HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Dominik Kahun

Old
06-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Chileiceman

vCash: 500
Dominik Kahun

I was snooping around Elite Prospects and came across a German player named Dominik Kahun. He led the junior German league in scoring as a 16 year old this year. He's listed as very small but I bet the weight is out of date. It looks like he had a good U-18 tournament too.

Anyone know anything about him, and is there a chance he could get drafted this year? Does any CHL team own his rights?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
I was snooping around Elite Prospects and came across a German player named Dominik Kahun. He led the junior German league in scoring as a 16 year old this year. He's listed as very small but I bet the weight is out of date. It looks like he had a good U-18 tournament too.

Anyone know anything about him, and is there a chance he could get drafted this year? Does any CHL team own his rights?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71940
Well as far as I know Kahun has not yet been drafted by any CHL team, but that could happen today. Although I have not yet heard anything about him going to North America. It would be interesting to see him play in the CHL.
He is still rather small, but not necessarily weak. His stickhandling, passing and vision were very good the few times I have seen him play during the U-18 this year. But it is sometimes to easy to knock him of the puck.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
HabsGER

He played alongside fellow prospect Leon Draisaitl, son of former german hockey player Peter Draisaitl.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71913

HabsGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGER View Post
He played alongside fellow prospect Leon Draisaitl, son of former german hockey player Peter Draisaitl.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=71913
And he was just selected 39th overall in the CHL Import Draft by the Sudbury Wolves.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Chileiceman

Well I will be cheering for him. Would be awesome if he makes it to the NHL.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:40 PM
HabsGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
And he was just selected 39th overall in the CHL Import Draft by the Sudbury Wolves.
Leon was picked 2nd overall...wow!

HabsGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:26 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

is this guy 2013 eligible?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
is this guy 2013 eligible?
yes.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Torts

solid 1st year in CHL in my opinion, hopefully gets scooped up by a team in the later rounds (5,6 or 7). if not maybe he bulks up, gets a little bigger and has a stronger year next year with an improved wolves squad.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
solid 1st year in CHL in my opinion, hopefully gets scooped up by a team in the later rounds (5,6 or 7). if not maybe he bulks up, gets a little bigger and has a stronger year next year with an improved wolves squad.
He might even get drafted earlier, Tobias Rieder had much worser stats and was still considered a steal in the 4th round, I think he will go in the 4th and have an impressive breakout year next season

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:42 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Kahun and Kubalik, pretty good pickups by Sudbury
They definatly well be a big part of the team next year

TheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
He might even get drafted earlier, Tobias Rieder had much worser stats and was still considered a steal in the 4th round, I think he will go in the 4th and have an impressive breakout year next season
There is a chance he could go in the 4th, but I doubt it.
He is smaller than Rieder, and Rieder produced at a much higher pace in his draft year than Kahun did before he slowed down at the end.
The next year he kept his production up through the whole season.

Kahun was rather consistent this year, and even if he improves, I don't see him reaching the same numbers Rieder did, and I don't think any team is going to make such a risky at that point. Like Torts I could see him go in rounds 5,6 or 7.

But we will see. It would be really great if he were to grow a couple of inches, that could help him a lot.

Old
04-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Sanderson

Yeah, I don't see Kahun going higher than Rieder either. Rieder had better size, was scoring at a good pace in a pro-league before moving over and had an amazing start into his OHL career. He was ranked 6th in the OHL in the first central scouting list and was considered to be at least a second rounder, if not possible first rounder at that point. While he dropped a lot afterwards, it still doesn't compare to Kahun's situation. Rieder was considered a steal because he was supposed to go much earlier.

Kahun had a solid year, but at no point did you think he was about to go on a tear, reach the next level and be among the best of the league, something that Rieder was for the first half of his first season.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Yeah, I don't see Kahun going higher than Rieder either. Rieder had better size, was scoring at a good pace in a pro-league before moving over and had an amazing start into his OHL career. He was ranked 6th in the OHL in the first central scouting list and was considered to be at least a second rounder, if not possible first rounder at that point. While he dropped a lot afterwards, it still doesn't compare to Kahun's situation. Rieder was considered a steal because he was supposed to go much earlier.

Kahun had a solid year, but at no point did you think he was about to go on a tear, reach the next level and be among the best of the league, something that Rieder was for the first half of his first season.
Rieder had 9 points more in 7 games more, that not that much in the CHL. I didn't follow Rieder much in his draft year, so I can't say something about his overall play, but really, the stats aren't that much better. And Rieder was seen as a 2nd round pick (possible) so I think Kahun can be seen as a possible 4th rounder pick, but I agree I doubt he goes before the 5th due to size issues

Jacko95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Rieder had 9 points more in 7 games more, that not that much in the CHL. I didn't follow Rieder much in his draft year, so I can't say something about his overall play, but really, the stats aren't that much better. And Rieder was seen as a 2nd round pick (possible) so I think Kahun can be seen as a possible 4th rounder pick, but I agree I doubt he goes before the 5th due to size issues
I wasn't talking about how many points they had at the end of the year. As a matter of fact, I said that Rieder fell off near the end. The difference is that Rieder was far beyond 1 PPG for the first part of the season, scoring at the same pace as his teammate Landeskog, top ten in the league.

So not only had Rieder better size and scored in a pro-league before, but he also had been ranked very high and had shown the ability to dominate the OHL at age 17. What caused him to fall were questions about whether he could perform at an elite level over a whole season. At that stage of the career, a prospect who scores at a very high level for one half and a very low level in the other half, is likely to be rated much higher than a prospect who does consistently well throughout the season without being lights out at any point. One has shown the elite skill-level, stamina and consistency are easier to work at than jumping to the next skill-level.

I do think that Kahun will improve over the next year and he certainly should be drafted by someone, but I don't think you can get anything about his draft position out of how Rieder fared.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Tronador

But Kahun seemed to not be listed anymore in the Draft ranking. He is missing at the final ranking, as well as Frederik Tiffels.

Tronador is offline   Reply With Quote