HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wsh - Chi

Old
06-23-2012, 07:30 AM
MW6

vCash: 500
Wsh - Chi

So the Caps managed to fill their big hole at 2C last night. I guess that is more than what many Caps fans dared to believe in.

I think there's still some weaknesses that needs to be addressed if they truly want to contend, and I think Chicago might have the answer in a single semi-blockbuster trade.

I've always thought that Semin should remain on the Caps, and I hope that he wants to now when he has someone to play with.

Chicago get:
Marcus Johansson
Jeff Schultz
Michal Neuvirth
3rd pick 2013

Washington get:
Dave Bolland
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Bryan Bickell

Here's why Chicago does it:
Chicago has Marcus Kruger ready to play 3C, which makes Bolland spendable. Johansson is a top-6 C/W with upside, played mostly on the wing this year on the Caps, still on his ELC and had 46 pts this season.
Hjalmarsson is rumored to be heavily shopped an word around the trade deadline was that Chicago had interest in Schultz. He is not as good but is definately capable of playing good D in the right defensive system and he saves Chi .75M over Hjalmarsson.
Bickell is falling on the depth chart with Bollig, Shaw and Saad looking for permanent spots.
Neuvirth is a 1B goalie that can share/relieve Crawford of the duty of being the only capable goalie in the organization.
This also saves the Hawks around 2,6M in capspace which allows them more flexibility/pieces if the want to go after Parise, Suter or Nash.

Why Caps do this:
They get a solid D-partner for Mike Green to play second pairing. Bolland would allow the Caps to have a shutdown line while moving Laich back where I think he belongs as 2LW.
Bickell gives the Caps a 4th line with Hendricks and Beagle that can do some heavy damage on the forecheck and cycling the puck.

Caps could look:
Ovechkin-Bäckström-Brouwer
Laich-Ribeiro-Semin
Chimera-Bolland-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Bickell

Alzner-Carlson
Hjalmarsson-Green
Hamrlik-Orlov

Holtby + veteran UFA backup

Hawks could look:
Sharp-Toews-Kane
Saad-Johansson-Hossa
Shaw-Kruger-Stalberg
Bollig-Hayes-Carcillo

Seabrook-Keith
Oduya-Leddy
Schultz-Montador

Crawford/Neuvirth

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:34 AM
MalcontentCapsFan

Meh. We can do better. There are better players available and better potential lineups.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:35 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Caps give up the best asset in the best asset in the deal. No thanks.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Caps give up the best asset in the best asset in the deal. No thanks.
Bolland is better than Johansson right now. In the playoffs it's magnified tenfold.

This is the kind of deal that can push a team over the top.

Though if it were Schultz + Neuvirth + stuff for Hjarmalsson that would be fine too

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

I do this deal as a Caps fan. It feels like good value for both sides and needs are met on both sides.

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:24 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Bolland > Johansson
Hjalmasson > Schultz

I'm not really seeing why Chicago does this. They get worse at forward and on defense.. Neuvirth would interest Chicago, but not at the expense of Bolland.

P.S, I like Johansson.. but there's no arguing who you'd rather have in a Cup run.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Bolland > Johansson
Hjalmasson > Schultz

I'm not really seeing why Chicago does this. They get worse at forward and on defense.. Neuvirth would interest Chicago, but not at the expense of Bolland.

P.S, I like Johansson.. but there's no arguing who you'd rather have in a Cup run.
Pretty much this, we aren't looking long term so Bolland is far more useful to us than Johansson. Ideally we would like to acquire a 2C without giving up Bolland. This deal makes us a worse team in the short term with hopes that Johansson can be a long term solution to our need of a 2C. Not exactly something we would be interested in. If Neuvirth is available I am sure there would be interest from our end but not at the cost of a roster player.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:43 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

[QUOTE=MW6;51360143]..Here's why Chicago does it:
Chicago has Marcus Kruger ready to play 3C, which makes Bolland spendable..[QUOTE]

No, and No.

You can have Kruger insted of Bolland.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
This makes Hawks weaker ,, No thanks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

no thanks. Bolly and Hjammer are better players

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Is Laich not your third line center?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Bolland = Johansson
Hjalmarsson > Schultz
Bickell << Neuvirth + 3rd

You have to look at the whole picture (see above)

Bolland may bring other things to the table than Johansson, but to say that he's a better player... that's stretching it. 46 pts in his second season vs 37 pts in his 5th, while playing about the same minutes. I'd call them both pretty even but with different strenghts.

That's also why I'd prefer Bolland on the Caps, because we don't have someone to fill the 3C slot.

Johansson would allow the Hawks to have Kane and Sharp on their natural positions, playing on the 1st line. And there's no better UFA-option that's not going to cost you a lot more.

It also saves $2,6M in capspace for the Hawks and would allow them to seriously go after Suter/Nash/Parise.

Oduya replaces Hjalmarsson without missing a step and not to mention it makes the Hawks much more competent in net.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:57 PM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Is Laich not your third line center?
He's better suited and getting paid as a 2LW.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
He's better suited and getting paid as a 2LW.
More like he is getting paid #2 C money to play LW

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Meh from a Caps perspective, and obviously Chicago fans aren't on board.

I'd love to add any of the guys coming from Chicago in the deal, especially Hjalmarsson. But this trade moves too many important pieces and removes too much depth. If Holtby regresses or gets injured, we're down to having a vet back-up from an incredibly weak goalie market (or having to overpay for someone's back-up goalie, and given the Bobrovsky and Lindback trades, I'm not interested in that). Giving up Johansson means we're one injury away from having Perreault or Laich in our top 6 center spots again, and if Ribeiro isn't extended our best long term solution to that problem is out of the organization.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:29 PM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Meh from a Caps perspective, and obviously Chicago fans aren't on board.

I'd love to add any of the guys coming from Chicago in the deal, especially Hjalmarsson. But this trade moves too many important pieces and removes too much depth. If Holtby regresses or gets injured, we're down to having a vet back-up from an incredibly weak goalie market (or having to overpay for someone's back-up goalie, and given the Bobrovsky and Lindback trades, I'm not interested in that). Giving up Johansson means we're one injury away from having Perreault or Laich in our top 6 center spots again, and if Ribeiro isn't extended our best long term solution to that problem is out of the organization.
Or Bolland? of course not the ideal longterm solution but as a fill in if needed.
And yes, the goalie situation is far from perfect, but maybe the Hawks wouldn't mind sending back Emery in the deal if added a later round pick.
My only concern about the line-up after this proposed trade is that I'd like Brouwer on the 3rd line instead of Ward (his salary needs to go in the future) and a good RW to play with Ovie and Backstrom.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:55 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
You have to look at the whole picture (see above)

Bolland may bring other things to the table than Johansson, but to say that he's a better player... that's stretching it. 46 pts in his second season vs 37 pts in his 5th, while playing about the same minutes. I'd call them both pretty even but with different strenghts.
Johansson and Bolland are not equals to a Stanley Cup contending team.. what Bolland provides in a shut-down role is far more valuable than what offense Johansson provides in a secondary scoring role. Like I said, I like Johansson.. but not at the expense of Bolland, a proven playoff performer capable of shutting down the best players in the world.

Quote:
Johansson would allow the Hawks to have Kane and Sharp on their natural positions, playing on the 1st line. And there's no better UFA-option that's not going to cost you a lot more.

It also saves $2,6M in capspace for the Hawks and would allow them to seriously go after Suter/Nash/Parise.

Oduya replaces Hjalmarsson without missing a step and not to mention it makes the Hawks much more competent in net.
The Hawks already have enough cap space to go after Ryan Suter if they want and they'll have even more if they move Hammer by himself.. there's no need to move Bolland. Come back in 2 years when Phillip Danault is ready and lets make a deal with Bolland.. but right now, it doesn't make any sense for Chicago to trade him in a deal where he is the best player involved at the time of the trade.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

If Bolland ends up in DC because Danault makes him expendable, I'm going to sacrifice a goat because the only explanation would be McPhee being some sort of warlock.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Bolland is a better player than Johansson by a fair margin. Hjalmarsson is also a good deal better than Schultz. Bickell is basically a throw-in.

From Chicago's point of view, the downgrade from those two players isn't really worth it just to get a goalie who is pretty much average.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

want Bickell for a 2nd next year?

Old
06-24-2012, 09:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Bolland is a better player than Johansson by a fair margin. Hjalmarsson is also a good deal better than Schultz. Bickell is basically a throw-in.

From Chicago's point of view, the downgrade from those two players isn't really worth it just to get a goalie who is pretty much average.
Not really.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:41 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Is Sharp really very untouchable or would a package of Johansson, Green, our 1st or Neuvirth or something like that do it?

Last edited by fedfed: 06-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.
fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowmans not Holmgren (spell?)

He won't trade a player before his longterm deal starts

Old
06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Is Sharp really very untouchable or would a package of Johansson, Green, our 1st or Neuvirth or something like that do it?
Nothing wrong with the value.. but Chicago can't trade Sharp A) Because he's an outstanding character player, who's a leader and alt. captain on the team and B) Because our LW depth would go to **** without him.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Not really.
He is. Plays with trash all year long (very unlike Johansson) and still puts up the same numbers (more goals than Johansson) and is one of the premier shutdown defensive centers in the NHL.

Bolland is a good deal better.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote