HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion VII: Never Go Full-Rossi (Contract chart/FA list in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 09:11 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

vCash: 500
"The Pens are going HAM on Suter/Parise," - Rob Rossi, probably.

I do want some more rumors - no matter how sensationalized - so please keep us posted if you listen to the interview

Old
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I was having similar thoughts. Can someone explain to me why defense is more a priority than wing for the Pens? I keep hearing that, OMG, the Pens have to sign Suter first, not Parise. Why exactly?

Granted for next year they will be taking a huge chance if they rely on Despres, Brian Dumoulin or Morrow, even though those players would be in the NHL already on a lot of teams. And any of them should slot in very well, Despres particularly looked great in his time with the Pens. But look at the defensive depth:

Minors:

Simon Despres, Brian Dumoulin, Joe Morrow, Derrick Pouliot, Scott Harrington, Brian Strait, Robert Bortuzzo, Philip Samuelsson, Carl Sneep, Nick D'Agostino, Harrison Ruopp, and Olli Maatta.

Pens:

Kris Letang, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Deryk Engelland, Matt Niskanen, Ben Lovejoy

They will lose Brian Strait and Robert Bortuzzo for nothing if sent down. The long and short of it is that the Pens are stacked with quality defensive options that will be cheap for the better part of the next decade. Signing a stud defender and tying up that much cap space, well is great for the coming year but in years after wouldn't the cap space be better spent on adding Parise and maybe another wing and filling the defensive needs from within?
fixed. what are we gonna do with these guys?

Old
06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
shero on wdve just said he is NOT trading for anyones rights.
That's because he is not an idiot - considering what Parise and Suter have been saying.

Rob Rossi on the other hand..... is a moron of gargantuan proportions.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
trade them for wingers

Old
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
mpp9

Started to think about it more. Unless we're front loading Sid's contract, I'm not sure I see us paying Suter or Parise more in any one year.

I'm just gonna keep telling myself that Shero dumped Michalek for a reason. I may be one of the few, but I'd say acquiring Setoguchi and Kulemin is as good of a scenario as signing Parise. Will cost us a fair amount of assets but two cheap contracts who round out our top 6 nicely. Leaves us some serious space to acquire a top 4 D-man. And realistically give Suter the money he wants and have plenty of room.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think paying Parise or Suter a lot in the first or second year is that big a hurdle. We have a lot of cap space and Sid's new deal is a year away, Malkin and Letang's a couple years away. There's a little window where we could overpay for a year or two to get a deal done. Sid may even take a bit less early in his deal so the Pens can front load Parise or Suter's contract. Sid would just get the highest paying years slightly later when Parise or Suter's contract come down a bit.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Watching a little NHL Network last night, they are reviewing a few teams per episode - although, seemingly, not in any order. They talked about Colorado, then Buffalo, then Calgary.

But that got me thinking...

With the cap space available and if we don't get one of the big fish we're after, do you make a move for Iginla?

1 year left at $7M, no future impact to expiring deals.

Edit to add - contingent on Calgary going full re-build, and Iginla asking out

Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
The thing is, I get that we are cup calibre team. And that you are better with veteran players rather than rookies. Especially on defense. However, at some point you need to bite the bullet and play these guys, even with some mistakes, and live through the growing pains, if you are going to have cap friendly skill on the team. If not this year, the next, or the year after, or after, or whenever. But it is inevitable.

You all know how worthless I feel the regular season is. That gives us a year to get a player like Despres ready for the playoffs and his career. Maybe another of the rookies as well.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Watching a little NHL Network last night, they are reviewing a few teams per episode - although, seemingly, not in any order. They talked about Colorado, then Buffalo, then Calgary.

But that got me thinking...

With the cap space available and if we don't get one of the big fish we're after, do you make a move for Iginla?

1 year left at $7M, no future impact to expiring deals.

Edit to add - contingent on Calgary going full re-build, and Iginla asking out
We can't. Iginla - for all that he means to Calgary - will cost too much to acquire in a trade. We don't have the kind of assets to make that feasible, IMO. He is the absolute dream for an "UFA veteran wanna win the cup" signing in 2013 though. Or as a deadline upgrade with the mind to carry on into his twilight.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Flat Stanley

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Penguins will be finalizing decisions on their own UFAs-to-be over the next few days. Steve Sullivan looks like the best bet to return.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Konstantin Koltsov

I can't allow myself to believe that the Pens can land both Parise and Suter this offseason. It's just too good to be true. If they get one or the other, I'll be ecstatic. Defense is the more immediate need obviously, but Parise would be such an amazing addition. As long as Shero doesn't totally whiff, I think I'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Penguins will be finalizing decisions on their own UFAs-to-be over the next few days. Steve Sullivan looks like the best bet to return.
As long as it's a reasonable price, I wouldn't mind having Sully back at all.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Also keep in mind that this upcoming season when Parise and/or Suter's contract would be front loaded is Crosby's lowest paid season at $7,500,000 and Martin (if he isn't traded) lowest paid season at 4 million and the year after this is Malkin's lowest paid season at $7,500,000.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
SirBrad

Quote:
Sign Suter and Parise, re-sign Suillivan. Trade TK and Martin. Bam. That easy.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I agree. He's cheap depth scoring and the guys seem to love him in the room. He's a little older and soft though.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
That's because he is not an idiot - considering what Parise and Suter have been saying.

Rob Rossi on the other hand..... is a moron of gargantuan proportions.
There's also a chance the 3rd rounder he dropped for a week of Hamhuis' rights still plays on his mind as well.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:46 AM
mpp9

Not sure where Sully fits in the lineup at ES. But if we're not planning on having Morrow up this season and we don't sign Whitney, we could sure use him on the PP.

I really want to see a Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis line. Has the potential to be the best 3rd line in the game. Maybe use Sully on the 4th line.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Flat Stanley

Nah, I think if we re-sign Sully, he will be Crosby's winger.

_____-Crosby-Sullivan
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Asham-Vitale-Adams

Old
06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
mpp9

I suppose you could try it.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Honestly that core is insane. That is all you would ever need.
Except you need depth to win...

Old
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Flat Stanley

I just don't think Sullivan is a 4th liner, he is probably going to be paid between $1.5M and $2M. He was Crosby's winger late in the regular season and playoffs. Those 2 had some chemistry.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Not sure where Sully fits in the lineup at ES. But if we're not planning on having Morrow up this season and we don't sign Whitney, we could sure use him on the PP.

I really want to see a Cooke/Sutter/Dupuis line. Has the potential to be the best 3rd line in the game. Maybe use Sully on the 4th line.
If we sign Parise, I'd throw Sullivan right next to him and Sid. Top 6 complete.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
schmidtlesauce

Quote:
Nah, I think if we re-sign Sully, he will be Crosby's winger.

_____-Crosby-Sullivan
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Asham-Vitale-Adams
I see you are being optimistic and assuming Kennedy is gone?

Old
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
schmidtlesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If we sign Parise, I'd throw Sullivan right next to him and Sid. Top 6 complete.
That would be the smallest, and most bastardly line in the league i think. I love it

Old
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Dupree13

Can somebody sell me on Suter? Because from what I'm reading, IDK. Not physical, not a great shot, meh point production. Great puck mover who does little things. Sounds like P-Mart part deux. Is he really what we need, let alone at a massive price tag?

Old
06-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I'd be OK with that if it's for 1 year.

Regarding title: Excellent.

Regarding Despres as plan B trade: no chance IMO (another Rossi brain-fart).
He's the only one among our young stud D who:

a) knows our system
b) has a decent amount (~20 games) of NHL experience playing within our system, including some playoff experience
c) is physically imposing
d) has a high upside

He is the least likely prospect trade piece IMO. The most likely among those guys is one of Bortuzzo or Strait (project as solid blueliners), and maybe Harrington, in terms of value / being ready or close to ready for an NHL team.

Dumoulin I think is also unlikely given he was part of the Staal deal and is NHL ready or close to it, and a defensive D. Pouliot I'll say isn't likely because of how he was picked (team clearly high on him). Maatta could be in a trade mix but is farther from being ready than the other players. But Despres is going nowhere IMO.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-25-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Closed Thread