HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 01:02 PM
  #1
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Part IV: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1125147
Part III: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1103231
Part II: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1094241
Part I: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=908743
Nickname thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1096759



http://www.seattle.gov/arena/
http://www.king5.com/news/arena
http://www.sonicsarena.com/

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 01:11 PM
  #2
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Hansen Group has plans to make Key Arena a viable interim option for an NHL team. This is the most specific info I have seen to date on Key improvements for the NHL. This thing is steaming ahead with a vote likely in August. Good news for Seattle NHL fans.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...do-arena-plan/

Refinish of team and official locker rooms and other key BOH (back of house) areas.
Reconfiguration of event level space to create NHL and NBA team suites, with modern amenities and infrastructure.
Upgrade data and audio/visual backbones to bring the building to more modern standards.
Add a semi-permanent event level club.
Refinish a portion of lower bowl seats.
Renovate three lower level concessions concourses.
Remodel existing Champions Club.
Reconfigure sports lighting to NHL standards.
Add camera locations consistent with modern league standards.
Create NHL replay review room.
Refurbish ice making equipment.
Refurbish retractable seating sections.

POS (point of sale, or checking stands) fixed-position upgrades.
Refurbish fixed kitchen equipment.
Upgrade fixed bowl signage program.
Required life safety improvements

The Key refurb plan is obviously very focused on satisfying NHL temp facility requirements as best as possible.

JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
  #3
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
Can we get this stickied?

superdeluxe is online now  
Old
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
  #4
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 29,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Can we get this stickied?

So be it. The topic refuses to fall off the front page.

Fugu is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 03:23 PM
  #5
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
It makes you wonder, we all know Gary Bettman's first (stated/public) priority is to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, however if that doesn't go through you wonder if he's trying to hold out long enough for Seattle to get ready?

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 03:31 PM
  #6
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Nice overview of the proposal in this article.

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/art...632.php#page-1

I do think this will pass. Councils will vote by mid-Aug and the formal opposition really hasn't come forward like in past proposals, but then again, this is a great proposal for the city.


http://www.seattle.gov/council/issues/arena.htm

maruk14 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 03:39 PM
  #7
OilersFan1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
It makes you wonder, we all know Gary Bettman's first (stated/public) priority is to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, however if that doesn't go through you wonder if he's trying to hold out long enough for Seattle to get ready?
I have wondered this myself on more than one occasion. If you believe the gloom and doom that some people are talking about then it very well could be that the NHL lose some chunk of this season, even if it's only four weeks or so. Bettman and Co. are definitely holding out for something, whether it's QC or Seattle, but I'd have to think they'd prefer to relocate to Seattle and EXPAND to QC because they could make so much more that way. These coming months could be very exciting for one of those cities, especially if expansion becomes a point in the CBA negotiations as a way of the players agreeing to cut back on their revenue percentage (or whatever it's called). Guess we'll see how this plays out!

OilersFan1978 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 09:41 PM
  #8
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,614
vCash: 1
The fact that the Yotes seem to be poised to stay for at least one more year certainly is good news for Seattle's chances, as it effectively gives them more time to catch up to QC should the axe ever fall on that team's relocation block.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 08:18 AM
  #9
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?

superdeluxe is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
  #10
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,772
vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?
I don't see 5 teams in that bad shape. The only current candidates (barring a major economic collapse) are Phoenix (beyond obvious) and the Islanders in 2015 (look Ma, no arena). Other teams that you hear about that are probably NOT moving are...
  • New Jersey - a so-so market that will do OK once the current arena debt is resolved, via chapter 11 if necessary
  • Florida/Miami - the owners make a profit overall on the team plus arena management contract. The management contract is contingent on the team being there, so they're not selling. Plus the lease has a penalty clause.
  • Columbus - the city has taken over the arena, and given the Blue Jackets a better deal, greatly reducing the red ink

knorthern knight is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  #11
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
I have wondered this myself on more than one occasion. If you believe the gloom and doom that some people are talking about then it very well could be that the NHL lose some chunk of this season, even if it's only four weeks or so. Bettman and Co. are definitely holding out for something, whether it's QC or Seattle, but I'd have to think they'd prefer to relocate to Seattle and EXPAND to QC because they could make so much more that way. These coming months could be very exciting for one of those cities, especially if expansion becomes a point in the CBA negotiations as a way of the players agreeing to cut back on their revenue percentage (or whatever it's called). Guess we'll see how this plays out!
One thing is sure. If Coyotes stay one more year, Glendale doesn't seem to be ready to pay the losses for the next year.

So, a move to either Seattle or Quebec will be reflected in a roughly $40M increased price. You know NHL won't flush down $40M and still sell for $170M.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
  #12
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 24,614
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?
Yotes and that's it at this point, imho.

Columbus just got an arena financing deal done, alleviating a lot of their structural financial issues.

New Jersey's issues are merely from owner problems and debt from the arena, not with the viability of a franchise in that market.

Florida isn't on the chopping block, despite what many have said in a million places, as they're an important part of an overall real estate development plan that is making money for their owners.

Isles look like they're more interested in biting the bullet and playing in Barclays over moving elsewhere. Plus, if memory serves, when discussions of Wang potentially selling have come up, there have been several interested parties in keeping them on Long Island, even if they move into the city itself.

Dallas is in an odd situation, but for the life of me I just don't see them moving.

So that really only leaves the Yotes for the foreseeable future, which is one of the reasons why I've often said that fans that want teams in QC or Seattle or Hamilton or Markham or KC or Houston or wherever better be hoping that the league is planning an expansion in the near future as is being rumored in a few circles, as that's likely their best and only chance for a long while.

No Fun Shogun is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
  #13
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yotes and that's it at this point, imho.

Columbus just got an arena financing deal done, alleviating a lot of their structural financial issues.

New Jersey's issues are merely from owner problems and debt from the arena, not with the viability of a franchise in that market.

Florida isn't on the chopping block, despite what many have said in a million places, as they're an important part of an overall real estate development plan that is making money for their owners.

Isles look like they're more interested in biting the bullet and playing in Barclays over moving elsewhere. Plus, if memory serves, when discussions of Wang potentially selling have come up, there have been several interested parties in keeping them on Long Island, even if they move into the city itself.

Dallas is in an odd situation, but for the life of me I just don't see them moving.

So that really only leaves the Yotes for the foreseeable future, which is one of the reasons why I've often said that fans that want teams in QC or Seattle or Hamilton or Markham or KC or Houston or wherever better be hoping that the league is planning an expansion in the near future as is being rumored in a few circles, as that's likely their best and only chance for a long while.
Expansion is coming i am sure. When the news of the Mayor of Quebec City meeting with Bettman came out a few years ago, Daly and Bettman when they talked on TV and Radio said often that expansion is in the cards. I believe it will be a tool to use for the NHL in the next CBA talks.

Undertakerqc is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
  #14
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,906
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So if people are to rate what are the top 5 teams that might move, who would those teams be?
1. Coyotes
2. NY Islanders (when their lease expires)

Are the obvious ones.

3. Florida is always mentioned but their fans always pipe up saying they can't lose the team and keep the money generating operations fo the arena.

cheswick is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 08:41 PM
  #15
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Hansen in the Seattle Times: Chris Hansen explains the motivation behind his quest to bring NBA and NHL franchises to Seattle

Nuclear SUV is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
  #16
Dowisetrepla
Registered User
 
Dowisetrepla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington State
Country: United States
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
Expansion is also a potential way to help resolve the CBA dispute. Whatever the merits of adding teams and possibly diluting the product, creating 40+ more slots for players may be the carrot to get the union to agree to the owners getting a higher percentage of revenues.

adding 2 teams to create a 32 team league would also presumably simplify concerns over realignment

Dowisetrepla is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:26 PM
  #17
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowisetrepla View Post
Expansion is also a potential way to help resolve the CBA dispute. Whatever the merits of adding teams and possibly diluting the product, creating 40+ more slots for players may be the carrot to get the union to agree to the owners getting a higher percentage of revenues.

adding 2 teams to create a 32 team league would also presumably simplify concerns over realignment
While expansion can serve as a solution to some problems you gotta ask your self a question if it's the right solution. An expansion won't stop teams like Coyotes from bleeding money. It won't solve the upcoming Islanders arena issues, it won't pull out NJDevils out of potential BK...it could make things just worse.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
  #18
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Parking update

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 10:56 AM
  #19
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?
Helps with the parking concern. 6th and Royal Brougham is near the stadium light rail station.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:01 AM
  #20
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/sea...160317455.html

Chris Daniels reports that the county council yesterday approved a deal with the stadium authority to allow public use of the Metro garage at 6th and Royal Brougham on game nights. More info is in the linked story. I'm guessing this parking will replace the existing north lot at Century Link, which is scheduled to be torn out for condos and such.

As a location primer for those not familiar with this area, this is a bit of a walk - three long blocks - from both Safeco and Century Link, and requires a crossing of busy 4th Avenue S.

Thoughts?
Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
  #21
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.
Industrial, and I don't believe there's any sidewalks on Royal Brougham east of 4th, am I right on that, gstommylee?

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
  #22
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Are those 3 blocks commercial, industrial or residential. It might not be that hard to park your ride a bit early, then walk slowly to the arena while stopping at a nice restaurant or bar for a dinner and a drink before the game.
The parking garage is east of Safeco Field. Between Safeco Field and the garage is the rail tracks, a busy arterial, a block of transit operations, and the light rail line. Once at Safeco Field, there are plenty of bars along 1st Ave S. and along Occidental north of the ballpark. Pioneer Sq., a major bar/night spot is just north of CenturyLink Field.

East of the rail tracks is mainly industrial. But there are pockets of dining and retail. Many of the chain fast food joints are located along 4th Ave S. Filson's flagship store is across the rail tracks from the arena site. Outdoor Research's flagship store is also in the neighborhood as is Cutter & Buck (not sure if there is a store there).

Nuclear SUV is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 01:06 AM
  #23
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
I asked in a previous thread about the Tacoma Dome being a temp venue and I was told that the ice making capability has been removed. I wonder is it easier to put in ice making capacity to the Tacoma Dome than whatever needs to be done in the Key Arena.

aqib is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 01:17 AM
  #24
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
I asked in a previous thread about the Tacoma Dome being a temp venue and I was told that the ice making capability has been removed. I wonder is it easier to put in ice making capacity to the Tacoma Dome than whatever needs to be done in the Key Arena.
Except Hansen's agreement with the city explicitly requires that Key Arena be used as the temporary venue for any NHL or NBA franchise until the new arena opens - so that question is moot.

kdb209 is offline  
Old
06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
  #25
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Seattle Councilman Richard Conlin appears to be a "no" on arena

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Seat...160462205.html

Story from Chris Daniels, with the text of an email the councilman sent out explaining his opposition.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.