HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part X: Bobby, we're better than Philly!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
  #276
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
in 15 years it wont matter. We need an impact player on our top 6. Luckily for me, Sather is most likely thinking the same thing and will pull something out of his hat for us and well have better offense next season. The fact that we had to look to a kid straight out of college to carry us that late into the playoffs is ****ing erroneous.
I think people are making excuses to not take a bet. Too afraid to admit you guys are probably wrong and that you'll all be buying me that delicious 4 pound piece of cow from minetta tavern completed with savory bone marrow and mashed potatoes?

mahonistan* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
  #277
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Jordan Staal is nowhere near the offensive player either Ryan and Nash are. And as a center, he's not a playmaker. He has yet to score 30 goals. Yes, he scored 29 one year but 7 were shorthanded goals and you can't count on that kind of productivity (he's only had 6 shorties in the 5 seasons since). I understand he's only 23, so it all depends on what upside you think he has but if you choose Staal over Ryan or Nash, it's based on your take of the future and not on any thing that's actually happened yet.

I'm just thankful Pittsburgh isn't better at drafting when the #1 isn't handed to them. Imagine if they had taken Toews instead of Staal (or even Backstrom or Kessel).
Anyone who is comparing Staal to Nash needs their brain checked.

Nash is >>>>>>>>>>> Staal

GregSirico is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
  #278
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,294
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
This Nash thing is really getting out of control. Howson is becoming a bigger and bigger joke with each passing milestone.

First we absolutely had to trade for Nash at the deadline, otherwise we'd be screwed in the playoffs and the high-scoring juggernauts from Pittsburgh and Philly would run over us.

Then we absolutely had to trade for him at the draft because Parise was off the table and there's no other option available to us through free agency.

Now supposedly the demand is going to sky rocket once the top-FA's are gone. With Parise in Pittsburgh and Ryan in Philly, we'll have to give up the farm for Nash or we'll be screwed!

Howson can keep waiting. At the end of it all, he'll just be left with a really pissed off Rick Nash that may or may not come to training camp.
If the CBA is settled before camp, either Nash shows up, or is suspended without pay and he would still owe C-bus the time he missed.

It won't affect Columbus.

players are no longer allowed to withhold their services the way Yashin held out every year on a valid contract.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
  #279
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,396
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I think people are making excuses to not take a bet. Too afraid to admit you guys are probably wrong and that you'll all be buying me that delicious 4 pound piece of cow from minetta tavern completed with savory bone marrow and mashed potatoes?
What? Dude i hope i'm wrong, are you kidding me? I hope Kreider has 80 pts and Hags scores 30 goals and Duby comes back to get 60 pts and we don't need any help up front and when playoff time rolls around the defense and Hank aren't carrying the team through them and we're scoring more than 1 or 2 goals a game and maybe we have one of those rare 8 goal games that every team seems to have each year except us because our highest scoring game is 5. I hope we lead the league in GF but dude, you're taking quite a gamble by not signing anyone to help up front, if you ask me.

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  #280
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Moving MDZ requires adding an offensive dman, so moving him is not just a question of whether he's more valuable than Ryan.

Chief is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:43 AM
  #281
mahonistan*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
What? Dude i hope i'm wrong, are you kidding me? I hope Kreider has 80 pts and Hags scores 30 goals and Duby comes back to get 60 pts and we don't need any help up front and when playoff time rolls around the defense and Hank aren't carrying the team through them and we're scoring more than 1 or 2 goals a game and maybe we have one of those rare 8 goal games that every team seems to have each year except us because our highest scoring game is 5. I hope we lead the league in GF but dude, you're taking quite a gamble by not signing anyone to help up front, if you ask me.
I'm not taking a gamble doing either way. I don't control which moves are made. I don't work for the Rangers. The real gamble is the steak... and either way I'm eating a steak with Ranger fans so the steak part is pretty much a win/win.

mahonistan* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
  #282
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,396
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
I'm not taking a gamble doing either way. I don't control which moves are made. I don't work for the Rangers. The real gamble is the steak... and either way I'm eating a steak with Ranger fans so the steak part is pretty much a win/win.
Yeah i guess i gotta agree there. No matter how heated arguments get in here, i'm sure we'd all get along over some steak and Rangers. I wish everyone thought like that.

That said, you're wrong.

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:44 AM
  #283
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Or how about we stop talking steak dinners and we get back on topic.

Hey that sounds like a good idea!

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
  #284
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Jordan Staal is nowhere near the offensive player either Ryan and Nash are. And as a center, he's not a playmaker. He has yet to score 30 goals. Yes, he scored 29 one year but 7 were shorthanded goals and you can't count on that kind of productivity (he's only had 6 shorties in the 5 seasons since). I understand he's only 23, so it all depends on what upside you think he has but if you choose Staal over Ryan or Nash, it's based on your take of the future and not on any thing that's actually happened yet.

I'm just thankful Pittsburgh isn't better at drafting when the #1 isn't handed to them. Imagine if they had taken Toews instead of Staal (or even Backstrom or Kessel).
I would rather have Staal than Kessel.

chosen is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
  #285
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,396
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Or how about we stop talking steak dinners and we get back on topic.

Hey that sounds like a good idea!
Someones a vegetarian.

But the topic is fine. Get Bobby Ryan.

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
  #286
gravey9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Ryan is not perfect, but he is a top 15 wing in this league and scores 30-35 goals in each of his first four NHL seasons without 1st unit PP time. On this team, he would be a 35-40 goal scorer.
Please stop making these sorts of predictions. Remember how much more Gomez was going to score playing with Jagr. Or Drury would get playing in the top 6 again? Or Richards would score playing with Gabby? The truth is, they all either played at their normal pace or BELOW when they got here.

Furthermore.

Ryan played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. Why do you think putting him on a line with Richards/Hagelin or Stepan/Kreider will suddenly make him score 10 more goals?

Ridiculous.

gravey9 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
  #287
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Someones a vegetarian.

But the topic is fine. Get Bobby Ryan.
Lol not at all, I could go for a burger right now. And yes, get Bobby Ryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Please stop making these sorts of predictions. Remember how much more Gomez was going to score playing with Jagr. Or Drury would get playing in the top 6 again? Or Richards would score playing with Gabby? The truth is, they all either played at their normal pace or BELOW when they got here.

Furthermore.

Ryan played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. Why do you think putting him on a line with Richards/Hagelin or Stepan/Kreider will suddenly make him score 10 more goals?

Ridiculous.
You haven't seen Bobby Ryan play and I know this for two reasons. If you've seen Ryan play you'd know:

1) He doesn't play with Getzlaf and Perry that much, rather he spends a lot of time bouncing between lines one and two. He actually spent quite a large amount of time on the second line last year.

And

2) Bobby Ryan doesn't play on the first power play unit in Anaheim. That's reserved for some scrub named Teemu Selanne. He'd be playing on the first power play here.

45 goals isn't out of the question at his peak.

New York RKY is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
  #288
turcotte8
Registered User
 
turcotte8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
Looks like his price has not gone down and teams are losing interest in him

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...g-be-over.html

“We’ll just keep working,” general manager Scott Howson said. “I sensed through the middle of (last) week that there was not a big push from the teams I’ve been talking to. This was not a day when people felt a pressure point.”

Howson is asking for three to five pieces, a combination of high-end prospects, NHL talent and draft picks.


Howson must strike a deal for Nash. Or he must convince Nash that it is in everyone’s best interest for No. 61 to remain a Blue Jacket. Or Howson and majority owner John P. McConnell should call a news conference and say:

"We cannot get fair value for Nash. He means more to us than anyone, which is why we agreed to pay him $62.4 million over eight years. In any case, he is contractually obligated to suit up for our team. Period. And besides, we have no other forwards."

turcotte8 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  #289
freewheeler
Registered User
 
freewheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Please stop making these sorts of predictions. Remember how much more Gomez was going to score playing with Jagr. Or Drury would get playing in the top 6 again? Or Richards would score playing with Gabby? The truth is, they all either played at their normal pace or BELOW when they got here.

Furthermore.

Ryan played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. Why do you think putting him on a line with Richards/Hagelin or Stepan/Kreider will suddenly make him score 10 more goals?

Ridiculous.
I generally agree, though, there is such a thing as diminishing returns. With Perry and Getzlaf, nevermind Selanne, there are only so many goals to go around. And with Ryan's youth, and apparent lack of PP time, it doesn't seem completely ridiculous that he could jump to 40+ in his best season. That said, to expect it is too much. And anyway, he doesn't need to bring 40-45 goals to provide a massive boost (which you may agree with).

freewheeler is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
  #290
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,396
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
If I am I guess I'm buying the steak. But if I'm not you are. I gotta tell you though. This slab of beef from minetta is to die for.
I'll segue back on topic here, lol although im hungry now. Hungry for some Bobby Ryan. We gotta get a player who is a threat. Ryan fills a need up front. Maybe have to trade an asset we don't want to, but we need to suck it up for the good of the team.

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
  #291
LordsCup*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
Looks like his price has not gone down and teams are losing interest in him

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...g-be-over.html

“We’ll just keep working,” general manager Scott Howson said. “I sensed through the middle of (last) week that there was not a big push from the teams I’ve been talking to. This was not a day when people felt a pressure point.”

Howson is asking for three to five pieces, a combination of high-end prospects, NHL talent and draft picks.


Howson must strike a deal for Nash. Or he must convince Nash that it is in everyone’s best interest for No. 61 to remain a Blue Jacket. Or Howson and majority owner John P. McConnell should call a news conference and say:

"We cannot get fair value for Nash. He means more to us than anyone, which is why we agreed to pay him $62.4 million over eight years. In any case, he is contractually obligated to suit up for our team. Period. And besides, we have no other forwards."

Oh thats a nice classless remark to say to his team " we have no other forwards"

And whos fault is that?

Boy hes a disgrace.

LordsCup* is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
  #292
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
Why does Anaheim want to trade Ryan with their 2 best players eligible to walk out the door for nothing?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
  #293
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Oh thats a nice classless remark to say to his team " we have no other forwards"

And whos fault is that?

Boy hes a disgrace.
LMAO that is great. Trashes his group on offense because he's being a baby as his peers won't agree to his ridiculous demands.

Anthony Mauro is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
  #294
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
modus operandi
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 15,396
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why does Anaheim want to trade Ryan with their 2 best players eligible to walk out the door for nothing?
Good question. But as long as there is so much speculation about it and an entire thread in the trade section dedicated to him, we might as well discuss it right?

Killem Dafoe is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
  #295
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,423
vCash: 300
That quote is legendary.

Forced me to change the thread title.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
  #296
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Oh thats a nice classless remark to say to his team " we have no other forwards"

And whos fault is that?

Boy hes a disgrace.
That is what the writer who wrote the piece is saying he should say. not what Howson actually said.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  #297
gravey9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Lol not at all, I could go for a burger right now. And yes, get Bobby Ryan.



You haven't seen Bobby Ryan play and I know this for two reasons. If you've seen Ryan play you'd know:

1) He doesn't play with Getzlaf and Perry that much, rather he spends a lot of time bouncing between lines one and two. He actually spent quite a large amount of time on the second line last year.

And

2) Bobby Ryan doesn't play on the first power play unit in Anaheim. That's reserved for some scrub named Teemu Selanne. He'd be playing on the first power play here.

45 goals isn't out of the question at his peak.
Yeah, but you're talking about potential. He could also have a 15-20 goal season playing john tortorella style hockey and suddenly facing every team's top d pairing.

I think it's smarter and appropriate to project that he'll continue to score at his current pace or even slightly below. That's no knock on him either.

gravey9 is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  #298
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
That is what the writer who wrote the piece is saying he should say. not what Howson actually said.
Exactly, this.

New York RKY is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
  #299
Grumpy Humphrey
Registered User
 
Grumpy Humphrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
That is what the writer who wrote the piece is saying he should say. not what Howson actually said.
Looks like people just skimmed.

Grumpy Humphrey is online now  
Old
06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
  #300
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Yeah, but you're talking about potential. He could also have a 15-20 goal season playing john tortorella style hockey and suddenly facing every team's top d pairing.

I think it's smarter and appropriate to project that he'll continue to score at his current pace or even slightly below. That's no knock on him either.
Yea but I'm saying it's not totally out of the question go him to increase his goal production by 10 a season due to his circumstances. Is it probable? Who knows but the possibility is definitely there.

New York RKY is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.