HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 02:01 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Have we talked about if Key Arena is a workable situation with upgrades as a temp building?
Yes - and it is suitable.

In fact, Hansen's MOU with the city required that Key be used as the temp facility for any NBA or NHL team before the new arena opened.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:11 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
...for some extremely loose definition of "suitable", where you're only looking at holding an NHL regulation rink.
http://www.king5.com/news/Is-KeyAren...138899044.html

Quote:
But it is unclear whether the NHL, or prospective hockey owner, would allow a team to use the building, which was renovated for the NBAs Sonics in the mid-1990s.

I think it could work. It could be a good temporary building, says Don Levin, who has been mentioned as a potential Seattle NHL Owner. But he acknowledges the challenges, "There are only 9,000 non-obstructed seats. Everything else is obstructed view. Im not sure you sell them for much."
It makes Barclay's Center look huge in comparison. I don't see how an owner could come anywhere close to breaking even in that facility under anything resembling even the NHL's latest CBA offer. I've always maintained that the NHL should move in to a new arena when it's built. I suppose if the NHL is desparate to prevent a floundering franchise folding (a lotta alliteration alert ) it'll do for a season, but 2 or 3 seasons is going to hurt financially.

Old
09-19-2012, 12:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Different Totems ideas. The Ray Whitney one I stole from somebody else and then butchered.

My favorites are the plain green and white New York Jets style Lidstrom ones. I love the simple look. That T logo I like A LOT better than the clunky wood bird. That said, the T could use a little updating.

09-19-2012, 01:50 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post

In fact, Hansen's MOU with the city required that Key be used as the temp facility for any NBA or NHL team before the new arena opened.
I saw that, I just didn't think it was ever made clear if the NHL was okay with a reworked Key as a temp facility.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I saw that, I just didn't think it was ever made clear if the NHL was okay with a reworked Key as a temp facility.
NHL EVP Bill Daly, January 29, 2012 (translated LaPresse article):

"Seattle, like Quebec, have to build [new arenas]. Existing infrastructure - the Coliseum and Key Arena, which served as home to the SuperSonics basketball club before being relocated to Oklahoma City - could serve as temporary solutions."

09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
KevFu

Don Levin, the Chicago Wolves owner and leader in the clubhouse for an NHL franchise in Seatttle, says of the Islanders:
"They're not moving out of that market. No chance."

-per Chris Botta tweet.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:51 PM
tank44

Whole article about Seattle & NHL at ESPN on an Insider blog by raig Custance.
HERE

Mod note: insider article

Quote:
When news broke last week that the Seattle City Council supported a deal to build a $490 million arena in Seattle south of Safeco Field, the focus was on the potential return of the NBA and the lost Sonics. Chris Hansen, the main investor in Seattle's new arena, is a lifelong Sonics fan and the deal hinges on his ability to lure an NBA franchise to the city.

But Seattle city councilperson Mike O'Brien noticed something recently as the arena deal was being finalized -- a greater number of people than he expected are more excited about the prospect of an NHL team than an NBA team.

"I'm surprised to learn how many people in Seattle, when I've talked to them over the last few months, say 'I couldn't care less about the NBA, it would be great to get an NHL team in here,'" O'Brien said this week over the phone. "Seattle is growing and a lot of people from the Midwest and Northeast grew up playing hockey in school and on frozen lakes."

Seattle is a city that has long intrigued the NHL as a possible franchise destination. It's a top 15 U.S. television market. There's a built-in rivalry just waiting to be created with the Vancouver Canucks. There's even hockey history there; in 1917, the Seattle Metropolitans beat Montreal to win the Stanley Cup.
"In the arrangement we have with Mr. Hansen, there are two paths the financing can go down," O'Brien said. "In a scenario where they only have an NBA team, we would buy the land and the new arena for $120 million. In a scenario where they have an NBA and NHL team, we would buy the land and arena for $200 million. The amount of debt we're willing to put in the arrangement varies on the amount of teams."

That's 80 million reasons to lure an NHL franchise.

There's financial motivation -- now Hansen just needs to find an NHL owner and team. That's where Chicago Wolves owner Don Levin could end up being a significant player in the future of hockey in Seattle. Levin is a highly successful Chicago businessman with holdings in companies that vary from tobacco processing to medical leasing to movie distribution.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 09-20-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: copyright
Old
09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

puck daddy offered some of the material from levin that's hidden behind the insider paywall (and some of wysh's own commentary): http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-41626
Quote:
"I can tell you there are not teams for sale that are available to move," Levin told ESPN the Magazine on Wednesday.
Not the Coyotes? Or maybe one day the Islanders? "My understanding is that the Phoenix deal, [Greg Jamison] has come up with the money," Levin said. "The answer to the Islanders moving is never. They're not moving out of that market. No chance that's going to happen."
Instead, Levin's plan centers on expansion. And he's optimistic it won't be long after the CBA is settled that the NHL will turn to expansion as the next phase in growing the league. "I would think three years," he said.
The NHL's realignment plan, which was agreed upon during last December's board of governors meeting, certainly made it easy to plug in two more franchises. Levin thinks Seattle would be considered one of the front-runners to land a new team. "There's Quebec and Las Vegas that are also in there," he said.
so, from the horse's mouth, we're looking at 3 years, potentially, let's say 2015-16 season. Can the arena be ready by august 2015? Would the NHL go for key arena temporarily or would they push back expansion to seattle until a later year?

Last edited by danishh: 09-20-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 09:36 PM
KevFu

Shut up! You're hurting our leverage!

Old
09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
.... so, from the horse's mouth, we're looking at 3 years, potentially, let's say 2015-16 season. Can the arena be ready by august 2015? Would the NHL go for key arena temporarily or would they push back expansion to seattle until a later year?
ya, that surely is interesting, as I can almost here Garys words through Levins mouth there about Phoenix & Long Island, but no matter, if indeed Expansion is on the horizon, for sure Seattle & Quebec City, but why stop there?If they opened it up to interested bidders, goodness only knows who else might surface; likely as many as 3 or 4 groups from Southern Ontario (Hamilton & Markham); maybe even a Portland, Houston. And as for Key, already scoped out with engineers & costs as a temporary home to NHL & or an NBA franchise. The formers costly, but doable. Installation of an iceplant etc. Might be better off using the Tacoma Dome short term instead if an immediate homes required.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:58 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

does the tacomadome still have an operational iceplant? For that matter, would the thunderbirds arena in kent be a viable temp location for a season or two (6500 seats vs 9000 at keyarena, but presumably less costs to be nhl ready as it is relatively new).

sorry, i havent been following the whole seattle thing very closely, now that the arena is more-or-less approved, is there a timeline for completion?

Old
09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
.... sorry, i havent been following the whole seattle thing very closely,
now that the arena is more-or-less approved, is there a timeline for completion?
... the Tacoma Dome would be a "s t r e t c h", buts its doable if necessary and I believe seats about 16,000 for hockey.
Heres a picture and a link to an article & KING5 story;

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09...e-tacoma-dome/

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/tac...129742203.html

.... meanwhile, the Thunderbirds arena's just way too small, so its either the Key or the above, likely Key even with expensive
upgrades as per kdb's post above. As for "timelines", believe their looking at 2015 for completion.

Last edited by Killion: 09-20-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: lousy link...
Old
09-20-2012, 10:39 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... the Tacoma Dome would be a "s t r e t c h", buts its doable if necessary and I believe seats about 16,000 for hockey.
Heres a picture and a link to an article & KING5 story;

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09...e-tacoma-dome/

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/tac...129742203.html

.... meanwhile, the Thunderbirds arena's just way too small, so its either the Key or the above, likely Key even with expensive
upgrades as per kdb's post above. As for "timelines", believe their looking at 2015 for completion.
What I've seen lately is Key being totally abandoned once the SODO project is finished, Killion..... the Storm may be joining the new arena..... if what Levin says is true, the whole point of the NHL to the Pac NW anytime soon isn't likely.... the whole point of the Hansen proposal is to restore the Sonics after the Bennett/Nickels fiasco forced that relocation....

Old
09-20-2012, 10:43 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Behind the paywall in that ESPN article it says Key Arena would be upgraded and reconfigured to be able to host the NHL.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
... the whole point of the Hansen proposal is to restore the Sonics after the Bennett/Nickels fiasco forced that relocation....
... ya, dont think theres any doubt or question the NBA's the number one objective HUTCH. "But", if they can all work together with an NHL franchise, then why the heck not? I say go for it.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:55 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Behind the paywall in that ESPN article it says Key Arena would be upgraded and reconfigured to be able to host the NHL.
it was already upgraded once, AF24, which is why the Sonics played in TACOMA... SEATTLE Times reports tht Key is outdated, and will be vacated.... it makes no sense to retrofit, once the new arena opens.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
it was already upgraded once, AF24, which is why the Sonics played in TACOMA... SEATTLE Times reports tht Key is outdated, and will be vacated.... it makes no sense to retrofit, once the new arena opens.
Yes I know it was upgraded once. That has nothing to do with what was said. While the new arena is being built they would upgrade Key Arena and reconfigure it to host the NHL.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:14 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
ya, that surely is interesting, as I can almost here Garys words through Levins mouth there about Phoenix & Long Island, but no matter, if indeed Expansion is on the horizon, for sure Seattle & Quebec City, but why stop there?If they opened it up to interested bidders, goodness only knows who else might surface; likely as many as 3 or 4 groups from Southern Ontario (Hamilton & Markham); maybe even a Portland, Houston. And as for Key, already scoped out with engineers & costs as a temporary home to NHL & or an NBA franchise. The formers costly, but doable. Installation of an iceplant etc. Might be better off using the Tacoma Dome short term instead if an immediate homes required.
I would counter Mr Levin's comments by asking what else is he going to say? I'll believe the Coyotes are staying in Phoenix when the deal closes and Jamison actually owns the team, until then nobody really knows. If Levin said that the Coyotes could move, he'd position himself the exact same way Jim Balsillie did with that franchise and kill any chance of owning an NHL team.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
If Levin said that the Coyotes could move, he'd position himself the exact same way Jim Balsillie did with that franchise and kill any chance of owning an NHL team.
... zactly. PC verbiage. Nothing controversial. NHL's talking points, same song sheet. Pre-programmed.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Yes I know it was upgraded once. That has nothing to do with what was said. While the new arena is being built they would upgrade Key Arena and reconfigure it to host the NHL.
ABSOLUTELY NOT, then what's the plan when Key is upgraded, then ignored once the new arena is up and running, doesn't make sense for hockey..... remember Key is a historic registered site, that's why it took a year the last time

Old
09-20-2012, 11:29 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
... ya, dont think theres any doubt or question the NBA's the number one objective HUTCH. "But", if they can all work together with an NHL franchise, then why the heck not? I say go for it.
why would Seattle want to join a league that is locked out?

Old
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
why would Seattle want to join a league that is locked out?
... because the Money Men driving that train want a seat at the Board of Governors Tahitian Teak Boardroom Table.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
ecemleafs

seems like seattle idea would be more of an expansion route than a relocation.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:49 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT, then what's the plan when Key is upgraded, then ignored once the new arena is up and running, doesn't make sense for hockey..... remember Key is a historic registered site, that's why it took a year the last time
Why are you arguing this? It's IN THE ARTICLE that Key Arena would be upgraded to fit the NHL while the new arena is being built. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the people who wrote it.

Quote:
But Hansen says it would work for the NBA and NHL as an interim venue. In fact, he has agreed to make minor renovations to KeyArena to better accommodate NBA and NHL games there. And under the official agreement among Hansen, the city and King County, he would help the city figure out a long-term plan for KeyArena once the new arena is built.
Quote:
Reconfiguration of event level space to create NHL and NBA team suites, with modern amenities and infrastructure.
Refinish a portion of lower bowl seats.
Reconfigure sports lighting to NHL standards.
Create NHL replay review room.
Refurbish ice making equipment.

That all should be enough so that KeyArena can host NBA and NHL games for a few years. But now you may be asking: Why doesn’t Hansen just renovate KeyArena instead of building an entirely new arena?
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlespo...do-arena-plan/

Perhaps you'd like to argue with Chris Hansen about it? He seems like a swell guy....

Last edited by Killion: 09-21-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 01:23 AM
KevFu

Quote:
... zactly. PC verbiage. Nothing controversial. NHL's talking points, same song sheet. Pre-programmed.
Saying there's no chance the Islanders leave the NY market is NOT in the NHL's talking points.

The NHL's/Islanders stance is: "We want to stay in Long Island, then the NY Metro area, but someone needs to pony up with with a sweetheart arena deal for this club, because if not, they COULD leave."

Quote:
Gary Bettman said the league is considering other sites "because it seems that Nassau County and the Town of Hempstead are either unable or unwilling to deal with the situation."

"We're continuing to explore and look at the options."

"from a half-dozen cities on an regular basis that would like to have a team," [Kansas City has] "this wonderful arena just waiting for a tenant. But, you know, we try to avoid franchise relocation."

"Charles Wang is continuing, despite tremendous frustration, to look at all options to keep the club in the metropolitan area."

"There is still time" to come to a deal to keep the team on Long Island.
"want to avoid" relocation and "definitely not" relocating are two extremely different things. The Islanders (and league's) best leverage is the threat of leaving the market.

Closed Thread