HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part X: Bobby, we're better than Philly!

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Just learned from the Avs: Peter Mueller has NOT been tendered a qualifying offer by the Avalanche. That means he will become an unrestricted free agent July 1. Does that mean for sure he wonít be back with the Avalanche? Looks that way, although this is still early in my discovery process. Will try to learn more.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...g-offer/10891/

Big concussion issues here. He returned after missing 2 years. He was owed a $2.5M QO. Mueller returned to finish 11-12.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I want scoring that's it. Whether its through a trade or FA we need another top 6 guy
I agree we MUST get another SNIPER.
It is difficult to build a consensus on who and how, though.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Dubinsky has to go back even CBJ fans know that but to expect him as the main piece is insane lol. Hell include del zotto at least when though they don't need him, but at least he is a main piece
One can't be sure with what is heard on these boards, but I get the impression that both the Hawks and Leafs would consider reasonable payment for Dubinsky if we couldn't shovel his cap onto CBJ.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Big concussion issues here. He returned after missing 2 years. He was owed a $2.5M QO. Mueller returned to finish 11-12.
Is Mueller at the GP level where we can structure his contract with bonuses? I know they had/have that injured player deal in the CBA where if they miss a certain number of games, a team can offer them an incentive laden contract.

That's the only way I'd touch Mueller.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
I don't want to give up kreider or stepan because we can't afford to, but the value is fair. And even with Nash not caring he's still scoring 30 goals year in and year out. Yes 7.8 is a lot for 30 goals but I expect he would be in the 35-40 range here
These are 2 unequal situations, IMO.
Stepan we would like to hope would have all the intangibles, but also the scoring touch and finesse of Jeff Skinner. I expect continued modest to moderate improvement of Stepan, but not this anytime soon. Accordingly, I'm good with moving him for an upgrade.

Kreider, however, we don't know what his ceiling is. An uber-elite not withstanding, we shouldn't trade him.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Mueller is the perfect reclamation project. Similar to when the Kings traded for Justin Williams, who is now a fixture on their top line.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytom17 View Post
Trust me those are two I don't want to give up either.step an and kreider are of limits in my mind.
I didn't mean on this board but people get chipy when I mention moving mdz or AA I didn't mean on this site.
As far as I'm concerned, both could go for a Nash or Ryan

Old
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

He'd be the right type of player to play on a line with Kreider and Stepan. The Rangers have long been rumored to have interest in him. Would not surprise me at all to see Sather target him on July 1.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRAvery16NYR View Post
ESPNís Pierre LeBrun reports Ott is still available to be had from the Stars but clarifies the team could hang on to him if they donít get a deal to their liking.

I would love to have him on the Rangers. What do you think would get it done?
Ott would be ideal because he could:

Replace Prust (fighting)
Replace Avery (agitator)
Slot in as 3rd line Center sending Boyle to 4th line C.

would AA straight up get it done? If not I would move Dubinsky for
Ott as he is more versatile, however i'd rather keep both and try
to move AA in this deal.

Either way, we should be definitely getting Ott.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:35 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Is Mueller at the GP level where we can structure his contract with bonuses? I know they had/have that injured player deal in the CBA where if they miss a certain number of games, a team can offer them an incentive laden contract.

That's the only way I'd touch Mueller.
He'd have to have 400 NHL games to qualify.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:37 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
Instead of getting a premier FA, we should target complimentary pieces that would help our main pieces shine and not get busted up. Having a guy like Poni would create some offensive threat in our bottom six and getting a big bruiser that could still hold his own in our zone would be great additions. Although adding Ray Whitney wouldn't be bad if he signs for around 3.5 or so.
I would like to agree with you on that, but the prob is we must get a serious sniper. A complementary piece or 2 or 3 will not do it.
(I'm not saying don't improve with better complementary pieces or other better parts of the team. But we are deficient at sniper.)

Old
06-25-2012, 05:39 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Well, here's where you're wrong. Trading Nash for either Kreider or Stepan DOES NOT make the rangers suddenly a favorite to get out of the east.

1. Stepan is our 2nd line center. Our 2nd best puck distributor behind Richards. You trade him in the Nash deal, you have no one to get Nash the puck OR no one to get Gaborik the puck. And if you put Nash and Gabby on a line with Richards then we're back to one scoring line. So, that doesn't work.

2. Kreider was the single most effective forward in the ECF at 20. He was more effective than Schenn after a full year. And he's what? 6 or 7 million dollars cheaper than Nash and 4 or 5 years from his prime. I know that Nash is a better player than Kreider is right now, but I can't justify trading them straight up in the cap era.

Bottom line. And we can talk this out all day. You need to figure out a Nash trade that does not include Stepan and Kreider or you need to tell Nash to approve a trade to another team as I think his list is incredibly narrow.
Stepan can go if for an upgrade, not cheap of course, but I can live w/AA if we stop jerking him around from line to line.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
bernmeister

[QUOTE=mahonistan;51477507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Why? We had the best record in the East last year with an extrememly young team. These young guys can only get better. Your argument makes no sense. I'd rather wait 2 years to win and win 3 cups then trade it all away and win one and then have to wait another 20 years. The young guys on this team can and will win us 2-4 cups if we keep them together.
A great example is trading Park and Ratelle for an old Esposito. We would have won at least 2 pucks if we had kept Park and Ratelle
We need to add to upgrade, but we shouldn't sell too much of our youth to do it.
Should be do-able, we're only willing to overpay for a couple of premium guys.

great point, but both Park or Ratelle was much better than Espo EVER was.
I still curse Cat Francis to this day.....

Old
06-25-2012, 05:49 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I would like to agree with you on that, but the prob is we must get a serious sniper. A complementary piece or 2 or 3 will not do it.
(I'm not saying don't improve with better complementary pieces or other better parts of the team. But we are deficient at sniper.)
I think you overrate the necessity of a sniper. It's been proven time and time again playmaking centers and strong, puckmoving defensemen are more important to winning a cup - not that there's a specific formula.

Jeff Carter is the only person I would qualify as a sniper on the LA Kings team and I don't think he was even the 4th or 5th most important King on that team. Boston, off the top of my head, only had Ryder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Stepan can go if for an upgrade, not cheap of course, but I can live w/AA if we stop jerking him around from line to line.
He gets jerked around from line to line as his play goes. Sometimes he plays like a second line center. A lot of the time he doesn't and gets according ice time.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I think you overrate the necessity of a sniper. It's been proven time and time again playmaking centers and strong, puckmoving defensemen are more important to winning a cup - not that there's a specific formula.

Jeff Carter is the only person I would qualify as a sniper on the LA Kings team and I don't think he was even the 4th or 5th most important King on that team. Boston, off the top of my head, only had Ryder.

He gets jerked around from line to line as his play goes. Sometimes he plays like a second line center. A lot of the time he doesn't and gets according ice time.
AA never played bad enough to play with Rupp and whoever else was on that awful line, but he was there for a good stretch of the season.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rangers are not trading Stepan, McDonagh, Staal, Kreider, Hagelin, Girardi.

Lundqvist, Richards, Gaborik, Callahan obviously.

That's the core.

Del Zotto most likely won't be going anywhere.

Anisimov I'm not yet convinced is long for the Rangers.

Ott? Not for Dubinsky. That's lateral. And Dubinsky could pot 20 again and put up 50 points again.

Ott for Anisimov and a prospect is fair.

Whitney, Doan, Meuller, Boyes, Sarich, Jurcina, (Torrey) Mitchell, Konopka all are likely to be targets of affection on July 1st.

Schultz is priority #1.

Nash, Ryan, Kane(s) are not happening.

Old
06-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Lundsanity30

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks AA could play center on 2nd line. Ask urself is stepan/ufa better than Ryan or Nash and AA?

Old
06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Would they take Anisimov?

I rather trade him. It's easier to replace a 3rd line center over a 2nd line center.

Anisimov+Dubinsky+Thomas+1st = Ryan
AA get us less. He's the better physical talent we should develop and move Stepan IF a premium is offered for him.

Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks AA could play center on 2nd line. Ask urself is stepan/ufa better than Ryan or Nash and AA?
He's not a second line center. Plain and simple.

Stepan is NOT getting traded. You may as well save yourself some stress and accept it.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

That's the core.

Ott? Not for Dubinsky. That's lateral. And Dubinsky could pot 20 again and put up 50 points again.

Whitney, Doan, Meuller, Boyes, Sarich, Jurcina, (Torrey) Mitchell, Konopka all are likely to be targets of affection on July 1st.

Schultz is priority #1.

I can assure u someone like Nash Ryan or parise is #1 Target, not schultz. Whether or not it happens, a scorer is the number 1 target. I also don't see Hagelin as unmoveable when kreider plays the same and has more talent

Old
06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Remember when Sather offered Sanguinetti to PHX for Mueller

Quote:
The Blueshirts can't make a meaningful trade because they can't afford to move the few assets other teams actually want. To wit: The Post has learned Sather recently offered young Hartford defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti to the Coyotes in exchange for young, talented and underachieving center Peter Mueller.

But Phoenix general manager Don Maloney, who had a hand in drafting Sanguinetti 21st overall in 2006 when serving as Sather's assistant, didn't bite. Maloney, we're told, instead countered with a request for either Brandon Dubinsky or Ryan Callahan.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1yqgtkkLi

If you read the Brooks column,things have changed.

Maloney traded Mueller for Wolski who also wasn't qualified today. That was some trade.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
He's not a second line center. Plain and simple.

Stepan is NOT getting traded. You may as well save yourself some stress and accept it.
Never said he was. And no the stress will be when watching the Rangers games and hoping Hank saves every shot because we can't score for **** that's when ill be stressing

Old
06-25-2012, 06:03 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:

That's the core.

Schultz is priority #1.

Ott, Ryder for Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon and a 2nd.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
AA never played bad enough to play with Rupp and whoever else was on that awful line, but he was there for a good stretch of the season.
I completely agree. He should have been on the third line all along, he's too good, if only defensively.

The problem is, the back of his mind is always seemingly in the defensive zone (remember when he still played with Dubi and Cally two years ago?) and his offensive zone repertoire is almost uniquely limited to backhands from a long ways away on the goal line and falling down on his ass.

His defensive skills make him a perfect 3rd line C for us and I don't see why Tortorella prefers Boyle there for any reason but faceoffs. However, his offensive skillset is too inconsistent to play on the second line. Hell, I hope I'm wrong. Butttt, I don't think I will be.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I can assure u someone like Nash Ryan or parise is #1 Target, not schultz. Whether or not it happens, a scorer is the number 1 target. I also don't see Hagelin as unmoveable when kreider plays the same and has more talent
You can "assure" it?

Well apparently not, because every report is that the Rangers will do "anything necessary" to get Schultz signed.

He's priority #1. He will be available to agree on Wednesday. Officially signing on Sunday.

Nash and Ryan are not priority #1. The Rangers are not willing to deal what it would cost. They are NOT going to be a Ranger.

Hagelin put up 30+ points in less than a full season in the NHL in his first professional season.

He's not getting traded.

There's a huge difference between fantasy desires and reality.

Closed Thread