HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worried about Pens freeing cap space?

Old
06-26-2012, 10:45 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
After writing that post, its pretty clear the Jets want a 1B/2A center for Kane.

Think Joe Thornton, Getzlaf, Kesler, etc.

So, for the Wings, in a sort-of straight up deal, basically Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Unless of course the Jets were real high on some prospect like Smith, would take the clear #2C in Flip and even throw in something else.

Like I said in the post, I have no idea if that works, but after reading the Jets board, the Wings would have to get a 3rd team involved (like Anaheim for Getzlaf). It would be complicated.
If Zetterberg wasn't essentially untouchable and most likely our new captain, I would actually consider moving him for a younger player.

Keyword is "consider" here, people. Don't jump on me.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:08 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
If Zetterberg wasn't essentially untouchable and most likely our new captain, I would actually consider moving him for a younger player.

Keyword is "consider" here, people. Don't jump on me.
I thought the idea of sending him to Boston in some kind of Krejci package (obviously Boston would have a decent + to put on that) was at least worth considering. If the right players are involved I think they should listen, that is actually true of anyone on the team given Datsyuk's age also. Problem is there are very few packages if I really think about it that gets either player moved.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I like how in this thread, GMs are now being evaluated based on rumors of things they might do.
I know, right. lol

Shero is shedding all his D, what happens if he can't upgrade at deadline? Is he still a genius?

He's trying to fix a mistake he made a couple years ago by overpaying UFA d-men that failed to click in their system. Now he is giving them away... so lets call him a genius?

That is beyond hilarious

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:45 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
if by moving filppula you bring in a young player regarded to be as good as filppula plus the 8th overall pick plus a top dmen prospect plus with the extra cap space it allows you to retain sidney crosby, malkin and letang then i would say Holland was a genius and I 100% guarntee you would say the exact same bloody thing.
Good point. Players like Filppula are high quality unique players that 30 teams are gushing to have and give anything and everything to have.

2nd overall 23 year old 6'4, 220ibs hard-nose gritty defensive forwards that can score HUGE goals are a dime a dozen, and can be acquired easily.

If I'm Shero, I keep Staal til trade deadline for more time to try re-sign him. The guy is a monster and the return Shero got for him is a downgrade to the team as whole.

To put in perspective, it'd be like Holland trading Zetterberg before he became a FA for Malhotra and two prospects because he rejected an contract offer. Holland would glamour Zetterberg and wine and dine him till he got him inked. Patience is key.

Shero couldn't even hold Holland's jock strap.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:53 PM
YostisHome
CEO DeKeyser FanClub

Sometimes trying to deal a guy before the deadline can result in pennies on the dollar. I don't blame him for being proactive. My thought if I was Columbus or possibly Anaheim....wait to deal Nash or Ryan to whoever loses out on the Parise auction. With the cliff that is the rest of the FA pool.... it will open the potential suitors who may not be showing as much interest because their believe they can get Parise.

YostisHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YostisHome View Post
Sometimes trying to deal a guy before the deadline can result in pennies on the dollar. I don't blame him for being proactive. My thought if I was Columbus or possibly Anaheim....wait to deal Nash or Ryan to whoever loses out on the Parise auction. With the cliff that is the rest of the FA pool.... it will open the potential suitors who may not be showing as much interest because their believe they can get Parise.
Bigger problem for Howson is that is risky when one of your offers is coming from a New York or Toronto type media market where the deal being leaked is a certainty.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
After writing that post, its pretty clear the Jets want a 1B/2A center for Kane.

Think Joe Thornton, Getzlaf, Kesler, etc.

So, for the Wings, in a sort-of straight up deal, basically Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Unless of course the Jets were real high on some prospect like Smith, would take the clear #2C in Flip and even throw in something else.

Like I said in the post, I have no idea if that works, but after reading the Jets board, the Wings would have to get a 3rd team involved (like Anaheim for Getzlaf). It would be complicated.
I don't think Jets fans around here are the best indicators of what Kane is worth. I read a few posts in the Kane thread on the trade forums, scratched my head and left.

I would personally never give up a Kesler, Thornton, Zetterberg or Getzlaf straight up for E.Kane. Those are impact players on cup winners and/or individual hardware winners. Kane has scored 30 goals once, I don't care how old he is.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:48 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I don't think Jets fans around here are the best indicators of what Kane is worth. I read a few posts in the Kane thread on the trade forums, scratched my head and left.
Are hometown fans ever a good judge of what a player is worth? Ever?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:08 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Are hometown fans ever a good judge of what a player is worth? Ever?
No they never are, but while they will always want more than they should get the fans who want him will always try and make them seem like they are worth way less than they actually are.

I have said this before and I will say it again. Evander Kane will become the best power forward in the NHL. He is fast as hell, hits like a truck and has immense skill. He is and will be the real deal. I think he is absolutely worth a #1 center.

However, the problem with any team trading their number 1 center for Kane is that now instead of having a great center with nobody to score you have a good scorer with nobody to get him the puck.

Now if this is the Flyers last year, maybe sending Richards could get it done but who has the ability to trade their #1 guy for Kane? The only team who could've pulled a deal off in my opinion is Pittsburgh but Staal would've needed to be signed and more would have to be added. Man Kane with Crosby would be lethal though.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Good point. Players like Filppula are high quality unique players that 30 teams are gushing to have and give anything and everything to have.

2nd overall 23 year old 6'4, 220ibs hard-nose gritty defensive forwards that can score HUGE goals are a dime a dozen, and can be acquired easily.

If I'm Shero, I keep Staal til trade deadline for more time to try re-sign him. The guy is a monster and the return Shero got for him is a downgrade to the team as whole.

To put in perspective, it'd be like Holland trading Zetterberg before he became a FA for Malhotra and two prospects because he rejected an contract offer. Holland would glamour Zetterberg and wine and dine him till he got him inked. Patience is key.

Shero couldn't even hold Holland's jock strap.
Shero was a year away from losing Staal for nothing.

He essentially traded one year of Staal's services for a talented young center and a top-10 pick. They'll get 4 or 5 seasons out of Sutter and another 7-8 seasons out of that pick if he pans out. And the other guy they got isn't a stiff either - former 2nd rounder, 6'4 defenseman with wheels and hands.

Shero took the long view and made a smart trade. This trade could look fantastic for the Pens in a couple years. All the Canes had to do was wait a year and they'd have had him for free.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Shero was a year away from losing Staal for nothing.

He essentially traded one year of Staal's services for a talented young center and a top-10 pick. They'll get 4 or 5 seasons out of Sutter and another 7-8 seasons out of that pick if he pans out. And the other guy they got isn't a stiff either - former 2nd rounder, 6'4 defenseman with wheels and hands.

Shero took the long view and made a smart trade. This trade could look fantastic for the Pens in a couple years. All the Canes had to do was wait a year and they'd have had him for free.
And would have lost out on a year of his services and would have possibly been outbid or out traded before free agency even started.

I don't see anything wrong with Carolina getting him. I think they priced him too high, but still.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Henkka

That was a good hockey trade. Can't blaim either side. Both got good value to their teams with different needs.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote