HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?
Yea 42 36.21%
Nay 74 63.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 02:16 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
When Markstrom can get through an entire season

1) injury free

2) having played at least 50 games

Let us know.
We certainly won't find out for a long time if luongo comes on board, will we.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Surely Markstrom can still prove he can stay healthy and shoulder the load of a #1 goaltender while playing in the AHL?

Old
09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Goaltending wasn't a problem last year. However, with the two goaltenders we have, there's no guarantee that it won't be a problem this year. Just because something works once doesn't mean it will work on a consistent basis. What are the odds that Theodore and Clemmensen play the same way they did last year?

We're going to need good goaltending again to get into the playoffs this year and Luongo provides stability in net. His consistency over the years makes him one of the best goalies of all-time and he's still consistently good on a yearly basis.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...roberto-luongo

People are very much overrating his decline. He's a great goaltender. We should not be building our team around Markstrom right now. If Markstrom proves himself at this level, we begin to think about it. Until he does that, he is what he is - a prospect. A prospect who we'd one day be delighted about if he became...the next Roberto Luongo, performance wise.

It is not a terrible situation to have Luongo and Markstrom on the same team; that would actually be ideal. Theodore and Clemmensen are just stopgaps; Markstrom is not blocked, whatsoever.

The whole Luongo salary thing is also being overblown. 1) He's more than likely not playing out his entire contract. 2) Vancouver would be getting some of our terrible contracts in return via trade. I'll take Roberto Luongo's "bad contract" over Scottie Upshall's BAD CONTRACT. With Upshall, it's a bad contract because he's...well, bad. With Luongo, his "bad contract" is the equivalent of Brian Campbell's "bad contract." I'm sure we really regret trading Rostislav Olesz for Brian Campbell, though.
My hfboards rep strikes again!

Old
09-09-2012, 09:40 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Why not? Theo sure ain't injury proof!

Old
09-10-2012, 10:58 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Why not? Theo sure ain't injury proof!
Theodore's been incredibly durable his entire career.

Old
09-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

I haven't had a chance to read over a lot of the posts on this subject but to me the only reason you make a trade for Luongo is if you're a goaltender away from winning the cup. I don't think the Panthers are in that position yet. Add to that the fact of what you would have to give up to get Luongo, it's not worth it to me. By the way, I don't know if anyone has looked at the Canucks forums but the trades they propose are like from a parallel universe or something. They want every good player and top prospect we have for Luongo.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
I haven't had a chance to read over a lot of the posts on this subject but to me the only reason you make a trade for Luongo is if you're a goaltender away from winning the cup. I don't think the Panthers are in that position yet. Add to that the fact of what you would have to give up to get Luongo, it's not worth it to me. By the way, I don't know if anyone has looked at the Canucks forums but the trades they propose are like from a parallel universe or something. They want every good player and top prospect we have for Luongo.
Because they're delusional.

I don't think anyone on this board wants to trade prospects with the potential to make an impact for Luongo.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
harv3317

we don't want or need luongo!!!!!!

Old
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Nevermind.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:39 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
i think its something in their water, I can't see any team weather its us or who ever giving up anything significant its only a matter of time before he gets traded for peanuts; I wouldn't be against bringing him here but not for any of the good prospects.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Because they're delusional.
Perhaps in this scenario, but who would have thought they would have received Luongo for basically a bag of hockey pucks once upon a time?

I learned to never say never anymore. I don't want Lu here. But if he DID come here, I wouldn't 'boo' him. I'd suck it up like every other Panther fan would.

Old
09-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
we don't want or need luongo!!!!!!
You aren't "we."

Old
09-11-2012, 07:43 PM
RECsGuy*

It blows my mind that not ever Panthers fan isn't salivating at the possibility of acquiring a player who is Top-10 (arguably Top-5) at his position, especially one who has name recognition in a market where no one can name a single Panther on the current roster.

Stop bringing up his contract. Common sense tells you he likely won't play it out, but if he does, his actually salary in the final years of the deal is paltry. His annual caphit is moot since this franchise has never and will never spend to the point where they'll be anywhere near the cap ceiling. Besides, goalies of his calibre deserve to make what he does. If anything, for a team that always struggles to reach the cap floor, Luongo's caphit may actually be a positive.

Goalies with higher cap hits:

1. Rinne, Pekka $7,000,000
2. Lundqvist, Henrik $6,875,000
3. Price, Carey $6,500,000
4. Ward, Cam $6,300,000
5. Miller, Ryan $6,250,000
6. Backstrom, Niklas $6,000,000
7. Kiprusoff, Miikka $5,833,333
8. Bryzgalov, Ilya $5,666,667

Out of that group, I'd only take Lundqvist over Luongo.

Stop bringing up his age. Thirty-three is not even kind of old for a goalie.

Brodeur: 40
Nabokov: 37
Kiprusoff: 35
Vokoun: 36
Khabibulin: 39
Thomas: 38
Theodore: 36
Garon: 34
Giguere: 35

Ed Belfour was starting for Florida at the age of 42.

Stop bringing up "we'll trade for a forward before we trade for a goalie." Does this team have trouble scoring? Of course. Always has. But they'll solve that through the draft. Let's stop pretending that we'll be players in the trade market for Top-6 forwards because, first off, Top-6 forwards are hardly ever available, and when one is made available (i.e. Bobby Ryan), you know damn well the asking price will be a lot more than we'll pay for Luongo.

Stop bringing up Markstrom and how Luongo's acquisition will stifle the Swede. Depth at ANY position is a good thing. And if Markstrom demands and trade/returns to Sweden because he doesn't ant to wait (which I doubt he does), then good riddance.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Nah, I'll bring all those things up. They're all important. He comes, great. He's doesn't, great.

09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
harv3317

He doesn't come great!!!!!

Old
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Nah, I'll bring all those things up. They're all important. He comes, great. He's doesn't, great.
Which point am I wrong on?

Old
09-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Which point am I wrong on?
All of them. Contract: it's a factor. It's a concern, he doesn't owe anyone early retirement. Thus the contract and it's length, as well as its amount. I've also notoriously been a Luongo is overrated guy.

And Markstrom does make you question it, he isn't very far away (whether you think games played and an injury free season is important or not).

Again, I'll support him if he's here, but I'm completely fine of he's not.

Old
09-11-2012, 11:43 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
All of them. Contract: it's a factor. It's a concern, he doesn't owe anyone early retirement. Thus the contract and it's length, as well as its amount. I've also notoriously been a Luongo is overrated guy.

And Markstrom does make you question it, he isn't very far away (whether you think games played and an injury free season is important or not).

Again, I'll support him if he's here, but I'm completely fine of he's not.
How is that a problem?

Old
09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
How is that a problem?
How is it not? It pays him and allows him to play til he's 43, not everyone is Broduer, most aren't. Look at Rolo.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:46 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
How is it not? It pays him and allows him to play til he's 43, not everyone is Broduer, most aren't. Look at Rolo.
His contract pays him a Top-10 starter's salary until he is 39 (the next 6 seasons; he'll turn 39 at the very end of the '17-'18 season), a very reasonable age to still be expecting him to be a very good starter. Brodeur, Kiprusoff and Thomas are all similar caphits through nearly the same age, or beyond. After that, he collects an avg. of $1.75M per season over the final 4 years of the deal. How much are you expecting to pay a decent back-up, be it Luongo or someone else?

Look at Rolo? You mean the same Dwayne Rolson who carried the Lightning to within 1 game of the Stanley Cup Finals less than 6 months from his 42nd birthday? Is this supposed to be evidence against Luongo? Because it sure doesn't seem that way.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:18 AM
harv3317

don't want him, don't need him!!!!!!!!

Old
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
It blows my mind that not ever Panthers fan isn't salivating at the possibility of acquiring a player who is Top-10 (arguably Top-5) at his position, especially one who has name recognition in a market where no one can name a single Panther on the current roster.

Stop bringing up his contract. Common sense tells you he likely won't play it out, but if he does, his actually salary in the final years of the deal is paltry. His annual caphit is moot since this franchise has never and will never spend to the point where they'll be anywhere near the cap ceiling. Besides, goalies of his calibre deserve to make what he does. If anything, for a team that always struggles to reach the cap floor, Luongo's caphit may actually be a positive.

Goalies with higher cap hits:

1. Rinne, Pekka $7,000,000
2. Lundqvist, Henrik $6,875,000
3. Price, Carey $6,500,000
4. Ward, Cam $6,300,000
5. Miller, Ryan $6,250,000
6. Backstrom, Niklas $6,000,000
7. Kiprusoff, Miikka $5,833,333
8. Bryzgalov, Ilya $5,666,667

Out of that group, I'd only take Lundqvist over Luongo.

Stop bringing up his age. Thirty-three is not even kind of old for a goalie.

Brodeur: 40
Nabokov: 37
Kiprusoff: 35
Vokoun: 36
Khabibulin: 39
Thomas: 38
Theodore: 36
Garon: 34
Giguere: 35

Ed Belfour was starting for Florida at the age of 42.

Stop bringing up "we'll trade for a forward before we trade for a goalie." Does this team have trouble scoring? Of course. Always has. But they'll solve that through the draft. Let's stop pretending that we'll be players in the trade market for Top-6 forwards because, first off, Top-6 forwards are hardly ever available, and when one is made available (i.e. Bobby Ryan), you know damn well the asking price will be a lot more than we'll pay for Luongo.

Stop bringing up Markstrom and how Luongo's acquisition will stifle the Swede. Depth at ANY position is a good thing. And if Markstrom demands and trade/returns to Sweden because he doesn't ant to wait (which I doubt he does), then good riddance.
Wow I have to try this position in court:

"Hey stop bringing up all your counter arguments".

Old
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
I have a better idea, stop bringing up this trade.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
His contract pays him a Top-10 starter's salary until he is 39 (the next 6 seasons; he'll turn 39 at the very end of the '17-'18 season), a very reasonable age to still be expecting him to be a very good starter. Brodeur, Kiprusoff and Thomas are all similar caphits through nearly the same age, or beyond. After that, he collects an avg. of $1.75M per season over the final 4 years of the deal. How much are you expecting to pay a decent back-up, be it Luongo or someone else?

Look at Rolo? You mean the same Dwayne Rolson who carried the Lightning to within 1 game of the Stanley Cup Finals less than 6 months from his 42nd birthday? Is this supposed to be evidence against Luongo? Because it sure doesn't seem that way.
Thing is you dont have to be a top 10 goalie to be a Stanley Cup contender. As you pointed out, Rolo wasnt and he carried the Lightning pretty far. Guys like Osgood, Niemi, etc have won Stanley Cups and most wouldnt say they were even considered among the top 10 goalies that yr. All you need is a goalie that gets hot for the stretch run.

So why should we trade for a guy who is a top 10 paid goalie if he's not going to actually make us a cup contender (though that isnt his fault, specifically)? We just arent at the stage where we could benefit from having Luongo in net with the team that will be around him. We need to be patient and let Tallon continue to do what he's done which is complete our rebuild via stopgaps, allow the youth to develop and then when we're ready to, add the appropriate pieces to make us cup contenders.

Old
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
harv3317

luongo does not fit into our blueprint!!!!!

Closed Thread