HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who gets to pick Mackinnon?

Old
06-24-2012, 09:36 PM
passive voice

vCash: 500
Wonder what kind of odds you could get on Nashville.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
I'm gonna say either the Islanders or Columbus - but I don't necessarily think MacKinnon will go #1 overall. It's too soon to tell.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Ed Wood

If Spezza or Karlsson get hurt the Senators could be surprisingly bad. I thinks Seth Jones goes first With MacKinnon and Monahan a tossup for second spot.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Brovalchuk

Stop winnin' for MacKinnon!

Brovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:46 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
The Wild finished 7th from the bottom this year after enduring a near record slate of injuries. With their influx of young talent, and a healthy roster, how do they sink lower?
Adding Grandlund won't really help them much, since his flashy style really won't be very effective in a neutral zone trap like Lemaire coaches there. Their Fenwick was pretty brutal last year and they probably shouldn't have even finished as high as they did. They've got a lot of regressing to the mean to do this year just to make up for those lucky wins they built up last year.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
No, just the 12 forwards. Tambellini isn't going to waste a draft pick on some lousy defenseman.
I get the joke but it isn't really accurate. The Oilers drafted a defenseman in the first round last year.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Wow not a single person has said TB? I'm sure more would have before the Lindback trade and is Lindback really that much of a difference maker right now?

They have a very poor roster outside of their known high end guys. The D is abysmal tbh, the bottom 6 is well below avg even after getting Pouliot...Guy Boucher is a good coach so maybe they won't be last but I don't see a playoff spot anyways.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Honestly, none of the usual suspects (Columbus, Edmonton, etc.). It will likely be some team that was predicted to be in the playoff bubble that for some crazy reason totally bombed the season (like Columbus last year).
Technically, therefore, this couldn't be determined until after free agency, but candidates for "what the hell just happened to us" at this phase might well be Minnesota, Buffalo, Florida, Winnipeg, Dallas, Calgary, Carolina, Ottawa, Chicago, and (wait for it...) Detroit. Plus any of the Usual Suspects if there's a rebound during the free agency period.

(DISCLAIMER TO FANS OF THOSE TEAMS: I am not saying y'all are doomed - just that crazy **** can happen to anyone and y'all have less distance to fall than others. In particular, there's some of those that I seriously, seriously doubt would pick 1st overall - for example, I'm sure Red Wings fans are already wondering what that disturbance in the Force is and will soon destroy me despite my cries of "I don't think it'll happen!". But crazier things have happened.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

CBJ will be last, imo...doesn't mean they'll get the #1 though.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Pause for a moment and imagine if Detroit lost Lidstrom, and when on to get Seth Jones to replace him.

Won't happen, but **** that'd be cool.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
Winner.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Wow not a single person has said TB? I'm sure more would have before the Lindback trade and is Lindback really that much of a difference maker right now?

They have a very poor roster outside of their known high end guys. The D is abysmal tbh, the bottom 6 is well below avg even after getting Pouliot...Guy Boucher is a good coach so maybe they won't be last but I don't see a playoff spot anyways.
People probably aren't mentioning them for the reasons you said. True, they have bad D, and goaltending is still suspect, and yes their bottom 6 isn't that good...but they're top 6 is good enough to keep them out of the basement. If they have key injuries they could be a lottery team, but even then I don't think they get the first overall.

This is kind of the same reason I don't think NYI will get first overall either. I think Tavares will have a true breakout year and that'll keep New York from the basement. I actually don't think they'll even be bottom 5 next year.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

There are a few teams who fail to deliver a winning team, and as much crap as Edmonton gets for getting three first overalls in a row, they do try to ice a good team.

The only team I expect to be a lottery team is one who consistently lacks a commitment to winning.

I know it sounds like a troll by singling out the New York Islanders, but Wang has yet to show anything but the team as a way to make money.

Until winning seems to matter to ownership, I'm not going to expect it.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:01 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

The pessimist in me says:

1 Ball: Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, New York, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington
2 Balls: Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
3 Balls: Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Long Island, Toronto, Winnipeg

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
If Spezza or Karlsson get hurt the Senators could be surprisingly bad. I thinks Seth Jones goes first With MacKinnon and Monahan a tossup for second spot.
I personally think that the sens or habs could win this lottery quite easily.. Both could be contending for the 7-8th spot or the bottom of the east.. I put Ott, Mtl, Tor, NYI, CBJ, Edm, Cgy, Dal all in this category. Maybe Minnesota, but i think that they will be players in the FA market.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I have a very hard time believing that any one of the Wild, Oilers, or Leafs will be the worst in the league this year. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Columbus or the Islanders. Maybe even NJ if they lose Parise and don't replace Brodeur (whether he's coming back or not).

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Rune Forumwalker

So far it looks like JN is setting up Dallas to tank for a top five pick. Unless something big happens, that's what I'm assuming the plan is. And if so, I think (hope) they would go after Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Edmonton will finish #5 and win the lottery.
Isn't that the truth. No way the NHL gives #1 to Dallas if they get in the mix. Most likely it goes to any Canadian or Eastern team in the mix, imo.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:42 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I have a very hard time believing that any one of the Wild, Oilers, or Leafs will be the worst in the league this year. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Columbus or the Islanders. Maybe even NJ if they lose Parise and don't replace Brodeur (whether he's coming back or not).
the isles just got a first pairing dman, how are they going to be worse?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Oilers. I just don't see their dynasty ending anytime soon.
Imagine...

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Magnus - MacKinnon - Eberle

It be unreal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:44 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
There are a few teams who fail to deliver a winning team, and as much crap as Edmonton gets for getting three first overalls in a row, they do try to ice a good team.

The only team I expect to be a lottery team is one who consistently lacks a commitment to winning.

I know it sounds like a troll by singling out the New York Islanders, but Wang has yet to show anything but the team as a way to make money.

Until winning seems to matter to ownership, I'm not going to expect it.
you have no idea what you are talking about

Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Imagine...

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Magnus - MacKinnon - Eberle

It be unreal.
and then the dman with that joined the oil a season early the season after

Old
06-25-2012, 12:50 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
you have no idea what you are talking about
Fine. Educate me. What commitment to winning has Wang shown? So far, all I see is a team just wanting to stay above the cap floor.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:56 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Fine. Educate me. What commitment to winning has Wang shown? So far, all I see is a team just wanting to stay above the cap floor.
the fact that he still owns them and his commitment to the team, its not his fault that kate murray is an idiot and the local voters are idiots and just vote for the familiar name, she never allows any new development in the town of hempstead yet wang still tries

Old
06-25-2012, 12:58 AM
startainfection

Quote:
winning isn't a pure thing but his commitment to long island and commitment to nvmc and that area implies a strong desire to win

Old
06-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
and then the dman with that joined the oil a season early the season after
No, we don't play with dmen or goalie. Thats our starting lineup.

Run and gun baby!

Crabapple is online now   Reply With Quote