HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

New Arena/Oil Change

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 06:43 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

vCash: 500
New Arena/Oil Change

Did anyone notice that in the new Oil Change episode the team is looking at new drawings and designs for the new arena that have not been submitted to the public. They even had some of the photos censored so that you couldn't tell what they were looking at. One photo in particular showed a night time outdoor view. Very different from the original designs that were released. If someone has time to take some screenshots and post them that would be awesome.

Last edited by OilChuck: 04-23-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 06:49 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Retractable roof??? Is that what I'm seeing here???? Might be.....I know they talked about a glass roof......retractable would be insane!

Old
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Arpeggio

I'm a big proponent of either a retractable roof or a glass roof that can be tinted during the day. I wouldn't want the Oilers playing outdoor games, but I think it would be great for other events, especially concerts.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

I think it was Teubert who said "Is that an oil drop or something?". Would be pretty sweet if our new building was shaped that way and has an Oilers stamp on it!

Old
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post
I think it was Teubert who said "Is that an oil drop or something?". Would be pretty sweet if our new building was shaped that way and has an Oilers stamp on it!
Glass roof in the shape of an oildrop???

Old
04-23-2012, 07:01 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
Glass roof in the shape of an oildrop???
Too good. I'm glad they had some of the designs blurred because I'm assuming it means they have one finalized. Plus while they were going through the visual tour kinda thing on the show it looked like the entire building was shaped like an Oil Drop.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
hugeegosorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post
I think that would look tacky and terrible. They're designing a multipurpose arena/entertainment complex...not your bedroom. How many arenas or stadiums out there are shaped in a way to resemble their team's logo..none.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

The saddledome is in the shape of a horseshoe. Which is what Calgary has in their pants everygame.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
The saddledome is in the shape of a horseshoe. Which is what Calgary has in their pants everygame.
You mean a Saddle? Hense the name....saddledome.....

Old
04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
oilers83

I dont know if I heard correctly but who ever was talking to some of the guys while the video was playing said something about it being "the new European style"

Old
04-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Andrew B

I am an elevator constructor, and these were the pre-approval prints that one of the companies received.

enjoy

Old
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
I am an elevator constructor, and these were the pre-approval prints that one of the companies received.

enjoy

What the hell? That looks...weird...the rink is built on an angle which means one of the corners is closer to the rink and the other is farther away (talking about the nosebleeds).

And where do you park around there? Is there a parking lot or garage around there? Or does everybody have to take the LRT to get there?

Old
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
a second rink? is that where the away team plays?

Old
04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
a second rink? is that where the away team plays?
practice rink

Old
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeegosorry View Post
I think that would look tacky and terrible. They're designing a multipurpose arena/entertainment complex...not your bedroom. How many arenas or stadiums out there are shaped in a way to resemble their team's logo..none.
Let's be reality; "tacky" and "terrible" are two adjectives that should not be associated with 360 Architect.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
What the hell? That looks...weird...the rink is built on an angle which means one of the corners is closer to the rink and the other is farther away (talking about the nosebleeds).

And where do you park around there? Is there a parking lot or garage around there? Or does everybody have to take the LRT to get there?
You'd park in one of the thousands of parking spots currently within 4-5 blocks of the proposed arena downtown. There will be very limited (read: probably like 300 ish) underground stalls at the arena for the bigger suite holders, players, etc.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
You'd park in one of the thousands of parking spots currently within 4-5 blocks of the proposed arena downtown. There will be very limited (read: probably like 300 ish) underground stalls at the arena for the bigger suite holders, players, etc.
Bingo.

If said plan can work in NYC with Madison Square, then the same can happen here.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:51 PM
ales83fan

andrew B you gorgeous human being

Old
04-23-2012, 09:04 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
I guess i should have stated that i'm not actually from Edmonton and even though i've been there a few times in the past couple years, i'm not familiar with where the arena will be built, so i dont know what the parking situation is like around that area.

And am i the only one that thinks that design looks strange (being off-centre like it is)?

Old
04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
I guess i should have stated that i'm not actually from Edmonton and even though i've been there a few times in the past couple years, i'm not familiar with where the arena will be built, so i dont know what the parking situation is like around that area.

And am i the only one that thinks that design looks strange (being off-centre like it is)?
Ah, fair enough. Thought you were one of the "but what about the parking!" Edmontonians, because there's plenty of those around!

Does look a bit odd from those drawings, but we don't know that they're actually real. Nor how the bowl & seats will actually look. Until there's anything detailed out, I'm not really going to bother looking into it, tbh.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
HopefulCoach

Does anyone know where I can watch episode 1 2 and 3 of overdrive?

Old
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:

it looks bloody awful....let's hope it doesn't end up like that!!

Old
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulCoach View Post
Does anyone know where I can watch episode 1 2 and 3 of overdrive?
Episode 1 is up on http://oilers.nhl.tv

Old
04-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Perfect_Drug

I always wished it would look a bit Italian renaissance. Like the Vancouver downtown library that's been often featured on Battlestar Galactica's Caprica.

Something a bit more timeless and remarkable. Not something that's considered 'modern' by today's standards and tacky in 20 years.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:36 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Ah, fair enough. Thought you were one of the "but what about the parking!" Edmontonians, because there's plenty of those around!

Does look a bit odd from those drawings, but we don't know that they're actually real. Nor how the bowl & seats will actually look. Until there's anything detailed out, I'm not really going to bother looking into it, tbh.
Heh, no i live in BC, but i've been to 3 games in the last 2 years and plan on making a few every year now, and once the arena is finally built, i'll be going there as much as i can (and i'm seriously considering moving there as it is, even though i've lived in BC my whole life). I was actually asking an honest question, thanks for answering it, much obliged.

Last edited by TimeForAnOilChange: 04-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Closed Thread