HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Trade for Luongo, Yea or Nay?
Yea 42 36.21%
Nay 74 63.79%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  #101
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
agreed. Luongo could certainly return to his glory days being between the pipes for us. He has a lot left in the tank and would be a huge upgrade in goal for us. A lot of people still hate how he was traded by Keenan and would welcome him back and i would certainly do the same. I only wish Vancouver would take Jovonavski back in the deal but I dont think they would...
Sure he has alot left in the tank..could you pls define alot? till hes 40+ or 3 more years?

Alot of people ont know wat happened in that trade, which we have exhausted here ad nauseum...the other side being his (agent) arrogant request aft request after request...but thats spilled milk and with all his playoff disasters Im sure we will see a more humble Louie now.

adam graves is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:39 PM
  #102
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Nah, I've seen plenty of Louie and am intelligent enough to have my own opinion.
Agreed ...

adam graves is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:51 PM
  #103
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,558
vCash: 500
Luongo presents an upgrade. He'll probably only play for about 5 more years, 6 at the most. If not, then after that we can just dump his contract. There is also a team option to trade him after year 5. As long as we don't give up any top prospects, it's a solid move in order to keep pace in the conference. Luongo's contract isn't going to prevent us from paying Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic, Shore, etc. Luongo will be retired by then. Also, if he has a NTC, I assume we could just opt not to pick up the NTC when we acquire him. I'm pretty sure all NTC's are the same that way.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  #104
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP
 
MillarWithASave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Luongo presents an upgrade. He'll probably only play for about 5 more years, 6 at the most. If not, then after that we can just dump his contract. There is also a team option to trade him after year 5. As long as we don't give up any top prospects, it's a solid move in order to keep pace in the conference. Luongo's contract isn't going to prevent us from paying Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic, Shore, etc. Luongo will be retired by then. Also, if he has a NTC, I assume we could just opt not to pick up the NTC when we acquire him. I'm pretty sure all NTC's are the same that way.
Agreed. If Tallon stays by his words and we don't give up any prospects for Luo, I think everyone can agree it's an upgrade.

MillarWithASave is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
  #105
Rem
PbP is what I spit
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
You guys should stay away from him. You already have a young exciting team and bringing in his ego and contract will hurt your team. He's seriously the most over rated "elite" goalie in the NHL.

That said, I hope he stays in Vancouver and cripples the team for years to come.

Rem is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
  #106
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Luongo presents an upgrade. He'll probably only play for about 5 more years, 6 at the most. If not, then after that we can just dump his contract. There is also a team option to trade him after year 5. As long as we don't give up any top prospects, it's a solid move in order to keep pace in the conference. Luongo's contract isn't going to prevent us from paying Bjugstad, Howden, Petrovic, Shore, etc. Luongo will be retired by then. Also, if he has a NTC, I assume we could just opt not to pick up the NTC when we acquire him. I'm pretty sure all NTC's are the same that way.
Agreed, and either way, it comes with option to move him. May have to take on a bad contract, but should we choose just to waive him, he won't want to play in the minors.

__________________
Noooo, no you can't have Ekblad!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
  #107
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
There's no guarantee Luongo would excel here. Markstrom will more than likely be in the A but he could win a backup role in training camp. Stranger things have happened.

If we can give back two bad contracts, I'd be for it. What motivation does Van have in trading him for two bad contracts? Why not keep him?
Luongo will excel anywhere he goes, relatively speaking. If by excel one means he will perform as a top 10 goalie, then yes. His contract is not pretty, no. His numbers though are great and have been his whole career. I don't see why that would change next season. He put up Vezina worthy performances for the Panthers when those teams were 10 times worse than this team.

Vancouver would like to trade him if they can get a decent deal obviously. Gillis knows he'll have to take back some salary. As long as we throw in a mid-level prospect or two. A player like Upshall can contribute for them in their bottom 6. So it's not just a waste of cap space for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
You know, I really hope this wraps up soon. If we are arguing about this come August, and maybe even September, man... That's going to suck.

I don't want to do that.
I would think if Luongo isn't traded within the next couple weeks, then he's not coming here. We have to shape our roster and we can't suddenly turn around and add his contract in late July or August when the team is already set and most of the budget accounted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Sure he has alot left in the tank..could you pls define alot? till hes 40+ or 3 more years?

Alot of people ont know wat happened in that trade, which we have exhausted here ad nauseum...the other side being his (agent) arrogant request aft request after request...but thats spilled milk and with all his playoff disasters Im sure we will see a more humble Louie now.
He won't be playing in his 40's. His contract was designed so that he would get most of the money ending at age 39. If he does still want to play after that, it won't be for the Panthers.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
  #108
harv3317
Registered User
 
harv3317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
luongo's contract will hurt us. he's proven he's not a pressure goalie. he's good during the regular season, but not at crunch time. you guys give theo and clemmer way too little credit!!! both of them stole multiple games and got us in the playoffs. luongo is not waht we need with that contract. i don't see it happening unless the nucks take a bunch of our salary dumps and we absolutely win the trade hands down. louies contract is an albertrose, worse than gomez's and he didn't do much to help montreal and actually hindered them with his contract. louies is far worse. i absolutely don't think he is the answer and in reality will cause us problems for many years to come!!!!!

harv3317 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
  #109
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
You guys should stay away from him. You already have a young exciting team and bringing in his ego and contract will hurt your team. He's seriously the most over rated "elite" goalie in the NHL.

That said, I hope he stays in Vancouver and cripples the team for years to come.
He does not have an ego. He never requested to be traded. It was the fans in Vancouver and the media piling on that has basically forced this. Gillis knows he has to move him now at some point. I'm sure Luongo would be fine staying there but he knows they probably want to keep the younger, cheaper guy.

His elite days may be over, but he's still a top 10 goalie. Look at his numbers, you can count the number of goalies with better numbers going back more than a decade on one hand. He would give us a great chance to be a playoff team for the next few years. With Theo/Clemmer and then Markstrom after that, it's far less certain. There is no bigger Markstrom supporter than me, but I don't like the idea of him coming in and being thrown into the fire right away. I'd like him to be eased in.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:44 PM
  #110
Erick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
You don't see the big picture. Lu might be a number 1 goalie, but all of these guys are important for the team in their own way. And the best thing, they're all UFAs at July 1st 2015. Lu is under contract for at least 2018 when his big money years end.

Funny that you complain about these guys being overpaid, yet you'd take Lu at 6,7x6..

I've already said it, if Tallon is looking for a new number 1 goalie I'd bet my money more on Niemi. He's younger, cheaper, not signed to a eternity contract and has a history with Tallon.
I don't think you're looking at the "big picture."

You seem to be too worried about the very long-term while ignoring the present.

Just like Luongo's contract might hurt us in...2018 or whatever...the contracts of guys like Scottie Upshall are hurting us in 2012.

As things stand, we go into next year as a bubble team to make the playoffs. We won the division last year with 94 points and it's quite possible that there were some overachievements. We should be preparing for the worst and try to upgrade however we can to make sure we're back in the playoffs.

A bad contract in 2018 is irrelevant to me.
For one, lots of things can happen from now to then.

Secondly, by 2018, I expect this team to be so good that we'll be able to overcome some bad contracts. The Kulikov's, Gudbranson's, Huberdeau's, Bjugstad's, Howden's, Petrovic, Markstrom, etc., etc., should be well developed by then. I don't expect all of them to meet expectations, but some of them should become stars (the current team lacks stars).

By 2018, I expect us to have multiple stars to the point that we'll be able to overcome some bad contracts (much like the Blackhawks did with Cristobal Huet the year they won the Cup).

Right now, we need help for next year. Luongo qualifies as help for next year. Depending on what we'd give up, I'll take him. It's not a matter of "might be a #1 goalie;" Luongo IS a #1 goalie. "Might be a #1 goalie" is a guy like Jose Theodore.

And again, the Canucks are losing leverage. It's up to them. It's getting to the point that if the Nucks want to trade Luongo, we'll get him without giving up much in return. Reports now say he's not willing to go to Toronto or Chicago. All indications are that Luongo wants to be a Panther again.


Last edited by Erick: 06-25-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Erick is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
  #111
Erick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
luongo's contract will hurt us. he's proven he's not a pressure goalie. he's good during the regular season, but not at crunch time. you guys give theo and clemmer way too little credit!!!
Luongo's career #'s are identical, playoffs and regular season.

Luongo career postseason #'s: 32-29, 2.53 GAA, .916 save %, 5 shutouts
Theodore career postseason #'s: 21-30, 2.79 GAA, .912 save %, 2 shutouts.

You can't really say that Luongo isn't a "pressure goalie" and then basically say Theo is underrated.

Bottom line is, the media only hates on Luongo because he plays in Vancouver where it's Stanley Cup or bust.

At the end of the year, we gave Theo credit for a great year because we appreciated what he did. In Vancouver, he would've been labeled a choker for the game-winning goal he gave up against the Devils in game 7.

Erick is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
  #112
lefty2time*
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Canucks fan here.

Luongo was great last season, aside from his slow start...he was damn near unbeatleable for a good chunk of the season.
He's a top end goalie no dobut....he's not selfish anymore too..he's a real team first guy. His attitude has changed so much since he started in Van.
Ppl say he struggles in the playoffs..but he been nominated for the vezna, two pres trophies, won the jennings, got to game 7 of the finals...all in all he's not the best..but he's top 10.
Ugly contract....but stuipd people get hung up on the whole 10 year thing. EVERYONE knows he's going to retire before that. This is a cap circumventing contract. This would NOT be allowed in todays CBA. Still an ugly contract..but you're not stuck with him for 10 years.

I think T.O is a good idea. FLA has a young goalie 1 or 2 years away..no use getting Luongo for 2 years then trading him again.

lefty2time* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 03:22 PM
  #113
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I don't think you're looking at the "big picture."

You seem to be too worried about the very long-term while ignoring the present.

Just like Luongo's contract might hurt us in...2018 or whatever...the contracts of guys like Scottie Upshall are hurting us in 2012.

As things stand, we go into next year as a bubble team to make the playoffs. We won the division last year with 94 points and it's quite possible that there were some overachievements. We should be preparing for the worst and try to upgrade however we can to make sure we're back in the playoffs.

A bad contract in 2018 is irrelevant to me.
For one, lots of things can happen from now to then.

Secondly, by 2018, I expect this team to be so good that we'll be able to overcome some bad contracts. The Kulikov's, Gudbranson's, Huberdeau's, Bjugstad's, Howden's, Petrovic, Markstrom, etc., etc., should be well developed by then. I don't expect all of them to meet expectations, but some of them should become stars (the current team lacks stars).

By 2018, I expect us to have multiple stars to the point that we'll be able to overcome some bad contracts (much like the Blackhawks did with Cristobal Huet the year they won the Cup).

Right now, we need help for next year. Luongo qualifies as help for next year. Depending on what we'd give up, I'll take him. It's not a matter of "might be a #1 goalie;" Luongo IS a #1 goalie. "Might be a #1 goalie" is a guy like Jose Theodore.

And again, the Canucks are losing leverage. It's up to them. It's getting to the point that if the Nucks want to trade Luongo, we'll get him without giving up much in return. Reports now say he's not willing to go to Toronto or Chicago. All indications are that Luongo wants to be a Panther again.
I agree with this 100%. I loved lu when he was a Panther and I would love it if he returned.. The only question I have is , what happens when Markstrom is ready to take over? Is Lu the backup?
I also want to say something to the masses here. People call Lu a choke artist and says he doesn't handle pressure when it comes to playoffs. I do remember him taking his team to the Stanley Cup finals, game 7. Win or lose, it's a team game. You can put blame on Lu for the loss, but what happened to the rest of the team? Why not put it on the hands of the twins? If DopitaToDemitra is right, then I do want Lu back , even with the bad contract. He may become humbled by being home, in a Panther uniform, surrounded by fans who cheer for this team win or lose. He may want to prove to the NHL that he still is an elite goaltender, much like Lebron did, and just get back to basics to help this team out. I think our goaltending would be so much better with a Luongo/Theo tandom, followed by Luongo/Markstrom with Markstrom eventually taking the starter role.

Pantherfan12 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 03:36 PM
  #114
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 966
So there are rumors that Luongo has shortened his list with teams to FLA only?

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Told by very good source #Canucks G Roberto Luongo has - to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to #Blackhawks or #Leafs.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Only place Luongo is willing to be traded, as of today, is back to the Florida #Panthers.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Luongo using the power of his no-trade to "steer" a trade to #Panthers as much as possible at this point in off-season.

Boothinator is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
  #115
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
So there are rumors that Luongo has shortened his list with teams to FLA only?

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Told by very good source #Canucks G Roberto Luongo has - to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to #Blackhawks or #Leafs.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Only place Luongo is willing to be traded, as of today, is back to the Florida #Panthers.

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
Luongo using the power of his no-trade to "steer" a trade to #Panthers as much as possible at this point in off-season.
Yer late Nator! We'll see how this plays out...

Laus723 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
  #116
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator
 
Boothinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yer late Nator! We'll see how this plays out...
Oops my bad

We better not think about it . It will anyway become different than we think

Boothinator is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 03:55 PM
  #117
Tuco
Registered User
 
Tuco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
Oops my bad

We better not think about it . It will anyway become different than we think
Think everything's been said about this and now the talk is just going in circles. Like your idea. See what happens, think it's possible we'll know something during this week.

Tuco is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
  #118
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,850
vCash: 500
I'd like to see where all of these Yea votes are coming from.

Boooooth10 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
  #119
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
I'd like to see where all of these Yea votes are coming from.
4legs, Catsfan7, FlowMaster, HockeyRulez, jol, Knightmare, kushh, Markstrom Rules, MaximLapierre, oceanchild, Pantherkidd101, PanthersHockey1, Papa044, pb1300, PBPantherfan, schism, StrangeVision, Tyler Durden

adam graves is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
  #120
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 6,850
vCash: 500
^^^ How can you see who voted for what?

Boooooth10 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
  #121
Burrows Bite
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 315
vCash: 500
As a unbiased Canuack fan, I think Florida could become a really good team. Add Luongo and you got some high end prospects comming up. A energized Luongo with no heavy media presure is scary. I think he would be atleast a finalist for vezina next year. Then once this team becomes good, it will be really easy to target UFA's cause of the weather and no state tax.

Burrows Bite is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:43 PM
  #122
Egblad
I May Be The Stig
 
Egblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
^^^ How can you see who voted for what?
Click on the number of votes each option has. It is a hyperlink.

Egblad is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:49 PM
  #123
codeyh
HFB Partner
 
codeyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cellblock 303
Country: United States
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Just gonna leave this here....

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8466141

codeyh is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
  #124
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Uhhhh

Laus723 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  #125
Egblad
I May Be The Stig
 
Egblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 9,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Uhhhh
I don't get it.

Egblad is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.