HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency/off-season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 09:45 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Im interested in players like Lats and Mueller because I am of the mind we are in a rebuilding mode. Gambling on talented players with history of production and seasons de-railed by injuries seems to me to be the smarter move than investing money into contracts of aging players.

Doan, Whitney or Jagr would be great signings, don't be me wrong. But we are a young team that should be looking to the future. Signing one of those guys as a mentor to the plethora of young talent is fine, but I think we should be making pitches for players that have long term upside for us. Not just the service of 1-3 years in the twilight of their career.

Old
HABsurde

In anyway, Lats is the only francophone in this FA market worth to make a small offer to, so if Bergevin is true to his words when he was hired. he should make a pitch to him.... my guess is it won't work, but he still need to do the talk

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I'd put part of the blame on Lats himself or his agent.

They didn't wanted to sign any AHL deals. It was the NHL or no contracts.

Had he developed in Hamilton, I think we could have noticed what he was, what he wasn't.
The thing with Lats is that during the couple of pre-seasons after being drafted, he played like we all wanted him to play. I think it was the motivation of making the team and how he fed off the chants of the crowd. But he wasn't that kind of player when things settled down and he had a spot. He wasn't a bad player at all, in fact, he provided good even strength offensive depth. But if those 16 goals a year were accompanied by 230 bone crushing hits a year and 5 fights a year, he'd still be a hab and the city would adore him.

Now the habs are in a situation where they need that physical presence and having Lats means we have a big guy who plays like a 5'10 guy, not soft, but doesn't throw his weight around as much as you'd want to. The habs need that physical and intimidating dimension, not only from solely one player, but as a whole...a reason for the Bruins to think twice before trying to goon it up against us.

The intimidation card rarely works these days, but the bruins and many other teams have made it work against us, because it's a glaring weakness in our roster.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Im interested in players like Lats and Mueller because I am of the mind we are in a rebuilding mode. Gambling on talented players with history of production and seasons de-railed by injuries seems to me to be the smarter move than investing money into contracts of aging players.

Doan, Whitney or Jagr would be great signings, don't be me wrong. But we are a young team that should be looking to the future. Signing one of those guys as a mentor to the plethora of young talent is fine, but I think we should be making pitches for players that have long term upside for us. Not just the service of 1-3 years in the twilight of their career.
totally agree with you on that....

Old
06-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Our top priority should be a big, physical D-man:

Bryan Allen
Cory Sarich

are higher price candidates.

Jason Garrison, Matt Carkner, Scott Hannan and others are lower-priced options.

Next, a 4th-liner. Probably two. Konopka, Prust, Mathieu Roy, Darcy Hordichuk and the like. We need someone with grit. Konopka has the additonal trick of being a faceoff wizard. Moen fits in here.

Last, and least likely, a 2nd-line winger. Here's where it gets dicey. The true candidates are rare and very pricey (Parise, Doan) or so compromised that they are projects (Latendresse, Wolski, Mueller).

Best case scenarios in the real world...something like:

Allen, Konopka/Moen, Wolski

or

Garrision, Prust/Moen, Latendresse

or

Hannan, Roy/Moen, Alexei Ponikarovsky
Garrison will be more expensive than Sarich and Allen.

Like others here, I'm of a mind that we are in a rebuilding/retooling phase. from that point of view, we can take risks in players like Mueller and Fats Lats. They have shown the potential to be impact players and will either be cheaper, have less term or both than the top players on the Market. I also wouldn't be opposed to bringing in veteran stop gaps.

Ideally, I'd target:
-1 of Mueller/Latendresse
-2 of Prust/Konopka/Moen/Hordichuk
-1 of Sarich/Kubina/Gill

It should allow us to ice a decent roster and evaluate what we have.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 06-28-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 09:49 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Is agent was and still is Pat Brisson, one of the biggest in the game... and, just saying, a real, close personnal friend of Marc Bergevin....
Its water under the bridge now. Lats outgrown the initial misleads of his career, and is better developed than he was back then.

Take him back and undo a mistake that did both parties wrong. 2 years, 1.8M/Years. He might end up being a steal if he stays healthy

Old
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Coldplay
Courage

The fact Brisson and Bergevin are buddies means jack-****.

That's no reason to speculate he's coming back. Contracts don't get dished out like that.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
The thing with Lats is that during the couple of pre-seasons after being drafted, he played like we all wanted him to play. I think it was the motivation of making the team and how he fed off the chants of the crowd. But he wasn't that kind of player when things settled down and he had a spot. He wasn't a bad player at all, in fact, he provided good even strength offensive depth. But if those 16 goals a year were accompanied by 230 bone crushing hits a year and 5 fights a year, he'd still be a hab and the city would adore him.

Now the habs are in a situation where they need that physical presence and having Lats means we have a big guy who plays like a 5'10 guy, not soft, but doesn't throw his weight around as much as you'd want to. The habs need that physical and intimidating dimension, not only from solely one player, but as a whole...a reason for the Bruins to think twice before trying to goon it up against us.
on the fourth line i agree, but if on a second line, i have a 6'3 230 lbs guy who can score, i'm all for that. he may be soft with a big body, but would still be harder to intimidate than a 5'10 185 lbs guy....

Old
06-28-2012, 09:55 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

That's no reason to speculate he's coming back. Contracts don't get dished out like that.
It seems coaches are chosen like that or at least in part like that.

Brisson & Bergevin being buddies = Their will be talks at least.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
on the fourth line i agree, but if on a second line, i have a 6'3 230 lbs guy who can score, i'm all for that. he may be soft with a big body, but would still be harder to intimidate than a 5'10 185 lbs guy....
And while he might not be a great fighter, he still is big and strong and can act in a scrum, or pitch in a line fight like Boston sometimes try to draw us in.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
HABsurde

Quote:

And since you are a NHL agent, NHL player or team executives, you know all of this as fact....

If friendship doesnt mean anything, why is there IOU sometimes in this league? It goes both ways Brisson can tell Lats things about him being in a better fit in MTL, with family and everything and Bergevin can up the offer a little bit for his buddy... it could be working that way... we don't know....

Old
06-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I agree that it would be interesting to put him on the Desharnais line with Cole. Maybe he would feed off Cole's style of play and throw the body.

I must admit that at the beginning I was totally against it, but thinking of it, it might be an interesting signing. We need more goals tho'.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
And while he might not be a great fighter, he still is big and strong and can act in a scrum, or pitch in a line fight like Boston sometimes try to draw us in.
thank you for supporting my points....

Old
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I agree that it would be interesting to put him on the Desharnais line with Cole. Maybe he would feed off Cole's style of play and throw the body.

I must admit that at the beginning I was totally against it, but thinking of it, it might be an interesting signing. We need more goals tho'.
yes, but if we could have him at kind of a discount price.... don't want to overpay for him....

Old
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Roke

I view Latendresse as a bridge for Leblanc to spend another year of development. While all indications are Leblanc is capable of playing at least 3rd-line minutes at the NHL level I'd like to give him some more time to polish his offensive game in Hamilton.

I don't think Latendresse fills the huge, gaping LW hole in the top-6 because there's so much uncertainty about him with the injury trouble he's had but he's no a bad gamble for depth and to buy time for the prospects. As a guy who has never had to play tough defensive minutes he's absolutely not the answer to play on Plekanec' wing (though the Habs have the answer internally with Pacioretty if they choose to use it).

Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:

Say what you like, but it sure helps.

Fact is Brisson likely talks more highly of Bergervin than the GM who just got turfed ...TRUE OR FALSE?

That alone is a positive,and might mean more than you think it does.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:04 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
thank you for supporting my points....
I'm on your side here, I like the idea of Lats back :-D

Old
06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
PricePkPatch

The beauty of Latendresse is that he's a very good candidate for 3rd line duty with the potential bonus of 2nd line promotion to go with Desharnais, freeing up Patch for Plek.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
The beauty of Latendresse is that he's a very good candidate for 3rd line duty with the potential bonus of 2nd line promotion to go with Desharnais, freeing up Patch for Plek.
He is a solid PP net presence now that AK is gone.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:20 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He is a solid PP net presence now that AK is gone.
That too. And he's Quebecois.

The ONLY downside is the injury risk. Mulder is there about that.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Dagistitsyn

For the people who wanted Ott with the Habs, rumours are that Dallas is asking for Derek Roy from Buffalo or Paul Stastny from Colorado in return.. anyone interested in giving up any of our top 3 centers for him? I hope not.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
For the people who wanted Ott with the Habs, rumours are that Dallas is asking for Derek Roy from Buffalo or Paul Stastny from Colorado in return.. anyone interested in giving up any of our top 3 centers for him? I hope not.
That has to be a joke! They traded Ribeiro for a 2nd and Eaking and they want that much for Steve Ott?

Guess Bob Gainey really really hates Mike Ribeiro

Old
06-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
Yeah, credibility You cannot take a chance on 3 guys with injury problems, it is gonna bite us in the a$s pretty hard. I'm all on giving Tender another shot, but not Mueller, maybe Wolski
Hmm Mueller is better than Latendresse...much less riskier too seeing how he actually finished the season in the NHL last season playing 32 games while Latendresse has yet to play. I doubt either signs here though, might want a non hockey market.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:26 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

I wouldn't give Wolski another shot. This guy has been bounced around farrr too much.

Mueller and Lats would be going to their 3rd team (2nd in Lats case).

Old
06-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As per the following link, Latendresse is a UFA as of Sunday.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2012...edly-to-go-ufa

So...

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Latendresse - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - UFA - White
Staubitz

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
UFA - Weber
St-Denis

Price
Budaj
As big of a Weber fan as I am and as high on him as I was - no way does he deserve a spot over Diaz. Not even in the slightest.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 06-28-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Closed Thread