HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?
Yea 42 36.21%
Nay 74 63.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 06:28 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Under CBA I take it 'cash' cannot be included in trades ala the Gretzky trade.

If it were still allowed (and I'm pretty sure it's not) it would grease the wheels on a lot of these trades.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Under CBA I take it 'cash' cannot be included in trades ala the Gretzky trade.

If it were still allowed (and I'm pretty sure it's not) it would grease the wheels on a lot of these trades.
If an amnesty clause is included in the new CBA, which is likely since the new NBA CBA has one, then Luongo will likely be bought out and he could sign for Florida cheaper and without the Panthers giving up any assets. Even I would welcome that, if the new contract is $3mil or less per year!

Old
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
If Schneider starting what, 3 games during the playoffs? And Lu getting all ******** about that doesn't sound me-first attitude, then I don't know what does.
Care to show me where Luongo has shown an indication of being "********"? If you actually followed the situation he was very supportive of Cory and the team's decision. Obviously he's going to want to be a starter somewhere, but so does every goaltender.

Quote:
If he was so cool and team first about the situation, why isn't he staying in Vancouver? Exactly.
Because Schneider is likely looking at $3M+ contract, more if it's long term, and having $8M+ cap hit tied up in goaltending long term isn't exactly an ideal situation.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
If an amnesty clause is included in the new CBA, which is likely since the new NBA CBA has one, then Luongo will likely be bought out and he could sign for Florida cheaper and without the Panthers giving up any assets. Even I would welcome that, if the new contract is $3mil or less per year!
Lu would still get 5 from some team even if he got bought out with the amnesty clause. For a short term contract, of course.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
According to one of Vancouver's beat writers, Gillis is asking for one of our top 4 prospects for Loungo.
Who are Florida's top 4 prospects not including Markstrom? Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Grimaldi and Petrovic?

Old
06-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Lu would still get 5 from some team even if he got bought out with the amnesty clause. For a short term contract, of course.
Oh, I'm sure but it won't be in Sunrise. If money was that much of a concern to him, he would be willing to waive his NTC for teams other than Florida. Since he isn't, have to believe Florida would be getting a discount, just don't know how much to make it worth it for us.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Who are Florida's top 4 prospects not including Markstrom? Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Grimaldi and Petrovic?
There's also Howden, Hyman, and Perovic

06-24-2012, 06:53 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Care to show me where Luongo has shown an indication of being "********"? If you actually followed the situation he was very supportive of Cory and the team's decision. Obviously he's going to want to be a starter somewhere, but so does every goaltender.
This is what's so hilarious about the whole Luongo situation. You guys preach on and on that how much of a team guy Lu is and is willing to sit on the bench. And in the same breath, you say the obvious about the whole situation, that he wants to be a number 1 somewhere else.

Quote:
Because Schneider is likely looking at $3M+ contract, more if it's long term, and having $8M+ cap hit tied up in goaltending long term isn't exactly an ideal situation.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Huber, Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
This is what's so hilarious about the whole Luongo situation. You guys preach on and on that how much of a team guy Lu is and is willing to sit on the bench. And in the same breath, you say the obvious about the whole situation, that he wants to be a number 1 somewhere else.

His wanting to be a #1 doesn't mean he's not a team guy.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
His wanting to be a #1 doesn't mean he's not a team guy.
He's giving up pretty easily on the #1 spot on a contenter. A guy who gives up that easily only cares for his own ass and looks to go where the fence is the lowest, and isn't a team guy.

He's not the saint that Canucks fans make him look like.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
There's also Howden, Hyman, and Perovic
Hyman? Really?

I'm gonna add Robak/Trocheck/Rau to the list of prospects Nucks can't have. So called top-prospects.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Hyman? Really?

I'm gonna add Robak/Trocheck/Rau to the list of prospects Nucks can't have. So called top-prospects.
Calm down, just a name in my head that's a good prospect. Lol, geez

Old
06-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
He's giving up pretty easily on the #1 spot on a contenter. A guy who gives up that easily only cares for his own ass and looks to go where the fence is the lowest, and isn't a team guy.

You obviously haven't been following the situation in Vancouver at all.

So are you saying that if Luongo publicly stated he was going to refuse to waive his NTC even if the Canucks decided to go with Schneider as the #1 going forward that would indicate that he was a team player? But with him publicly saying that he would be happy to remain in Vancouver, or go elsewhere, he's not being a team player?

Him wanting to be the starter, either in Vancouver or elsewhere, doesn't make him a bad team player in the least. If he comes out and demands for either him or Cory to be dealt, then that would be a different situation, but up until this point he's been very supportive of both Cory and the Canucks.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

That's a stretch, and we dont know what's been said begin closed doors. You're being a bit harsh. He has groomed Schneider, he was good to the fans here (when I met him several times), but he is a bit of a prima dona.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Seems pretty straightforward to me. Up until this point he's been a great team player with Cory getting more games but only a fool would believe any competitive player would want to stay in that situation long term. Don't see why that's so difficult to comprehend.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:34 PM
RainingRats

Hell no. That contract is not something we should be taking on for a position we've never had an issue with. We had great goaltending last season with Theo and Clemmer. We have Markstrom possibly next season or a year away.

If we're taking on a big contract it should be for offensive help. Our weakness is far and away scoring goals. Give that money to Semin or towards Parise before we get a goalie who we don't really need.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Erick

Quote:
At least those contracts run out during this decade..

You make it sound like Jovo, Kopecky and Upshall had jack **** to do with our succees this year. Sure they're overpaid by a few million, but they're an important piece of the team and know their role.

Luongo's 6.7 million salary for 6 years and me-first attitude just screams trouble.

Seriously, how do people still complain about Upshall's salary?

Wake up everyone, this is 2012 not 2005. 3rd liners are getting 3/3.5 million these days easily.
I never once mentioned Kopecky, but yeah...I'll take Luongo's contract over his, as well. I don't think Kopecky is as important as some make him out to be. He's basically a very good 4th liner on a Stanley Cup caliber team. I'll take a #1 goalie over that.

Jovanovski was a liability last year. You'd rather have his contract instead of Luongo's?

Upshall had...well, nothing to do with our success last year. What did he do? Score one goal? He missed most of the season as he usually does because he's been injury prone his whole career.

3.5 for a checking line player is overpayment especially when the checking line player (Upshall) is not a checking line player. Upshall was brought in to score and he had a whole lot of trouble finishing last year. Aside from scoring, what exactly does he do well? Kill penalties? Nope.

These guys are overpaid and hurting us just as much, if not more, than a potential Luongo contract.

Jovo and Upshall were literally liabilities last year. Spin it anyway you'd like, but facts are facts.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Hell no. That contract is not something we should be taking on for a position we've never had an issue with. We had great goaltending last season with Theo and Clemmer. We have Markstrom possibly next season or a year away.

If we're taking on a big contract it should be for offensive help. Our weakness is far and away scoring goals. Give that money to Semin or towards Parise before we get a goalie who we don't really need.
Markstrom is staying in the A next year.

Clemmer might not comeback. Even if Clemmer does comeback, there is no guarantee that the Theo/Clemmer duo works the same way it did last year. Based on their careers, it's safe to say we won't get the same type of goaltending next year with the same duo.

Luongo would provide stability in net. You wouldn't want him if all we had to do was give back a bad contract or two? Vancouver is losing leverage; it won't take much to get Luongo.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I never once mentioned Kopecky, but yeah...I'll take Luongo's contract over his, as well. I don't think Kopecky is as important as some make him out to be. He's basically a very good 4th liner on a Stanley Cup caliber team. I'll take a #1 goalie over that.

Jovanovski was a liability last year. You'd rather have his contract instead of Luongo's?

Upshall had...well, nothing to do with our success last year. What did he do? Score one goal? He missed most of the season as he usually does because he's been injury prone his whole career.

3.5 for a checking line player is overpayment especially when the checking line player (Upshall) is not a checking line player. Upshall was brought in to score and he had a whole lot of trouble finishing last year. Aside from scoring, what exactly does he do well? Kill penalties? Nope.

These guys are overpaid and hurting us just as much, if not more, than a potential Luongo contract.

Jovo and Upshall were literally liabilities last year. Spin it anyway you'd like, but facts are facts.
I get what you're saying; look at the contract compared to what they bring and what their responsibilities are. Jovo, a third pairing d-man is by far the most overpaid. Upshall a third line winger is also more overpaid than Lou, a #1 goalie. But the issue is with the length of of Lou's contract. In three or four years it will be what Jovo's is now.

It's just not necessary to take on, especially without us being able to dump bad money Van's way.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:43 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Markstrom is staying in the A next year.

Clemmer might not comeback. Even if Clemmer does comeback, there is no guarantee that the Theo/Clemmer duo works the same way it did last year. Based on their careers, it's safe to say we won't get the same type of goaltending next year with the same duo.

Luongo would provide stability in net. You wouldn't want him if all we had to do was give back a bad contract or two? Vancouver is losing leverage; it won't take much to get Luongo.
There's no guarantee Luongo would excel here. Markstrom will more than likely be in the A but he could win a backup role in training camp. Stranger things have happened.

If we can give back two bad contracts, I'd be for it. What motivation does Van have in trading him for two bad contracts? Why not keep him?

Old
06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
So are you saying that if Luongo publicly stated he was going to refuse to waive his NTC even if the Canucks decided to go with Schneider as the #1 going forward that would indicate that he was a team player? But with him publicly saying that he would be happy to remain in Vancouver, or go elsewhere, he's not being a team player?
I'm not doubting his ability to be a team guy previous to the Kings series.

What Lu should have said is that he's looking forward to challenge Schneider, reclaim his number 1 status and come back next season better than ever. That's what motivated and ambitious sound like, and that's what you need to keep the 2 guys competive.

When the guy whom happens to be a former Vezina candidate, Gold medalist and a bona fide number 1 goalie, submits to (okay face would be quite fitting here lol) the position of backup so easily, that just screams "I'm unhappy, trade me" no matter what Lu says to the media or the fans.

A player that is unhappy isn't much of a team guy as far as I'm concerned.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Again Soupy, I think you're off, and he has said he's wiling to stay.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:05 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
You don't see the big picture. Lu might be a number 1 goalie, but all of these guys are important for the team in their own way. And the best thing, they're all UFAs at July 1st 2015. Lu is under contract for at least 2018 when his big money years end.

Funny that you complain about these guys being overpaid, yet you'd take Lu at 6,7x6..

I've already said it, if Tallon is looking for a new number 1 goalie I'd bet my money more on Niemi. He's younger, cheaper, not signed to a eternity contract and has a history with Tallon.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

Quote:
Again Soupy, I think you're off, and he has said he's wiling to stay.
To the media.. When was the last time a player of his calibre flat out admitted during a post game/end of season interview to numerous media outlets that he wants out?

Closed Thread