HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nikolai Kulemin talks could get testy

Old
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
I would like to keep Kulemin but I think in an effort to land a number one centre he will come up for sure. He is a good NHL forward, if he lands back to his form of two years ago he is an excellent forward.

People are already sending Bozak out the door. I'm not so sure about that. I could see a bunch of players be in the trade mix and the other team would pick and choose who they want.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Count Von Grabo*

4 years, 12 million sounds fair.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:40 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I would like to keep Kulemin but I think in an effort to land a number one centre he will come up for sure. He is a good NHL forward, if he lands back to his form of two years ago he is an excellent forward.

People are already sending Bozak out the door. I'm not so sure about that. I could see a bunch of players be in the trade mix and the other team would pick and choose who they want.
With Grabovski, Bozak, McClement, Steckel, Connolly and Lombardi all vying for four centre positions it would make sense to trade one of them opposed to a winger (Kulemin) with size, skill and a two-way game. Grabovski's performance and improvement in the faceoff circle over the last two years, combined with the big contract he signed secures him a spot as the line 2 centre; Burke clearly said McClement is slatted in to be the line 3 centre and Steckel is one of the best faceoff guys in the league so he will definitely get the call for line 4. That only leaves line 1 available and Connolly and Lombardi are too small, soft and weak at faceoffs to take that spot. Bozak is the best option we have but he does not naturally fit into that role. Bozak would be a great line 3 centre but we clearly don't need a line 3 centre. The Leafs are trying van Riemsdyk out at centre which I highly doubt would work but that would bump Bozak completely out of the picture. If JVR doesn't work the Leafs would likely have to go the trade route to land a centre. I would propose we go after Paul Stastny who was on the rumor mill last year and would fit in perfectly as a line 1 centre here. He is only 26, has pretty good size at 6'0 205lbs, is solid in the faceoff circle, is a natural playmaker with great vision and passing who still can get 20+ goals every year and add real depth to our PP. He is also American so you know Burke likes him The Avs could justify trading Stastny since his contract has 2 years left at 6.6/year and they have Duchene who could easily be their line 1 centre and has 2 years left at only 3.5/year and he is a RFA afterwards. Another reason the Avs could trade Stastny is he is becomes a UFA after his contract is up and there were reports he was unhappy with the trading of Stewart and Shattenkirk so there is a good chance he would leave anyways. If the Avs did trade Stastny they would surely need a centre back because they also lost McClement (to us) in free agency. Nobody wants Lombardi or Connolly for obvious reasons and Bozak is a young, solid two-way player with pretty good trade value who could be a great line 3 or good line 2 behind Duchene/(O'Rielly). Bozak, a round 2 pick and a good defensive prospect (Fraser or Blacker) for Stastny and a round 3 pick!

Last edited by LeafsAllDay: 07-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.
LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:41 PM
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
2/6 sounds better

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Larcos_Unal

kaberle = kulemin at forward

shoot the goddamned puck dummy

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

No chance Kulemin signs more than a 2 year contract after last season. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a very affordable 1 year term, basically a prove it contract.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:07 PM
LeafsAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner View Post
He will definitely get at least 3mil a season. I would be happy to give him 4mil a year for a multi year contract but it is obvious he had an off year so he will likely just sign a short term contract so that he can prove himself again and get a bigger deal in the future. How can you not love this guy, he brings so much to the ice. He forechecks hard, creates turnovers, makes room for his linemates, back checks and trys hard every shift. It is ridiculous when people look at point totals and try to say "this player only has this many points so he can only be worth this much much" Kulemin had an off year last year where his line did not click to start the season, he wasn't scoring goals then got demoted to line 3, taken off then PP then eventually got injured. He averaged 20 goals a year before last season and he has a really good wrist shot so there is no reason to believe he doesn't start hitting that number (20) with consistency again. If he played line 2 and the PP all of season last year his numbers would have been much better anyways, he was taken off the PP in like January. Some people were saying he should stay at line 3 because he is so good defensively but I think Macarthur should go down to line 3 and JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin should make up line 2. GO LEAFS GO!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Repping this jersey for over 2 years now

Last edited by LeafsAllDay: 07-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.
LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Avec Fromage

If this was any other team, Kulemin would get 2.25~ on a 2-year contract - and deservedly so. However, I believe he will receive somewhere between 2.75 and 3.75, as Loiselle always seems to slightly overpay our RFAs.

Avec Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote