Notices

Joey Leach will not be signed!

Old
05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Joey Leach will not be signed!

According to Flames it is because they are at the 50 contract limit. I guess the signing of Kolanos should now clearly come into focus? Signing Kolanos cost us Joey Leach, a 3rd round pick. Horrible asset management.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

vCash: 50
While I dislike the Kolanos signing as much as the next guy, Leach's contract wouldn't kick in until July 1 anyways right? Therefore it wouldn't matter about the contract limit.

I can only hope that 1. Lamb turns into something promising, and 2. Leach doesn't turn out to be a serviceable NHLer for some other team down the road. THAT would be bad asset management.

EDIT: I realize that saying that makes me sound very dickish, so I don't mean that I hope Leach doesn't have a successful career, because I hope he does, but the Flames have had enough things not go our way that another one might make me go mental.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
According to Flames it is because they are at the 50 contract limit. I guess the signing of Kolanos should now clearly come into focus? Signing Kolanos cost us Joey Leach, a 3rd round pick. Horrible asset management.
Completely disagree.

If they thought Leach could help the organization they would have signed him.

As for Kolanos`, the fact of the matter is that the organization has to ice two teams - one in Calgary and oone in Abby. Kolanos helps the Heat immensely.

But again, if they thought Leach could help the Flames, they would have had room for him

Edit: they mentioned the 50 contract limit to be nice - and to placate those who would say `why not sign him anyway?``

OrrwastheBeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Medium Rare*

Weisbrod never said we were at the limit, he said they don't want to waste a contract on him since he is at least 3-4 years away

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrwastheBeatles View Post
Completely disagree.

If they thought Leach could help the organization they would have signed him.

As for Kolanos`, the fact of the matter is that the organization has to ice two teams - one in Calgary and oone in Abby. Kolanos helps the Heat immensely.

But again, if they thought Leach could help the Flames, they would have had room for him

Edit: they mentioned the 50 contract limit to be nice - and to placate those who would say `why not sign him anyway?``
I agree with this completely.
I don't like Kolanos in the NHL, I love him in Abb; and older guy who can score, who can really help out kids we draft/bring in.

If Feaster and the rest of the Flames head guys thought that Mr. Leach was going to be part of Calgary... They'd find that room they required.

Volica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

I guess he could always be signed to an AHL deal with the Heat if he doesn't get re-drafted.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
I guess he could always be signed to an AHL deal with the Heat if he doesn't get re-drafted.
or sign another undrafted player to an AHL deal. With the 50 contract limit it only makes sense to sign guys to ELCs that have a shot to play in the NHL during that contract, even if its just a few games. Maybe it won't be as difficult in a year or 2 when we rid ourselves of the ELCs that have no NHL shot like Cameron, Wahl (although I blame the concussion), Patterson..... etc

Old
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Not really a big loss since Leach never projected to be more than a bottom pairing defensemen but still, a weak defensive prospect pool gets even weaker, albeit just slightly. Lots of reason to think the Flames will draft a defensemen if one of big names fall or if it's a close call between a forward and defensemen in terms of BPA.

I agree though that the Flames would found the contract room for him if they thought he was worth it.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
the grudges you hold for moves you do not like are hilarious...If they wanted to sign Leach they would have found room for him. Give it a rest dude...

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Overreact much?

They're not at the 50 contract limit. As of July 1, the Flames will have 37 players under contract, and another 8 players who will be restricted free agents. Assuming they are all signed (and they probably won't be) that adds up to 45 contracts.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

The 50 contract limit issue was not a `hard`problem in that they already have 50 contracts so they can`t sign him. It was merely a reminder that it is a LIMIT and as such, choices have to be made.

It does, however, beg another question: What do they plan to do with their 50 contracts? They have stated that they would prefer to sit at around 47 or 48 - fair enough (and a good call).

So they are currently at 37. Plus there are 8 RFAs of which I would guess that they will re-sign 6. That makes 43, leaving room for 4 more.

Obviously there will be UFA interest. There is also an outside chance that Ramo comes over this summer, I suppose.

Maybe they want to save room for a one-big-player-for-several-player swaps? (i.e. Iggy, Kipper or JBo?)

Old
05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Overreact much?

They're not at the 50 contract limit. As of July 1, the Flames will have 37 players under contract, and another 8 players who will be restricted free agents. Assuming they are all signed (and they probably won't be) that adds up to 45 contracts.
they definitely will not all be re-signed, I think its safe to say that MacMillan and Grantham are done with this organization

Old
05-30-2012, 05:10 PM
johnnystormcgy

They would have had plenty of time to see him, while watching Reinhart and during his PTO with the Heat. He probably just didnt develop enough to warrent a contract I guess there was probably no room on the Heat's blueline and you cant just sign him and leave him in the dub for another year. This sucks because our defensemen depth is so crappy. I think no matter what he's going to be playing in the dub next year as an overager, unless some other team has a really weak AHL blueline.

johnnystormcgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I can't say I'll lose any sleep over this one.

Like some of you have said - if the Flames really liked what they saw, he'd be signed.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 05:17 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Lol what? The Flames will have 37 contracts this off season, if they wanted to keep him they would have.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:19 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I too had a good laugh. One of the best threads this year.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Medium Rare*

I think the most telling part of what Weisbrod said was what he didn't say.

Instead of saying he projects to be a good NHLer like most management types say, Weisbrod said he will "make a good pro". This tells me they don't project him to be an NHLer

Old
05-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Ynnek

vCash: 177
Its not like he's Brian Leetch its Joey Leach!!! Calm down have some chips, dip and pepsi and relax. Were replacing him with Schultz anyway.

Ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

I'm really unhappy with this announcement. It's not like we have much of a defensive prospect pool. Someone else WILL sign him, I can practically guarantee it, unless his play has dropped off sharply in the past year since I saw him last.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'm not a fan of this move. While Leach isn't considered to be a 'top prospect' he is an above average player. We lack defensive depth and all players develop at different rates and I think it was way to early to give up on Leach. Look at Giordano for example, he didn't even get drafted. The Flames will not be hard up against the contract limit going into next year so I don't see what the problem is.

I wouldn't classify this as a huge loss, but at the same time I don't see the sense in it. If you keep him, and he continues his development then you have a positive asset. If he doesn't pan out, then you cut him loose like we did to Pelech. Alot can happen to a player in 3-4 years and IF Leach becomes an NHL'er this move is going to become a very poor decision when you consider our prospect depth at D is a weak point.

Leach is a good player, and he has progressed every year which is why I find this puzzling. Obviously the Flames management wasn't all that impressed with him. I kind of agree with MR that maybe management thought he looked out of place in his tryout with the Heat.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 09:17 PM
OrrwastheBeatles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
The Flames will not be hard up against the contract limit going into next year so I don't see what the problem is.

I kind of agree with MR that maybe management thought he looked out of place in his tryout with the Heat.
First, the second point, I think that we can surmise that that is what happened.

To the first point, I think we have to wait and see - if they don't expect to be near the limit, I think they would have concluded that there was no harm in signing him.

Which makes me think that they expect that they might be using those spaces.

One possible scenario that comes to mind is a 3 for 1 type trade (i.e. Iggy for X and Y and Z).

I think they may be keeping some powder dry.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:57 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Don't like it whatsoever.

Leach has done nothing but progress his game since being drafted. We are lacking in prospects on the back end as is. He is fairly mobile for his size and has a good first pass.

What irk's me even more about it is that he was not even given an opportunity to play a game for the Heat at the end of the season.

I will not lose any sleep over it, but I see very little downside on taking a flyer on him. Poor decision in my opinion.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Don't like it whatsoever.

Leach has done nothing but progress his game since being drafted. We are lacking in prospects on the back end as is. He is fairly mobile for his size and has a good first pass.

What irk's me even more about it is that he was not even given an opportunity to play a game for the Heat at the end of the season.

I will not lose any sleep over it, but I see very little downside on taking a flyer on him. Poor decision in my opinion.
Exactly, I'm really confused by the move. I actually quite like Leach and I was happy with his progression and that the Flames had him. He has a really nice overall game and has a pretty good hockey IQ.

These are guys I wouldn't bring back next year on the Heat:

MacMillan (RFA)
Henry (UFA)
Ivanans (UFA)
Leblond (UFA)
Meyer (UFA)

Then the following year, these are guys who probably won't be back either:

Cameron (RFA)
Wahl (RFA) 50/50
Carson (UFA)
Patterson (RFA)
Walter (UFA)
Kolanos (UFA) 50/50
Piskula (UFA) 50/50

Thats a total of potentially 12 contracts we have will probably have coming off our farm team alone. Its not as if Leach has suffered some kind of career threatening injury or just simply has not been developing. This isn't on the scale of us losing Erixon, but based on our lack of good defensive prospects I find this move to be a real head scratcher.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
It has nothing to do with Kolanos as it wouldn't start till July 1st it does however have to do with the fact that at this point he has no spot in the organization. In fact if the Flames didn't think he had a spot and still signed him just because he was a 3rd round pick that would be bad asset management.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Kolanos actually played for the Flames this year. Leach probably doesn't even make the Heat roster next year. Clearly he has some potential as a big body that can skate, but he never stood out enough in a league where 19 year old players who are signed to NHL deals should. I've watched Leach play lots. He always struck me as a bottom 6 guy at best. Those guys are a dime a dozen. We can sign a 28 year old who is already developed into what Leach will be for under a million.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote