HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2012, 04:51 PM
  #226
snufkin
Registered User
 
snufkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Relocate the Florida Panthers to Seattle and rename them the Storm or Thunder or some reference to rain. Thoughts?
id be cool with the panthers, but not those names. we already have a WNBA team named the storm & the sonics are now the oaklahoma city thunder, so neither of those would work. and having a name to do with rain would be TOO corny.

im a big fan of using one of the previous names (totems and metros), as is everyone else i've heard from, but i don't think either of them are realistic. i dont think we'd use mets because of the baseball team under the same name, and the canucks already kind of have a monopoly on native american styling. anything totems related would look too similar to the canucks current logo. so i think something completely different and unique would be necessary.

as long as it's something that represents the pacific northwest, im cool with it...
seattle rainiers, seattle cascades, anything to do with salmon (sockeyes, chinook, steelhead), seattle pioneers, seattle emeralds, seattle mountaineers.... seattle sasquatch? idk something like those

snufkin is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 04:55 PM
  #227
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin View Post
id be cool with the panthers, but not those names. we already have a WNBA team named the storm & the sonics are now the oaklahoma city thunder, so neither of those would work. and having a name to do with rain would be TOO corny.

im a big fan of using one of the previous names (totems and metros), as is everyone else i've heard from, but i don't think either of them are realistic. i dont think we'd use mets because of the baseball team under the same name, and the canucks already kind of have a monopoly on native american styling. anything totems related would look too similar to the canucks current logo. so i think something completely different and unique would be necessary.

as long as it's something that represents the pacific northwest, im cool with it...
seattle rainiers, seattle cascades, anything to do with salmon (sockeyes, chinook, steelhead), seattle pioneers, seattle emeralds, seattle mountaineers.... seattle sasquatch? idk something like those
I suggested Chinooks in a thread on the NHL Talk board I think. That name fits the region and it sounds cool.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 05:39 PM
  #228
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 28,871
vCash: 1
Panthers ownership isn't looking to sell, guys. So stop bringing them up.

And the Isles ownership would invariably get more money from some developer in the NYC area for the team, especially with their cable revenue, then they would from someone elsewhere, so that's a no go, too.

BJs are troubled, that's for sure, but a lot of their problems are still up in the air, but might be seemingly solved with their new arena financing agreement that got passed earlier last year.

IMHO, it's the Yotes or bust for Seattle right now, as I honesty think that they're the only team likely to relocate in the next decade. And with an obviously strong competing bid from Quebec City, it'd be in your best interests if the widely discussed rumor of the league contemplating a two-team expansion in the near future turns out to be true.

As for the NBA and Seattle.... Kings, Grizzlies, and Bucks are probably your only chances in the next decade.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
09-15-2012, 07:29 PM
  #229
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Pretty sure the Grizzlies just got a new owner who's going to keep them in Memphis.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
09-15-2012, 10:43 PM
  #230
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin View Post
id be cool with the panthers, but not those names. we already have a WNBA team named the storm & the sonics are now the oaklahoma city thunder, so neither of those would work. and having a name to do with rain would be TOO corny.

im a big fan of using one of the previous names (totems and metros), as is everyone else i've heard from, but i don't think either of them are realistic. i dont think we'd use mets because of the baseball team under the same name, and the canucks already kind of have a monopoly on native american styling. anything totems related would look too similar to the canucks current logo. so i think something completely different and unique would be necessary.

as long as it's something that represents the pacific northwest, im cool with it...
seattle rainiers, seattle cascades, anything to do with salmon (sockeyes, chinook, steelhead), seattle pioneers, seattle emeralds, seattle mountaineers.... seattle sasquatch? idk something like those
Personally I like the green & black of the Totems:





Here's another option; I recently visted Seattle and took the underground tour, the tour guide refered to the Alaska-bound pioneers as the Stampeders. What about the Seattle Stampeders with the Alaska/Klondike type logo?

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:04 AM
  #231
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFan1978 View Post
As much as I love my Edmonton Oilers, there is a small part of me that hopes Daryl Katz keeps being ridiculous and ultimately moves them to Seattle once their lease expires in 2015, then I'd have a chance to see them play once in a while! That arena construction deal is looking shakier by the day...
How about watching the Oilers in Seattle when they're the visiting team

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:10 AM
  #232
snufkin
Registered User
 
snufkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Personally I like the green & black of the Totems:





Here's another option; I recently visted Seattle and took the underground tour, the tour guide refered to the Alaska-bound pioneers as the Stampeders. What about the Seattle Stampeders with the Alaska/Klondike type logo?
A slightly updated version of that logo would be brilliant. Love the colors as well.
And with doan's name on the back......

snufkin is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:25 AM
  #233
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Panthers ownership isn't looking to sell, guys. So stop bringing them up.

And the Isles ownership would invariably get more money from some developer in the NYC area for the team, especially with their cable revenue, then they would from someone elsewhere, so that's a no go, too.
I agree about the Panthers, because their presence is mandated by the arena management lease, which is profitable overall, even after counting the Panthers losses. The bottom line is profitable, which is all that matters.

I don't understand the "conventional wisdom" about the Isles' cable TV contract. To me, it's a microcosm of the current NHL lockout... yes, they're getting honking big revenues from cable TV, BUT THE TEAM IS LOSING MONEY OVERALL. The bottom line loses money, which is all that matters. The only chance I see for the Isles staying in the NY area is if the Barclay Centre's ownership buys them, getting access to various other revenue.

knorthern knight is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:30 AM
  #234
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Relocate the Florida Panthers to Seattle and rename them the Storm or Thunder or some reference to rain. Thoughts?


The Storm is the name of the Woman's league. The Thunder...welll just no

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:31 AM
  #235
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Pretty sure the Grizzlies just got a new owner who's going to keep them in Memphis.
I read he lost a ton of $$$$ and the NBA was looking into claims that he sold items to Iran that they shouldnt have.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:34 AM
  #236
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin View Post
A slightly updated version of that logo would be brilliant. Love the colors as well.
And with doan's name on the back......
I'm not really a fan of those colors. I love the green and blue thing Seattle teams have going. I'd like for them to keep that up if possible. Like a royal blue and forest green.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
09-16-2012, 01:47 AM
  #237
snufkin
Registered User
 
snufkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I'm not really a fan of those colors. I love the green and blue thing Seattle teams have going. I'd like for them to keep that up if possible. Like a royal blue and forest green.
Agreed, but i don't think it's an option with the canucks using those same exact colors.
Using one of blue/green would be deemed acceptable but probably not both...

snufkin is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
  #238
OilersFan1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
How about watching the Oilers in Seattle when they're the visiting team
Well, yeah, I guess I could do that too. I'm just thinking how fortuitous it would be for this opportunity to open up now if the Oilers do somehow end up relocating. For me, personally, this would be ideal; if my favorite team is going to move anyway it would be awesome if they moved to within five hours of me (central Oregon) so I could have a chance to theoretically see them play once or twice a year. I'd rather have the Oilers than the Islanders or Coyotes or whoever ends up relocating to Seattle (IF anybody ends up relocating there).

OilersFan1978 is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 11:59 AM
  #239
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 23,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Personally I like the green & black of the Totems:





Here's another option; I recently visted Seattle and took the underground tour, the tour guide refered to the Alaska-bound pioneers as the Stampeders. What about the Seattle Stampeders with the Alaska/Klondike type logo?
... those are brilliant, and I actually like the logo, semi-old-school, abstract. Add a stripe on the bottom of the jersey though, otherwise it just blends into the pants, a look Im not at all fond of. But definitely two thumbs up! Seattle could really go with any number of names, all great, but "Totems", definitely my first choice.

Killion is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 03:14 PM
  #240
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
I think the Norpac Seattle Totems would put up a fight, but would pobably accept a buyout for like $1,000 haha. They use those jerseys and are called the totems. The Thunderbirds might be more difficult to convince in letting another team 20 minutes away from them use their jerseys as well.

derriko is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
  #241
Muckr
Registered User
 
Muckr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: I-95
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
So what does this whole new arena deal mean?
Is it official; shovels to ground or still awaiting full approval?

I was not clear is this more about the NBA or just as much the NHL?

Muckr is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 10:55 PM
  #242
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
So what does this whole new arena deal mean?
Is it official; shovels to ground or still awaiting full approval?

I was not clear is this more about the NBA or just as much the NHL?
It's two steps away from the shovel:
-- It's got to be approved be approved by the full Seattle City Council (it was approved in committee) on Sept. 24.
-- Then it needs it needs to have the environmental-impact study results come back and be approved (takes about a year).

But they gave the go-ahead to start trying to lure teams.

It's mostly about the NBA, because they had the Sonics for 40 years and want them back. But Hansen has stated a desire to be part owner of an NHL team.

Seattle has tried to get an NHL team before, but it was the Sonics old owner who subverted the efforts.

The deal also works better for the arena owner AND the city if they get both an NHL/NBA team (more dates meaning the fans pick up more of the tab)

KevFu is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
  #243
Muckr
Registered User
 
Muckr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: I-95
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
It's two steps away from the shovel:
-- It's got to be approved be approved by the full Seattle City Council (it was approved in committee) on Sept. 24.
-- Then it needs it needs to have the environmental-impact study results come back and be approved (takes about a year).

But they gave the go-ahead to start trying to lure teams.

It's mostly about the NBA, because they had the Sonics for 40 years and want them back. But Hansen has stated a desire to be part owner of an NHL team.

Seattle has tried to get an NHL team before, but it was the Sonics old owner who subverted the efforts.

The deal also works better for the arena owner AND the city if they get both an NHL/NBA team (more dates meaning the fans pick up more of the tab)
Gotcha so this arena and deal was more geared for the NBA but is very good for the NHL should they finally decide to relocate some perpetual welfare states.

Muckr is offline  
Old
09-16-2012, 11:58 PM
  #244
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,861
vCash: 500
Different Totems ideas. The Ray Whitney one I stole from somebody else and then butchered.

My favorites are the plain green and white New York Jets style Lidstrom ones. I love the simple look. That T logo I like A LOT better than the clunky wood bird. That said, the T could use a little updating.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.

Last edited by rt: 01-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.
rt is offline  
Old
09-17-2012, 01:51 AM
  #245
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
So what does this whole new arena deal mean?
Is it official; shovels to ground or still awaiting full approval?

I was not clear is this more about the NBA or just as much the NHL?
Hansen has said more than likely NBA first, but not to discount the NHL coming first. That both is needed for this to work

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
09-17-2012, 01:53 AM
  #246
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Gotcha so this arena and deal was more geared for the NBA but is very good for the NHL should they finally decide to relocate some perpetual welfare states.
The NHL is a key figure of the deal, essentially Hansen gets an additional 80 million in regards to bonding capacity if he can secure a NHL franchise. If not he is out his own pocket I believe for that 80 million.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
  #247
snufkin
Registered User
 
snufkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Different Totems ideas. The Ray Whitney one I stole from somebody else and then butchered.

My favorites are the plain green and white New York Jets style Lidstrom ones. I love the simple look. That T logo I like A LOT better than the clunky wood bird. That said, the T could use a little updating.
very nice. i dig it

why isn't this thread stickied anymore btw?

snufkin is offline  
Old
09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
  #248
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin View Post
very nice. i dig it

why isn't this thread stickied anymore btw?
I'm guessing it's because of the lockout/CBA threads that are going to flood this board until the lockout ends.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now  
Old
09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
  #249
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin View Post
very nice. i dig it

why isn't this thread stickied anymore btw?
I'd guess it's because we've got a year wait for the environmental study and shovel to go into the ground, and the expansion or relocation chances will basically depend on the outcome of the new CBA (whether the changes saves PHX, FLA, etc; or makes them seek new residences), not to mention teams like NYI, FLA, etc have leases that don't expire until 2015-16 at the earliest.

Long Story Short: Not much is gonna happen on the NHL Seattle Front from Sept. 24 - End of Lockout.

KevFu is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 01:45 AM
  #250
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Have we talked about if Key Arena is a workable situation with upgrades as a temp building?

superdeluxe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.