HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is 2013-14 the year the Sabres need to target as best chance for a Cup?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2012, 12:15 PM
  #1
Prospector74
Registered User
 
Prospector74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hollywood, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 537
vCash: 500
Is 2013-14 the year the Sabres need to target as best chance for a Cup?

We are looking good WRT expiring contracts for critical players for this year and for 2013-14 but after that season the following are UFA's:

Miller
Vanek
Pominville

Ott
McCormick

and RFA's after that season:

Foligno
Gerbe
McNabb

Anyone think we will have trouble resigning any of the bolded players for fair market value (in order to fit everything under the cap) or do we lose key pieces of the team after the 2013-14 season?

Still having horrible flashbacks to the Hasek, Peca, Briere, Drury, Satan days where we were unabe to keep key pieces from walking out the door and wondering (even with a great owner to bankroll us) if things haven't changed that much WRT where players want to go when they get a chance.

Edit: started thinking of this in relation to the Doan offer and what was the smart thing to do WRT contract length/value there. Could see it going a couple of ways and feeling really depends on can we retain our stars when they hit UFA or is 2013-14 best shot.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:19 PM
  #2
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
We are looking good WRT expiring contracts for critical players for this year and for 2013-14 but after that season the following are UFA's:

Miller
Vanek
Pominville

Ott
McCormick

and RFA's after that season:

Foligno
Gerbe
McNabb

Anyone think we will have trouble resigning any of the bolded players for fair market value (in order to fit everything under the cap) or do we lose key pieces of the team after the 2013-14 season?

Still having horrible flashbacks to the Hasek, Peca, Briere, Drury, Satan days where we were unabe to keep key pieces from walking out the door and wondering (even with a great owner to bankroll us) if things haven't changed that much WRT where players want to go when they get a chance.
I don't see any issues re-signing them with Pegula as owner.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:37 PM
  #3
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
No we should have a large window but that'll be a good year

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:39 PM
  #4
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't see any issues re-signing them with Pegula as owner.
My only concern would be that they're all going to be 30+ by the time their contracts are up. It's a weird time for another contract. They're going to want a decent term, but giving guys who are 30 more than 5 year contracts can be risky.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:44 PM
  #5
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,548
vCash: 500
Pfft, I don't care about fair market value for Foligno do whatever it takes to get that kid signed. I bet he'll take a hometown discount though.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:52 PM
  #6
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Pfft, I don't care about fair market value for Foligno do whatever it takes to get that kid signed. I bet he'll take a hometown discount though.
I think the "hometown discount" card is a dying mindset. Very very few players really do that these days.

I could be wrong, but say the Wild offered Parise 13 years, 80 mil. Would he have taken it? What about Suter?

What do players consider the hometown? Where they were born? Where they were raised? Where they played college hockey? Where the majority of their family is?

I think it varies from player to player, but the "hometown discount" isn't as important anymore. Again, I could be wrong. It's just the way I see it these days.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:13 PM
  #7
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I think the "hometown discount" card is a dying mindset. Very very few players really do that these days.

I could be wrong, but say the Wild offered Parise 13 years, 80 mil. Would he have taken it? What about Suter?

What do players consider the hometown? Where they were born? Where they were raised? Where they played college hockey? Where the majority of their family is?

I think it varies from player to player, but the "hometown discount" isn't as important anymore. Again, I could be wrong. It's just the way I see it these days.
Parise did take less than the Wild's initial offer to him actually. I think he negotiated with them to get less while giving Suter more so both wound up with the same contract. Also, wrt Foligno, it will only be his second contract, so it's reasonable to think we could sign him for a few years fairly cheap, and have him still be an RFA for the next round of negotiations.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:47 PM
  #8
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
I agree, that should be the year. Great blend of old core in their prime and youngsters on ELC contracts (see: JJ's thread from years ago I recently bumped)

Husko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:45 PM
  #9
SirRocko
Registered User
 
SirRocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
That could be a very fun year indeed. Some combinations of...

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommers
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Girgenson-Grigorenko-Armia
Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta

That's a pretty scary team. And that's not even acknowledging the young defense that should be featuring Myers/Ehrhoff/Sekera/Pysyk/McNabb.

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:26 AM
  #10
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,265
vCash: 500
I dont see Miller being back, but after that, i dont see problems

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:39 AM
  #11
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,366
vCash: 500
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen


Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:53 AM
  #12
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen

You don't think we resign any of Vanek/Pominville/Miller?

Husko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:02 AM
  #13
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
I dont see Miller being back, but after that, i dont see problems
Why? Do you see another goaltender in this system who'll be prepared for an NHL starter's role within two years? I don't. After several years of inconsistent play at each professional level, I don't think the organization is all that high on Enroth, at least as far as being an NHL starter. Add to that a woeful UFA crop of goaltenders in summer 2014--Lundqvist is not leaving NYC, and the best options after him are Kipper (will be 37 and far less consistent than Miller), Hiller (will probably want a raise to the point there wouldn't be much cost savings from Miller), and Halak (ditto). The only way I see Miller going is if someone offers a hot shot goaltending prospect on the cusp of NHL duty (plus other assets) in exchange for Miller. I don't think he'd ever ask out.

While Miller has grown more jaded to Buffalo over the years--particularly with the local media--I get the sense that the Pegulas very much like him and the feeling is mutual. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sign something like a three-year deal for similar money

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
  #14
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why? Do you see another goaltender in this system who'll be prepared for an NHL starter's role within two years? I don't. After several years of inconsistent play at each professional level, I don't think the organization is all that high on Enroth, at least as far as being an NHL starter. Add to that a woeful UFA crop of goaltenders in summer 2014--Lundqvist is not leaving NYC, and the best options after him are Kipper (will be 37 and far less consistent than Miller), Hiller (will probably want a raise to the point there wouldn't be much cost savings from Miller), and Halak (ditto). The only way I see Miller going is if someone offers a hot shot goaltending prospect on the cusp of NHL duty (plus other assets) in exchange for Miller. I don't think he'd ever ask out.

While Miller has grown more jaded to Buffalo over the years--particularly with the local media--I get the sense that the Pegulas very much like him and the feeling is mutual. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sign something like a three-year deal for similar money
Ryan Miller will be 34 yrs old and have close to 600 games of wear on his body... I'm ok with re-signing him short term to Jose Theodore/Tomas Vokoun money and being clear that someone is going to get a large share games behind him to begin grooming his replacement... but im not sure his ego could handle that.

He should not be given another "franchise goalie" contract...

Also, there are a LOT of quality goaltenders available in 2013.

I'd give Al Montoya a nice 3 yr contract. He can split with Miller for a year, and then take over.

Greiss is another interesting target, along with

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  #15
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen

That's actually a pretty sexy lineup, projecting out, obviously. I just want to put Dixon Ward on the 3rd line....

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
  #16
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen

I like the looks of that..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
  #17
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen


Between the guys who get traded, don't make the NHL, turn out to be decent third liners and nothing more, can't play under pressure or don't work hard enough to be gamebreakers, I say the over/under on how much of that lineup actually exists in 5 years is around 20%.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:48 PM
  #18
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why? Do you see another goaltender in this system who'll be prepared for an NHL starter's role within two years? I don't. After several years of inconsistent play at each professional level, I don't think the organization is all that high on Enroth, at least as far as being an NHL starter. Add to that a woeful UFA crop of goaltenders in summer 2014--Lundqvist is not leaving NYC, and the best options after him are Kipper (will be 37 and far less consistent than Miller), Hiller (will probably want a raise to the point there wouldn't be much cost savings from Miller), and Halak (ditto). The only way I see Miller going is if someone offers a hot shot goaltending prospect on the cusp of NHL duty (plus other assets) in exchange for Miller. I don't think he'd ever ask out.

While Miller has grown more jaded to Buffalo over the years--particularly with the local media--I get the sense that the Pegulas very much like him and the feeling is mutual. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him sign something like a three-year deal for similar money
Just my opinion, but I think Enroth will be ready enough to be a starter in 2 yrs with a vet backing up until Linus Ullmark is ready in 3-4 yrs

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
  #19
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen

put in cattenacci for 3rd/4th line duty and then idk who goes in one of the other unknown slots

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
  #20
Mike203
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Amherst NY
Country: United States
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Went to capgeek and made out what I think will be lineup in 13-14. I've got Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons & Pysyk making the team. Resigning UFA Regehr for $4M and Sulzer $0.950M. Resigning RFA's Hodgson, Ennis, Kaleta, Weber & Enroth. I put Girgensons as 4th line center but would like him to get additional minutes. If we need more cap money, trade Leino or put him in Rochester. Any thoughts?


FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Cody Hodgson ($2.225m) / Joel Armia ($1.275m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($2.225m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.775m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($1.625m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.200m)
Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Ville Leino ($4.500m) / John Scott ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.870m)
Alexander Sulzer ($0.950m) / Mike Weber ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,362,857; BONUSES: $2,220,000
CAP SPACE (26-man roster): $3,837,143

I made 1 mistake... I have Enroth in twice... subtract $0.675 from salary cap.


Last edited by Mike203: 07-23-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Mistake
Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
  #21
Tra La La
Registered User
 
Tra La La's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
Went to capgeek and made out what I think will be lineup in 13-14. I've got Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons & Pysyk making the team. Resigning UFA Regehr for $4M and Sulzer $0.950M. Resigning RFA's Hodgson, Ennis, Kaleta, Weber & Enroth. I put Girgensons as 4th line center but would like him to get additional minutes. If we need more cap money, trade Leino or put him in Rochester. Any thoughts?


FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Cody Hodgson ($2.225m) / Joel Armia ($1.275m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($2.225m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($1.775m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m) / Zemgus Girgensons ($1.625m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.200m)
Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Ville Leino ($4.500m) / John Scott ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Brayden McNabb ($0.900m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.870m)
Alexander Sulzer ($0.950m) / Mike Weber ($1.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,362,857; BONUSES: $2,220,000
CAP SPACE (26-man roster): $3,837,143
Just an enormous amount of talent and skill in that lineup.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:30 PM
  #22
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,222
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
put in cattenacci for 3rd/4th line duty and then idk who goes in one of the other unknown slots
Agreed although i dont think adam will ever be a first liner.

I imagine we can start to be a playoff challenger in 13 14 but like Jame says, it would take more time to be a cup contender.

My lineup 2016-2017
Grigorenko-Hodgson-pominville
Foligno-ennis-Armia
Ott-girgensons-Erne
Catenacci-kea-tropp

Mcnabb-Myers
McCabe-Ehrhoff
Defensive FA-Pysyk
GL, Mackenzie

Ullmark
Veteran backup

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:39 PM
  #23
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Just an enormous amount of talent and skill in that lineup.
A lot of young unproven talent. It looks good if you are imagining them peaking out but if you think of them as 40 pt rookies, which is pretty high for rookies it's not very good.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
  #24
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
it's more like 2016-2017

something like

Adam-Grigorenko-Armia
Foligno-Hodgson-Ennis
XXXX-Girgenson-Tropp
Kea-Sundher-XXXX

McNabb-Myers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
McCabe-Leduc

Ullmark/Enroth/Knapp/Lieuwen

Pom and vanek are still very good players. The core is changed. This is a new team. I'm fine with both of these players being with our team in the future. I can see this team being very good next year.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:08 PM
  #25
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
A lot of young unproven talent. It looks good if you are imagining them peaking out but if you think of them as 40 pt rookies, which is pretty high for rookies it's not very good.
If we have 3 40-point rookies at the same time, you won't find me complaining about it.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.