HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Anybody on here work for a NHL, AHL, AAHL, OHL etc.. team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
  #1
quinton1*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Anybody on here work for a NHL, AHL, AAHL, OHL etc.. team?

Curious to see how many people on here work for or play for pro or semi pro teams like NHL, AHL, AAHL, OHL, etc...

quinton1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:07 PM
  #2
soundtigersfan
Registered User
 
soundtigersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
I used to work for a pro team. It's not as cool as it sounds.

soundtigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:10 AM
  #3
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
You mentioned the AAHL over the CHL, SPHL and ECHL? They aren't even in business anymore.

Just for kicks most minor league teams do NOT make money. From all these leagues you MIGHT have as many profitable franchises as you have fingers.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:31 PM
  #4
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
You mentioned the AAHL over the CHL, SPHL and ECHL? They aren't even in business anymore.

Just for kicks most minor league teams do NOT make money. From all these leagues you MIGHT have as many profitable franchises as you have fingers.
Lloyd Pettit said that the Milwaukee Admirals lost money every season. They had 3 years in a row in the mid 1990s when they averaged over 9000 a home game. How can you not turn a profit on a million fans in three seasons?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:00 AM
  #5
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Lloyd Pettit said that the Milwaukee Admirals lost money every season. They had 3 years in a row in the mid 1990s when they averaged over 9000 a home game. How can you not turn a profit on a million fans in three seasons?
No idea. Must be the lease. But I do know last season the ECHL's Ontario Reign led the league in attendance at around 6700 a game and lost money.

There was an article posted somewhere on here last summer that something like 20 minor league franchises are for sale about every year but you don't hear about them. Hence not many buyers are out there apparently.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
  #6
RFA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
I always figured that what they said in Slap Shot was true... something like "we're just a rich broad's tax write-off". Seems like unless the team is set up to really clean up financailly, they're better off "losing" money.

I was under the impression IHL salaries were high in the mid 90s- travel costs too. I have a friend who was in some IHL pre-season games during that time period and they flew all over for them.

I worked for a MiLB team, it was fun but in most cases there isn't a lot of money to be made. It was very interesting to meet all the characters involved. I had another job the rest of the year that had benefits and a better salary so I wasn't under all of the same pressures- and worked in the clubhouse, very different from the front office.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:49 PM
  #7
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
What jobs were those that you had soundtigersfan and RFA?

Haha you better believe tax write off. Our owner surely does this. Since he owns the arena he has control of the books too. Has a PhD in accounting as well. so cooking the books is a speciality talent. That place could make money but as long as he owns it if it does we will never know. As much as I hate Afr and label the man a crook he is a smart businessman in the fact he only pays what he has to when he has to(hence not paying taxes every year)

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:00 PM
  #8
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,324
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
My brother worked for an arena football league team. They still owe him thousands of dollars.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:19 PM
  #9
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
I always figured that what they said in Slap Shot was true... something like "we're just a rich broad's tax write-off". Seems like unless the team is set up to really clean up financailly, they're better off "losing" money.

I was under the impression IHL salaries were high in the mid 90s- travel costs too. I have a friend who was in some IHL pre-season games during that time period and they flew all over for them.

I worked for a MiLB team, it was fun but in most cases there isn't a lot of money to be made. It was very interesting to meet all the characters involved. I had another job the rest of the year that had benefits and a better salary so I wasn't under all of the same pressures- and worked in the clubhouse, very different from the front office.
Yes. The league adopted a team salary cap that reduced 100K every season starting with 1.5 million. The San Diego Gulls joined the league for several years, then moved to Long Beach and LA. The San Francisco Spiders played one season in the IHL (1995-96) and lost 6 million. I heard third hand that one player wanted 100K from Milwaukee for 1 year. They let him go, even though he was near the top in scoring. A few guys starting going to Europe to play fewer games for more money.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:12 AM
  #10
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
I work part-time for the Islanders. (Go figure)

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:41 AM
  #11
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
My brother worked for an arena football league team. They still owe him thousands of dollars.
What franchise? Top division? I know it originally went under due to bankruptcy.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
  #12
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 5,324
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
What franchise? Top division? I know it originally went under due to bankruptcy.
Milwaukee Iron before they changed their name to the Mustangs.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:04 PM
  #13
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
My brother worked for an arena football league team. They still owe him thousands of dollars.
And he is not alone, I'm sure...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:47 PM
  #14
soundtigersfan
Registered User
 
soundtigersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
What jobs were those that you had soundtigersfan and RFA?

Haha you better believe tax write off. Our owner surely does this. Since he owns the arena he has control of the books too. Has a PhD in accounting as well. so cooking the books is a speciality talent. That place could make money but as long as he owns it if it does we will never know. As much as I hate Afr and label the man a crook he is a smart businessman in the fact he only pays what he has to when he has to(hence not paying taxes every year)
I worked in the AHL for close to 4 years in various capacities. AHL teams are almost always understaffed, so you get to perform a lot of different functions within the organization. It can be a fun work atmosphere at times, but working stretches of 24 days straight without a day off can be taxing. You can kiss your weekends goodbye, because even when your team is done for the season you are still out in the community working various events to find new season ticket and sponsorship leads or performing community outreach events as needed. It's definitely not for everybody, and I always felt bad for coworkers that had wives/families as it is NOT a normal 9-5.

soundtigersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.