HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XVI - Licence to Save (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
93gilmour93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Playoffs=more money
It's a gamble. Yes playoffs=money but the panthers are no elite team that will make it every year with or without luongo.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Because contrary to popular beliefs not all GM's search out 'steals'. If they like a player, that player wants to go there some GM's pay good prices for those players.

See. jordan Staal ie Jim Rutherford and Ray Shero.
Ray Shero had the option of trading Jordan Staal any place that he wanted to.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
gee, calling it after you read it on Twitter, how original of you. ...Yea, i saw it tweeted last night too, and call BS on it.

did you miss the tweet where he said he wasnt sure if the Leafs were giving, or getting the 1st rounder? ...and he got the rumor out of Vancouver (no kidding, based on the crazy dream world return)

Burke is many things, insane is not one of them.

Raymond is a dump
Sauve is a scrub (wouldnt even make the Leafs active roster)
4th rounder is a toss in
Luongo is a very talented dump, but, still a dump, else he wouldnt be on the block.

Komi is a Dump
Kulemin is an RFA who just had the worst year of his career
Lupul coming off a career season
2013 1st ...get serious, Leafs cant trade that for anything other than a #1 center.
Sauve is a prospect...

That's like me saying Jesse Blacker is a scrub...

Old
06-27-2012, 09:32 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Ray Shero had the option of trading Jordan Staal any place that he wanted to.
And traded him to the play he wanted to go and got good value for him.

Not sure what your point is.

That Luongo has an NTC? Don't see it as an issue, especially when it's clear luongo wants to go to FLA.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:35 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:

That Luongo has an NTC? Don't see it as an issue, especially when it's clear luongo wants to go to FLA.
The difference is staal had one year left and he was a UFA. He had to be traded to a team he would sign long term with.Not one that could lose him in a year.Rutherford knew Jordan won't leave Eric's team after one year. Other G.M.'s don't know for sure.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:38 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

My point is that it isn't a valid comparison. Toronto was in on the Staal bidding plus other teams, I imagine, who pushed the price up.

If Luongo only wants to go to Florida then maybe Tallon will ask for more to take on his contract, who knows.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:41 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
My point is that it isn't a valid comparison. Toronto was in on the Staal bidding plus other teams, I imagine, who pushed the price up.

If Luongo only wants to go to Florida then maybe Tallon will ask for more to take on his contract, who knows.
And why wouldn't talon play that card. If luongo only wants to waive for Florida the return wont be good.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:41 AM
arsmaster

Quote:

It is rumoured Vancouver kicked the tires as well on Staal too.

I'm not of the belief Luongo will ONLY waive for Florida, I don't believe every internet report out there.

Nobody knows, but generally in Canucks deals, the outcome is out of left field, none of here on hf has a bloody clue who is in and who is not...

We are just speculating...you from you point of bias, me from my side....and now we are playing ring around the rosie.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
And why wouldn't talon play that card. If luongo only wants to waive for Florida the return wont be good.
please post a quote where Luongo or his agent say that? While you at it, post the quote where Luongo or his agent have demanded a trade.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
It's a gamble. Yes playoffs=money but the panthers are no elite team that will make it every year with or without luongo.
With luongo, a solid forward signing in free agency, and a defenseman acquisition to replace garrison, Florida would be a very good team and a favorite for a playoff spot. An elite team? No, but you have to take a chance once in a while and it'd be hard not seeing Florida as a playoff team in most years.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:04 AM
BabyJagrov

Roberto hasn't asked for one... He knows it's coming...

'Nucks fans are in for a big disappointment if they think they'll get much value out of a Luongo-trade !

The cap-relief will be your biggest gain, and that's it...

Don't expect Huberdeau, Bjugstad or even Robak...

A pick and a couple of players on short-term contracts... Just like when we traded you Booth !

And Booth didn't have a no trade !

A year from now loads of posters around HF were saying that the Cats would never be able to dump Olesz awful-contract... Guess what ? We got one of the best offensive defenseman for him who also owns one of the worst contracts in the League...

It will be the same with Luongo !

Old
06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
Roberto hasn't asked for one... He knows it's coming...

'Nucks fans are in for a big disappointment if they think they'll get much value out of a Luongo-trade !

The cap-relief will be your biggest gain, and that's it...

Don't expect Huberdeau, Bjugstad or even Robak...

A pick and a couple of players on short-term contracts... Just like when we traded you Booth !

And Booth didn't have a no trade !

A year from now loads of posters around HF were saying that the Cats would never be able to dump Olesz awful-contract... Guess what ? We got one of the best offensive defenseman for him who also owns one of the worst contracts in the League...

It will be the same with Luongo !
Tough to say at this point. I don't see the Panthers as being in a particularly strong bargaining position. I'm expecting reasonable value. Otherwise I think the Canucks look eslewhere and Florida rolls the dice on Theodore for another year.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
You must have a keen eye for talent. Why aren't you a scout. If you can tell that he's nothing special and has never been after 1 injury plagued season, you should be in the big time. Especially after the small sample when he was healthy gave every indication that he was good.
I've watched goalies a long time. He's nothing special. Was nothing special in junior, nothing special in the AHL and will be nothing special in the NHL (of course all my opinion). (Conversely, look at someone like Schneider, he's put up ELITE numbers at everly level). Reimer is a blocking style goalie with average quickness, decent leg speed and terrible rebound control. Suspect glove hand but mentally, he's pretty tough. The kid has back-up written all over him. Over the course of entire season he'll be very average.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
please post a quote where Luongo or his agent say that? While you at it, post the quote where Luongo or his agent have demanded a trade.
I said IF. Please read the post first.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Tough to say at this point. I don't see the Panthers as being in a particularly strong bargaining position. I'm expecting reasonable value. Otherwise I think the Canucks look eslewhere and Florida rolls the dice on Theodore for another year.
That's what it will come down too IMO.

But if Luongo isn't willing to waive it for any other places than Florida, than Gillis is in a mess and will have to eat a tough pill !

That's the problem with giving a 10-year contract along with a NTC ! You either live and die with your goalie or you let him dictate his value in a trade and his new home.

Like Bob McKenzie stated, I don't think Roberto is that close-minded about playing anywhere else than Florida... But if it's really his strategy, Gillis is in a big and dangerous trap !

Old
06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
gee, calling it after you read it on Twitter, how original of you. ...Yea, i saw it tweeted last night too, and call BS on it.

did you miss the tweet where he said he wasnt sure if the Leafs were giving, or getting the 1st rounder? ...and he got the rumor out of Vancouver (no kidding, based on the crazy dream world return)

Burke is many things, insane is not one of them.

Raymond is an RFA who just had the worst year of his career
Sauve is a middling defensive prospect
4th rounder is a toss in
Luongo is among the top goaltenders in the league

Komi is a Dump
Kulemin is an RFA who just had the worst year of his career
Lupul coming off a career season
2013 1st ...get serious, Leafs cant trade that for anything other than a #1 center.
FTFY

Raymond = Kulemin
Luongo = Lupul+1st-Komi

If the Leafs want to address their sub-par goaltending then they won't be getting Luongo as part of a cap dump. Florida is the only team I could see being the beneficiary of dumping Luongo's contract.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:29 AM
FAMOUSfin

Luongo can't be too choosy about where he will and won't waive his NTC or else he could end up being waived and playing for the Wolves or being claimed by CBJ on re-entry.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:31 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
FTFY

Raymond = Kulemin
Luongo = Lupul+1st-Komi

If the Leafs want to address their sub-par goaltending then they won't be getting Luongo as part of a cap dump. Florida is the only team I could see being the beneficiary of dumping Luongo's contract.
Why would gilles dump the contract on one team but not another?

Old
06-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Halibut

Quote:

I dont get this. Florida made the playoffs with Theodore last year, have a good young prospect on the way so dont really need Luongo. Dont see how they could have a better bargaining position, especially when Luongo would like to go back there so you know he'll waive his NTC if asked. I dont see any other team having a stronger bargaining position.

If a deal goes down with Florida Canucks probably get the least in return.
Toronto is the most desperate team and maybe the waiting game will make them spend more but I think the Schenn trade was at least a signal that they're moving on and wont be held hostage to Gillis's schedule.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:46 AM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Why would gilles dump the contract on one team but not another?
If he can't get what he wants as part of a hockey trade then at least he can send Lu to his preferred destination and reinforce Vancouver as a player friendly organization. For those reasons, if all any team can offer Gillis is cap space, then I see Lu ending up in Florida.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
kammyBlazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
Luongo can't be too choosy about where he will and won't waive his NTC or else he could end up being waived and playing for the Wolves or being claimed by CBJ on re-entry.
canucks management would never do that to him. That's bad business.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
That's what it will come down too IMO.

But if Luongo isn't willing to waive it for any other places than Florida, than Gillis is in a mess and will have to eat a tough pill !

That's the problem with giving a 10-year contract along with a NTC ! You either live and die with your goalie or you let him dictate his value in a trade and his new home.

Like Bob McKenzie stated, I don't think Roberto is that close-minded about playing anywhere else than Florida... But if it's really his strategy, Gillis is in a big and dangerous trap !
I disagree. Gillis is in pretty good shape. All he needs is two teams to be interested and he will get fair value. I doubt very much that Roberto is saying Florida is the only team. If Florida and Toronto offer spare parts then I see no risk for Gillis being patient. It's not like spare parts from teams like Toronto or Florida improve the Canucks. Worst case he just waits and dumps for those same spare parts later on. Best case he gets a good offer as teams get desperate. Having two great goalies already I see Gillis as being in a better position for sure than Burke and I'd argue also than Tallon. Both sides are playing poker right now. If I'm Gillis I'd call their bluffs.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I dont get this. Florida made the playoffs with Theodore last year, have a good young prospect on the way so dont really need Luongo. Dont see how they could have a better bargaining position, especially when Luongo would like to go back there so you know he'll waive his NTC if asked. I dont see any other team having a stronger bargaining position.

If a deal goes down with Florida Canucks probably get the least in return.
Toronto is the most desperate team and maybe the waiting game will make them spend more but I think the Schenn trade was at least a signal that they're moving on and wont be held hostage to Gillis's schedule.
Let's be honest. They made the playoffs because their division was awful. They need to improve to make it again. Florida has some great prospects (probably the best prospect pool in the NHL) and should improve over the next couple of years. Having Luongo would really push them into being a contender wver sooner, IMO. I can see why Luongo would want to go there over the Leafs.

Last edited by vanwest: 06-27-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old
06-27-2012, 10:52 AM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammyBlazer View Post
canucks management would never do that to him. That's bad business.
It's far from ideal but if Luongo were to pull that card then Gillis has a few cards up his sleeve too.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Let's be honest. They made the playoffs because their division was awful. They need to improve to make it again. Florida has some great prospects (probably the best prospect pool in the NHL) and should improve over the next couple of years. Having Luongo would really push them into being a contender wver sooner, IMO. I can see why Luongo would want to go there over the Leafs.
True but I dont see their division getting much if any stronger all that quickly. There goaltending has been good enough and looks like it will improve on it's own. I dont see any desperate need to go out and get Luongo. Toronto's goaltending is more questionable with what happened last year.

I dont see the Panthers offering up any of their top prospects to get a deal done.

Closed Thread