HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?
Yea 42 36.21%
Nay 74 63.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Slick Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Every time I run across nucks fans, they tend to have one characteristic in common: overinflated perception of self. Even though what you say is true, it will not connect with a nucks fan.

What they don't get is that Florida don't need Luongo. If he's available, at a good deal, and can improve our team -- what the heck. But is he one of the key missing pieces? No.

I will concede that there IS one reason why the Panthers may want Luongo. It's a Yorkman argument: he will sell tickets. Not because he's a Brodeur, but because he has history here, and that makes the team interesting.
team management better not forget that most of our true fans remember him and how he played and acted here so I would argue that bringing back such a negative presence will NOT help ticket sales, and what will happen when others realize we had just as good and better play from cheaper goalies, without the drama.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
team management better not forget that most of our true fans remember him and how he played and acted here so I would argue that bringing back such a negative presence will NOT help ticket sales, and what will happen when others realize we had just as good and better play from cheaper goalies, without the drama.
I recall the Luongo days very well. What i remember was a horrific defense and a top 5 goalie in the nhl standing on his head night and night out facing 35+ shots a night and still losing because of the horrible team in front of him.

I also remember that during the luongo years most of our "True" fans were the ones giving standing ovations every night for the incredible saves luongo made every single game.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
I never was...and still am not... the biggest Luongo fan...but he wasnt a negative presence here. He clashed with Keenan. Who the hell in their right mind can blame him for that? Keenan is an idiot.

I know one of the players from that era personally. Luongo wasnt the only one who despised that guy. Trust me.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
I never was...and still am not... the biggest Luongo fan...but he wasnt a negative presence here. He clashed with Keenan. Who the hell in their right mind can blame him for that? Keenan is an idiot.

I know one of the players from that era personally. Luongo wasnt the only one who despised that guy. Trust me.
They all hated Keenan, no question, but my memory of him was always giving up the late soft goal, sulking on the ice showing up his teammates as he still does, never leading us to the playoffs, asking for his own goalie coach and his own back up goalie,.and agreeing to a contract only to ask for more multiple times. that is my memory of this guy and many other fans I know experienced it and share the feeling. The trade was terrible,.we should have gotten more, but trading him was absolutely the right move

Old
06-28-2012, 04:48 PM
RainingRats

Bernier in LA is available. I'd much rather go after him.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Bernier in LA is available. I'd much rather go after him.
This! Bernier is younger than Luongo and I think there is big potential in him just as Jacob. But he could fill in NOW! Backup after Theo and then Battle for the starting job with Jacob

Old
06-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
More I think about it, the more I want Tallon to just pull the plug on a Luongo deal. Let Gillis figure it out in VAN. We don't need the guy. I voted no, and still voting no.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:01 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
This! Bernier is younger than Luongo and I think there is big potential in him just as Jacob. But he could fill in NOW! Backup after Theo and then Battle for the starting job with Jacob
He's also going to cost alot. Not worth giving up legitimate assets for an unproven goalie, when we have just as an unproven, yet probably more talented, goalie in Markstrom.

i think the only way we're interested in Luongo is if we get him for almost nothing. i really don't think Tallon is searching the wires for goaltending upgrades. Theodore played well. it's just more of a "Luongo wants to come here? Fine, we'll take him, if you take ---Enter awful contract here (Jovo?)-- and ---Enter crappy asset here (uhhh...John McFarland?) -- for him"

Old
06-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Pantherfan12

I'd actually like Bernier, but what would it cost??

As far as Luongo and the past, yeah I don't remember any negativity regarding him in the past. I too, remember fans standing for his big saves and the "S" on the walls for all the saves. While he did have some selfish demands regarding his contract, I've heard from other Van fans that he is no longer selfish and full of himself. It's a big contract no denying it, but he's an elite goaltender who can definately help us get to the next level.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:27 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Getting Bernier is completely pointless. Plus I don't think he's anywhere near the price that LA is asking.

Dreger has once again reported that we are the frontrunner for Luongo. He stressed that talks weren't too serious but that we were trying to work out some sort of a deal and had actually sent Vancouver a counter offer.

Still not expecting anything crazy to happen. I think Tallon is waiting until the dust settles from July 1st to see what kind of roster we have and how much money we're still working with.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Getting Bernier is completely pointless. Plus I don't think he's anywhere near the price that LA is asking.

Dreger has once again reported that we are the frontrunner for Luongo. He stressed that talks weren't too serious but that we were trying to work out some sort of a deal and had actually sent Vancouver a counter offer.

Still not expecting anything crazy to happen. I think Tallon is waiting until the dust settles from July 1st to see what kind of roster we have and how much money we're still working with.
how is it completely pointless?

Old
06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
how is it completely pointless?
Because we have Markstrom. Why would be stack our goaltending position with young guys, especially if we'd probably have to give up a 1st rounder and then some to get him.

Seems completely pointless. Why give up assets for an asset we already have?

Old
06-28-2012, 05:56 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Because we have Markstrom. Why would be stack our goaltending position with young guys, especially if we'd probably have to give up a 1st rounder and then some to get him.

Because Markstrom isn't ready and you can always move one of the goalies. LA just won the cup with two young goalies. Also, Bernier would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Roberto.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

Getting Bernier isn't pointless. He's a very good goalie. However, now is not the time to get him because his value is very high. Next summer is the time to trade for Bernier because Quick is only making 1.7 million this coming season making it very affordable to keep both goalies for LA. When Quick starts making 6+ million, that is the time to throw an offer for Bernier.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Dineen Youngblood

We don't need a goalie....the only reason there are rumors of us trading for one is because we may be able to get an elite one for almost nothing. Bernier will go to a team that actually needs a goalie.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
To be fair, Campbell is arguably overpaid. He was a #1 d-man last year who did it all. He might be overpaid by 500K which is nothing % wise.

I could see Matthias being traded. He wouldn't be a loss but he could be the type of player who could be sold on needing a change of scenery.
Based on today's ridiculous free agent prices, Campbell's contract looks like a steal lol. But in a vacuum, he's overpaid, but yeah not by much. I was just pointing out our big contracts.

Quote:
Why not go after Bernier or even Tim Thomas? Tim Thomas is a headcase but he may play this year. I'm sure they would do their due diligence. Assume he would play for arguments sake. If we're worried about goaltending, Roberto should be one of our last options, imo.
Bernier is unproven, that defeats the whole purpose. We might as well just go with Markstrom and Theodore. Thomas is not the kind of character player that Tallon wants around here. Plus he'd likely cost just as much as Luongo and might only play for us for a year.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
I agree. Our biggest weakness is a high end offensive player. Sign Semin and call it a day.
Us signing Semin is a longshot. Or any of the other top end forward UFA's. We have a much better chance of acquiring Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Florida management WANTS Luongo. They want his services, and they want his contract. That is fact - assuming the rumours of them being interested are true. Did I say "fact"? Yes:

Panthers owe Luongo nothing. Why would they take him for a potential 10 years if they think he's just an average goalie? They could pay another average goalie less money. Even if he was available for a 7th round pick.... it still wouldn't make any sense. You ONLY acquire Luongo if you WANT him.... you don't just take a flier on that kind of contract.

Canucks have that as leverage - teams want our valuable asset. At the end of the day, we have what is in demand. Luongo is under contract, and Schneider is still our property for at least 1 more year. Any offer sheet can be matched unless they go overboard, but then that team will be on the hook for multiple 1st round picks.

Nobody has Gilis by the balls until next offseason. Until then, we'll get a solid return on Luongo. We aren't close to being desperate to get rid of a goalie. That whole situation is blown way out of proportion.
Florida wants Luongo at the right price. Vancouver isn't going to get a solid return. Not from Florida. They'll get something they can live with.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
They all hated Keenan, no question, but my memory of him was always giving up the late soft goal, sulking on the ice showing up his teammates as he still does, never leading us to the playoffs, asking for his own goalie coach and his own back up goalie,.and agreeing to a contract only to ask for more multiple times. that is my memory of this guy and many other fans I know experienced it and share the feeling. The trade was terrible,.we should have gotten more, but trading him was absolutely the right move
Leading us to the playoffs? Is that supposed to be a joke? Jesus Christ couldn't have led us to the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Leading us to the playoffs? Is that supposed to be a joke? Jesus Christ couldn't have led us to the playoffs.
He joined the team the off season after we last made the playoffs

Old
06-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
And the team was terrible. That was hardly luongos fault. He was one of thr few bright spots.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:49 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
he also was like 20 years old and wasn't being counted on as the #1 guy. Trevor Kidd is the one who laid an egg.

that'd be like us going into next season with a Theodore-Markstrom tandem - and blaming Markstrom and calling him a choker if we don't make it.

i've never been much of a Luongo fan - but you're reaching on alot of your complaints of him. He's an elite regular season goalie with a propensity to choke in big games. That's plain and simple, what he is right now. maybe not playing in a hockey-mad environment would help that, maybe not. we'll see i guess.

Last edited by flapanthersfan: 06-29-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old
06-29-2012, 03:53 AM
FrolikFan67

no one has to worry about the return that vancouver would be receiving from us. vancouver pretty much needs to get rid of him, he has a ntc so the possible destinations are limited (especially if we truly are the only team he'd accept a trade to), he's one of the best goalies in the game, his numbers may have dipped slightly but lets be real here, tallon will take him only if they will except a cheap return. plain and simple. tallon knows goaltending isnt a huge need for us at the moment, still got theo for 1 more year, got markstrom arguably ready. luongo's a top goalie, of course tallon will listen if its cheap. tallon will take luongo if vancouver takes one of our bad contracts (upshall/jovo/kopecky), a lesser prospect NOT named huberdeau, bjugstad, howden, or petrovic (or even shore and possibly grimaldi for that matter). it'll be something like upshall (if he accepts a trade there, if not, then jovo), mcfarland or trocheck, and maybe a mid pick like a 3rd in '13 or a 2nd in '14. if they wont take that then so be it. tallon isnt going to trade our top prospects for a player he doesnt need. if he's cheap. ok. if gillis is asking for our better prospects or a 1st rounder in '13 or a flash/steeg/weiss,etc. then its not happening. IF he comes here, we know itll be a package we can all live with, tallon will make sure of it.

im all for a luongo return if its upshall/jovo/kopecky + mcfarland/trocheck + mid pick

Old
06-29-2012, 03:58 AM
FrolikFan67

especially now that schneider is resigned, i think the runway is open for luongo to leave. i hope we can get a deal done by july 1st, i doubt it, but hoping.

Old
06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Walking on water just isnt as impressive when it's frozen

Old
06-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
There is no way Tallon moves Kopecky so forget that. He and Dineen are so high on him

Closed Thread