HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mtl/chi

Old
06-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Gustav Nyquist
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Why?

Sharp has played with the likes of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook over the last few years.

He doesn't play center (or at least doesn't take faceoffs like a centerman) and we're constantly hearing about how desperate Chicago is for a 2nd line centerman.

If Sharp was as good as he's being made out to be in this thread why the hell do the Hawks so badly need a 2C? Believe he may have played some center at points but obviously cannot hack it.

Sharp has also been a consistent 30+ goal guy, again playing with guys like Toews, Kane, Keith Hossa and Seabrook.

Plekanec has been playing at center, and in mostly matched up against other teams top lines for 2-3 years now. Yes they were very bad in the standings last year, and he particularly had a pretty bad season but look at his GD linemates and compare them to what Sharp has had.

Wouldn't trade Plekanec straight up for Sharp, let alone add anything in.
lol'd, good joke.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:19 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
lol'd, good joke.
So Sharp hasn't been playing on a team that last year had Keith playing 21:42 a night and Brent Seabrook 20:00 a night on EVEN STRENGTH alone?

And Kane didn't play 16:39 a night at ES last year?

15:41 for Toews, 15:00 for Hossa (Sharp was in at 15:16)

Are you saying these 5 players all didn't have as big, or in some cases a much bigger impact on their team than Sharp?

Are you...saying Sharp is the catalyst?

Because if you disagree with me (espeically if you do it so laughably arrogant) than I can see no other conclusion to come to than that exact thing.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:23 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Also, per 82 games in his career Sharp averages 55.7

Plekanec: 54

Plekanec 10 months younger.

Sharp led his team in scoring: Zero times

Plekanec: Once (during the 09/10 season)

Again, why is Sharp so much better than Plekanec? The extra goals he scores on Plekanec? Is that about it?

If Sharp is so good why can't he play center and why don't we stop hearing every 2 weeks how desperate the Hawks are for a 2C?

Feel free to just ignore these questions with a dismissive remark, either I laugh at that or laugh at your attempts to refute these factual comments.

Win win for me really.

I'll ask one more time, why is Sharp more valuable than Plekanec?

Old
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Also, per 82 games in his career Sharp averages 55.7

Plekanec: 54

Plekanec 10 months younger.

Sharp led his team in scoring: Zero times

Plekanec: Once (during the 09/10 season)

Again, why is Sharp so much better than Plekanec? The extra goals he scores on Plekanec? Is that about it?

If Sharp is so good why can't he play center and why don't we stop hearing every 2 weeks how desperate the Hawks are for a 2C?

Feel free to just ignore these questions with a dismissive remark, either I laugh at that or laugh at your attempts to refute these factual comments.

Win win for me really.

I'll ask one more time, why is Sharp more valuable than Plekanec?
good point didn t think of it that way. Eller can take over some of pleks duties

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:42 PM
The Saurus

Yeah, I don't think that amazing package from Montreal is enough to entice them to part with what you want.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:43 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
good point didn t think of it that way. Eller can take over some of pleks duties
Yup hopefully Eller can start taking some more of those minutes next year and Plekx can have some better linemates as well.

Still waiting on why Sharp is better.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Sharp is a better winger than he is a center. I don't want him to play center. Most Hawks fans I've talked to don't. He, himself, doesn't want to play center from what I've gathered. So Plekanec > Sharp in terms of ability as center. But if we're discussing hockey skill, Sharp is better.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:59 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Hey there USG y u mad?

Sharp scores a lot more as a winger because he takes his defensive assignments so seriously. As a center he was rarely free to get to the open ice and rip shots at the net.

Even at wing though, he still plays great D. And while you can look at ice time and say Sharp plays next to Hossa and Toews and Kane all day, he plays with the like of Kruger , Mayers, Brunette, Shaw and other bottom sixes just as much. Just like every one of our most talented forwards, Sharp plays with a revolving door of linemates. So not only is he putting up those numbers playing next to scrubs as much as stars, he never gets an opportunity to develop any sort of lasting chemistry.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Chicago gives up the best player and the best prospect(s) in the deal.. Huge pass.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Hey there USG y u mad?

Sharp scores a lot more as a winger because he takes his defensive assignments so seriously. As a center he was rarely free to get to the open ice and rip shots at the net.

Even at wing though, he still plays great D. And while you can look at ice time and say Sharp plays next to Hossa and Toews and Kane all day, he plays with the like of Kruger , Mayers, Brunette, Shaw and other bottom sixes just as much. Just like every one of our most talented forwards, Sharp plays with a revolving door of linemates. So not only is he putting up those numbers playing next to scrubs as much as stars, he never gets an opportunity to develop any sort of lasting chemistry.
So no one is going to back up their claims that Sharp is better than Plekanec?

Good to know

Old
06-25-2012, 05:22 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Sharp over Pleks, other parts over Weber.

Not close for the Hawks to think about this

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:07 AM
habsfan891
Rookie User

Just out of interest what would you offer for plekanec then

habsfan891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:37 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:

Good to know
Just as well I guess, because CHI has Sharp, and MTL has Plek, and that's the way it's going to stay because Sharp > Plek in the real world, regardless of the dismissive rumblings of an obstinate Habs fan

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:05 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
Sharp=Plekanec

so Morin, Beach, pick for Weber...uhh no.
i'd say sharp is a wee bit more valuable, or maybe not, but hmmm yeah.. basically...

no way chicago does this

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:36 AM
needle

60+ point seasons: Sharp 4, Plekanec 2
30+ goal seasons: Sharp 3, Plekanec 0
Separated in age by 1 year, that's a wash at this stage.

Sharp was on pace to best the career year he had in 2011 this past season before breaking a bone in his wrist.

To sum up, Sharp, even at this age, is only getting better. Plekanec, is regressing.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:14 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle View Post
60+ point seasons: Sharp 4, Plekanec 2
30+ goal seasons: Sharp 3, Plekanec 0
Separated in age by 1 year, that's a wash at this stage.

Sharp was on pace to best the career year he had in 2011 this past season before breaking a bone in his wrist.

To sum up, Sharp, even at this age, is only getting better. Plekanec, is regressing.
So because Plekanec has played with awful wingers in a shut down role the last 2 seasons he's regressing?

Hahaha

I looooove the logic in this thread

Old
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
Hossa is recovering from his concussion, and he's going to be on the decline in a couple seasons. Move him while his value is still high. I said the deal needed tweaking. I don't think they have a d-man they'd be willing to trade that would help the Hawks, though.
It needs a lot more than tweaking.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:

Good to know
People have pointed out that Sharp produces more points and scores more goals as good reasons why Sharp is better than Plekanec. It has also been stated that Sharp plays a solid role on the PK. At this point in time, I would agree that Sharp has a bit more value than Plekanec, a straight up trade offer would be declined by Chicago. I agree with you that Sharp is on a better team, but he is also an important reason why the team is better.

I think tweaking the deal to add to Plekanec is a fair request.

So,here is my tweak:

Plekanec, Emelin, 2013 Habs 2nd rounder for

Sharp and Jimmy Hayes.

Opinions?

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:19 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
People have pointed out that Sharp produces more points and scores more goals as good reasons why Sharp is better than Plekanec. It has also been stated that Sharp plays a solid role on the PK. At this point in time, I would agree that Sharp has a bit more value than Plekanec, a straight up trade offer would be declined by Chicago. I agree with you that Sharp is on a better team, but he is also an important reason why the team is better.

I think tweaking the deal to add to Plekanec is a fair request.

So,here is my tweak:

Plekanec, Emelin, 2013 Habs 2nd rounder for

Sharp and Jimmy Hayes.

Opinions?
That's an awful trade for the habs.

Re: Hawks would say no to a Sharp for Plekanec deal....as would the Habs. Sharp scores more goals and puts up more points on an infinitely better offensive team. He also plays wing as opposed to center.

Sharp by the way, also plays minimal minutes on the PK. On the other hand, he has been the most used guy on the PP the last 2 years.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Last year: Hawks were 6th in the league for goals for. (Habs were 19th)
Year before: Hawks were 4th in the league for goals for. (Habs were 22nd)
Previous year: Hawks were 3rd in the league for goals for. (Habs were 25th)
Previous year: Hawks were 4th in the league for goals for. (Habs were 12th)

People know hockey is a team game right?

Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
That's an awful trade for the habs.

Re: Hawks would say no to a Sharp for Plekanec deal....as would the Habs. Sharp scores more goals and puts up more points on an infinitely better offensive team. He also plays wing as opposed to center.

Sharp by the way, also plays minimal minutes on the PK. On the other hand, he has been the most used guy on the PP the last 2 years.
The Habs would not say "no" to a straight up deal of Plekanec for Sharp. Bergevin would be very happy to put Sharp and Gionta on either side of Eller to see how that line does while waiting to bring Galchenyuk up to hat 2nd line. Eller with two goal scoring veteran threats like Gionta and Sharp would be fun to watch.

Sharp takes a regular shift on the PK (6th most minutes among forwards) for the Hawks. He plays much more on the PP because that is where your best goal scorers are supposed to excel to help your team.

As far as teams go, Sharp's 30+ goals helps Chicago's TEAM to be so much better at goal scoring than our team. Yes, hockey is a team sport, so why try and discount Sharp's important contributions to his team? Sharp would also have a tremendous impact in our top 6, forcing opposing teams to deal with two very difficult defensive assignments when considering a top six of Cole, DD, Pacioretty, Sharp, Gionta, and Eller. We could even consider playing Galchenyuk on the tird line, giving him sheltered minutes the way the Bruins did with Seguin.

Look, I like Plekanec. He is a great second line center. However, if we can get a top 6 winger capable of scoring 30+ goals per season, well, take the chance and get Eller into our top 6 now to see if he can deal with the load. Eller must either be given a chance now, or be relegated to 3rd line duties forever. I would like to see Eller get the chance he deserves. Having veterans like Sharp and Gionta on hand to support him would be amazing. If he fails, then we still have Galchenyuk to give a chance to, at some point.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
The Habs would not say "no" to a straight up deal of Plekanec for Sharp. Bergevin would be very happy to put Sharp and Gionta on either side of Eller to see how that line does while waiting to bring Galchenyuk up to hat 2nd line. Eller with two goal scoring veteran threats like Gionta and Sharp would be fun to watch.

Sharp takes a regular shift on the PK (6th most minutes among forwards) for the Hawks. He plays much more on the PP because that is where your best goal scorers are supposed to excel to help your team.

As far as teams go, Sharp's 30+ goals helps Chicago's TEAM to be so much better at goal scoring than our team. Yes, hockey is a team sport, so why try and discount Sharp's important contributions to his team? Sharp would also have a tremendous impact in our top 6, forcing opposing teams to deal with two very difficult defensive assignments when considering a top six of Cole, DD, Pacioretty, Sharp, Gionta, and Eller. We could even consider playing Galchenyuk on the tird line, giving him sheltered minutes the way the Bruins did with Seguin.

Look, I like Plekanec. He is a great second line center. However, if we can get a top 6 winger capable of scoring 30+ goals per season, well, take the chance and get Eller into our top 6 now to see if he can deal with the load. Eller must either be given a chance now, or be relegated to 3rd line duties forever. I would like to see Eller get the chance he deserves. Having veterans like Sharp and Gionta on hand to support him would be amazing. If he fails, then we still have Galchenyuk to give a chance to, at some point.
Or you keep Plekanec, see if Eller continues to improve and Desharnais wasn't just a 1 year wonder and then next season reassess the situation, depending on what happens with Galchenyuk.

What the hell good does Sharp do the team if Desharnais has a huge comedown and Eller isn't ready for top 6 minutes?

None of your reasoning for why the Habs "should" or "would" trade Plekanec for Sharp make any sense at all.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Or you keep Plekanec, see if Eller continues to improve and Desharnais wasn't just a 1 year wonder and then next season reassess the situation, depending on what happens with Galchenyuk.

What the hell good does Sharp do the team if Desharnais has a huge comedown and Eller isn't ready for top 6 minutes?

None of your reasoning for why the Habs "should" or "would" trade Plekanec for Sharp make any sense at all to ME
I fixed that little mistake for you. I find it interesting that you use the assumption that DD and Eller will fail in order to bolster your position, while ignoring the other side of the coin that Gionta and Sharp would be key components to Eller and DD achieving great success. Heck, even with Plekanec, what do you think happens should Eller and DD fail? Probably the same thing, if you want to be honest.

Keep in mind, I would be very happy keeping Plekanec. I do not feel it is necessary to trade him. However, if trading him gets us a 30+ goal scoring veteran winger who has won a championship, I am willing to consider it due to what we now have at center. I never suggested dumping Plekanec for scraps, I said it would be worthwhile using him to get a 30+ goal scoring winger.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:48 PM
needle

Quote:
Last year: Hawks were 6th in the league for goals for. (Habs were 19th)
Year before: Hawks were 4th in the league for goals for. (Habs were 22nd)
Previous year: Hawks were 3rd in the league for goals for. (Habs were 25th)
Previous year: Hawks were 4th in the league for goals for. (Habs were 12th)

People know hockey is a team game right?
Hawks >>> Habs.

Close this thread down.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle View Post
Hawks >>> Habs.

Close this thread down.
Maybe the moderators can leave the thread open for those of us interested in it and YOU can simply ignore it. How is that for a less than ignorant option?