HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Development Camp Thread (June 27-July 2)

Old
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
That's random. Sorry, I'll try to work on that.

A Guy Flaming sighting ladies and gentlemen.....

06-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
That's random. Sorry, I'll try to work on that.

Hahaha! Good catch! It's okay in the stands I would be slow and awkward, can only go down/up stairs one step at a time!

It's okay, you're just doing a Perhonen impersonation

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:20 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Can anyone give a summary of how the goalies have looked so far?

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Dabomb

How has Curtis Hamilton looked so far? I was pretty excited about him after the World Juniors a couple years ago.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
People reacting(in a negative way) to a pro young athlete having fun in a game; get a bloody life! Yako is the perfect personality for this team. He loosens things up and its been a while since I've seen a player put that much love back into the game. I hope to continue seeing him celebrate like that in practices. If he makes practices more enjoyable; that will create huge spinoffs. Practice makes perfect and when you enjoy practice, it makes the team elite.

Keep up the celebrations Yako!

I enjoyed watching them!
And that's fine for you..I actually don't mind either, as a fan..It can be fun to see..

As a traditional player and fan....Maybe not?

I would have to think there could be issues down the road with a 'showboating' young player in a mix with some other young stars, such as Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, etc. Picture yourself as a young professional trying to follow hockey traditions, etc, and you've been with the team a year or two and have been quiet, listening, respectful, etc. Then you have this brash, loud, showboating young kid come in, grab the limelight, show off for the fans, piss off the opposition, etc...It could very well upset the apple cart and cause some hard feelings amoung the group...

Will that be the case? I certainly hope not as we want a tight, cohesive team because they won't get anywhere if they're not..Rarely you win a Stanley Cup with just a star or two..Takes a strong team effort with everybody playing together for each other.

Perhaps the rest of the kids will love having Yak's personality around and it will keep them out of the limelight and he can back it up with production.

You say "Practice makes perfect and when you enjoy practice, it makes the team elite"...I would suggest winning will make things more enjoyable than some kid celebrating a goal during a practice...

We'll see but I wouldn't completly dismiss some traditional fans as just negative people...Let's wait and see what happens.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Can anyone give a summary of how the goalies have looked so far?
At work... again.

Bunz and Tuohiima both very solid positionally, very technical goalies with similar size.
Roy, the thing that stands out to me is his speed. He is fast, he moves a bit more than the others, as he has to due to his size.
Perhonen as I stated his movements aren't great, and seems to play lazy. Looks like a beer leaguer.
Jared Correau (spelling?) Haven't even made an effort to pay attention.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115

Yakupov taking a seat on Kellen Jones.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:10 PM
ThePresent83

I'm worried about Perhonen. For a 3rd round pick he didn't play hardly any hockey this year. Got a smudge of work in the mestis league in Finland, and got a little bit of time in Junior A Sm-liiga but even there it seemed like he was doing more back up duties based on his stats.

Hopefully it didn't hurt his confidence too much

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Daneo21

Anyone else notice Connor Jones wiping out on the ice this morning when he forgot to take his skate guards off?

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
And that's fine for you..I actually don't mind either, as a fan..It can be fun to see..

I would have to think there could be issues down the road with a 'showboating' young player in a mix with some other young stars, such as Hall, RNH, Eberle, Gagner, etc. Picture yourself as a young professional trying to follow hockey traditions, etc, and you've been with the team a year or two and have been quiet, listening, respectful, etc. Then you have this brash, loud, showboating young kid come in, grab the limelight, show off for the fans, piss off the opposition, etc...It could very well upset the apple cart and cause some hard feelings amoung the group...

Will that be the case? I certainly hope not as we want a tight, cohesive team because they won't get anywhere if they're not..Rarely you win a Stanley Cup with just a star or two..Takes a strong team effort with everybody playing together for each other.

Perhaps the rest of the kids will love having Yak's personality around and it will keep them out of the limelight and he can back it up with production.

You say "Practice makes perfect and when you enjoy practice, it makes the team elite"...I would suggest winning will make things more enjoyable than some kid celebrating a goal during a practice...

We'll see but I wouldn't completly dismiss some traditional fans as just negative people...Let's wait and see what happens.
pfft. I'm as traditional as they come..having grown up watching the Broadstreet Bullies etc......

THIS GUY IS AWESOME!

I love every minute of it.

And I'm not a young fan who dismisses older, more traditional thinking....I think it's in many peoples best interest to roll with the times, embrace the exhuberance of the youth that are collectively taking control of this team, and absolutely enjoy every minute of this shift in the culture of the game we hold so near to our hearts.

Rah, Rah, Shishcoombah, let's see more from Yakupah......v!

BTW: Tencer was saying on Stauffer's show, when asked if Yaks was keeping it up (celebrations) today, that apparently he was celebrating after doing a bunch of skating and other non puck drills today as well

I like!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:30 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Anyone else notice Connor Jones wiping out on the ice this morning when he forgot to take his skate guards off?
LOL that's hilarious! Could really hurt yourself like that though...

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:35 PM
rockinghockey

Went to the practiced and chatted with Moroz dad in the stands, really nice man. His son was so happy to be drafted by the Oilers. He said that his son is going to be working out this summer in Calgary with Crush or Crash workout or something. If Moroz is anything like his dad he must be a fantastic kid. I am routing for this kid.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:38 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
At work... again.

Bunz and Tuohiima both very solid positionally, very technical goalies with similar size.
Roy, the thing that stands out to me is his speed. He is fast, he moves a bit more than the others, as he has to due to his size.
Perhonen as I stated his movements aren't great, and seems to play lazy. Looks like a beer leaguer.
I watched Jared Correau a bit and the kid impressed me. Very quick and good lateral movement.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 04:19 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Went to the practiced and chatted with Moroz dad in the stands, really nice man. His son was so happy to be drafted by the Oilers. He said that his son is going to be working out this summer in Calgary with Crush or Crash workout or something. If Moroz is anything like his dad he must be a fantastic kid. I am routing for this kid.
Crash Conditioning. So he should be working out with Eberle.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
T-Funk

Dillon Simpson ‏@Simmer18

Today I witnessed @Nail10_1993 sign the windshield of a grown man's convertible #bigdeal

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:26 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Dillon Simpson ‏@Simmer18

Today I witnessed @Nail10_1993 sign the windshield of a grown man's convertible #bigdeal

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I watched Jared Correau a bit and the kid impressed me. Very quick and good lateral movement.
I quite enjoyed speaking with him, very likeable guy. And he's huge. INTERVIEW

06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Nail and Nuge

Any videos from Day three boys?

Love 'em all! Would love to see more Klefbom.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post

Lol How young do you think I am.. or better yet.. how old does one have to be to be considered a 'traditional' fan?

Quote:
I pictured it and.... I love every minute of it. I can see if a fan is a stuck-up shrew they'd have an issue with it. Hockey is a business that makes its $$$ off of entertainment. Yako is entertaining and also respectful. Every celebration he did he patted the goalie on the pads after. His teammates were Lol'ing with him.

Quote:
To be a close knit team... you have to be a robot? Lacking personality is a form of respect? hmmm

The 80's Oilers were a loose bunch and tight-knit.

Quote:
Before winning happens, you need talented players that have a love for the game and are excited to practice. All winning teams have players that enjoy practice almost as much as the game. Seeing a kid celebrate a goal during a practice is exactly what I like to see.

Quote:
Traditional like in what way? Comparable to how the Queen of England sips her tea in a 'special' way?

PLease define the traditional fan for me.

Last edited by Vagabond: 06-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:36 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
At work... again.

Thanks. Does not sound like Perhonen is making the kind of progress necessary which is a shame. I had high hopes for him.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Watching this video makes me wish some of these guys hopefully pan out. Ewanyk, Fedun and Bigos for examples. Really brings positive vibes to the team. Here's to a successful development.

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...183266&lang=en

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:26 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
The guy in the third picture would be Kyle Humongos.
Of course the giant would be Humongos or Bigos.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Bure80

Some thoughts on Rieder.

http://www2.canada.com/story.html?id=6860212&p=2

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
jebs

Funny how nobody even cared about development camp today!

Anyone go? Reports?

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
oilers92

vCash: 50
will schultz go along for the last couple of days to get some ice time before main camp?

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote