HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Scouting the Scouts

Old
06-24-2012, 02:46 PM
67Cup

vCash: 500
Scouting the Scouts

It would be interesting to know the "batting average" of the Leafs' area scouts. In baseball, they regularly announce which area scout signed a player. In hockey, the equivalent information about who recommended a prospect is mostly ignored or even hidden.

The exception with the Leafs is Thommie Bergman. We know he is the primary Swedish scout and oversees Europe as a whole. Dave Morrison specifically mentioned that Bergman had been pressing all year to take Viktor (Brother) Loov. No one's picks turn out all the time but Bergman has had a terrific success rate, especially considering how late most of the picks devoted to Europeans have been in the draft. That makes me optimistic when a 7th rounder is spent on a player whom almost no one seems to have heard of. Maybe he's the next Stralman or Gunnarson.

But what about the other areas? Who scouts those areas? I follow the Leafs closely and I don't even know who they are. The scouts who follow US high school and other lower US levels don't seem to have hit very often yet. Maybe I'm being unfair to them. Maybe the guy who scouts eastern US high schools is not the same one who recommend Doherty. Maybe the new guys are terrific and I should think the same positive thoughts about their recommendations as I do about Bergman's selections.

The thing is that we never post about it here. Probably most of us don't even know. So here's a suggestion for a project through the dog days ahead. Let's find out who the area scouts are, when they were hired, and collect information on their success rate so far. Anybody else interested?

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Stephen

One thing with Bergman is he hasn't given us that late round superstar, or gone to bat emphatically enough in the first round for us to get some great European talent like an Erik Karlsson. Maybe its the dynamic within the Leafs scouting staff, but he seems to be relegated to random mid round picks, which has yielded decent results but no home runs.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Sondre Olden made me lose any faith I lad left in Bergman.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote