HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz to Vancouver? UPD: MG, AV and Gilman in TOR to meet Schultz's camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
you would be pissed at schultz if he did the same thing to the canucks. admit it, we all would be
Why would I be pissed at Schultz? I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of legitimate rules to put them in better positions. I would be disappointed at losing him, but why be mad at him?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:19 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
you would be pissed at schultz if he did the same thing to the canucks. admit it, we all would be
No argument here from me. I am not a fan of what he did at all and don't like the rule. The Ducks got the short end of the stick here.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:25 AM
MS

Yeah, it's a stupid rule. Frankly I was shocked Schneider didn't take advantage of it in 2008 after we'd aquired Luongo.

In any case, yeah, put me down as disappointed if we don't get him. Would be a bit galling if he picks a joke loser franchise like Toronto or Edmonton over us. Hopefully he has the same sort of perspective that Hamhuis did, where knowing that playing for the best organization almost always leads to the best result for a good player.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, it's a stupid rule. Frankly I was shocked Schneider didn't take advantage of it in 2008 after we'd aquired Luongo.

In any case, yeah, put me down as disappointed if we don't get him. Would be a bit galling if he picks a joke loser franchise like Toronto or Edmonton over us. Hopefully he has the same sort of perspective that Hamhuis did, where knowing that playing for the best organization almost always leads to the best result for a good player.
The only thing EDm and TO can offer him that we can't is more ice time. He's a prospect here and gets prospect ice until he earns it. In EDM or TO he probably slots into their top 4 right away. As a player he probably looks at that as a bigger bonus.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
ahmon

Quote:

Just thinking for him here. But if i'm Schultz, it would be pretty exciting to join a young team like Edmonton with loads of talent. A team you can grow with, and have lots of opportunities as well.

I'm a canucks fan, but the oilers look very dangerous in the near future if they can upgrade their defense/goaltending.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:32 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Will be interesting to see where he lands. Lets just hope that this is settled soon like by July1 rather than dragging on and on.

Personally, I dont see how Edmonton can sell themselves as a team that's trying to improve with their 3 consecutive 1st overall picks.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Just thinking for him here. But if i'm Schultz, it would be pretty exciting to join a young team like Edmonton with loads of talent. A team you can grow with, and have lots of opportunities as well.

I'm a canucks fan, but the oilers look very dangerous in the near future if they can upgrade their defense/goaltending.
That organization is run by idiots. And play in Edmonton.

Until they get some management with the balls to trade one or two of their star young players for some quality veterans and defensive help, they'll just keep losing.

I'd be highly disappointed if Tambellini can do a better sell job on his franchise than Gillis.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Fa Ci La

is his dad a tory?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Hodgy

Quote:

Did Schneider not have to play one more year in College before he could become a UFA though? That is roughly 80K or whatever that he would have had to leave on the table to become a UFA.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Hodgy

Does it matter (as far as what Shultz can make) if he signs tomorrow or waits until July 1st?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:39 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Did Schneider not have to play one more year in College before he could become a UFA though? That is roughly 80K or whatever that he would have had to leave on the table to become a UFA.
Yeah, he would've had to finish out one more year in the NCAA.

If I was in his position, that's definitely what I would have done, though. Would have been a bidding war for his services and he would have been able to pick/choose which goaltending-thin team he'd sign for.

Would probably already have been an NHL starter for a couple years if he'd done that. Props to him that he didn't.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:40 AM
ahmon

Quote:
That organization is run by idiots. And play in Edmonton.

Until they get some management with the balls to trade one or two of their star young players for some quality veterans and defensive help, they'll just keep losing.

I'd be highly disappointed if Tambellini can do a better sell job on his franchise than Gillis.
Don't disagree with those 2 points. But at the end of the day, there's still a lot of young talent up front.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Does it matter (as far as what Shultz can make) if he signs tomorrow or waits until July 1st?
No. He just can't officially sign the contract until July 1st. Here's a tentative timeline from McKenzie as to how this process will go down:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Justin Schultz becomes UFA at midnight Sunday night. Blue-chip D prospect to meet with agent(s) in Toronto on Tuesday. Will field offers Wed

Old
06-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Play for your favourite team who is a legit contender, or go to a team that finished in the bottom 5. I think you guys are underselling the appeal of trying to win a cup now.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:53 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
I guess it would be:

Toronto-Good friends with Gardiner and I guess a spot opens up with Schenn leaving.

Edmonton-Young team, will get every opportunity for top minutes, and close to home.
Yes, Edmonton is close to home, but its also close to Edmonton!

Old
06-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Max Quackenbush

Why would he sign with Edmonton which does not even have a coach (Seriously) and the coach that is rumoured is Sutter who is an offense killing dragon. Why would he sign in Toronto that has no goalie and has a coach that is worse than Sutter in terms of allowing creativity? The Canucks have a spot available immediately as a top or second pairing RD. If he signs with the Canucks, he has the chance for immediate team success instead of years of being the best player on a crumby team. He will play catch with the Sedins on the powerplay for the next 5 years, the Canucks may actually win a Cup or two and it is mind boggling that there is any debate where a BC boy like him should sign.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:02 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
If he actually wants to become a good defenseman, he should sign with a team that is good at development.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:06 AM
TimmyTabasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Scary Fabian brunnstrom type hype surrounding this kid. Only time will tell if it's justified.
Agreed

I'd rather they target a proven defenseman

Old
06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Scary Fabian brunnstrom type hype surrounding this kid. Only time will tell if it's justified.
Brunstrum was hyped because he was a free prospect that wasn't even drafted.

This guy is a stud blue-chip prospect who was drafted high and everyone had high expectations for that suddenly became free.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Quackenbush View Post
Why would he sign with Edmonton which does not even have a coach (Seriously) and the coach that is rumoured is Sutter who is an offense killing dragon. Why would he sign in Toronto that has no goalie and has a coach that is worse than Sutter in terms of allowing creativity? The Canucks have a spot available immediately as a top or second pairing RD. If he signs with the Canucks, he has the chance for immediate team success instead of years of being the best player on a crumby team. He will play catch with the Sedins on the powerplay for the next 5 years, the Canucks may actually win a Cup or two and it is mind boggling that there is any debate where a BC boy like him should sign.
theres no good reason whatsoever he should choose edmonton over a dozen other teams with ****** defence but people keep vomitting the same idiot opinions of some terrible edmonton 'journalist' who made a bunch of **** up a couple months ago

Old
06-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
On the ice or in the bank account? Because seeing what the Oilers and Leafs paid mediocre defenceman like Gilbert and Schenn, I'd probably have big ol' dollar signs in my eyes if I was Schultz.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
If he actually wants to become a good defenseman, he should sign with a team that is good at development.
If he already thinks he's good enough then he'll go where he gets to play the most.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:21 AM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I honestly think our biggest competition will be teams like NYR and Philly...potentially Pittsburgh. I could see Toronto because it is the Leafs and there is the ex-teammate connection, but I cannot for the life of me imagine a rookie free agent going to Edmonton when he has the choice of every team in the league. Not only is it one of the less appealing places to play, they don't even have a coach at the moment.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:21 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonLesPaul View Post
He will sign with TO, he is team mates with Jake Gardiner. This is why he is in TO now and the Leafs have just unloaded Schenn.
That sounds more like an EpiphoneLesPaul opinion to me.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:16 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I honestly think our biggest competition will be teams like NYR and Philly...potentially Pittsburgh. I could see Toronto because it is the Leafs and there is the ex-teammate connection, but I cannot for the life of me imagine a rookie free agent going to Edmonton when he has the choice of every team in the league. Not only is it one of the less appealing places to play, they don't even have a coach at the moment.
He wont go to a team in the states. I'm willing to bet money on that.

Closed Thread