HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs trade Schenn for JVR (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Hurt

vCash: 500
Leafs trade Schenn for JVR (Part II)

Previous thread maxed out. Link for reading purposes HERE

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 08-08-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Mowerman

Would like to reiterate that both are highly skilled players and will hopefully be studs in the league for many years to come. Would have preferred to deal Schenn out of conference, but considering the quality of player we received in JVR I can live with that considering the return likely wouldn't have been as great otherwise. He has a very nice ceiling and has already shown that he can realise it and thrive in a high pressure, playoff situation. Can't wait to watch him develop and hopefully turn into something special.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
so is jvr injured currently

Old
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Hockey Potential
HP Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
He'll be good to go for training camp.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Leafs most glaring team needs have been well documented, in the requirement to find a #1 center, #1 goalie and top pairing Dman as its biggest holes that require filling. Combine that with the leagues 29th worst goals against, putting the emphases further on addressing the defense and improving on that area.

In fact looking at the Leafs currently their only real team strength is in having goal scoring wingers.

Acquiring JVR another winger an area of team strength at the expense of a valuable asset that should/could have been levied into addressing bigger team needs is certainly a debatable aspect of this trade on its merits.

So based on that, how does trading one of team best young assets to improve the team, address the teams actual needs?

Old
06-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
According to Burke, JVR is working out like a 'mad man' so he's probably almost 100% or getting there. Should be ready to go for training camp for sure.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
It's probably been said.. But if we can manage to land Parise, we can use some of our depth at defence and maybe a higher ranked forward prospect to land a center - all of a sudden this team doesn't look too bad. If we end up sticking with Reimer as the #1 he will at least be insulated with some goal scoring. When your team is playing offense for the better part of the game, you aren't getting scored against.

But obviously, it's easier said than done.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:32 PM
JGardiner51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
It's probably been said.. But if we can manage to land Parise, we can use some of our depth at defence and maybe a higher ranked forward prospect to land a center - all of a sudden this team doesn't look too bad. If we end up sticking with Reimer as the #1 he will at least be insulated with some goal scoring. When your team is playing offense for the better part of the game, you aren't getting scored against.

I'd love Parise but realisticly he would re-sign in Jersey before he signs here.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Gert B Frobe

Adding jvr is a bit of a head scratcher to me. He isn't bad defensively but hes a scoring winger which is arguably the only thing the leafs don't need. Adding Parise and Luongo still won't make the defense good enough.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

If we landed Parise we would have significant offensive assets to be able to package to try and land a centre. We won't land Parise though.

The insulation by offense is a great point though. We saw how virtually Kessel and Lupul alone could make us a playoff team through their offensive ability for a significant portion of the season last year.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...-19242976.html

Burke: “I talked to Luke today and (told him) we are not in trade discussions with him. I told Luke that is not a guarantee that he would not be traded or that something would not materialize, but we are not in discussions with any team about him right now.”

Paul Holmgrem: "“It came up again [Friday] and we talked about it,” he said. “I believe it’s a good trade for both teams. It certainly fills a need for us and I think it fills a need for Brian’s team as well in terms of what they’re looking to do.”
Good job on posting a quote of Burkes from a Jan 13th article.

You still have yet to prove your point.

And you know what, Burke can say anything he wants, while dancing in a tootoo down Yonge Street. If he makes the right moves, like getting us JVR for Schenn I am happy.

Some people just want to complain...

Old
06-24-2012, 01:41 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Best trade!

Go Burke Go!

Old
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs most glaring team needs have been well documented, in the requirement to find a #1 center, #1 goalie and top pairing Dman as its biggest holes that require filling. Combine that with the leagues 29th worst goals against, putting the emphases further on addressing the defense and improving on that area.

In fact looking at the Leafs currently their only real team strength is in having goal scoring wingers.

Acquiring JVR another winger an area of team strength at the expense of a valuable asset that should/could have been levied into addressing bigger team needs is certainly a debatable aspect of this trade on its merits.

So based on that, how does trading one of team best young assets to improve the team, address the teams actual needs?
JvR does have the ability to be a physical top 6 forward, something which we lack.

Im of the mind that our defensive woes are more because of Wilson's system then the quality of Dman.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:46 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
According to Burke, JVR is working out like a 'mad man' so he's probably almost 100% or getting there. Should be ready to go for training camp for sure.
Im pretty sure he was describing Reimer when he said that.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Anyone know how well JVR can play centre? He played it in the past, most of his career in fact, but Kessel did too (pre-NHL) and everyone knows he's not centre material.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
Anyone know how well JVR can play centre? He played it in the past, most of his career in fact, but Kessel did too (pre-NHL) and everyone knows he's not centre material.
He's not 1st line center material at all. He's a winger, keep him there. Enough with the BS idea of putting him at C.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
He's not 1st line center material at all. He's a winger, keep him there. Enough with the BS idea of putting him at C.
It was actually suggested by Burke in his conference call. Something along the lines of JVR being able to play C and if coach wants to try it, it's up to him.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:53 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
It was actually suggested by Burke in his conference call. Something along the lines of JVR being able to play C and if coach wants to try it, it's up to him.
Yes, but he also said that he acquired him to be a winger.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Yes, but he also said that he acquired him to be a winger.
I'm not saying he will play Center but he is capable. I believe Burke leaves the choice where a player is going to play, up to the coach.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
tpc77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
He has played center pretty much his whole life before the NHL.

Just as many young players, they are put on the wing early in their career as they are often not physically mature enough to handle the responsibilities the a #1/#2 C.

Not to mention he was brought into a Flyers team with the likes of Richards/Carter/Giroux already in their top 9. Huh, I wonder why they slotted him in on the wing?

Bottom line is he is now 23 and coming into his prime. He is 6 '3' 210lbs, has tons of skill and doesn't lack anything in terms of skating ability. If at any time he were ready to at least get a look at C would be on the leafs.

In the end, everyone screams about the need for a highly skilled C with size for Kessel/Lupul. Well maybe we have one?

He definitely gets a look in training camp, and I'm sure Carlyle will go from their assessing where he fits best in the lineup.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
Doubt he has the vision or playmaking ability for it. He's a big winger that can score and likes to take it to the net. Better suited for wing IMO.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:18 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Adding jvr is a bit of a head scratcher to me. He isn't bad defensively but hes a scoring winger which is arguably the only thing the leafs don't need. Adding Parise and Luongo still won't make the defense good enough.
This team is far from a finished product and I would imagine the reason they made the trade is because they feel JVR is a better asset going forward then Luke Schenn. We could easily see a trade in the next few days that jettisons a winger and opens up more oppurtunity for JVR.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Hmm, might have been. I listened to it early in the morning so if I was wrong, I apologize

Old
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Indeed he was. The neext sentence was that Reimers not ready to give up his net..

Old
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Evidently he can play center and may in fact start there between Kessel and Lupul.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...service=mobile

Quote:
[Will he play centre or the wing?] “I have talked to Randy [Carlyle] briefly. Where he plays and with whom he plays is up to the coach. He has played a fair amount of centre in his career; he was a centre until he turned pro. I envision him mostly on the wall, but if Randy wants to try him in the middle, that’s fine, too. From my perspective, we’re not big enough up front and this is a guy - not that he plays huge, he’s not a big banger - but he’s a big body with skill and those people are hard to eliminate. I envision him being in the top six and that means on one of the power play units. I know he played point on the power play before so that will be up to the coaching staff. But this is a guy we think can help us a lot.”

Closed Thread