HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Video Game Thread Part II: You Bent my Wookie

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Anyone unlocked "be a commissioner" on NHL13 yet?
It's really easy, you break the disc and no one gets to play.

heh, just heard that and thought it was funny

Old
09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Bosskarelli

vCash: 500
I'm not even going to make it to a month with NHL 13.

I've bought some bad games before, but none of them were this worthless.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

yeah the more i play 13 the less i like it. too much to get used to

Old
09-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Richer's Ghost
GO SJ & CBJ

vCash: 68
I already said it was the buggiest NHL release I can remember, but now the stupid over-emphasized settings for momentum, downgraded graphics, and delayed reaction to hits has me thinking this is more like NHL2K release than an EA one.

While it's horrible to play EASHL until your player becomes at least a pro level, I can somewhat safely say I think they'll keep fixing with patches and tuner updates until it is more like what you expect a game to play like. They're just mesmerized right now with the shiny new toys of the physics and poke check. It will get dialed down inside a month like always.

Oh, and if they're going to make the players get THAT tired THAT fast after using a speed boost, why not just force line changes in EASHL too?

Every time a stick breaks, an angel gets it's wings.

We're all a bunch of sausage sticks walking around. None of us really wants to see how we were made.
Old
09-25-2012, 08:12 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I love NHL 13. Think it's the most realistic game to date.

A lot of people just don't like change. Most of the complaints I've seen in the NHL 13 thread are based around people simply not being good at the game (passing sucks, can't navigate the offensive zone without losing the puck to a pokecheck, allow so many breakaways).

Old
09-25-2012, 08:26 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I already said it was the buggiest NHL release I can remember, but now the stupid over-emphasized settings for momentum, downgraded graphics, and delayed reaction to hits has me thinking this is more like NHL2K release than an EA one.

While it's horrible to play EASHL until your player becomes at least a pro level, I can somewhat safely say I think they'll keep fixing with patches and tuner updates until it is more like what you expect a game to play like. They're just mesmerized right now with the shiny new toys of the physics and poke check. It will get dialed down inside a month like always.

Oh, and if they're going to make the players get THAT tired THAT fast after using a speed boost, why not just force line changes in EASHL too?

Every time a stick breaks, an angel gets it's wings.
the only way i can win a game is by poke checking the crap out of everything. unfortunately, everyone else is hip to that trick too. poke checking went way up, and protecting the puck went down. same with passing vs receiving passes.

the old EA’s were arcade-y, but that’s what im used to and what I like. i play the game for fun, not to hump my controller while I proliferate about how ‘realistic’ it is.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:12 AM
King Henrique
¡ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ¡ǝnbıɹuǝɥ

the thing is, this game really isn't that realistic. it's just bugged and choppy. the hits - not realistic, the poke checking - not realistic, the goalies - extremely unrealistic.

the game needs some serious updates, and they cannot come soon enough. been saying it since day 1, this game is not very good.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

I just want them to make it possible to check the cpu. Just cause they aren't human doesn't mean they can't fall over.

My stick not breaking every time I take a slap shot would be nice too.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
hockeyr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
Anyone unlocked "be a commissioner" on NHL13 yet?
It's really easy, you break the disc and no one gets to play.

heh, just heard that and thought it was funny
zing! haha thats a good one

Old
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Still get aggravated when I hit someone with volch and nothing happens to them and then Marty St. Louis sends me barrel rolling through the air to the other side of the ice....also, all the computer does in games is go behind the net, come back in front and score because the defenders can't move fast enough.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
I love NHL 13. Think it's the most realistic game to date.

A lot of people just don't like change. Most of the complaints I've seen in the NHL 13 thread are based around people simply not being good at the game (passing sucks, can't navigate the offensive zone without losing the puck to a pokecheck, allow so many breakaways).
Pretty much this.

It's not hard to hit the CPU unless you're running at them. Playing defense with poke first, hit second, stick lift third priority while also minding passing lanes shuts down both human and CPU offense. Passing is better than in 12 where Cam Janssen could rip a one timer off a Zidlicky slap pass. The saucer pass - the most underused tool - makes the transition and odd man rush game much better once you're decent at aiming manually.

As for speed bursts and fatigue, sprinting in real hockey is going to make you tired if you're doing it up and down the ice every time. In EASHL as a forward, the way to play without getting gassed is just to play responsibly - if your team has two forwards deep already, play higher up so that you can open up lanes AND if the puck goes the other way, you don't have to sprint back to avoid an odd man rush. I love playing games where the other team sends all 3 forwards hard after the puck because, as a defenseman, I can just bank it off the boards with a saucer pass and spring 3 on 2s all day.

The skating system isn't perfect but for the most part it's much better than 2012+earlier, where you could turn on a dime at full speed, cut in and out 10 times in 15 feet with speed, transition from skating forward up ice to going backwards defensively in a split second, etc... As a primary EASHL defenseman, I love the battle of a quick forward trying to shake me near the boards because I have the tools to angle him and take away his best options. I'm not a Superstar or anything either, I just played my 25th game so my d-man is only ~67 overall... Even still, with smart play I'm able to defend ~77 rated forwards in the top 200 Elite league.

Dump and chase is stronger than ever - even though it was effective in 11 and 12. Possession play and responsible defensive play, rather than tic-tac-toe passing and firewagon hockey, is how you win games unless your team is really in sync.

The biggest complaint I have is hitting from behind, especially in open ice when the checking player is just chasing someone down and lays a weird looking hit. I'm also annoyed that fighting occasionally freezes the game, although it's only happened twice since launch whereas last year's game seemed to freeze after every other fight in EASHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Still get aggravated when I hit someone with volch and nothing happens to them and then Marty St. Louis sends me barrel rolling through the air to the other side of the ice....also, all the computer does in games is go behind the net, come back in front and score because the defenders can't move fast enough.
If you're playing with a slower d-man, don't chase them behind the net. Take the angle to cut them off before they can get to the front of the net - I find the best way to deal with that is to position yourself at the right or left edge of the crease and hit them as they come around if they're going for a wrap, or contain them and stay in the shooting lane if they're taking a wider route to circle into the slot.

Old
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

It's not a complaint about how hard it is to line a guy up. That's supposed to be hard and is not a priority. I learned that the hard way way back when 12 came out.

The problem I have is when there IS a good opportunity to check a guy and and you get them lined up, yet they DON'T FALL DOWN. yet they can send you flying at the drop of a hat. If It's going to be one way or the other than fine, but at least make it fair.

Old
09-25-2012, 03:27 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

So I downloaded a tuner, dunno how recent it is...its like I have to relearn to ****ing play again...they changed something that ****ed with the skating...

Old
09-25-2012, 03:32 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

All I'm gonna say is thank god FIFA came out today. I already need a lengthy vacation from the dump that NHL is and hopefully by the time I come back it's all patched up

Old
09-25-2012, 03:34 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Its like any goalie under an 84 or 85 rating is a seive and anything above is jesus.

Old
09-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Scott04

I hate how I receive all deliveries (FedEx/UPS) at around 7 PM on any given day. It leaves me constantly watching the door or checking delivery statuses online for hours on end. But when FIFA was brought to my door at about 6:45 tonight I got over it really quick. Its weird how relieved I felt to take NHL out of my ps3 in favor of FIFA just now.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

I am becoming strangely addicted to All or Nothing on mw3 and I don't like it

Old
09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i think i'm finally going to buy fifa. nobody complains about fifa.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
Mt favorite game by far

Old
09-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Except that everybody uses the same few teams because they're the best.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:47 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Oh boy will you be in for a surprise

Old
09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Scott04

Quote:
FIFA is the only game that I'm a "buy every year person" without giving a second thought to whether or not I should buy this given year. Been like that for at least 4 or 5 years running. There are other games I've gone with that buy each year mentality, but I had to think about it for a while on some of them (such as with Madden every year until I stopped buying this year). You can tell they put in the actual effort to try to make it a new game every year. At least they do a lot more so than any of the other EA Sports games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Except that everybody uses the same few teams because they're the best.
Good thing about playing me then. The "same few teams" that everyone uses are all teams I hate, so I don't use them. Barcelona is the only of those teams I don't dislike, but I feel its way too cheap to use them. Only do if I'm facing Real Madrid. Otherwise I'm using the Red Bulls. I think I'll use Tottenham sometimes, and maybe I'll dip into a few teams from the German or Italian leagues just for fun. But you're right. Very few others mix it up with teams.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Devils Nick30

Warning: You may want to turn the sound down before the 2nd video.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
Things like this are really frustrating to me. When will they fix the game so that the refs will call that for diving as they should.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

What's diving is clearly setoguchi catapulting into the stands like that. No place for that in the league

Closed Thread