HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part X: Bobby, we're better than Philly!

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I guess I just don't have much confidence that Mueller or Latendresse will turn out that way, particularly Mueller.

Smyth, however, is likely to be adequate at the very least, and possibly better than that.

I could see Sather signing Mueller, however. It's a very Sather move. Then again, Smyth would be, as well.
For all we know, we could end up with both. I've just never been a big Smyth fan. However, at the right price for a 1 year deal, I might consider it.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Smyth would be a disastrous move. An aging player who has seen his production go down consistently — not what this team needs.

06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
NYR Viper

I would be 110% okay with Ryan Smyth for a year. 40-50 points. Hard-nosed. Great leader. There is no downside to a deal like that.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:22 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
No, the likelihood of the scenario has very little to do with the creativity of posters on message boards. The likelihood of the Kings trading Pearson a week after the draft is pretty much non-existent because, most of the time, teams don't trade prospects right after they were drafted. The only possibility of something like that happening is a prospect being included in a deal as part of a package for a big ticket return sometime around the start of free agency. So unless you expect the Kings to construct a package deal for one of the Rangers star players, I would say your **** out of luck as far as getting Pearson to the Rangers.
I said this in a prior post:
Kings are well stocked, and had a good draft, not too many weaknesses. They might consider prospects/futures/secondary (rather than top player) assets, because that works for them financially and picks are flexible. But of course, they don't want to give him away. Nor would we if the shoe was on the other foot.

Yes, Lombardi is thought to be looking to upgrade further with an eye for Parise, and if Parise goes home to say, the Wild he may consider other options which are also bigger in scope.

But end of the day, Pearson, like any prospect, is an asset.
Under certain terms it pays to keep him; under others it could pay to move him.
Can we make it pay with a price we can live with, which might include pick(s).

Quote:
This idea, like most of your ideas, simply has very little basis in reality.
IMO, (a copyrighted notion) there is a weave theory to time, which is like a blanket intersected by two distinct weaves.
One, fate, is all the stuff that happens that you have no control over;
the other, destiny, is all stuff that happens through what you have chosen to do or not do.

It is not realistic to the think we can come up with a suggestion that entices the Pens to part with Malkin or the Lightning to part with Stamkos.

The unproven Pearson, at this point, is in fact in theory more obtainable now as he appears to be only a valued prize, but not an essential component, for the Kings.

Translating that theory into reality requires work and imagination.
But there is a basis to it.

I'm reminded of the song 'Dialogue' by Chicago. One of the best blurbs of lyrics EVER, by Robert Lamm, is
will you try to change things with the power that you have, the power of a million new ideas

Last edited by bernmeister: 06-26-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: content clarification
Old
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
They should ask for crazy on the first pass.
The question is can we counter offer something they'd accept which is not crazy for us to give up.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Bern, let me put this in a way you might understand and finally stop talking about Tanner freakin Pearson:

If the Rangers liked him more than Miller, who was picked 15th, they would have picked him at 28 this year.

We do not need Pearson. Miller+ 1st will be terrible asset management. He went 30 in a weak draft. Nothing to write home about.

It's always someone with you. First it was Taylor Hall, now it's Tanner Pearson, over and over again. When will the madness end?

Old
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
DutchShamrock

Smyth depends on the price obviously.

Don't see why NY or LA trades prospects. If LA's cupboard is full, they'll move some proslects for skaters to help them continue winning now. But more realistic, they'll hang onto these guys that don't count against the 50 contract limit and let them mature into cheap replacements.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Bern, let me put this in a way you might understand and finally stop talking about Tanner freakin Pearson:

If the Rangers liked him more than Miller, who was picked 15th, they would have picked him at 28 this year.

We do not need Pearson. Miller+ 1st will be terrible asset management. He went 30 in a weak draft. Nothing to write home about.

It's always someone with you. First it was Taylor Hall, now it's Tanner Pearson, over and over again. When will the madness end?
i dont kinow why you keep attacking him. hes not suggesting miller and a first. he said thats what KINGS FANS ASKED FOR. he asked what the fans on this board would deem a fair trade to get him, just like people speculate what it would cost to get any other player. its ridiculous how some people on this board just attack people bc its them and dont stop and READ

Old
06-26-2012, 01:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
i dont kinow why you keep attacking him. hes not suggesting miller and a first. he said thats what KINGS FANS ASKED FOR. he asked what the fans on this board would deem a fair trade to get him, just like people speculate what it would cost to get any other player. its ridiculous how some people on this board just attack people bc its them and dont stop and READ
Enough talk about Pearson. The KINGS haven't expressed any desire to move their 1st round pick 4 days after selecting him. And if the RANGERS were so interested in him they would have just drafted the kid themselves. This is lunacy.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:41 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

4 new pages and no news. Just talking about dealing for prospects that were just drafted? Cmon.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Pizza

Sometimes it's right in front of you.

If Clark picked Skeij over Pearson, does that not make it evident that we do not want Pearson? I guess that's why some folks think this discussion is a waste of time and a bit frustrating.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
If the Rangers liked Pearson, they would have drafted him last week. He's just as unproven as Skjei. Maybe if he proves to be better in a few years, than yes, you can trade for him.

I can read, thank you, like I've read his TRADE GIRARDI proposals since at least November. Or "Get a Sniper at all Costs" proposals.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
They should ask for crazy on the first pass.
The question is can we counter offer something they'd accept which is not crazy for us to give up.

.....oy vey...

Old
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
If the Rangers liked Pearson, they would have drafted him last week. He's just as unproven as Skjei. Maybe if he proves to be better in a few years, than yes, you can trade for him.

I can read, thank you, like I've read his TRADE GIRARDI proposals since at least November. Or "Get a Sniper at all Costs" proposals.
Haha love the last paragraph.

Skjei seems like great, glad we took him. If he read the papers he wouldnt be so confused as to why we didnt take Pearson. Clarke, Gorton, and Sather love defense, saying that you can never have enough defense.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
4 new pages and no news. Just talking about dealing for prospects that were just drafted? Cmon.
Are you kidding it happens all the time. Scouts just love it when they put an entire year into grading a kid and the GM just arbitrarily trades him 5 days later.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Are you kidding it happens all the time. Scouts just love it when they put an entire year into grading a kid and the GM just arbitrarily trades him 5 days later.
Now this is good humor. Maybe certain will stop posting this BS.

Its almost as if certain posters dont take into account the expenses of a years worth of scouting.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
nyr5186

If we could get a guy like Smyth on a one year deal, that would be ideal. He essentially takes Fedotenko's spot in the lineup as a bottom 6 tweener who can be moved around the lineup pretty easily. Love Feds, but there's no question Smyth, even at 36, would be a great improvement offensively. He's always had a knack for finding the net.

The other advantage to a signing like that versus taking a chance on a 3+ year deal is it gives more of an opportunity for a kid like Thomas or JT Miller or somebody out of the blue to win a roster spot (either out of camp or later in the season). Who will be this year's Hagelin? Whoever it may be, the avoidance of long term deals this offseason will give us much greater flexibility down the road when kids are knocking on the door.

On top of that, it's also important to remember that next summer we've got a lot more important RFAs to lock up than this summer. So we can't afford to make a mistake on a long-term deal now. This is all in accordance with the idea that we have a very established young core that has proven it can go deep in the playoffs. Let's have faith in that core while filling in some missing pieces. Re-evaluate at the deadline. That's what depth is for.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:

ive never said i want or think its realistic to trade for him nor do i care, but you guys just pick on bern bc he likes a player. we have pages upon pages of people clamoring to get different players they personally like all time even when there are indications it wont happen. all i said is HE NEVER ADVOCATED FOR TRADING MILLER AND A 1ST FOR PERSON he just said that kings fans asked for that. i was quoting YOUR comment bashing bern as if he wanted to trade miller and a first

everyone just chill out. everyone is edgy bc the draft is over and they want some news that the team is improving. july 1 is coming and hopefully some actual moves will too and not just fan speculation

Old
06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

When Bern likes a player, he makes all sorts of crazy proposals to get him. And it's never just for a day. I still don't think he's let Taylor Hall go.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Wait, PK Subban is rumoured to be available? Why?
I heard the Islanders were extremely interested, read it over on their board. Not sure how much truth there is to it though.

06-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

PK Subban would be great on a pairing with McDonagh.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
PK Subban would be great on a pairing with McDonagh.
Show Habs fans what could have been. Not gonna happen though. It would take a lot to get him.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

New RFA Compensation For This Summer

Did anyone else see this? Could have a big impact this offseason:

$1,110,249 or below No Compensation

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 3rd round pick

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 2nd round pick

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 1st round pick, 3rd

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd

Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

That is so much more reasonable than giving up 5 first round picks (which was absolutely ridiculous!) We could see A LOT more offer sheets this year; I would def do one for Evander Kane, in a second!

...AND we also MUST MUST MUST lock up McD next year before anyone can offer him a sheet; he's the type of player you lock up for the next DECADE and you just know there will be a lonnnnnnggggggg line of teams ready to do anything to get him...

Old
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Honestly, I would love PK on our back end. One can hope.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
No, thank you for asking, let me clarify again, I am not.

I asked what would it take, "JT Miller and 2013 Ranger 1st" was the quote. I said a polite thank you and I would see what we said here. I did not accept the offer. I am not advocating the offer.

I am suggesting we see if there is a fit
. Not Miller.
I did ask what was areas of need, and it was something like might consider a 3rd line RW to push our guy. I proposed three out of four, Boyle / Christian Thomas / rights to Prust / 2013 first, which was rejected. That's why I said Thomas won't cut it.

They have previously during last season expressed interest in Anisimov. I want to hear everything with an open mind and not rush to any judgment, including that particular door. But again, we may be able to come up with ... something that is win win.

Thank you again for the polite inquiry and not assuming I said something I in fact did not say.
OK, to answer your question.

The MOST I would be willing to offer for a guy that we PASSED on (regardless of reason) that was drafted as an overager (19 now, going to be 20 in October) is a 2nd round pick in 2013

Not willing to accept that? That's cool. We keep our 2nd rounder in 2013 and draft someone better.

Next?

Closed Thread