HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Dominoes are starting to fall?

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
SprDaVE

vCash: 500
Uh oh...

Quote:
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Told by very good source #Canucks G Roberto Luongo has - to this point -- declined to waive no-trade clause to go to #Blackhawks or#Leafs.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:17 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Uh oh...
I hope it isn't true about Toronto, but knowing our luck it probably is..

Old
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I hope it isn't true about Toronto, but knowing our luck it probably is..
Interesting... If that's the case he's doing us a favour - we just move onto the next option(s).

Old
06-25-2012, 08:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

If Luongo is so good, they should trade Schneider and grab a regular back-up.

If they can't get good offers because of that dumb contract, move the guy who doesn't have one.

Luongo is either a salary dump, or he's good enough to wear that contract.

Put Schneider in play and see what the offers are. Maybe they already have and Luongo is just a smoke screen.

If Luongo won't waive to go to Toronto, he's probably come to realize the pressure would be too great for him to handle it.

And thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, Lou. Can you imagine every game listening to that for every fricken save? That's his fricken job, stopping the puck. Do you Kuuuuuuuuuuuuulyyyyyyyyyyyy for every shot on net that Kulemin takes?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-25-2012, 08:23 AM
dubplatepressure

Another thought on Luongo - I bet he wants to go back to Florida. His family still lives there, it's nice and warm, no sales tax to pay, no pressure. If this is true, no wonder he's saying no to Toronto and Chicago with Florida kicking tires. It's funny though because there has been some rumour that Florida's interest was more fabricated than anything else just to drive the price up.... Maybe this is backfiring on Gillis now.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:23 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaffanDM View Post
make no mistake about it gillis doesnt want luongo in that room come september. this is just Gillis playing Burke's game and how he works with the media. talking up the player in question, trying to make it sound like having him signed for 10 years is an asset.. pff everything thats coming out of his mouth is just smoke. a game of chicken to see who caves first. And dont believe for a second that both of them not liking each other personally doesnt make this more difficult than it should be lol
which is why the leafs can wait until closer to the start of the season, things are only going to get worse for Gillis. They are expected to compete for the cup

Old
06-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Why couldn't they just trade down. Was no one willing to part with a 2nd rounder?
The price to move up from #2 to #1 is greater than a 2nd. #1 picks are always overpriced, which is why we never see them get traded.

Sucks about Luongo. Would love to add Theodore as the veteran backup now.

Vezina winner, lots of experience with high pressure market, and coming of a solid steason. I think he'd be the perfect fit for us.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
The price to move up from #2 to #1 is greater than a 2nd. #1 picks are always overpriced, which is why we never see them get traded.

Vezina winner, lots of experience with high pressure market, and coming of a solid steason. I think he'd be the perfect fit for us.
I'd like to see them bring in a back-up who doesn't have to play, but works more as a mentor.

Another young forward would be nice on the roster, maybe one or two from the Marlies, and see an organic growth to the team. Burke should continue with the rebuild and not try and jump a growth cycle.

New coach, new system, let's see some improvement in the structure of the team. Have them be a tough team to play against, even if it costs some scoring chances. Bringing a big young center into the mix is the next step.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

On the plus side about Luongo, at least if its true the Leafs can move on elsewhere trying to improve this team.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I'd like to see them bring in a back-up who doesn't have to play, but works more as a mentor.

Another young forward would be nice on the roster, maybe one or two from the Marlies, and see an organic growth to the team. Burke should continue with the rebuild and not try and jump a growth cycle.

New coach, new system, let's see some improvement in the structure of the team. Have them be a tough team to play against, even if it costs some scoring chances. Bringing a big young center into the mix is the next step.
I will have to disagree with you there. I think they need to bring in someone who can do both.

I think Reimer needs a little more seasoning at the NHL level before we can hand him the starter's role. I mean, yea, he was really solid before his injury last year, and the year before, but I would like to see him maintain that level of play for another season, playing around 30-50 games, before I feel confident to go with him as the #1.

Young players generally don't deal with adversity that well - which is why we see many of them go through prolonged slumps early on. Generaly, peoply learn to deal with adversity from experience. Having a mentor who can both let him take some time off, and advice him on how to deal with the issues would be better for us IMO.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

Not the last two times the first was traded.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Quote:
I will have to disagree with you there. I think they need to bring in someone who can do both.

I think Reimer needs a little more seasoning at the NHL level before we can hand him the starter's role. I mean, yea, he was really solid before his injury last year, and the year before, but I would like to see him maintain that level of play for another season, playing around 30-50 games, before I feel confident to go with him as the #1.

Young players generally don't deal with adversity that well - which is why we see many of them go through prolonged slumps early on. Generaly, peoply learn to deal with adversity from experience. Having a mentor who can both let him take some time off, and advice him on how to deal with the issues would be better for us IMO.
I agree with you CL, I think a veteran who can play 30-40 games is ideal

Old
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Radiohead
Street Spirit

Let's go after Jonathan Bernier.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I agree with you CL, I think a veteran who can play 30-40 games is ideal
I'm not saying they bring in a veteran who can't play, but a veteran who doesn't have to play. Bring in someone who isn't worried about his next contract. If you bring in someone who is more concerned about his own future then I think you don't get the proper mentoring because he'd be serving two masters.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Orbital

Does JVR signing make Penner a no-go signing since they both play left wing? Burke said that JVR is def not a banger so it seems that Penner for 3.2 mil and Gaustad would make sense.

Lupul-BOZO-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Penner-Gaustad -Kadri
Frattin-Steckel-Brown

Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Does JVR signing make Penner a no-go signing since they both play left wing? Burke said that JVR is def not a banger so it seems that Penner for 3.2 mil and Gaustad would make sense.

Lupul-BOZO-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Penner-Gaustad -Kadri
Frattin-Steckel-Brown
Would Penner take a big pay hit to play in Toronto? He might looking in to cash in on his successful playoffs or might re-sign in LA.

06-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post

Lupul-BOZO-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Penner-Gaustad -Kadri
Frattin-Steckel-Brown
I'd rather just play Kadri/Frattin on the third line, unless Penner is willing to sign a one-year deal for $3M or less (which I doubt).

Old
06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Let's go after Jonathan Bernier.
I'm not against this idea, actually.

Of course, my interest is dependent on the cost to acquire him.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:47 AM
91Kadri91

What does everyone think of Daniel Winnik? He's a UFA this summer, and I think he's someone the Leafs should look at.

He's 27 right now (and will remain 27 through the majority of next season), and would really help the Leafs out in my opinion.

He's a left-winger, and is very good defensively. He plays a ton of shorthanded minutes and, obviously, is a pretty good penalty killer. He's scrappy (he'll give you about 100 hits a year), and he's not afraid to block shots. His HARD+ suggest that he's a good defender, with the ability to be great (if previous years are any indication). Not only that, but he can chip in some goals and points as well, both of which should see an increase if his shooting-percentage stabilizes like it should.

The may reason I think the Leafs should consider him, and why I personally am so interested in him, is because I think him and Kulemin would be a great start to a shutdown type third-line.

Oh, and to make Don Cherry happy, he's from Toronto.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
I'm not against this idea, actually.

Of course, my interest is dependent on the cost to acquire him.
I get a bad feeling about him. Our track record with acquiring back ups to be a starter is brutal.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:51 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Let Panthers trade for Lu then we can trade for Theodore. It's certainly not a top notch tandem but a Theodore-Reimer/Scrivens tandem is still very solid.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I get a bad feeling about him. Our track record with acquiring back ups to be a starter is brutal.
Yeah, that's true. I like the idea that he's young though, and can grow with the core.

He's obviously got loads of potential too, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Do you think this team would make the playoffs:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-Frattin
Komarov-Steckel-Brown

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Liles
Schultz-Komisarek

Theodore
Reimer

Im assuming Burke is going to bring in another forward, but im not sure who.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Orbital

If Burke can unload the LAC in LACK,that would be one of Burke's finest moves this year.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Do you think this team would make the playoffs:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-Frattin
Komarov-Steckel-Brown

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Liles
Schultz-Komisarek

Theodore
Reimer

Im assuming Burke is going to bring in another forward, but im not sure who.
If goaltending can hold its own, and Gardiner doesn't struggle too much, then yes.

Closed Thread