HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was the JVR - Schenn deal strictly a hockey trade?

Old
06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
I think at the very worst, Schenn is out of the league in a few years with his awful play, and at best, a steady Jason Smith type reliable defenseman, but ultimately nothing too special or irreplaceable.

JVR at worst is a Dustin Penner whipping boy who doesn't use his size and is unproductive offensively, and at best, is probably a Rick Nash type power forward on a great long term deal.

It's a hockey trade and we have the upper hand in potential.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
darrylsittler27

If Schenn tanked again...

We would have been stuck with a useless asset.The Leafs may have had concerns about Schenn in the new NHL(mobility).It might have been best to trade him now as something salvageable than waiting till his weaknesses get exposed.I dont think there was a huge market for Schenn.Also JVR may have been brought in to replace Kulemin.I dont have a problem with the trade, JVR may only play 60 games a year but Schenn may not have the mobility needed to ever be more than a number 5 to 6 dman.Even exchange,even risk for both teams.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
gabeliscious

i dont understand how someone can make the argument that because burke got jvr instead of parise/nash/ ryan the leafs are second rate.

after kessel, jvr is our most promising winger. lupul imo has shown brilliance his whole career. his numbers are compromised by his health, much like jvr. as we all saw last season, when lupul is healthy he can be a ppg winger. i dont see why jvr cant be that as well. ppg is a lofty goal but i think 50-60 point winger is totally achievable next season. in toronto jvr will be a go to guy. he will get top 6 minutes and pp time. he is also VERY young. jvr also costs almost 1/2 as what parise/ nash cost and will likely put up similar numbers.

jvr is a great addition to the leafs and we didnt need to mortgage our future or our salary cap to get him here. its tough and sad to lose schenn but i think with the amount of defenseman that burke stock piled, schenn became a casualty of war.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post

jvr is a great addition to the leafs and we didnt need to mortgage our future or our salary cap to get him here. its tough and sad to lose schenn but i think with the amount of defenseman that burke stock piled, schenn became a casualty of war.
If we get Schultz, I fully expect that maybe one of Schultz, Gardiner or Rielly could eventually be moved out for a Seguin/Duchene level young center in the future.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Leaf4Life

What is this "elite talent" some people believe Schenn possesses?

Skating? Nope
Puckhandling? Nope
Shooting? Nope
Passing? Nope
Hockey sense? Nope
Fighting? Nope

The only thing he does really well is shot blocking but at the expense of screening his own goalie or always dropping down to one knee at the worst possible time.

Schenn's a bust. We won this trade by a mile.

Leaf4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf4Life View Post
What is this "elite talent" some people believe Schenn possesses?

Skating? Nope
Puckhandling? Nope
Shooting? Nope
Passing? Nope
Hockey sense? Nope
Fighting? Nope

The only thing he does really well is shot blocking but at the expense of screening his own goalie or always dropping down to one knee at the worst possible time.

Schenn's a bust. We won this trade by a mile.
Any dissection of Schenn's actual skills is met with "elite shutdown potential" with the ability of an Adam Foote with no regard to actual skills. When they talk about his skating, they say it can "improve". Well maybe, but if all these fundamental skills were so easy to improve, could they not transform Nikolai Kulemin into Ilya Kovalchuk with enough practice? Makes no sense and I'm happy to have gotten JVR.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:19 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Any dissection of Schenn's actual skills is met with "elite shutdown potential" with the ability of an Adam Foote with no regard to actual skills. When they talk about his skating, they say it can "improve". Well maybe, but if all these fundamental skills were so easy to improve, could they not transform Nikolai Kulemin into Ilya Kovalchuk with enough practice? Makes no sense and I'm happy to have gotten JVR.
Ditto.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:27 AM
xyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToAllButMetal View Post
This refers to the JVR-Schenn deal, but deals with what it says about the Leafs in the grand scheme of things. Be nice if the mods didn't merge it, different discussion, IMO.

Okay, the JVR-Schenn deal. Sure, you can make the argument that it is a good hockey trade. I'll buy that, seems like a fair exchange in value, as Schenn hasn't progressed as expected and JVR has potentially serious injury issues (otherwise, I doubt Philly makes this trade). JVR has promise, and I was never very high on Schenn.

But here's what really bugs me. Burke is talking about this deal as a big piece of the puzzle, a solid addition to the top six that will make the Leafs a lot better right away. But Homer in Philly clearly made this trade in large part to dump what he deems as a somewhat failed prospect and clear the way for a superior replacement to JVR in (likely) Bobby Ryan.

Does this bother anybody else? I agree that JVR still has potential, but it really seems like the Leafs are yet again making do with somebody else's scraps, another sorta reclamation project that another club gave up on. And worse yet, raving about how they've made this amazing pick-up, when in reality JVR is a HUGE question mark coming off injuries and some questions about his commitment. While the Flyers shoot for the moon and go after the top forwards available like a Bobby Ryan, the Leafs just take what they can get.

I'm sort of happy with this trade, as I've never been fond of Schenn. But there is something there that bothers me, like the Leafs are taking the back seat to clubs like the Flyers and Kings. They're being bold, making big moves, and leveraging their talent pool to make significant deals to overhaul their clubs. Burke, though, settles for risky rejects, then tries to sell them to the fanbase as future stars.

Anyhow, this just stuck out to me after reading all the coverage of the trade. With the Leafs, getting JVR is the end goal. With the Flyers, getting rid of JVR is a way to clear room for an upgrade and bring in a young bottom pairing D-man. Big difference in the approaches of the two teams.
Its simple - you get what you pay for. You dont get a Bobby Ryan for a Luke Schenn. Philly has depth and can trade very valuable players without their team falling apart.... We can't.

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote