HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Devine: Sabres had been targetting Girgensons for a while

Old
06-26-2012, 12:48 AM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Ryan Huska coaching Girgensons in a league full of his peers > Ron Rolston coaching Girgensons in a league full of old journeymen.
The AHL isn't a league full of journeymen and its been going further and further away from that with every season. Even so, veterans like that are only a positive for younger players. Especially with the Sabres valuing "character" vets.

I don't think Vermont would be bad, but nor is the AHL. Devine had a few additional comments in the D&C saying he's physically ready for the AHL. At this point it seems to be up to Girgensons.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Imlach a cup

Get him under the Sabres umbrella as soon as possible. A lot of money has been spent to turn Roc into the beat development program you could ask for. This is exactly it's purpose, develop top picks into contributors. For me Girgensons could be the first real test for Hockey U. Given a year can Goose be rdy for the NHL.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Kruschiki

I remember whe college was somewhere regeir stashed talent so he didn't have to spend money developing it. This seems to have completely changed.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:34 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
I remember whe college was somewhere regeir stashed talent so he didn't have to spend money developing it. This seems to have completely changed.
Regier now has a completely different set of tools with which to work.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Ryan Huska coaching Girgensons in a league full of his peers > Ron Rolston coaching Girgensons in a league full of old journeymen.
I want him in the CHL as well but it seems as though Girgensons doesn't want to do that.

If its between the AHL and Vermont. I would say the AHL for the very things you listed as negatives in going to Vermont. I don't like the idea that he is going to be playing so few games and not getting used to the pro grind.

I also think Rolston's backround would make him well suited to working with him. Rolston was working with teenagers as the coach of team USA's U18 team at the NTDP and was a college assistant with some big time programs (Lake Superior State, Clarkson, Harvard and Boston College). I think its safe to say he would know how to work with a young kid like Girgensons more so than a coach whose backround is in pro coaching.

We can enroll Girgensons in Sabres U.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Sylvester is interviewing Girgs's USHL coach. Add another person who think he could make the Sabres this year.

Compared him to Brindamour and Toews, with less playmaking but more physical play. Can't wait to see this kid. Really high praise in the interview.

Last edited by stokes84: 06-26-2012 at 09:48 AM.
stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Let's just operate under the assumption that Griggles and Girggles make the team... Probably a longshot, but let's just say this draft was that badass....

You gotta assume that if one or both of them make it they are gonna play (duh) not sit in the press box......

What do our lines look like? We can't possibly go forward with all these guys on the roster....

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
gallagt01

Are there any cases of a prospect with a verbal commitment to a school turning pro right after he's drafted, ergo nixing that commitment?

I feel like Buffalo would be stepping on some toes if they coaxed Girgensons into turning pro, though it's ultimately Zemgus' decision.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:21 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
Let's just operate under the assumption that Griggles and Girggles make the team... Probably a longshot, but let's just say this draft was that badass....

You gotta assume that if one or both of them make it they are gonna play (duh) not sit in the press box......

What do our lines look like? We can't possibly go forward with all these guys on the roster....
C`mon man you can think of something better than that

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
C`mon man you can think of something better than that
I like those names!

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:32 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post

My stab at it...

Vanek-Grigorenko-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Hodgson-Roy
Gerbe-Girgensons-Kaleta/Tropp

or

Vanek-Roy-Grigorenko
FES
Leino-Hodgson-Pominville
Gerbe-Girgs-Kaleta/Tropp

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
It would be cool if he went to the 'A' this year. I would love to see him play. Who else is eligible for thw ahl that wasn't on the team last year?
Cat, pysk, sundher?

Dubi Doo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
It would be cool if he went to the 'A' this year. I would love to see him play. Who else is eligible for thw ahl that wasn't on the team last year?
Cat, pysk, sundher?
Sundher, Gauthier-Leduc, Pysyk and possibly Girgensons. Very light year with prospects turning pro. Amerks will probably be veteran heavy.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:26 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle917062.ece

Quote:
“The highlight’s the first day, for sure,” Kevin Devine, the Sabres’ director of amateur scouting, said in Consol Energy Center. “Those two guys are the guys we targeted in the first round. Grigorenko was our guy. Girgensons, Darcy being able to pull off that trade with Calgary, I think a lot of general managers came up to him [Saturday] and they were mad at him because we stepped up and took him. They were all ready to take him.

“That first day, to walk out with two guys that you really liked, you’re pretty happy.”

That's awesome.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I don't like the idea of the competition jump from the USHL to the AHL personally. I think if he spent one year in the CHL or the NCAA as a stepping stone it would be more beneficial...you don't want to throw him to the wolves.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
joshjull

His junior coach said he can help you win even if he is only playing 7mins. Meaning he can contribute in every aspect of the game. It also means, unlike higher end offensive players, time in the bottom 6 would not be wasted on him.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I don't like the idea of the competition jump from the USHL to the AHL personally. I think if he spent one year in the CHL or the NCAA as a stepping stone it would be more beneficial...you don't want to throw him to the wolves.
But there's the question that needs to be answered.

If he's too skilled already to be challenged at the CHL or NCAA levels, there's no point in having him play there.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

If he's too skilled already to be challenged at the CHL or NCAA levels, there's no point in having him play there.
I don't think he's too skilled to get nothing out of playing at either level.

Plus, the CHL route would get him used to the longer schedule without the added pressure of the huge jump from the USHL to the AHL.

Old
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
joshjull

Where I would like to see him

1. Juniors
2. AHL
3. Vermont

Old
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't think he's too skilled to get nothing out of playing at either level.

Plus, the CHL route would get him used to the longer schedule without the added pressure of the huge jump from the USHL to the AHL.
I don't disagree with that based on my uninformed opinion. I should have been clearer that I think that's the decision the organization has to make.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:10 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I want him in the CHL as well but it seems as though Girgensons doesn't want to do that.

If its between the AHL and Vermont. I would say the AHL for the very things you listed as negatives in going to Vermont. I don't like the idea that he is going to be playing so few games and not getting used to the pro grind.

I also think Rolston's backround would make him well suited to working with him. Rolston was working with teenagers as the coach of team USA's U18 team at the NTDP and was a college assistant with some big time programs (Lake Superior State, Clarkson, Harvard and Boston College). I think its safe to say he would know how to work with a young kid like Girgensons more so than a coach whose backround is in pro coaching.

We can enroll Girgensons in Sabres U.
Well, has he really ruled out the CHL route lately?
He's reaffirmed his commitment to Vermont, but I don't think he's trashed Kelowna like he did before.
You have to remember that his previous comments about Kelowna were made in the middle of the season.
Kelowna was implying that he was going to leave the Fighting Saints in the middle of the season for them, so he was obviously going to be pretty adamant about not doing that.

I just don't think the AHL is a place for an 18 year old, especially one that just played two seasons in a junior A NCAA preparatory league that isn't meant to make kids into pro players.
If he steadfastly refuses to take the WHL route, I'm fine with him going to college because he actually belongs in that league, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Are there any cases of a prospect with a verbal commitment to a school turning pro right after he's drafted, ergo nixing that commitment?

I feel like Buffalo would be stepping on some toes if they coaxed Girgensons into turning pro, though it's ultimately Zemgus' decision.
Well, all of the players that decommit are technically turning pro, so yes, plenty have done that.
See: every NCAA committed player selected in the first round of the 2011 draft with the exception of Tyler Biggs (who decommitted after one season)

Quote:
Exactly my feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

He's not necessarily too skilled.
Perhaps he's more physically mature than other players in those leagues, but I don't think he's ready to play in a professional league where he can get called up to the NHL at any time.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Or is it you don't want to throw the wolves to him?

Before he even plays for the Sabres he's going to have a Chuck Norris reputation. Or Chuck Norris will have a Girgensons reputation.

Digable5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Let him play a year in college to play a ton of minutes / all situations, then have him play in the A in 2013-2014 and also being the first call up for the Sabres. You gotta figure that he'll be getting a few games by next season.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

Hockey players constantly break their verbal commitments, more often to go to the CHL rather than college. It's part of the business.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Hockey players constantly break their verbal commitments, more often to go to the CHL rather than college. It's part of the business.
It is, but am I the only one that really likes the fact that he's committed to his commitment? It may or may not be the best thing for his development or for the Sabres, but that's the type of person I want playing for us.

He's a man of his word.

Digable5 is online now   Reply With Quote