HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion VII: Never Go Full-Rossi (Contract chart/FA list in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Pretty safe to say ZP has 2 teams in mind. Probably us and the Wings. I doubt he wants to stay in Jersey, and Minny is tacked on cuz they could throw big money at him.
If he goes to FA, I don't think his options will be nearly that narrow. Just one example -- LA can throw just as much at him as we can. The only hole they have to fill is top 6 LW where Penner was.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:10 PM
YourWickedness
Rookie User

Hello first time poster, Long time lurker. Anyone think were holding onto Martin to try and lure Parise here? They were former teammates in Jersey and perhaps Shero and management are hoping that Martin will have nothing but good things to say about the organization. I remember Martin being sold to the city by Jordan Leopold if I remember correctly.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:12 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
Anyone wanna take a stab at our powerplay if we got Parise? Anyway we could not roll out Sid, Geno, Neal, Parise, Letang on the top group?
I'd have Sid and Zach down low. Geno have the right wall. Sully (if we resign him) and Tanger up top.

Neal is gonna be the odd man out if we get Parise.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
Anyone wanna take a stab at our powerplay if we got Parise? Anyway we could not roll out Sid, Geno, Neal, Parise, Letang on the top group?
I would love to see a Parise-Sid-Letang/Suter and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal-Letang/Suter based PP. 1 min each.

When it gets hairy: Neal-Crosby-Parise-Letang/Suter-Malkin

Old
06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd have Sid and Zach down low. Geno have the right wall. Sully (if we resign him) and Tanger up top.

Neal is gonna be the odd man out if we get Parise.
You make Geno or Sid learn to play the point if it means keeping Neal on the PP instead of Sully. Or else you split the units up. You do not sit the guy that just led the league in powerplay goals.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

I'd love to have Doan for a cple years. I dunno if he really would leave Phoenix though. He loves it there, does an unreal amount of charity there and has deep ties there. But unless the ownership is stabalized there you never know.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWickedness View Post
Hello first time poster, Long time lurker. Anyone think were holding onto Martin to try and lure Parise here? They were former teammates in Jersey and perhaps Shero and management are hoping that Martin will have nothing but good things to say about the organization. I remember Martin being sold to the city by Jordan Leopold if I remember correctly.
Welcome. It's a good thought, but I don't think that becomes a factor with his situation.

The lure of flanking Sidney Crosby far outweighs whatever Paul Martin has to say.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
You make Geno or Sid learn to play the point if it means keeping Neal on the PP instead of Sully. Or else you split the units up. You do not sit the guy that just led the league in powerplay goals.
It's not worth discussing until he signs. But Sully is better at the point than Sid/Geno have proven to be. They're comfortable on the wall. Sid can play down low.

I absolutely bump Neal off to make space for Zach. Our puck movement would be ridiculous.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:22 PM
YourWickedness
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Welcome. It's a good thought, but I don't think that becomes a factor with his situation.

The lure of flanking Sidney Crosby far outweighs whatever Paul Martin has to say.
Yes I sure hope that Crosby has been texting back and forth with Parise come Sunday afternoon.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
It's not worth discussing until he signs. But Sully is better at the point than Sid/Geno have proven to be. They're comfortable on the wall. Sid can play down low.

I absolutely bump Neal off to make space for Zach. Our puck movement would be ridiculous.
Parise would have to prove he's a better powerplay option than Neal then. One of these guys scored 18 powerplay goals last year. The other scored 7. Either way, it would be a good problem to have.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

What are we thinking it would take to get Bobby Ryan from Anaheim?

Reports are that Philly was just rejected Mezaros+Read+1st 2013 for Ryan.

Is Martin+TK+1st 2013 worth more than that? Maybe we'd have to thrown in one of our D prospects.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
What are we thinking it would take to get Bobby Ryan from Anaheim?

Is Martin+TK+1st 2013 worth more than that? Maybe we'd have to thrown in one of our D prospects.
I'm thinking Bennett+DProspect would have to be the bulk of it. Though they may prefer 2 D guys or something I don't know. Definitely need a D prospect in there though. We aren't getting him for our scraps+ 1st.

I bet the first thing they'd ask for as a starting point is Despres.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:31 PM
YourWickedness
Rookie User

The trend this year seems to be players picking where they get traded to. We have already seen it with Staal wanting to go to Carolina. Roberto Luongo apparently only wants to waive his NTC to go to Florida. Bobby Ryan has already expressed how he would be interested to go to Philly. I think its unlikely we try to make an offer for him. Does he have a NTC?

Old
06-26-2012, 09:31 PM
mpp9

I really don't see us in the running for Ryan. Not seeing Anaheim giving him up for D prospects. But Murray is dumb so maybe he'd let him go without addressing their need at center.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I really don't see us in the running for Ryan. Not seeing Anaheim giving him up for D prospects. But Murray is dumb so maybe he'd let him go without addressing their need at center.
If he really wants out they might have to settle eventually though. Still, I don't see us having a high chance at him either.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:39 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Neal is a much better pure goal-scorer than Parise, IMO. He just has the perfect shot for the PP. No way you take him off of it.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Neal is a much better pure goal-scorer than Parise, IMO. He just has the perfect shot for the PP. No way you take him off of it.
agreed. Even when Parise had 45 goals, only 14 were on the PP.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
He was taken off the top unit without Parise in the lineup. Unless we're splitting Sid/Geno up, I don't see it.

Another reason why I think we should temper our expectations for his production next year. Strong possibility he's not getting anywhere near the PP opportunity.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
JTG

The thing is, I think Neal needs to be in Sid's position on the powerplay. Another reason why I'd like to see 2 units if we get Parise. Have Geno and Neal on one, Sid and Parise on the other.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
He was taken off the top unit without Parise in the lineup. Unless we're splitting Sid/Geno up, I don't see it.

Another reason why I think we should temper our expectations for his production next year. Strong possibility he's not getting anywhere near the PP opportunity.
which would be a coaching mistake imo. James Neal has the best short/mid range snap shot on the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing is, I think Neal needs to be in Sid's position on the powerplay. Another reason why I'd like to see 2 units if we get Parise. Have Geno and Neal on one, Sid and Parise on the other.
If we have Sid, Geno, Neal and Parise I agree. If we have Kunitz, Sutter, Tangradi, Sully, Letang, Niskanen and Despres to fill in the other spots, I think we'd have 2 pretty damn good groups with everyone playing in a comfortable position. And if they don't play a 1:30 PP shift, they can come back on the ice sooner after the PP.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:53 PM
JTG

Neal needs to be on the goal line where Sid plays, and allow Geno to work the right wall. I don't know where Parise plays, but maybe he works the right wall, and Sid keeps his normal position. Fill out the rest of the unit around those 4.

Old
06-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post

Wow. Stupid Anaheim.

And yeah, that's better than anything we can offer. Mez>Martin, Read>TK, 1st=1st.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Jordin Tootoo...

We're going to be heavily engaged with the big 2 early on, but once we get those ducks in a row (hopefully), is Tootoo a guy we look at? Shero's philosophy has always been to make this a team that is hard to play against and we lost sight of that last season...Tootoo (or Prust) would certainly go a long way in restoring that attitude. The vitriol that would spew forth from Philly fans at the thought of a 3rd line of Cooke-Sutter-Tootoo is enough entertainment value in itself to make a deal worth it....

Old
06-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Chili Goal
Professor of Goonism

Quote:
If Murray trades Ryan to Philly, he really needs for Couturier to be the centerpiece of the return. they've got a surplus of centers, he's on an ELC, would step right in as their 2C or 3C behind Getzlaf. a Couturier/Etem/Palmieri youth line could be pretty interesting.

but mainly I just want him out of the Atlantic...

Old
06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Goal 7 View Post
If Murray trades Ryan to Philly, he really needs for Couturier to be the centerpiece of the return. they've got a surplus of centers, he's on an ELC, would step right in as their 2C or 3C behind Getzlaf. a Couturier/Etem/Palmieri youth line could be pretty interesting.

but mainly I just want him out of the Atlantic...
I hope he goes if they do manage to get Ryan.

Closed Thread