HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 148: Silva vs Sonnen II

Old
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post

This is the punch I'm referring to. Just after Silva lands with that quick right counter you can see Sonnen go a little wobble for a moment and sort of shake his head.

I think that punch messed him up and he panicked a bit.
I don't see it, guy. Watch his head, it's already dodging out of the way as the punch by Silva is being thrown as he's throwing one himself. If anything, Silva's punch clips him on the shoulder area. I also don't see this wobble either. I see him move his head as Silva is punching as he's throwing an overhead hook and then positioning himself back into a boxer's guard stance right as the gif ends. Right after this gif is the sequence where Silva goes for the kick and Chael blocks it and goes for the takedown and there's nothing there to indicate that he was dazed.

edit: wait, I think I might see what you're talking about. The first punch, Chael lands with a jab. At first glance I dismissed it because it happened so quick, but it's hard to tell if Silva's right actually hits or if it was just a swing attempt as he's being punched. As Silva counters, he's backing up and getting hit at the same time. I still don't see the head wobble or any apparent sign of being dazed. I see him bounce on his feelt a little bit as he goes back into the boxer's stance before the last little flurry.

Last edited by VeddarRants: 07-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.
VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 11:45 PM
nightfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I don't see it, guy. Watch his head, it's already dodging out of the way as the punch by Silva is being thrown as he's throwing one himself. If anything, Silva's punch clips him on the shoulder area. I also don't see this wobble either. I see him move his head as Silva is punching as he's throwing an overhead hook and then positioning himself back into a boxer's guard stance right as the gif ends. Right after this gif is the sequence where Silva goes for the kick and Chael blocks it and goes for the takedown and there's nothing there to indicate that he was dazed.
Look again. As sonnen's left jab reaches out silva side steps and counters with his own right cross that goes under the jab and connects squarely with sonnen's jaw.

Whether it wobbled him or not is hard to tell but it definitely seemed to hurt him.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:22 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Look again. As sonnen's left jab reaches out silva side steps and counters with his own right cross that goes under the jab and connects squarely with sonnen's jaw.

Whether it wobbled him or not is hard to tell but it definitely seemed to hurt him.
I watched it again on another replay up on youtube where I could pause it at different points and expand the screen size. You guys could be right, but it's awfully hard to tell just where that punch by Silva goes. As Chael is extending his arm finishing his jab, Silva's arm is underneath Chael's, partially blocking the punch and Silva's fist seems to disappear under Chael's arm/armpit area. Whether or not it connects with his chin, is hard to tell without another angle. Considering that Silva was not only backpedaling, but his head is moving backwards from being punched while his own punch was partially blocked by Chael's follow-thru, I'm still going to say it missed. Chael retreats a step while bouncing into the boxer's guard which that little bounce step is something he does often when disengaging after a flurry. I'm not sure if that bounce is what you guys see as his wobble, but I saw that as something Sonnen does normally.

In any event, that exchange didn't have much to do with what really was the turn of the tide, which came in two parts: the miss and eventual tripping from the backfist and the knee to the chest by Silva. Up to that point, Sonnen was winning the fight: he was the clear aggressor, landed far more strikes and significant strikes, had a takedown and passed Silva's guard twice.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:23 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post

edit: wait, I think I might see what you're talking about. The first punch, Chael lands with a jab. At first glance I dismissed it because it happened so quick, but it's hard to tell if Silva's right actually hits or if it was just a swing attempt as he's being punched. As Silva counters, he's backing up and getting hit at the same time. I still don't see the head wobble or any apparent sign of being dazed. I see him bounce on his feelt a little bit as he goes back into the boxer's stance before the last little flurry.
I recall seeing the replay after. They showed it on the ppv from a different angle, and Sonnen definitely got tagged square and hard. I dont know if it was the sequence above but I think it might have been.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

Apparently the full translation of what Silva said after the fight was "Chael, if you want to have a barbecue at my house, I invite you. My wife cook for us." Not sure if that's true, but if so that's pretty hilarious.
The clip I saw on youtube didn't have the greatest sound, but I definitely heard him inviting him to a churrasco, which is a bbq.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:50 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

Apparently the full translation of what Silva said after the fight was "Chael, if you want to have a barbecue at my house, I invite you. My wife cook for us." Not sure if that's true, but if so that's pretty hilarious.
During the post-fight presser, someone asked Chael if he'd accept the invitation... He said something along the lines of "I'm starving right now, I could go for some barbecue if he's having one... But it still has to be medium rare" which I thought was hilarious and even got a laugh out of Silva. For context, a while back he said "You tell Anderson Silva I'm coming over and I'm kicking down his backdoor and patting his little lady on the ass and I'm telling her to make me a steak, medium-rare just how I like it."

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
calgaryflames1212

anderson silva!!! best pound for pound fighter in ufc history.

calgaryflames1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

So much for Sonnen not complaining and taking his loss like a man. He's going to file an appeal with the NSAC because of Anderson's (legal) knee near the end of the fight.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
So much for Sonnen not complaining and taking his loss like a man. He's going to file an appeal with the NSAC because of Anderson's (legal) knee near the end of the fight.
Hmmm set up for a AvsS 3? Cash money right there!!

Read that his coach is calling for an appeal but his manager was unaware this is going down when contacted....should be interesting. I have not been able to watch a reply since the fight but in the one replay it looked like the knee strike was to the chest and I could not see it glance off his head. Will have to rewatch when I get home from work.

Last edited by tacogeoff: 07-09-2012 at 04:17 PM.
tacogeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I saw that too. The article I read made it seem like it was Sonnen's coach ( not Sonnen himself but I'm sure he was privy to that discussion ) who was filing the appeal and called it " an injustice ". Not sure if they have a leg to stand on; it was close but it looked legal to me. Maybe they have some super up close angle of it that shows otherwise.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

http://*******************/articles/...rom-dana-white

So instead of the appeal, it looks like they're going to make a pitch to White that a rematch is in order.

They do have an interesting case to be made, with Silva getting caught rubbing Vaseline at the start of the match and being warned twice about holding the shorts ( once while punching that the ref had to physically step in for and another time that wasn't caught for over 10 seconds ) and at the time of the knee, Silva was losing. I don't think they would have won an appeal but I think they might get better results with looking for a rematch from White and fans.

Last edited by VeddarRants: 07-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I watched the replay of that knee again...it looks like the point of the knee is going right for the upperchest, but Chael's head is leaning forward a little bit and Silva's thigh makes contact with Sonnen's face as the knee starts to hit the chest. I don't think that's illegal... it's close though.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I took a screenshot just at the point of contact when Sonnen's head is leaning forward and the knee/thigh start to come in.

Old
07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
m9

I have no problem with him disputing it if it is deemed illegal.

I don't think it is however, and if it's something ticky-tac like a thigh glancing him when the body was the original point of contact then I can't imagine it will get too far.

Regardless, I doubt they do a third fight.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
tacogeoff

Ah that image puts a satisfying smile on my face ^^^^^
Sonnen suffering yet another defeat to the champ after months of smack talk.

But yes I think you are right. The impact of the knee drove his head down into the thigh.

tacogeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Captain_Cunney

Drop the appeal, climb back up the ladder. The knee was in the chest, watched in slow motion numerous times. The Vaseline was shifty but he was caught & wiped down before the fight, it isn't like it went unnoticed. You could hear the ref talking about it during the introductions (in hd anyways).

Sonnen took it like a man, fans & his coaches should do the same.

If Weidman can continue to improve his hands with Ray, he could be te only guy with a reasonable chance of taking that belt.

Hopefully Andy sticks around for another 4 or 5 fights so that happens down the road. Hopefully they don't rush Weidman into a titleshot if he wins tomorrow....

Last edited by Captain_Cunney: 07-10-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Knee to chest/lower thigh to face. Very close. Another inch and the knee makes contact.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I wonder if Hendo will get another shot. Also, what's in store for Rory if he beats Penn? Kos? Or will White try to talk him into going up in weight?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:24 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I wonder if Hendo will get another shot. Also, what's in store for Rory if he beats Penn? Kos? Or will White try to talk him into going up in weight?
Doubt Henderson gets a shot. He said he would only drop to fight Silva, and there are a few guys who will be in line ahead of him.

As for Rory, Kos coming off a loss doesn't make any sense to me unless he fights and wins in the fall first. I wonder if they will do Kos v Ellenberger, and Rory can take on the winner if he beats Penn.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:14 AM
DaaaaB's

I gotta agree with those saying Sonnen lost because he got reckless and found a way to lose like he has in the past. Anderson showed great killer instinct but definitely didn't prove to me that he's the better fighter.

Those saying the fight was so anticipated because it was a rematch and not because of Sonnen's trash talk are dreaming. This fight was hardly talked about by casual fans until the week or two leading up to it when the sports channels starting airing replays of Sonnen talking smack and the press conference over and over along with the countdown being shown. The fact that it was a rematch of an extremely close first fight certainly helped sell it but Sonnen's smack talk is what pulled in most of the casual fans. Close to half of the casual fans I talked to about it were cheering for Anderson to win because they thought Sonnen was a ******-bag so I wouldn't say his smack talk only attracted WWE fanboys either.

Forrest is a clown. Can't stand the guy. Running away like a baby again then comes back and tries to take away from Tito's moment. I don't care if Tito's acted like a ****** in the past, he's a hall of famer and deserved to have his moment.

Cung Le did better than I expected or maybe Cote was just a lot worse than expected. Either way I have a new found respect for Cung after hearing him bash Steven Seagel in that interview with Ariel.

Phillippou showed some nice hands again in his win. I'd like to see him be a little more aggressive though. I thought Tibau got ripped off but I did miss most of the 1st round. Khabib was aggressive but I though Tibau did more damage.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:59 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I gotta agree with those saying Sonnen lost because he got reckless and found a way to lose like he has in the past. Anderson showed great killer instinct but definitely didn't prove to me that he's the better fighter.
Didn't prove to you that he's the better fighter? By going 2-0 he proved by the very definition of "better fighter" that he is the better fighter. Whether your context is the rules of MMA, where in both fights Silva won by stoppage, or if your context is a hypothetical street fight where in both cases Anderson took little/no damage and again, finished both fights.

The only thing Chael has proven is that he is clearly the better wrestler. But holding dominant positions without being able to mount an effective offense isn't enough to characterize him as the better fighter.

I'd like to see Werdum get another chance at JDS because I think he under-estimated Cigano and got caught, and I think a rematch could potentially go much differently. Does that mean JDS didn't prove he's a better fighter in my eyes? Of course not.

Old
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Also, have any of you seen UFC Central since the event? They zoomed in and slowed down the knee, and it's clearly 100% legal. They also mentioned Hector Lombard may get a title shot if he wins, and Bisping could face Belcher.

Old
07-11-2012, 05:11 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Didn't prove to you that he's the better fighter? By going 2-0 he proved by the very definition of "better fighter" that he is the better fighter. Whether your context is the rules of MMA, where in both fights Silva won by stoppage, or if your context is a hypothetical street fight where in both cases Anderson took little/no damage and again, finished both fights.

The only thing Chael has proven is that he is clearly the better wrestler. But holding dominant positions without being able to mount an effective offense isn't enough to characterize him as the better fighter.

I'd like to see Werdum get another chance at JDS because I think he under-estimated Cigano and got caught, and I think a rematch could potentially go much differently. Does that mean JDS didn't prove he's a better fighter in my eyes? Of course not.
Well, maybe a poor choice of words since Chael has cost himself wins enough times that it's clearly a trend. What I meant though is, if Chael doesn't make a dumb mistake like he did in this fight and the 1st one, he wins more often than not vs Anderson. He's got the skills to beat him but doesn't play it safe enough.

I hope you're not serious about Anderson taking no/little damage in the first fight.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
RoadDoggFL

vCash: 595
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its all in fun man.

You are taking this a little too seriously dont you think?

Wow.
I saw this coming from Sonnen supporters. On the bright side, everyone is pegging him as a loser, so it's pretty safe to say we won't have to worry about how insufferable he and his fans would be after a big win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I hope you're not serious about Anderson taking no/little damage in the first fight.
Compared to Sonnen?

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote