HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiting for Terry's signature

Old
06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Waiting for Terry's signature

One of the better columns coming from Schopp:

Quote:
Let me say this right up front: I'm optimistic about the Sabres. As has long been the case, I like most of Darcy Regier's moves. Like most of you I just wish there were more of them. I get bored easily.

This weekend (so far) has been pretty typical, I'd say. A neat little draft move gets made to change the Sabres' positioning, to keep us honest, and the results are intriguing if not exciting. But I'm still left wanting. Where's Bobby Ryan? Why is Derek Roy still here? Where's the real roster change?

I'm at the same time impressed and disappointed, if that's possible.

The image of the Sabres certainly has changed since last February when Terry Pegula signed on. No longer are we left to question whether every single thing they're doing or not doing has more to do with money than anything else, as had been the case for the prior, oh, forever.

But is it enough?
Quote:
Most acquisitions they've made since he bought the team (Boyes, Ehrhoff, Leino) would not have been made pre-Pegula. But by my measure there has yet to be a so-called signature move, a move that screams what Pegula said famously on the day of his coronation, that the reason for the franchise's existence now is to win the Stanley Cup.

I don't think they've backed that statement up. If they had, top young players would be moved in the name of veterans and past winners. Brayden McNabb and Marcus Foligno would be on other teams. Your coach and general manager, 14 years on the job with no Cup to their names, probably would have been dismissed. There would eminate a ruthlessness that Pegula and company have not yet shown.

I don't really object to their preferred methods. I'm not a fan of ruthlessness, in general. I like having McNabb and Foligno to look forward to. I like a sports team that grows its own garden, brings up young players through the system and, ideally, wins with them. (That last part has been the catch.) I'm starved for a championship around here, but if you ask me if I'd take a Cup with nine years in the basement instead of 10 years of consistently contending, I'm not sure what I pick. I want the Sabres to always be at least pretty good.

I think that's what Pegula really meant the day he took over. Not exactly that winning the Stanley Cup would be their "sole reason for existence", but rather to try to win within a framework of pre-determined ideologies. Be loyal to your people and treat them well. Make them want to win for you. Loyalty through luxury, if you will.
Quote:
The Sabres have to win before any of us go giving them credit for having the right idea. It's been long enough. Another team this year sipped from the Cup for the first time. It's got to be our turn someday
http://www.wgr550.com/pages/8669316.php?pid=248664

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:33 PM
Afino
The Juice

Problem is, the public at large doesn't care what Pegula "really meant".

He said the goal was to win the Cup. And then win it again. A statement like that shouldn't be made if it wasn't what he really meant. He is already the butt of jokes for saying that and then not making the playoffs. I realize he said from the start it was a "three year plan", and a lot of people forget THAT part of it, but still.

And Schopp is either lying or trolling for hits. He'd rather take 10 years of consistently contending over one Cup? GTFO.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:36 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

I agree, what a stupid statement.I would take 20 seasons of missing the playoffs if it meant we win one cup.

And the whole Derek Roy part is dumb, do fans really think the Sabres are better off trading Roy for garbage then keeping him?My god, it is getting ridiculous.I'd rather move Roy to LW and put Lame-o in the AHL then trade Roy for nothing.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Problem is, the public at large doesn't care what Pegula "really meant".

He said the goal was to win the Cup. And then win it again. A statement like that shouldn't be made if it wasn't what he really meant. He is already the butt of jokes for saying that and then not making the playoffs. I realize he said from the start it was a "three year plan", and a lot of people forget THAT part of it, but still.

And Schopp is either lying or trolling for hits. He'd rather take 10 years of consistently contending over one Cup? GTFO.
The people make those jokes are, frankly, morons.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Sabreality

wouldnt this column have been more appropriate after July 1 (if the moves, or lack thereof are underwhelming)?

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:40 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice article. I would take 1 Stanley and 9 years of losing over 9 years of winning with 0 cups every day of the week. Things have definitely changed since Pegula toke ownership. Before we would never be in on high end Free Agents. Now we are in the running with the high profiled teams in the NHL. Hopefully he can pull off a move to get Parise or Ryan in here in the next few weeks. If he does I will be ecstatic.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:43 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
wouldnt this column have been more appropriate after July 1 (if the moves, or lack thereof are underwhelming)?
#1 Rule of Sabres criticism : Accuse the team of doing nothing as soon as possible. Then, when they DO do something, ignore the fact that you ever criticized them.

Schopp isn't interested in what's best for the team. He wants a splashy move to talk about on his radio program.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The people make those jokes are, frankly, morons.
Oh - I agree. I was just making an observation.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Preferring 1 cup and 9 years of garbage to 10 years of serious contention is absurd to me, especially since you aren't the one actually achieving anything. Contention == entertainment, something to root for deep into every year.

But to each his own.

I don't really agree with anything Schopp says here, which doesn't surprise me.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:44 PM
dma0034

Would you rather be the Carolina Hurricanes or Detroit Red Wings?

Contending doesn't mean you lose every year. Do you want a team good enough to win it for 10 years or a team that sells 9 years for one cup?

It would be hard for me too. (I'd probably take the cup)

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
If you asked me to pick between the Nucks of the last 10 years and the Lightning, I take Vancouver.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Seanothan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
If you asked me to pick between the Nucks of the last 10 years and the Lightning, I take Vancouver.

Call me crazy, but I'll take the cup and the 1-2 rebuilds AINEC

Last edited by Seanothan: 06-24-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Seanothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanothan View Post

Call me crazy, but I'll take the cup and the 1-2 rebuilds AINEC

i'd take a cup.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
heartsabres*

Nothing new to see

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Wow, it's almost like I picked those examples intentionally

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Deevo

This column is dumb as hell. It's June 24.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd take the cup and buy every piece of Sabres Stanley Cup Memorabilia and wear it proudly for the next 10 years until we get our next cup. By this theory we would of already won 4 cups since we came into the league in 1970. Yet, were still at 0 cups in 42 years, so yeah anyone not taking the cup every 10 years is lying to themselves.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Would you rather be the Carolina Hurricanes or Detroit Red Wings?

Contending doesn't mean you lose every year. Do you want a team good enough to win it for 10 years or a team that sells 9 years for one cup?

It would be hard for me too. (I'd probably take the cup)
or the san jose sharks

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i want a cup. i'll take the losing for a decade... no problem (isn't that what the last decade has been, essentially?)

which is why i desperately wanted them to blow this nonsense up 18 months ago...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Some people need some perspective. The Sabres aren't going to cash in on EVERY player rumored to be on the trading block.

The Ehrhoff signing WAS a signficant move.
The Regehr trade WAS a signficant move.

So in order to make Mike Schopp happy you have to pick one of the best players in the draft, trade up to take another very highly valued player, AND trade for an All-Star? I'm pretty sure the moves the team did or didn't make is NOT the problem in this equation.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Afino
The Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
]
So in order to make Mike Schopp happy you have to pick one of the best players in the draft, trade up to take another very highly valued player, AND trade for an All-Star? I'm pretty sure the moves the team did or didn't make is NOT the problem in this equation.
Not 100% what you said, but he basically wants Regier to be Paul Holmgren.

Yeah, and watch the two stars you traded away win a Cup elsewhere.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Cup.

This article is idiotic (nice of me) pre-July 1.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It's easier to sop the tears of a few bad seasons with a corner of a Stanley Cup banner.

06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm baffled actually. I just re read it. I would call Ehrhoff our first signature move. And it was a signature move. 10 year deal, FAIR TO GREAT cap hit, this all after acquiring his negotiating rights prior to the first of July? That doesn't happen with BTG.

So because Ehrhoff's offensive numbers dropped with us, the move isn't "signature" in hindsight. What exactly do you want? Running a business by giving employees one small chance to make right under your watch is no way to be a successful business. Talk to me in two years about lack of signature moves and I'll listen if the argument is legitimate.

Sorry... Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither were the Kings, or last year's Bruins.... Jeeeeeeesus. Always complaining, never complaining coherently. And Schopp is someone I don't despise. This is disappointing.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Jeremy2020

This is a call for change for change's sake.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote