Who on the Penguins roster could realistically be had to make a Hjalmarsson deal (That's within his value range)? Orpik and Martin could definitely be in play as we speak for the Penguins, but that doesn't make sense in this deal. Only other name is Tyler Kennedy, but I was under the assumption the Blackhawks are loaded with forward prospects who are ready to make the jump. We have defensive prospects galore, that's what our deals the next few years are going to revolve around. It is what it is, as I'm sure you can agree with that statement.

As for the deal I said above... an extra 2nd is a good asset to have for any team (Can be flipped, or used to strengthen a prospect pool), and an NHL-ready defenseman could always interest a contender or rebuilder. 2nd + Strait/Bortuzzo was simply an opening suggestion and starting point.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Yeah that was a cap dump. But Michalek only makes 500k more than Hjalmarsson so it makes no sense to dump Michalek's salary and then go for Hjalmarsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
What makes him a more attractive option for us is his salary. I'm a fan of both the amount and the term.
I don't like Hjalmarsson's contract. Michalek's contract was every bit as good and we just dumped it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I know that. But to dump Michalek's contract and then go for Hjalmarsson doesn't make any sense to me.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:47 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Yeah that was a cap dump. But Michalek only makes 500k more than Hjalmarsson so it makes no sense to dump Michalek's salary and then go for Hjalmarsson.

I don't like Hjalmarsson's contract. Michalek's contract was every bit as good and we just dumped it.

I know that. But to dump Michalek's contract and then go for Hjalmarsson doesn't make any sense to me.
This. All of this.

The only reason for dumping Michalek is to either sign a big time FA or make room for the NHL ready prospects. Dumping him for scraps and then hire a worse player for all of 500k less is just tremendously stupid.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Would offering Methot be equally silly? He's got an even lower contract, but it might still be considered relatively high here ($3m/year cap hit, or $1m/year savings).

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Would offering Methot be equally silly? He's got an even lower contract, but it might still be considered relatively high here ($3m/year cap hit, or $1m/year savings).
TBH, I do not know all that much about Methot, but I am guessing he is an actual physical defensive defenseman from his stats (tell me, if I am way off here), so if he isn't outright horrible, it's may well be at least less silly.

Why is he expendable in CLB? What was his injury and how did that turn out? What were you looking at in terms of return here?

My personal preference is to go with what we have now unless Martin or Orpik are shipped off as well OR a clear upgrade can be landed in FA.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

So, because you just gave Michalek away - you expect to get a top 4 guy for scraps?

Michalek was moved to free up space. If the Pens strike out in the UFA market - they need to add a solid guy with some experience unless they're going with a couple of rookies at the same time, which is a recipe for disaster.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:10 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
So, because you just gave Michalek away - you expect to get a top 4 guy for scraps?

Michalek was moved to free up space. If the Pens strike out in the UFA market - they need to add a solid guy with some experience unless they're going with a couple of rookies at the same time, which is a recipe for disaster.
Pens still have Letang, Orpik, Niskanen and Martin. There has been some speculation that Despres could either go on the second pairing or start on the bottom pairing and eventually ursurp Niskanen. Where do you see "a couple of rookies" in the top4. I don't even see a single player I'd consider Hjalmarsson much of an upgrade over.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Even if Michalek isn't replaced (which I doubt will be the case), the Pens wouldn't need to play two rookies.

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
rookie - Engelland

Only one rookie would be dressed regularly on the bottom pairing.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
TBH, I do not know all that much about Methot, but I am guessing he is an actual physical defensive defenseman from his stats (tell me, if I am way off here), so if he isn't outright horrible, it's may well be at least less silly.
He plays less of a physical game than you might expect from his size, but is a good skater for his size to make up for it; he's very mobile. He keeps looking like he could be amazing someday, but ultimately ends up turning out "pretty much okay" each time. Kind of like Jonathan Ericsson, really.

(I remember when folks were claiming Ericsson was going to set the world on fire, and some of us were saying "Huh, he's very very similar to Methot. Does that mean Methot's going to be awesome, or Ericsson's being overrated?" Turned out it was a bit of both. )

Quote:
Why is he expendable in CLB? What was his injury and how did that turn out? What were you looking at in terms of return here?
Following the midseason rebuild, we've got a very crowded blueline - JMFJ-Wiz and Tyutin-Nikitin on the roster, Savard and Moore getting close to being NHL ready, and Murray being drafted just now - so he's essentially expendable depth (especially if we can pick up a 4-5 tweener vet for $1-2m or so, or if Murray makes the team and takes off).

His primary injury this year was a broken jaw. Suffice to say that this is unlikely to affect his play going forward. He does have occasional two-games-here-four-games-there issues around the upper body (hands, so far as I can tell/remember).

And what we desperately need is top-6 wingers, so we'd be looking to either get a tweener guy, or package him with a pick, or maybe even trade straight up if someone really badly needs someone like him.

Quote:
My personal preference is to go with what we have now unless Martin or Orpik are shipped off as well OR a clear upgrade can be landed in FA.
Makes sense. I'm just curious.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
He plays less of a physical game than you might expect from his size, but is a good skater for his size to make up for it; he's very mobile. He keeps looking like he could be amazing someday, but ultimately ends up turning out "pretty much okay" each time. Kind of like Jonathan Ericsson, really.

(I remember when folks were claiming Ericsson was going to set the world on fire, and some of us were saying "Huh, he's very very similar to Methot. Does that mean Methot's going to be awesome, or Ericsson's being overrated?" Turned out it was a bit of both. )

Following the midseason rebuild, we've got a very crowded blueline - JMFJ-Wiz and Tyutin-Nikitin on the roster, Savard and Moore getting close to being NHL ready, and Murray being drafted just now - so he's essentially expendable depth (especially if we can pick up a 4-5 tweener vet for $1-2m or so, or if Murray makes the team and takes off).

His primary injury this year was a broken jaw. Suffice to say that this is unlikely to affect his play going forward. He does have occasional two-games-here-four-games-there issues around the upper body (hands, so far as I can tell/remember).

And what we desperately need is top-6 wingers, so we'd be looking to either get a tweener guy, or package him with a pick, or maybe even trade straight up if someone really badly needs someone like him.

Makes sense. I'm just curious.
Thank you. That was very interesting.

I was getting kinda excited about him being more physical, because he had twice as many hits as Hjalmarsson in little more than half as many games. Well that and I am going to just be honest here, I watched a lot of the Blackhawks and not much of the CBJ, so I guess I was giving the benefit of the doubt to the player I had not personally seen suck that much. No idea if he would fit the team well, but I don't hate the idea.

Problem would be that top6 wingers is what the Pens need too, both roster players and prospects, so Tyler Kennedy would probably be the best we could do ya there. He isn't bad, actually scored in the 0.5PPG and above range whenever he got considerable time in the top6.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Thank you. That was very interesting.

I was getting kinda excited about him being more physical, because he had twice as many hits as Hjalmarsson in little more than half as many games. Well that and I am going to just be honest here, I watched a lot of the Blackhawks and not much of the CBJ, so I guess I was giving the benefit of the doubt to the player I had not personally seen suck that much. No idea if he would fit the team well, but I don't hate the idea.

Problem would be that top6 wingers is what the Pens need too, both roster players and prospects, so Tyler Kennedy would probably be the best we could do ya there. He isn't bad, actually scored in the 0.5PPG and above range whenever he got considerable time in the top6.
There's folks I know who would pronounce that "done, no takebacks" I'd probably go for it as well, since RW is easily our area of most need. I'd prefer more scoring, but, well...

As for the hits... Methot is fun when folks are entering the zone, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a crease-clearer. He could probably do it well, but it's not exactly his specialty. (Then again, I figure for the Pens that's what Orpik is for.)

EDIT: I should also point out that Jan Hejda, while he was here, taught Methot the ancient mystical art of the Hip Check. Not to make the hard sell here or anything, but I am a total giggling fangirl sucker anytime I see a nice hipcheck, so...

Last edited by Viqsi: 06-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 03:51 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
There's folks I know who would pronounce that "done, no takebacks" I'd probably go for it as well, since RW is easily our area of most need. I'd prefer more scoring, but, well...

As for the hits... Methot is fun when folks are entering the zone, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a crease-clearer. He could probably do it well, but it's not exactly his specialty. (Then again, I figure for the Pens that's what Orpik is for.)
Help, I don't really want even HF authority on executing any deal, because of my limited knowledge of the CBJ, but you have definitely made me a new fan of his.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
No. Because Michalek was moved for scraps, I don't expect Penguins to pay a good price for similar D-man with similar contract. Of course I'm not expecting the Blackhawks to have interest in that, unless they also want to do the same Penguins just did (get cap space to go after Suter/Parise). For Penguins, Hjalmarsson simply isn't a guy they'd go after now. It makes no sense to move Michalek for scraps, and then pay good value for Hjalmarsson. Absolutely no sense for the Pens.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
I don't see any need for Methot. Doesn't fill a need right now and I'd hate if Shero gave away Michalek for free just to then acquire someone like Hjalmarsson/Methot.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
I don't see any need for Methot. Doesn't fill a need right now and I'd hate if Shero gave away Michalek for free just to then acquire someone like Hjalmarsson/Methot.
Perfectly understandable. We're just slightly desperate, y'see.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 PM
WarriorofTime

Typical HF. If a player is not on your team trash the living heck out of him if they aren't an All Star. You'd think Hjalmarsson was a 7th Defenseman judging by some of the posts in this thread.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote