HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was the JVR - Schenn deal strictly a hockey trade?

Old
06-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Antropovsky

vCash: 500
He has proven alot more than the #3 in the same draft, Kyle Turris had at the time Turris was traded to Ottawa. Which cost Ottawa Top prospect David Rundbland + a 2nd Rnd pick, at a time where most thought the Senators would be in the bottom half of the league.

Quote:
Rundblad, a first-round pick by St. Louis in 2009, has a goal and three assists in 24 games for Ottawa this season. He had 50 points in 55 games with Skelleftea HC of the Swedish Elite League last year — the second-highest point total by a defenceman in SEL history.
IMO Burke's deal is a much more impressive deal, when you consider what was paid for a incredibly underachieving Turris.

Also, I don't think this trade was Holmgren dumping a failed prospect, they're many factors that I consider before the one you just mentioned. 1) Homer drinking the brother kool-aid, 2) Homer drinking the Flyer "broad street bullies" kool-aid 3) Homer dealing from a position of depth, for a position of weakness 3) Homer, being trigger happy holmgren.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:25 AM
forsberg

The Leafs are the only team since the lockout that haven't made the playoffs.

Saying we are second-rate is a huge compliment.

forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:26 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks finding a power forward like JVR is a lot harder to find then a defensive defenseman like Luke Schenn? Come on people.
I've read several comments on these boards about JVR being a "Power forward" or "Rich Nash" lite...anytime people ever used "Power Forward" in the same sentence as JVR on the Flyer board...they'd be verbally abused.

JVR is a fast, big bodied, talented forward...but he doesn't play like a Power Forward whatsoever. When he is on his A-Game he does use his big frame to shield others from the puck (same as Carter did from time to time), though mostly I saw this in his great playoff series. I'm not saying this to put anyone down etc, I just hope you don't have expectations that he will most likely not fill.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:44 AM
forsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I've read several comments on these boards about JVR being a "Power forward" or "Rich Nash" lite...anytime people ever used "Power Forward" in the same sentence as JVR on the Flyer board...they'd be verbally abused.

JVR is a fast, big bodied, talented forward...but he doesn't play like a Power Forward whatsoever. When he is on his A-Game he does use his big frame to shield others from the puck (same as Carter did from time to time), though mostly I saw this in his great playoff series. I'm not saying this to put anyone down etc, I just hope you don't have expectations that he will most likely not fill.
So JVR = Antropov?

forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg View Post
So JVR = Antropov?
If you made JvR play with his skate guards on then they would be identical......

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:38 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
This refers to the JVR-Schenn deal, but deals with what it says about the Leafs in the grand scheme of things. Be nice if the mods didn't merge it, different discussion, IMO.

1) Okay, the JVR-Schenn deal. Sure, you can make the argument that it is a good hockey trade. I'll buy that, seems like a fair exchange in value, as Schenn hasn't progressed as expected and JVR has potentially serious injury issues (otherwise, I doubt Philly makes this trade). JVR has promise, and I was never very high on Schenn.

2) But here's what really bugs me. Burke is talking about this deal as a big piece of the puzzle, a solid addition to the top six that will make the Leafs a lot better right away. But Homer in Philly clearly made this trade in large part to dump what he deems as a somewhat failed prospect and clear the way for a superior replacement to JVR in (likely) Bobby Ryan.

3) Does this bother anybody else? I agree that JVR still has potential, but it really seems like the Leafs are yet again making do with somebody else's scraps, another sorta reclamation project that another club gave up on. And worse yet, raving about how they've made this amazing pick-up, when in reality JVR is a HUGE question mark coming off injuries and some questions about his commitment. While the Flyers shoot for the moon and go after the top forwards available like a Bobby Ryan, the Leafs just take what they can get.

4) I'm sort of happy with this trade, as I've never been fond of Schenn. But there is something there that bothers me, like the Leafs are taking the back seat to clubs like the Flyers and Kings. They're being bold, making big moves, and leveraging their talent pool to make significant deals to overhaul their clubs. Burke, though, settles for risky rejects, then tries to sell them to the fanbase as future stars.

5)Anyhow, this just stuck out to me after reading all the coverage of the trade. With the Leafs, getting JVR is the end goal. With the Flyers, getting rid of JVR is a way to clear room for an upgrade and bring in a young bottom pairing D-man. Big difference in the approaches of the two teams.
Seems like an exercise in provocation for the sake provocation, but I'll oblige...

1) There's not a single pundit that characterizes the deal as anything but a good hockey deal and where there is a tilt in value, its unanimously in Burke's favour...yet again. Who repeated Toronto's stringent investigation that confirmed JVR's "potentially serious injury issues," as null and void.

I'd rather have a former number 2 overall powerforward's unrealized potential filtered through a lens of possible caution, then a number 5 defensive defenceman who performed poorly as a norm while remarkably healthy.

2) In an audit of the club, how many forwards would you insert ahead of JVR? Wouldnt you classify a 24 year old former number 2 pick who showed dominance in a playoffs on a loaded team at least, as a solid addition? And for what...Luke Schenn? That reads to me like a move that makes the club better, right away.

You stating that Paul Holmgren clearly made a deal to acquire Bobby Ryan (a Burke draft pick) is purely speculative. What's not, is that there seems to be consensus from Flyers fans, that like Richards and like Carter, Holmgren has undermined the club yet again, by a compromised, sell-low deal.

3) Given the relationship between Anaheim and Brian Burke, and that he drafted and helped guide the development of Bobby Ryan, my instinct says, despite a strained relationship with Randy Carlyle, that the first person in line to acquire Bobby Ryan,is the guy that had the good sense to go against consensus and draft him at 2.

You speak about JVR like he's consistently underperformed with an unobstructed path. Didn't he go the first 20 games of last season with 16 points? And that subsequent games were endured with injury? That's not an incidental element to omit. Injury free, JVR looked as dominant as any player on the Flyers save Giroux.

Call me impetuous, but you roll that dice and risk an off the rush challenged defenceman whose speed of thought reminds most of his speed of foot- negligible.

4) If you aren't purposely employing an exercise of extreme provocation, in using the JVR/Schenn trade as an example of Burke's ineptitude, waxing hypothetical that the prospect Burke drafted would be a clear target of another GM before Burke, and then...THEN...citing the Flyers and Kings as a collective example of what Burke should be doing, while excluding the reality, that the Flyers management, essentially handed the Kings the Cup...is beyond my ability to tolerate for the sake of civility.

5) I sense it stuck out to you because you've got conclusions that require fit by all means facts.

JVR for L.Schenn is highway robbery. Coming out of the Draft, one might argue, Toronto came away in the Top 5 acquisitions-wise. How that conveys second rate to you is confounding to me.

In all honesty, are you posting this to be purposely antagonistic or is this really what you actually arrived at following the attention and information post-trade?

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:02 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
No, the fact that we haven't made the playoffs since before the lockout and finished in the bottom five this year proves we're second-rate.
this quote is true ......but its not so much a second rate team as a team with a second rate GM trying to dig himself out of a hole ,we dont get top flight free agents coming here ,and any way u slice it ,they can see the same imediate future as we can .and a team right now as we speak .....weak in goal .weak upfront,and having to trade prospects to get any help in those areas.....lets see if we can land a top name in the next few weeks ,my guess everything that comes here in second tier free agent or a 34 year old goalie that a team deems expendable ......

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
The leafs have been a 2nd rate franchise for over 10 yrs or around the time stavros had money issues n then later sold the team to the teachers fund.

Just look at all the 2nd
rate UFA signings that
we have made over that
period of time

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Platapie

Quote:
Anyhow, this just stuck out to me after reading all the coverage of the trade. With the Leafs, getting JVR is the end goal. With the Flyers, getting rid of JVR is a way to clear room for an upgrade and bring in a young bottom pairing D-man. Big difference in the approaches of the two teams.
Not true at all. JVR has elite talent (has yet to express it consistently, but the talent is there). So does Schenn. You do not trade either piece as a cap saving move/upgrade. Schenn will be expected to develop and play in the top 2 in Philli, or, worst case scenario, 2nd pairing. JVR has the talent to easily be a top line forward, worst case 2nd pairing.

Make no mistake, this trade can blow up in both team's faces, or one or the other. IMO Burke's biggest strength is his ability to buy low, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here-- he's added a tremendous amount of value to the team via trading, lets hope this is another one. Your entire premise is flawed though-- Philli is not doing this as a way to clear space, they expect big things from Schenn.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:47 AM
birddog*

Quote:
This refers to the JVR-Schenn deal, but deals with what it says about the Leafs in the grand scheme of things. Be nice if the mods didn't merge it, different discussion, IMO.

Okay, the JVR-Schenn deal. Sure, you can make the argument that it is a good hockey trade. I'll buy that, seems like a fair exchange in value, as Schenn hasn't progressed as expected and JVR has potentially serious injury issues (otherwise, I doubt Philly makes this trade). JVR has promise, and I was never very high on Schenn.

But here's what really bugs me. Burke is talking about this deal as a big piece of the puzzle, a solid addition to the top six that will make the Leafs a lot better right away. But Homer in Philly clearly made this trade in large part to dump what he deems as a somewhat failed prospect and clear the way for a superior replacement to JVR in (likely) Bobby Ryan.

Does this bother anybody else? I agree that JVR still has potential, but it really seems like the Leafs are yet again making do with somebody else's scraps, another sorta reclamation project that another club gave up on. And worse yet, raving about how they've made this amazing pick-up, when in reality JVR is a HUGE question mark coming off injuries and some questions about his commitment. While the Flyers shoot for the moon and go after the top forwards available like a Bobby Ryan, the Leafs just take what they can get.

I'm sort of happy with this trade, as I've never been fond of Schenn. But there is something there that bothers me, like the Leafs are taking the back seat to clubs like the Flyers and Kings. They're being bold, making big moves, and leveraging their talent pool to make significant deals to overhaul their clubs. Burke, though, settles for risky rejects, then tries to sell them to the fanbase as future stars.

Anyhow, this just stuck out to me after reading all the coverage of the trade. With the Leafs, getting JVR is the end goal. With the Flyers, getting rid of JVR is a way to clear room for an upgrade and bring in a young bottom pairing D-man. Big difference in the approaches of the two teams.
Not sure if serious. JVR was born in the same year as Schenn. He's 6 months older. If JVR is finished -- then Schenn is to by that definition. You need to chill dude. JVR has shown he can play in this league. Why not relax and see how it pans out rather than get all worked out over possibilities.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:08 AM
JackJ

JVR is an excellent piece to the overall puzzle but we need to add a few more like him to make a signifcant difference.

Nash.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:21 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
JVR is an excellent piece to the overall puzzle but we need to add a few more like him to make a signifcant difference.

Nash.
nash for kessel ....cause carlyle is just gonna love his forecheck ......ummm big swirl turn

hullsy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:23 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I wouldn't call call JVR a great cycler because he doesn't grind. He does use his body to shield the puck and keep possession. And he uses his speed to create rush scoring chances.

And when I say minor upgrade, I mean despite his size he doesn't grind and hit and is more like Macarthur this way than say what the leafs need in a power forward. Now JVR is a great scoring talent (something we have lots of) and potentially and elite forward but his lack of physicallity is something we also have lots of.
That fact that he can cycle is a huge upgrade though. Kulemin was really the only other player good at shielding the puck in the offensive zone who was close to a top 6 player in our lineup and Frattin could potentially add this to his game but I still see him as a north-south bull in a china shop type winger who can drive the net but probably doesn't have the vision to be more than a 3rd liner. Nobody is going to confuse JVR with Perry/Getzlaf or the Sedins with his cycling ability anytime soon though.

Having JVR as a player who is strong on the puck along the boards will also help our D game a lot. The Leafs are one of the worst teams for turning the puck over just inside our blueline cause our wingers get knocked off the puck far too often. This area is a big weakness of CMac.

Toronto needed a talent upgrade specifically to push Connolly, CMac and Bozak down the depth chart (all among our top 6 TOI forwards and also all UFAs this season). JVR helps with this but the Leafs still need at least one more upgrade, preferably a center.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 06-25-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
mikedifr

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...rapup/45/45178

I am sure a lot of you read hockey buzz, the flyers writer is great. He breaks down the trade here. We all have our opinions on both players, I agree with some of his and not with some, but I want you guys to specifically see the numbers JVR was starting to put up before getting hurt. That is pretty quick as bigger forwards usually take sometime, for example it took Hartnell 8 years to put up those kind of numbers.

Only thing to worry about with JVR is his health. This was the only season he had injuries so hopefully it was just one of those bad luck seasons, but the question mark is there. His talent and production is not in question in my opinion.

Besides, let's look at the last few guys we traded....gagne to tb and they go to conference finals.....Richards to la, where carter and gagne end up as well and they win a cup. Flyers like to give away championships

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Longshot

I think everybody's definition of "second rate" would be different. It's hard to really quantify that kind of label.

However, you're right about the trade. In reality this trade is one failed high draft pick for another failed high draft pick. Nether player really developed the way their the team that drafted them expected them to.

Schenn was struck with horrible coach in Wilson, was rushed to the NHL when he should have been left in junior and then was signed to a massive contract.

JVR was a second overall pick, but at this point doesn't seem much more than a third line forward. I've seen some predictions on this board that in Toronto he is going to be a 75-80 point forward. I think those comments are wildly optimistic considering he's a player that has never scored more than 40 points in a season.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I think everybody's definition of "second rate" would be different. It's hard to really quantify that kind of label.

However, you're right about the trade. In reality this trade is one failed high draft pick for another failed high draft pick. Nether player really developed the way their the team that drafted them expected them to.

Schenn was struck with horrible coach in Wilson, was rushed to the NHL when he should have been left in junior and then was signed to a massive contract.

JVR was a second overall pick, but at this point doesn't seem much more than a third line forward. I've seen some predictions on this board that in Toronto he is going to be a 75-80 point forward. I think those comments are wildly optimistic considering he's a player that has never scored more than 40 points in a season.
You might want to read the article I posted before you claim JVR failed.....anyone who says that hasn't watched the flyers. He got hurt this year, that is all there is to it.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks finding a power forward like JVR is a lot harder to find then a defensive defenseman like Luke Schenn? Come on people.
So wonder how they like Pronger's +35 contract?

Schenn, 3.6 million for a 3rd. pairing defender. How much was Jeff Finger making? I know you have to overpay for UFA's, not so much for RFA's.

It was a hockey trade, not sure this is anything more than Leafs bashing. Maybe you just wanted to start a bash thread or you didn't think the title through?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...rapup/45/45178

I am sure a lot of you read hockey buzz, the flyers writer is great. He breaks down the trade here. We all have our opinions on both players, I agree with some of his and not with some, but I want you guys to specifically see the numbers JVR was starting to put up before getting hurt. That is pretty quick as bigger forwards usually take sometime, for example it took Hartnell 8 years to put up those kind of numbers.

Only thing to worry about with JVR is his health. This was the only season he had injuries so hopefully it was just one of those bad luck seasons, but the question mark is there. His talent and production is not in question in my opinion.

Besides, let's look at the last few guys we traded....gagne to tb and they go to conference finals.....Richards to la, where carter and gagne end up as well and they win a cup. Flyers like to give away championships
Flyers also aren't far removed themselves from going to the finals.

This past season, they made it to the 2nd round losing to the Eastern team that made it to the finals. Show me a team that could loss their best Dman in Pronger than another 20+ minute Dman in Meszaros and also have injuries to so many guys who played in the playoffs (i.e. Giroux-wrist surgery) and expect to realistically win the cup.

To put it in perspective imagine LA lost Doughty and Scuderi to injury before the playoffs even started and Kopitar was playing well below his capabilities cause of an injury. Not a chance the Kings win the cup if those things happened.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
He has proven alot more than the #3 in the same draft, Kyle Turris had at the time Turris was traded to Ottawa. Which cost Ottawa Top prospect David Rundbland + a 2nd Rnd pick, at a time where most thought the Senators would be in the bottom half of the league.

IMO Burke's deal is a much more impressive deal, when you consider what was paid for a incredibly underachieving Turris.

Also, I don't think this trade was Holmgren dumping a failed prospect, they're many factors that I consider before the one you just mentioned. 1) Homer drinking the brother kool-aid, 2) Homer drinking the Flyer "broad street bullies" kool-aid 3) Homer dealing from a position of depth, for a position of weakness 3) Homer, being trigger happy holmgren.
You forgot homer being an impatient moron that can't let his team grow together

Old
06-25-2012, 09:14 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

This past season, they made it to the 2nd round losing to the Eastern team that made it to the finals. Show me a team that could loss their best Dman in Pronger than another 20+ minute Dman in Meszaros and also have injuries to so many guys who played in the playoffs (i.e. Giroux-wrist surgery) and expect to realistically win the cup.

To put it in perspective imagine LA lost Doughty and Scuderi to injury before the playoffs even started and Kopitar was playing well below his capabilities cause of an injury. Not a chance the Kings win the cup if those things happened.
I am not questioning that, I am a flyers fan, I know quite well what has gone on there....havent missed a game in 20 years!

Did you miss the

Old
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

During the Babcock interview on the weekend he talked about their injuries and their Cups and how injuries have played a part.

I don't think it would be unfair to paraphrase what he said as, injuries are a part of the game and if you are lucky enough to stay healthy it makes a huge difference.

With regards to the Leafs, if Reimer doesn't get concussed, if Lupul, Connolly, Liles and Kulemin stay healthy, Wilson gets fired sooner ...sorry got carried away ... anyway it was not quite as bad as the Leafs after the lock-out being near the top of the injury list, but they were key players.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
No, the fact that we haven't made the playoffs since before the lockout and finished in the bottom five this year proves we're second-rate.
Pretty much this.

Just to add:

Ridding of a slumping Schenn (who's upside seems to be "Average Dewd") is enough of an immediate impact for the team. Moving him opens the position for better players. Holzer comes to mind, a potential free agent, or even Dion (who I believe should play the 3 spot).

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 AM
MattVenca

Cap thing? $3.6M x 4 Schenn vs $4.25M x 6 JVR. In the next two years they have Giroux, Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, Couturier all coming up as RFAs.

JVR just turned 23, was a 2nd overall pick, his points-per-game has increased every season. He's a big bodied power forward. And the stats below of comparable players are exactly why I think he is primed for a major jump next season:

James Neal's ppg went from 0.57 to 1.01 at age 24. Patrick Sharp's went from 0.44 to 0.78 at age 25. Blake Wheeler's went from 0.54 to 0.80 at age 25. Shane Doan's went from 0.63 to 0.83 at age 24. Dustin Brown's went from 0.57 to 0.77 at age 24. Erik Cole's went from 0.53 to 0.98 in his 4th NHL season.

MattVenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Prophet Kadri

Holmgren would be very misguided in only trading for schenn to obtain an asset to be flipped. He doesn't trade for Schenn if he doesn't think he's a good player, otherwise he's counting his chickens before they hatch in expecting to trade for Bobby Ryan.

Prophet Kadri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Budsfan

This was plain and simple a hockey trade, one that both teams made to shore up different parts of their teams, there is no conspiracy here, I think we may have gotten the better player in the deal but that remains to be seen, why don't people believe Burke, when he says we needed to get bigger in the top 6 and that is why he made this deal happen.

I wondered why the Flyers traded JVR after having rejected Burke's offer for so long but they may be going after Bobby Ryan and this deal may help them doing that and also they do need a defenceman.

We can cast dispersion on this player(Schenn) or that player(Van Riemsdyk) but in the end, it's a hockey deal that benefits both teams.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote