HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen II

Old
06-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
As for the main event.. I just re-watched Silva/Sonnen and Silva just looked so, so out of it. He looked like a completely different fighter. He was getting tagged standing up, he slipped a couple times, and he was absolutely useless from the ground until the fifth round.
Maybe because Chael was taking him down at will and even dropped him a couple of times? Chael may not be a generational fighter but I think he showed in their first fight that maybe he could just be Anderson's kryptonite?

A lot of Anderson's success is built around him waiting for his opponent to make the first mistake and then using his great reflexes and pouncing on them. Chael didn't fight him that way, didn't allow him to size him up and brought the fight to Anderson and pushed him and it was clear from the opening bell that Silva was not comfortable at all. Chael's also got a great chin which helps him employ that strategy.

I'm not about to put a bunch of money down on Chael or anything, but I also don't buy the notion that he got lucky in their first fight or that Anderson was hurting to the point that it made him that ineffective. If anything I'd suggest Anderson got lucky that Chael got so sloppy late in the 5th.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:55 AM
TerminatorBlue

I hope Chael Sonnen wins, mostly to stop Dana White from going on and on about Silva being the best pound for pound fighter in the world and the best fighter of all time.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:57 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
I hope Chael Sonnen wins, mostly to stop Dana White from going on and on about Silva being the best pound for pound fighter in the world and the best fighter of all time.
Dana White... and everyone else, given Fedor's return to humanity.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:59 AM
m9

Quote:
Yup, how dare Dana White tells the truth. Better put a stop to that!

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:10 AM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Dana White... and everyone else, given Fedor's return to humanity.
But Fedor hasn't fought the best fighters in the world. According to Dana White.

Quote:
Yup, how dare Dana White tells the truth. Better put a stop to that!
I don't agree with that, GSP could be considered the best P4P fighter in the world and so could Jon Jones. Best MAA fighter of all time, l doubt that.

Old
06-27-2012, 01:22 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
I don't agree with that, GSP could be considered the best P4P fighter in the world and so could Jon Jones. Best MAA fighter of all time, l doubt that.
As long as Anderson keeps winning, GSP will never be considered the best P4P fighter or the GOAT.

A lot of my friends actually want Anderson to lose for that exact reason. They're huge GSP homers and can't stand the fact that everyone says Anderson is the best. Sadly, my friends aren't alone either. A lot of Canadians cheer against Anderson for that same reason.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:40 AM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
As long as Anderson keeps winning, GSP will never be considered the best P4P fighter or the GOAT.

A lot of my friends actually want Anderson to lose for that exact reason. They're huge GSP homers and can't stand the fact that everyone says Anderson is the best. Sadly, my friends aren't alone either. A lot of Canadians cheer against Anderson for that same reason.
I'm not a GSP fanboy or anything but if GSP keeps winning shouldn't he be put up there as well? I don't want to take anything away from Silva either, him and GSP should be tied with Jon Jones being a close second for p4p.

BTW I'm sure there are Silva fans who are hoping GSP loses to cement Silva as the greatest p4p too. As for the greatest of all time I think Jon Jones will be by the time he retires, he looks so unstoppable right now....especially if he beats Hendo.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:12 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
I find this amusing. And don't get me wrong, a ton of people here in America agree with you. IMO Canadians should want Anderson to lose so that more people consider GSP to be the best around. GSP is a national hero. Anderson Silva is a guy who doesn't speak their language from a country they've likely never been to. They should like GSP more than Anderson. I'll never understand that in this country. Other countries almost universally root for their own, whereas we often times don't. It's unfortunate.

Quote:
I'm not a GSP fanboy or anything but if GSP keeps winning shouldn't he be put up there as well? I don't want to take anything away from Silva either, him and GSP should be tied with Jon Jones being a close second for p4p.
I think it's fair for GSP and Silva to be tied, but I think most would give Silva the edge because as dominant as GSP is, Silva has a tendency to beat people in ways one would never even imagine. Not to mention GSP has a bad (yes avenged) loss in the UFC, whereas Anderson doesn't.

Quote:
BTW I'm sure there are Silva fans who are hoping GSP loses to cement Silva as the greatest p4p too. As for the greatest of all time I think Jon Jones will be by the time he retires, he looks so unstoppable right now....especially if he beats Hendo.
I know I'm probably in the minority, but Jones is the best P4P fighter right now IMO. If he beats Hendo it just furthers the gap. Jones has absolutely run through a who's who of fighters in what in my opinion is the most talented division in the sport. Jones' resume is already better than GSP's or Anderson's. I understand many want to include longevity in GOAT discussions, and I respect that, but P4P is here and now, and no one has even come close to what Jones has done over the last 2.5 years.

Last edited by BGDDYKWL: 06-27-2012 at 06:23 AM.
BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
DeathFromAbove

I don't think GSP will ever surpass Anderson in terms of "greatness". They both have incredible resumes, but Anderson gets the edge because he puts on incredible fights. You can go back and watch his fights with Forrest, Vitor, Franklin, Leben etc. and still be amazed. I don't think I've ever had the desire to go back and watch a GSP fight. At least not in the last 4 or 5 years anyway.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

I hope Andersen kicks Chael to professional wrestling where that clown belongs.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I find this amusing. And don't get me wrong, a ton of people here in America agree with you. IMO Canadians should want Anderson to lose so that more people consider GSP to be the best around. GSP is a national hero. Anderson Silva is a guy who doesn't speak their language from a country they've likely never been to. They should like GSP more than Anderson. I'll never understand that in this country. Other countries almost universally root for their own, whereas we often times don't. It's unfortunate.

It is hard to tell what the split is. I am Canadian and a majority of my friends and people I associate with want Silva to kick Chael's ass and I think that is based on the way Chael presents himself. It is like he is that bad guy on WWE that is very biased against anything that is not American.

Also addressing the GSP V Silva debate... most of the people I know will barely pay to watch a GSP fight (but still want him to win) as he has become very boring and safe. Anderson Silva on the other hand is entertaining and an excellent fighter but if it ever came down to a Silva vs GSP fight.....I feel that a large majority of Canadians would be down with GSP.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:45 PM
TerminatorBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I know I'm probably in the minority, but Jones is the best P4P fighter right now IMO. If he beats Hendo it just furthers the gap. Jones has absolutely run through a who's who of fighters in what in my opinion is the most talented division in the sport. Jones' resume is already better than GSP's or Anderson's. I understand many want to include longevity in GOAT discussions, and I respect that, but P4P is here and now, and no one has even come close to what Jones has done over the last 2.5 years.
I agree with all of that, Rampage Jackson, Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida, Maurício Rua he walked through these guys with ease and these guys were all champions. The only reason I don't consider him the best yet is like you say longevity but even still it would be hard against it.

Quote:
Not to mention GSP has a bad (yes avenged) loss in the UFC, whereas Anderson doesn't.
IMO even though Silva won against Sonnen in there last fight he needs to beat Sonnen convincingly this time.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:55 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Sonnen: The one thing Silva didn't say is that he would beat me

Quote:
"Who gives a damn? He can do all those things." he added. "But one thing he didn't say is that he's going to beat me. One thing he didn't say he'd break is my will. One thing he didn't say he'd do is win this fight. We'll be in the middle of a cage stupid; I'd expect you to do those things."
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...would-beat-me/

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post

That's the best he could come up with?

"He basically said he's going to kill me and he made me tap once already but he didn't say he's going to be beat me this time!"

Old
06-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post

Lol thats because :

"He says he's going to knock out my teeth and break my jaw and break my head and all this," Sonnen said. "He acts like I've never been to the orthodontist

There will just be an immediate burial after the dust settles Sounds like Silva just wants to hurt him very badly.

I have not been excited for an event in a year and this rhetoric is pumping me up

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:52 PM
DeathFromAbove

All of you guys bashing Sonnen for his pro wrestling antics take yourselves way too seriously.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
m9

Yeah, Sonnen's stuff is over the top but I get it.

I just don't like Sonnen for his garbage he has pulled after getting tapped out, acting like he didn't tap it. Its a disgrace for the sport when he ruins great moments like the Silva sub by trying to make a controversy out of it. And, he's done it before.

All of this pre-fight hype is fine with me.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I hope Andersen kicks Chael to professional wrestling where that clown belongs.
Quote:

I just don't like Sonnen for his garbage he has pulled after getting tapped out, acting like he didn't tap it. Its a disgrace for the sport when he ruins great moments like the Silva sub by trying to make a controversy out of it. And, he's done it before.

I try not to judge the actions of a fighter shortly after a fight concludes. Who knows what it's like to be winning a championship fight for 23 minutes only to lose it. What really matters is that Chael didn't have any excuses after he had time to gather his thoughts and acknowledged that he tapped.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:

Its awesome.

NOBODY sells a fight with their mouth better than Sonnen.

Just look at the reactions in this thread.

Best thing about it is he can back it up.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
All of you guys bashing Sonnen for his pro wrestling antics take yourselves way too seriously.
I like his pro wrestling antics. The stuff he was saying before their first fight about Anderson, the Nogueiras, and Brazil was great.

The stuff he has been saying lately......not so much. A lot of the stuff he says now isn't funny or creative. It's just stupid.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:46 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
I like his pro wrestling antics. The stuff he was saying before their first fight about Anderson, the Nogueiras, and Brazil was great.

The stuff he has been saying lately......not so much. A lot of the stuff he says now isn't funny or creative. It's just stupid.
I disagree completely. If anything, I think his creativity has increased since the fight. I had no idea how he was going to handle the loss after all the pre-fight smack talk but he pulled it off. Coming out with a fake belt to interviews, claiming to be "undefeated & undisputed", calling his fights against Stann & Bisping title defenses, etc. He's handled it perfectly.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
I'm a huge Silva homer but I love Sonnen's talk, hell I love Sonnen. Can't say I know with confidence what will happen but that's why I can't wait to see part 2.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:17 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I try not to judge the actions of a fighter shortly after a fight concludes. Who knows what it's like to be winning a championship fight for 23 minutes only to lose it. What really matters is that Chael didn't have any excuses after he had time to gather his thoughts and acknowledged that he tapped.
But he pulled the same thing against Filho too, so that's why I know he's full of it. He's talented, he's a great talker, but his in-ring lack of class is a joke.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

oops

Old
06-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:

Exactly. Its stale. I understand he hypes his fights and sells himself which is fine but lately it sounds like its just old wrestling promos from back in the day.