HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sylvester: keep Roy, play him on wing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
  #1
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,005
vCash: 500
Sylvester: keep Roy, play him on wing

Contract year. Could obviously be motivated. Let centers battle it out if Grigs makes it.

Referred to the success of Roy-Dru-Grier in 06.

I don't know. Thoughts?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
  #2
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Vanek-Grigs-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Hodgson-Roy
Gerbe-Girgs-Kaleta

Do it. I feel like I'm missing something though.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
  #3
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,124
vCash: 50
No, disagree. Keep him at center, or trade him and replace him with a capable, top-9 NHL center (Dubinsky?). Roy's the one guy in the organization who can win more than 50% of his faceoffs, play a higher level of competition, and make at least half of his zone starts in the defensive zone. I think a top-9 center trio of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko would be a defensive disaster.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
  #4
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
I have no problem keeping Roy unless they have a potential deal in place and need to clear cap space.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
  #5
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
No, disagree. Keep him at center, or trade him and replace him with a capable, top-9 NHL center (Dubinsky?). Roy's the one guy in the organization who can win more than 50% of his faceoffs, play a higher level of competition, and make at least half of his zone starts in the defensive zone. I think a top-9 center trio of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko would be a defensive disaster.
Use him as a utility center, like Pavelski or Hecht. Plays center on PKs and when injuries occur. Nothing wrong with switching him in when needed. Better option than Boyes.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
  #6
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
No, disagree. Keep him at center, or trade him and replace him with a capable, top-9 NHL center (Dubinsky?). Roy's the one guy in the organization who can win more than 50% of his faceoffs, play a higher level of competition, and make at least half of his zone starts in the defensive zone. I think a top-9 center trio of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigorenko would be a defensive disaster.
Yep, then start Grig on the wing if he makes the team.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:18 AM
  #7
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
there are plenty of options in free agency and potentially through trade, by which we could acquire a dzone/faceoff 3rd/4th line center.

I don't see that as the issue regarding trading Roy.

The only question that should be asked regarding whether they should/shouldn't trade Roy, is whether his attitude and character (and potential issues with lindy), will have a negative affect on the young core being brought up behind.

Frankly... I don't want Roy anywhere near Ennis, Hodgson, etc

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:25 AM
  #8
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I have no problem keeping Roy unless they have a potential deal in place and need to clear cap space.
Pretty much this.

If you can improve the team by some transaction with Roy, then do it. Moving him just to move him makes no sense.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:27 AM
  #9
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
I wonder what the Stars are going to do up the middle since they moved Ribs to the Caps.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
  #10
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,722
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I wonder what the Stars are going to do up the middle since they moved Ribs to the Caps.
Roy for Morrow...MAKE IT SO.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
  #11
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Roy for Morrow...MAKE IT SO.
The salaries are pretty much a wash.

But, could Pegula get Morrow to waive his NTC?

And would Dallas move their captain for a pending UFA like Roy?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:40 AM
  #12
CrankyJay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 500
Why is Kevin Sylvester making recommendations?

Did he get this radio show on WGR as a bone thrown to him because they're removing him from calling games next year? God I hope so.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:48 AM
  #13
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
there are plenty of options in free agency and potentially through trade, by which we could acquire a dzone/faceoff 3rd/4th line center.

I don't see that as the issue regarding trading Roy.

The only question that should be asked regarding whether they should/shouldn't trade Roy, is whether his attitude and character (and potential issues with lindy), will have a negative affect on the young core being brought up behind.

Frankly... I don't want Roy anywhere near Ennis, Hodgson,
etc
We don't know anything about him in the locker room. But he does rub me the wrong way, seems to be more of a 'me' player than a team player.

Also Morrow is terrible, he really regressed this year. Still his physical presence and leadership would be a + for me.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
  #14
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,333
vCash: 500
Assuming Grigorenko makes the team, it wouldn't be smart to have him, Ennis and Hodgson as the team's three top-9 centers heading into the season.

I agree with the popular opinion. Keep Roy (at center) unless you can find a capable replacement.

If you want to start Grigorenko at center, move Ennis back to the wing. If you want him to start on the wing, leave Ennis at center.

I mentioned Arnott the other day as the kind of fourth line center I'd like Regier to pursue as I think his leadership could go a long way in guiding Grigorenko down a good path. Roy and Arnott are both long-time NHL centers - that could be monumental for Grigo's development.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
  #15
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Dubinsky for Roy just makes too much sense for both teams. It'll never happen...

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
  #16
Salzig
I am laudable.
 
Salzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonn, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
I see absolutely no need to trade Roy right now. He's still our #1 center on paper, as long as Hodgson, (Adam) or Grigorenko haven't shown anything different. And as already mentioned, he's in his contract year so I expect him to bounce back big time.

Moreover, Roy is an experienced player and is the our best face off man (among the centers), so again, I don't see a reason why we have to trade him or put him on the wing.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
  #17
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Assuming Grigorenko makes the team, it wouldn't be smart to have him, Ennis and Hodgson as the team's three top-9 centers heading into the season.

I agree with the popular opinion. Keep Roy (at center) unless you can find a capable replacement.

If you want to start Grigorenko at center, move Ennis back to the wing. If you want him to start on the wing, leave Ennis at center.

I mentioned Arnott the other day as the kind of fourth line center I'd like Regier to pursue as I think his leadership could go a long way in guiding Grigorenko down a good path. Roy and Arnott are both long-time NHL centers - that could be monumental for Grigo's development.
I agree.

Somewhere in the 12 Forward spots we need to have a mid 30's Veteran or a guy who has won a cup and has had a good amount of playoff experience. The leadership in these core forwards just isn't what we need.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:01 AM
  #18
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
If Ribeiro is worth Eakin and a 2nd... what is Roy worth? certainly not Bolland or Dubinsky right?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:06 AM
  #19
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Trade Roy for Foligno or Dubinsky

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
  #20
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If Ribeiro is worth Eakin and a 2nd... what is Roy worth? certainly not Bolland or Dubinsky right?
Not taking back salary with having to re-up Benn is pretty huge.

And there's a sizable gap in the values of a Cup winning shutdown center with one of the consistently highest quality of competitions in the league and Brandon Dubinsky.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:10 AM
  #21
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Trade Roy for Foligno or Dubinsky
I would like to see Nick Foligno in Buffalo on the 3rd line LW for sure, huge upgrade over what I've seen from Leino thus far.

*Sigh* one can hope.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
  #22
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,595
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Roy for Morrow...MAKE IT SO.
I'd rather they look at Ott who can play in the middle and has all sorts of sand in his game than Morrow who is strictly a wing. Ott can do either and his physical dimension, while not as great as Morrow's, is still pretty good.

Gerbe-Ott-Kaleta as a checking unit? The Yappy Line.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
  #23
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon
 
WhoIsJimBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,008
vCash: 500
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ble-in-dallas/

Steve Ott is available.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:19 AM
  #24
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Not taking back salary with having to re-up Benn is pretty huge.

And there's a sizable gap in the values of a Cup winning shutdown center with one of the consistently highest quality of competitions in the league and Brandon Dubinsky.
and what's the gap between Dubinsky and Eakin then?
that was my point.... i just used 2 commonly referred to trade names

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
  #25
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
and what's the gap between Dubinsky and Eakin then?
that was my point.... i just used 2 commonly referred to trade names
Fair. I think the cap space freed up by that move was an asset in and of itself though. I'd expect that return if we just dump Roy, but I'd still say Derek has value in a salary neutral trade.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.