HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bouwmeester to St. Louis

Old
06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
I dobt know about the rest of Blues fans but if we miss out on Suter/ Garrison Im ok with the JBo option, I feel like next to Petro he could be the guy he used to be

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

vCash: 500
I'm just not so sure that J-bo is what the Blues need. To me, Garrison or Suter is much more desirable. I'd much rather have a physically punishing defenseman that is capable of playing top pairing minutes. I see Bouwmeester as more of a solid second pairing guy. Not what we need. I'd honestly rather run with Cole to start the season, and then make a trade if necessary.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I absolutely hate the idea of acquiring Jay Bouwmeester. 6.68M for two years and the guy just isn't a very competitive player. Sure he skates well but he's the kind of guy opponents love to play against. The Blues will make the playoffs by replacing Colaiacovo with Cole; they can wait til the deadline if they miss out on Garrison. Bouwmeester is a pure panic move and the opposite of what I've come to expect from Doug Armstrong.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Jay Bouwmeester isn't a bad player, don't let some of these posters confuse you. He has a strong work ethic and logs massive time on the blue line, he just isn't physical; don't confuse that with laziness or work ethic.
He doesn't fit in Calgary as a #1 who makes his #2 better (he was playing with a 3-4 this year, and has no ability to make him look like a #2). Playing with Alex Pietrangelo as 1-2 would be great, because AP is a legit future top tier #1 defencemen, especially under Hitch's system.

His price tag is steep, but in St. Louis Jay Bouwmeester would work extremely well.
St. Louis won't get Suter; they just won't... Garrison is a possibility, however, Bouwmeester is the better defensemen.

What it would cost?
Something along the lines of:
Ian Cole, Matt D'Agostini + additions on each side (random picks or prospects 2/5 of you forgot you even had).

Bonus: St. Louis get its first pair, they have to pay Bouwmeester a lot for two years, but after that, his contract will drop significantly. They lose a bit of offense with D'Agostini, but it's offense that can be picked up elsewhere. They lose Cole, but end up with a better Dman at the end of the day.
Calgary sheds Bouwmeester, who has been a disaster with the organization. They get a young Dman, who has a decent shot from the point (something lacking, unless using a defensive liability in Babchuk). They get a RW in the age range their GM has been looking for (a position lacking in the organization).

A win-win for both teams to be perfectly honest.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

"Don't let some of these posters confuse you" that he's bad, he's only been a "disaster" with Calgary! But on the plus side, you can give up assets and he's super expensive! So there's that.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Bouwmeester should be at least 3rd on our list behind Suter and Garrison. Preferably there are other players ahead of him. The good thing is that the interest in him won't be all that high, so we don't need to act fast.

The important thing in all of this is that Armstrong has the green light to get someone big. Armstrong will be in on Suter and Garrison. I'm assuming he was in on Yandle, but the asking price was too much. Other potential trade opportunities probably aren't all that realistic or we will have to give a lot up, like Staal.

Jaybo is a fallback option that would more than get the job done next to Pietrangelo. We could get someone better like Suter for similar price or maybe a little lower or we could get Garrison who would definitely be cheaper. Now we know that Armstrong has permission to pursue these types of players. We no longer have to think that we are getting Carle or Allen or Souray or anyone else like that.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Old
06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
"Don't let some of these posters confuse you" that he's bad, he's only been a "disaster" with Calgary! But on the plus side, you can give up assets and he's super expensive! So there's that.
He just didn't fit the system. He was relied on to be a #1 in Calgary, and make whoever he was paired with better.
He can't do that. What he can do, if paired with someone like AP is log 25+ minutes a night, make the right pass and be able to move well especially in a defense first system as St. Louis has.

I have the fear you're a true Blues fan. Have seen Bouwmeester play 3 times maybe, and judging 100% based off stats and what other people in HF have said. He would work like crazy in St. Louis.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:31 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
He just didn't fit the system. He was relied on to be a #1 in Calgary, and make whoever he was paired with better.
He can't do that. What he can do, if paired with someone like AP is log 25+ minutes a night, make the right pass and be able to move well especially in a defense first system as St. Louis has.

I have the fear you're a true Blues fan. Have seen Bouwmeester play 3 times maybe, and judging 100% based off stats and what other people in HF have said. He would work like crazy in St. Louis.
Well you'd be very wrong then.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Well you'd be very wrong then.
100% certain now, after you posted the video lol.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:

I have the fear you are a true Flames fan. Have seen the Blues play 3 times maybe. See I can do it too. In all seriousness, I don't doubt that he would be better playing with Petro. But he's not my first choice. WHat we would ideally want is a Roman Polak type, who is left handed: meaning a physical and mean shut down guy who can move the puck.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
100% certain now, after you posted the video lol.
Shows how little you know. Even fellow Blues fans who disagree with me on this or that opinion know I watch a ton of hockey. I've seen Bouwmeester play at least 100 times.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Shows how little you know. Even fellow Blues fans who disagree with me on this or that opinion know I watch a ton of hockey. I've seen Bouwmeester play at least 100 times.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Not sure if I would be interested in Bouwmeester if I was St.Louis. The guy comes with an expensive price tag and is not as good a player as he once was.

06-24-2012, 08:38 PM
zachws6

I don't have any interest in Bouwmeester at all.

....not to mention it would take a minimum of a proven 30 goal scorer to pry Tarasenko off my Blues.

If he busts, so be it, but to trade him before he plays 1 season with the club is madness.

zachws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
thaman8765678

Quote:

He can log 25+ minutes a night of floating non physical play I'll give him that. There's also the fact he's good for a brutal turnover or four a game which could be a result of him playing too many minutes but regardless I don't know where this "solid 25+ minutes a game" is coming from.

One of his major weaknesses is not being a great first passer out of the zone. Could be a result of Sutter's system in Calgary being a disaster but you can't say for sure he'll be able to make the right pass out of the zone when he hasn't shown that capability in 3 years.

I saw Bouwmeester play 70 + games last season and can tell you that you're just wrong on Jay Bouw. There's a reason nobody wants the guy and it's because he isn't a true top pairing defender. I agree with what Peca said years ago when I watch this guy game in and game out its outrageous that he gets the salary he does. There is zero compete in the guy and I have never seen him angry with losing (he seems to have brought his losing culture to Calgary which many Florida fans guessed from the start would happen). I just don't see any positives in Bouw besides his skating which even then he seems to forget how to skate in any important games down the stretch and frustrates fans like no other player could.

thaman8765678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:

I disagree on both fronts. There are too many times that Bouwmeester just slings the puck around the boards and gifts the other team a free pass. Also, Bowmeester does not attack the puck as required by our defensive system. He is much too passive for the structure the Blues employ.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I have the fear you are a true Flames fan. Have seen the Blues play 3 times maybe. See I can do it too. In all seriousness, I don't doubt that he would be better playing with Petro. But he's not my first choice. WHat we would ideally want is a Roman Polak type, who is left handed: meaning a physical and mean shut down guy who can move the puck.
I agree that a hard nosed D-man would work better in the top pairing in St. Louis, there's no doubt. To be perfectly honest though, puck moving, highly physical + top pairing defencemen don't come along often.

Also, once Hitch was hired in St. Louis, I followed them religiously . They were my pick at the start of the year for surprise team; started looking like a scrub at the start of the year with my prediction, but Hitch got them on track in some kind of a way.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I disagree on both fronts. There are too many times that Bouwmeester just slings the puck around the boards and gifts the other team a free pass. Also, Bowmeester does not attack the puck as required by our defensive system. He is much too passive for the structure the Blues employ.
The non-attacking/passiveness of Bouwmeester was a direct result of the Sutter system. There were well too many times I'd hear people I was watching games with screaming "STOP MOVING BACKWARDS!".
The only engaging defencemen in Calgary was Cory Sarich this past season for them, and most Flames fans worship him for that (even though he is also grossly overpaid).

I have the true belief that he'd work well in St. Louis. But I doubt any trade like this would materialize.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
That Video pretty much tells you something. When a former NHL player states he's the type of player you look forward to playing against and he's not very good says a lot about the player. Peca really had no reason to say what he did unless he was being honest. Our defense is soft enough as it is without Bouwmeester.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
thaman8765678

Quote:
The non-attacking/passiveness of Bouwmeester was a direct result of the Sutter system. There were well too many times I'd hear people I was watching games with screaming "STOP MOVING BACKWARDS!".
The only engaging defencemen in Calgary was Cory Sarich this past season for them, and most Flames fans worship him for that (even though he is also grossly overpaid).

I have the true belief that he'd work well in St. Louis. But I doubt any trade like this would materialize.
Stop defending the guy! There is no way Sutter told Bouwmeester "Ok I want you to go out there float around, never take out the man, don't lay any hits and be as passive as you want". The guy is just soft and lazy how can you not accept that it has nothing to do with a system. I didn't see Sutter's system being a problem for Gio to be aggressive and physical, nor for Brodie to make rushes up the ice and try to provide some offense.

The fact of the matter is that Bouw is unwilling to be aggressive offensively, defensively and physically. He is the iron man of the NHL for a reason.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Ignore42me*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Bouwmeester should be at least 3rd on our list behind Suter and Garrison. Preferably there are other players ahead of him. The good thing is that the interest in him won't be all that high, so we don't need to act fast.

The important thing in all of this is that Armstrong has the green light to get someone big. Armstrong will be in on Suter and Garrison. I'm assuming he was in on Yandle, but the asking price was too much. Other potential trade opportunities probably aren't all that realistic or we will have to give a lot up, like Staal.

Jaybo is a fallback option that would more than get the job done next to Pietrangelo. We could get someone better like Suter for similar price or maybe a little lower or we could get Garrison who would definitely be cheaper. Now we know that Armstrong has permission to pursue these types of players. We no longer have to think that we are getting Carle or Allen or Souray or anyone else like that.
Im glad to hear you change your mind a little. the only thing i would say is that "Bouwmeester should be at least 3rd on our list behind Suter and Garrison", should probably say be at most the 3rd on our list b/c i can think of plenty of people id rather have play with Pietrangelo the Jaybo.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:18 PM
The Note
Bullies

Bouwmeester better be like plan G. And at that point I'd rather just try Cole up in that spot

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
I agree that a hard nosed D-man would work better in the top pairing in St. Louis, there's no doubt. To be perfectly honest though, puck moving, highly physical + top pairing defencemen don't come along often.

Also, once Hitch was hired in St. Louis, I followed them religiously . They were my pick at the start of the year for surprise team; started looking like a scrub at the start of the year with my prediction, but Hitch got them on track in some kind of a way.
There's two that are on the market right now that fit the bill. Personally I would rather let Cole play to start the year and see how he does. People are so quick to want to dump off our depth, but they apparently forget that our depth was the only reason we were able to survive multiple injuries to key players last year. I'd rather pass on J-bo

Old
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
thaman8765678

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
Bouwmeester better be like plan G. And at that point I'd rather just try Cole up in that spot
I'm a Flames fan and can't think of any reason why you'd want him at all. His playoff curse should be enough to make a cup contender think twice about acquiring him. Trust me we all thought we had something good when he came to Calgary and he's a major reason why our team suddenly spiralled into the absolute mess its in right now. Don't bring the curse to another team I like in St Louis.