HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2012, 12:26 PM
  #151
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Great Post over on Sonicscentral in why the City Council trying to have Sonic fans pay for the Storm and traffic improvements is not fair:

http://sonicscentral.com/blog/?p=2255

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 01:24 PM
  #152
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
What Chris Hansen is proposing constitutes a sweetheart deal (relative to traditional arena deals) for the City and County. If the City starts pretending that what they have in front of them is anything less than that, well then, Hansen should just take his ball and go home. At that point, I think we'll find that the City will back off any new demands pretty quickly.

__________________
Follow JawandaPuck on Twitter and Blogspot - all revenue from Google Ads is donated to the Canucks for Kids Fund (CFKF) in support of the Canucks Autism Network (CAN).
JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
  #153
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Just wondering from people that are close to the situation what the fiscal heath of King County and the city of Seattle are like. Are we going to see this deal go through and then hear of a Chapter 9 filing in the future?

There are many California cities that will be filing for Chapter 9 bankruptcy in the future IMO.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
  #154
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Just wondering from people that are close to the situation what the fiscal heath of King County and the city of Seattle are like. Are we going to see this deal go through and then hear of a Chapter 9 filing in the future?

There are many California cities that will be filing for Chapter 9 bankruptcy in the future IMO.
The bonding capacity for both, parts of which are what is being sought by Hansen in this deal, is fine for both. The county's capacity will not be impacted to any great degree by their approving it. One issue, though, for the city is that they have a major seawall replacement project on their waterfront they would like to get started as soon as possible, which will require a lot of money, so whether this impacts that or not is anyone's guess. As to a bankruptcy situation for either, likely no, but stranger things have happened.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
  #155
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
The bonding capacity for both, parts of which are what is being sought by Hansen in this deal, is fine for both. The county's capacity will not be impacted to any great degree by their approving it. One issue, though, for the city is that they have a major seawall replacement project on their waterfront they would like to get started as soon as possible, which will require a lot of money, so whether this impacts that or not is anyone's guess. As to a bankruptcy situation for either, likely no, but stranger things have happened.
They have to have the money to do these projects. No money, Bond capacity doesn't matter.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  #156
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Does Chris Hansen think the arena is going to happen? Just bought more land at the SODO site for 5.5 million:

http://www.king5.com/news/business/H...164775556.html

Quote:
SEATTLE Ė Investor Chris Hansen acquired more land last month for his proposed SODO arena project.

County records show Hansenís holding company finalized a deal on July 18 for two pieces of land at 1712 and 1722 1st Avenue South. Those two pieces, south of the Showbox Sodo and west of Occidental, were sold by Efron Investment LLLP to Hansenís WSA Properties for $5,559,000 (see document below).

That means Hansen, ahead of full approval of the arena proposal by the Seattle City and King County Councils, has spent more than $40 million dollars on land for his project.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
08-03-2012, 01:20 AM
  #157
JawandaPuck
Moderator
Lost Art of Dynasty
 
JawandaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Does Chris Hansen think the arena is going to happen? Just bought more land at the SODO site for 5.5 million:

http://www.king5.com/news/business/H...164775556.html


Quote:
SEATTLE Ė Investor Chris Hansen acquired more land last month for his proposed SODO arena project.

County records show Hansenís holding company finalized a deal on July 18 for two pieces of land at 1712 and 1722 1st Avenue South. Those two pieces, south of the Showbox Sodo and west of Occidental, were sold by Efron Investment LLLP to Hansenís WSA Properties for $5,559,000 (see document below).

That means Hansen, ahead of full approval of the arena proposal by the Seattle City and King County Councils, has spent more than $40 million dollars on land for his project.
1712 & 1722 are two units in the same building as 1727 & 1729. I suspect the latter two have or will be bought as well, not to mention 1701, that eyesore on the corner, right across the street from what will likely be the main entrance for the arena someday.

1741 is a nice looking condo/loft building though.

JawandaPuck is offline  
Old
08-03-2012, 10:20 AM
  #158
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Seattle City Council likely to vote on the MOU on August 13th. Discussions between Hansen and the SCC continue to move forward in a positive direction.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
08-04-2012, 12:12 PM
  #159
nwpensfan
Registered User
 
nwpensfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The 14th Tee
Country: United States
Posts: 3,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Seattle City Council likely to vote on the MOU on August 13th. Discussions between Hansen and the SCC continue to move forward in a positive direction.
Hanson just keeps going forward like a bulldog no matter what the Seattle council throws at him! Having him here in Seattle as a businessman and sports leader can only be a great thing! Hopefully the Seattle council understands this.

nwpensfan is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
  #160
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose/Nashville
Country: Italy
Posts: 25,940
vCash: 500
Looks like they want the NBA back in Seattle

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 03:01 PM
  #161
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
It's interesting that Seattle city council expect Hansen to finance most of the stadium and contribute to traffic infrastructure. The other two major pro teams contributed nothing for infrastructure and got sweetheart stadium deals.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 03:22 PM
  #162
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 35,161
vCash: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It's interesting that Seattle city council expect Hansen to finance most of the stadium and contribute to traffic infrastructure. The other two major pro teams contributed nothing for infrastructure and got sweetheart stadium deals.
Shows what a difference a few years and an economic downturn can make.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
  #163
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It's interesting that Seattle city council expect Hansen to finance most of the stadium and contribute to traffic infrastructure. The other two major pro teams contributed nothing for infrastructure and got sweetheart stadium deals.
Mariners provided some funding for traffic improvements when they redid the road between Safeco and the clink and build a over pass over the rail road.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 10:33 PM
  #164
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It's interesting that Seattle city council expect Hansen to finance most of the stadium and contribute to traffic infrastructure. The other two major pro teams contributed nothing for infrastructure and got sweetheart stadium deals.
Hansen has already stated that it is not fair that he should pay but no one else

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:46 AM
  #165
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch

My opinion (based on what I've heard) is that the two sides are real close to agreeing on raising additional monies for SODO infrastructure.
Expand


1h mitch levy mitch levy ‏@kjrmitch

Heard more encouraging news tonight from multiple people about the negotiations between Chris Hansen and Seattle City Council.
Expand

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
  #166
Dowisetrepla
Registered User
 
Dowisetrepla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington State
Country: United States
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
The Port of Seattle has produced their own Traffic Study re the impact of the arena. Very "gloom and doom".

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/T...165362986.html


Chris Hansen of course produced a study which foresaw virtually no major traffic impact. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

Dowisetrepla is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:31 AM
  #167
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowisetrepla View Post
The Port of Seattle has produced their own Traffic Study re the impact of the arena. Very "gloom and doom".

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/T...165362986.html


Chris Hansen of course produced a study which foresaw virtually no major traffic impact. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle...
Arena supporters' response:

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Aren...165521356.html

The ad Chris Daniels mentions at the bottom of this story did appear in yesterday's Times; half-page in the front section of the paper. Daniels' Twitter feed has a photo of this ad, which is a pro-Port, anti-arena spiel.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
08-15-2012, 09:40 AM
  #168
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
State lawmakers enter arena fray

This piece of news you probably won't find anywhere else....

http://publicola.com/2012/08/14/seat...ove-the-arena/

Three Washington state legislators who represent Seattle, among them Rep. Jeanne Kohl-Welles, who has a significant amount of influence amongst state lawmakers, have sent a letter to the Seattle City Council urging them to support the Hansen plan. It'll be curious to see if the Port has a word or two with them.....

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
  #169
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey
 
Uemoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 3,435
vCash: 500
Very cool.

I'm glad things are finally moving along here. Hansen seems confident.

I get the feeling that a lot more people will be talking about potential for a relo to Seattle by next calendar year.

Uemoda is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
  #170
snovalleyhockeyfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Bend, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Very cool.

I'm glad things are finally moving along here. Hansen seems confident.

I get the feeling that a lot more people will be talking about potential for a relo to Seattle by next calendar year.
You are probably right, but the devil is in the details. The Seattle City Council appears to be taking its time on this, and continued bellyaching from the Port - and the Mariners - about the traffic impacts is not helping. Case in point:

http://www.king5.com/news/arena/Mari...166353026.html

The latest arena story from Chris Daniels, where he reports the Mariners, through their longtime spokesperson, admitted they are helping fund that anti-arena campaign that put a poll out last week suggesting people opposed public financng for the new arena. And this story came out just hours after perhaps the finest moment for this franchise since 2001, Felix Hernandez' perfect game yesterday afternoon against the Tampa Bay Rays.

I would anticipate relocation discussions to really heat up following the conclusion of the current NHL labor negotiations.

snovalleyhockeyfan is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
  #171
OilersFan1978
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
So what is the next step here and whose court is the ball (or puck!) in at this point? I think there's a vote on the horizon about this project, right?

OilersFan1978 is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 01:20 PM
  #172
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Seattle city council is holding off until September to vote. This is apparently the final step in the approval process but it could be dragged out.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/arti...na-3790606.php

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM
  #173
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 4,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Seattle city council is holding off until September to vote. This is apparently the final step in the approval process but it could be dragged out.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/arti...na-3790606.php
Might they be postponing the vote until they see whether there's a lockout or a CBA by then?

HansH is offline  
Old
08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
  #174
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Might they be postponing the vote until they see whether there's a lockout or a CBA by then?
The city council goes on recess next week till after labor day. It has nothing to do with the potential lockout of the NHL. They just ran out of time to get the agreement of the revised MOU done in order to vote before recess. They are still negotiating.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
08-29-2012, 07:50 AM
  #175
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 500
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...w-seattle.html

More land purchased for new Seattle arena

cbcwpg is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.