HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 11:49 PM
gstommylee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Most opponents feel it will be a rubber stamp and honestly so do I.
And Hansen said it would be highly unlikely that a NHL team would be first, but he didn't rule it out. And yes no shovel in ground until a team is secured
The city/county can still KILL the proposal if they feel the environmental review comes bad really negative hence the 2nd vote. They are just crying foul for the shake of crying foul. Its gone from traffic concerns to environmental law concerns.

The huge question is will the owner of NHL team want to play in the key for 2-3 years and will the NHL accept it. That is one reason why its highly unlikely 2nd reason availability of a team.

Last edited by gstommylee: 09-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old
09-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Ok thanks gstommylee and superdeluxe.

I get that the NHL team is unlikely to be first, we'll see what happens, but I as stupid as this may sound I think that the PHO situation one way or the other is going to come down very soon after the new CBA is signed. It might just be the right time for the NHL.

But by the sounds of this agreement, even if the PHO situation ends up not in SEA for whatever reason (more secure buyer in QUE, or manages to stay in PHO), an expansion team might be perfect. It would give SEA the team they need to start work (perhaps even that way buying time for Hansen to secure an NBA team, I have no idea how close he is to getting an NBA team), and would not need to play in the Key as they could be approved for 2015.

If the NHL can manage to keep PHO in PHO, time seems perfect for a double expansion to QUE and SEA.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:54 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

I get that the NHL team is unlikely to be first, we'll see what happens, but I as stupid as this may sound I think that the PHO situation one way or the other is going to come down very soon after the new CBA is signed. It might just be the right time for the NHL.

But by the sounds of this agreement, even if the PHO situation ends up not in SEA for whatever reason (more secure buyer in QUE, or manages to stay in PHO), an expansion team might be perfect. It would give SEA the team they need to start work (perhaps even that way buying time for Hansen to secure an NBA team, I have no idea how close he is to getting an NBA team), and would not need to play in the Key as they could be approved for 2015.

If the new NHL can manage to keep PHO in PHO, time seems perfect for a double expansion to QUE and SEA.
Seattle has many options for the NBA one being the Sac Kings then Pacers and bobcats.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:07 AM
gstommylee

Quote:

If the NHL can manage to keep PHO in PHO, time seems perfect for a double expansion to QUE and SEA.
If PHO goes to quebec city who's the 2nd team cause they expand in pairs.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:33 AM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Thats what Im wondering. I can't see expansion or any team other than Phoenix relocating though.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:37 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Markham or Toronto 2 as it will be called.

Old
09-26-2012, 12:38 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Thats what Im wondering. I can't see expansion or any team other than Phoenix relocating though.
well PHO would be the only team for the time being. Hence the reason why hansen said it was unlikely NHL would arrive first.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Just to show how awesome Chris is. He was at a local dive bar drinking beer after beating the packers last night
I can't wait for a Seattle team to re-energize the West Coast for hockey.

Having a thriving L.A. team and a thriving Seattle team....it could be beautiful.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:06 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Well therein lies the problem IF PHO goes to QUE. I think SEA is ahead of QUE though, so I think that the least likely scenario of the 3 I see happening (PHO to SEA, PHO stays + 2 expansion teams, PHO to QUE).

Quote:
I think expansion is going to be the cards very soon after the lockout, particularly if PHO stays in PHO. Both SEA and QUE are ready, and can use teams. Nice injection of cash for the owners, shows how strong the league is coming out of this lockout, expands the NHL footprint.

I know the league was seriously considering expansion back in 07 (basically coming right out of the last lockout) but there was no place to go really at the time. Groups from WPG, HOU and at least two other cities gave presentations to the NHL in New York. Chipman (co-owner of the Jets) was quoted saying as much back in June 2011, shortly after the Jets came back. Difference is, now they have to serious potential in prime markets ready and willing.

There is still Markham/KC/LV/HOU as potential landing grounds for any future teams that land in trouble, still plenty of options even after taking SEA and QUE off the table. None of them are particularly attractive options, but they are last resort places, the league is not going to make viable markets like SEA and QUE sit completely unused when both are looking so promising right now, IMO.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:26 AM
snufkin

Quote:
not that it's a serious option but if seattle were to get a team i'd love to see portland get one too.
if only paul allen wasn't so against the NHL.... he's said he wouldn't allow a NHL team to share the rose garden because it would eat into the Blazer's market share...

Old
09-26-2012, 04:32 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think expansion is going to be the cards very soon after the lockout, particularly if PHO stays in PHO. Both SEA and QUE are ready, and can use teams. Nice injection of cash for the owners, shows how strong the league is coming out of this lockout, expands the NHL footprint.
I see SEA and QC not as "expansion" sites, but as "avoiding-contraction" sites, i.e. relocate failing teams there. There is no way Phoenix survives. A year-long lockout could push another team or two over the edge. This improves Seattle's chances of getting a team.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:33 AM
villevalo

Cant Seattle just enter as themselves, i.e. a brand new team not one via relocation?

Old
09-26-2012, 08:34 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Cant Seattle just enter as themselves, i.e. a brand new team not one via relocation?
We would need expansion for that to happen

Old
09-26-2012, 08:44 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
I see SEA and QC not as "expansion" sites, but as "avoiding-contraction" sites, i.e. relocate failing teams there. There is no way Phoenix survives. A year-long lockout could push another team or two over the edge. This improves Seattle's chances of getting a team.
I think so, too. This presupposes the league surviving the current lockout, which is not a given! Also, Seattle is years away from a functional arena. Portland has two. Why does Seattle garner any attention at all? Is it a better market than Portland? Or Vegas, or Kansas City?

I suggest that Seattle's sports market is at saturation in this economy. They have the NFL and MLB. Portland has the NBA. Is there any money for hockey in the PNW?

Old
09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
I think so, too. This presupposes the league surviving the current lockout, which is not a given! Also, Seattle is years away from a functional arena. Portland has two. Why does Seattle garner any attention at all? Is it a better market than Portland? Or Vegas, or Kansas City?

I suggest that Seattle's sports market is at saturation in this economy. They have the NFL and MLB. Portland has the NBA. Is there any money for hockey in the PNW?
Seattle is 3-4 years away from a New Arena. Key Arena could be retrofitted for a possible temporary venue.

The reason Seattle is being talked about has been beaten to death, And your saturation point holds no water as several sources have stated that Seattle is the #1 choice for expansion/relocation. I'll take their thought about the economic viability of a franchise over yours, no offense.

Old
09-26-2012, 09:51 AM
villevalo

Quote:
We would need expansion for that to happen
Not overly familiar with all the lingo, I'm assuming 'expansion' is the process in which the NHL and the owners decide to let 'new guys' in?

Old
09-26-2012, 10:00 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Not overly familiar with all the lingo, I'm assuming 'expansion' is the process in which the NHL and the owners decide to let 'new guys' in?
essentially, and I think the expansion fee generates more fees. So for the league/other owners I would think expansion is better.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
essentially, and I think the expansion fee generates more fees. So for the league/other owners I would think expansion is better.
Definitely Expansion is the preferred thing for the League's other owners, but relocation is certainly the preferred thing for a new owner getting a team. It's not only those huge Expansions fees, but avoiding the growing pain years with an Expansion team. Getting a young highly drafted team like the Oilers, or a very competitive team like the Coyotes, would be gravy for a new owner in Seattle.

Old
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Pacific northwest has a HUGE regional market that goes into several other states. (Alaska, Oregon, Idaho and Montana) People do travel to Seattle to watch NFL, MLS and MLB from outside the greater seattle area/state.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:35 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I want to see the Seattle Totems make a come back!

Old
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I want to see the Seattle Totems make a come back!
I rather see them use the old Metro name that the hockey team was called when Seattle won the Stanley cup.

Old
09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
CerebralGenesis

Seattle Mets. Goodness

Old
09-26-2012, 03:59 PM
gstommylee

Seattle Metropolitan sounds better to me than Seattle Totems.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Thunderbirds please.

Old
09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Thunderbirds please.
The WHL franchise would have to sell the trademark and re-brand i think that is unlikely.

Closed Thread