HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2012 Summer Development Camp

Old
07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Revelate

vCash: 500
Did anyone see Roy's interview from the other day? Guy comes of like kind of a *****. In a good way.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
How does San Jose , who has one of the prospect pools in the league, let Phil Varone walk away without signing him. The guy is a player and I think we are going to have to have the discussion about him playing in the bottom six for the Sabres in the next couple years. Small but very stocky. He has terrific hockey sense and is a real hard worker.

Was glad I went to the scrimmage tonight.

-Another year in Quebec will do wonders for Grigerenko. More strength will allow him to dominate and make those terrific feeds. His hands are world class.
-Armia has the size and skills but he looked a little tired as did a lot of the guys after the tough week.
-Foligno jerseys dominate the arena but I think Girgs jerseys will rival them pretty soon.
-I hope Roy gets a chance, he earns it with his work ethic
-Hopefully Wise gets a shot at an AHL tryout as well, he worked hard tonight and made his breaks.
-Nelson looks like he has a tenacious game that might let him go pro
-Sundher works hard and uses his speed well
-Cat is tenacious and has great wheels. The wing might suit him.
-Pysyk, Leduc and Mcnabb should grow nicely as a group in Rochester this year.
-I thought Hodgson played well out there. Very many heady setups which were just missed being knocked in.
- I like Peterson's speed and puck skills. Might be a sleeper.
-Navin is a solidly built kid with pro potential down the road.
I still think Foligno jerseys will be dominant because Daddy Mike F. played here... Foligno love

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:26 PM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I met none of you I probably saw a lot of you. I was wearing a black AGH with #81 on the back. I saw Cody Hodgson driving too. I didn't make the connection till he was already in front of us
Were you the fellow with J. Neal on the back?

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Were you the fellow with J. Neal on the back?
YES. and I will tell you why. The turd that sold the jersey to me (ebay) told me SATAN was on the back. Then, I got it and it wasn't there. i havent had a chance to change it yet. So i just said it was my first initial and last name.
Edit: next time I don it, it will have SATAN on the back. I promise.

Last edited by Silence Of The Plams: 07-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old
07-12-2012, 11:40 PM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Quote:
YES. and I will tell you why. The turd that sold the jersey to me (ebay) told me SATAN was on the back. Then, I got it and it wasn't there. i havent had a chance to change it yet. So i just said it was my first initial and last name.
Edit: next time I don it, it will have SATAN on the back. I promise.
I saw it while walking in the hall, but couldn't remember the details. No judgement here!

Looking at your photos, I was sitting in the 200s behind you, so the back of your head is likely in a couple of my shots.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
I saw it while walking in the hall, but couldn't remember the details. No judgement here!

Looking at your photos, I was sitting in the 200s behind you, so the back of your head is likely in a couple of my shots.
good to know

Yeah I was pretty steamed when i saw J. Neal on the back lol.
I heard guys talking about Denny's behind me and couldn't help to think that they maybe were HF'ers, lol

Old
07-13-2012, 12:03 AM
ttcminaker

Wise mentioned in his interview that they have another game to play tomorrow. Is there a scrimmage on Friday that is open to the public?

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 586
is there a 2nd Scrimmage?

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbe42 View Post
is there a 2nd Scrimmage?
Not that I know of... I heard Jay Moran say that the next time we come itll be in october

Old
07-13-2012, 12:23 AM
jfb392

Just going down the roster sheet I got..:

Adam - Looks like he actually did improve his skating. Balance is better, seems less top heavy and doesn't lumber about as much. Seems to keep his stick on the ice more, which was something that I really hated in prior years. Puck handling seems improved as a result.
Armia - Puck skills were evident and I think he's improved on his heavy feet, looked really good with Girgensons and Grigorenko
Boychuk - Surprisingly, he really stood out. Was moving well and protected the puck, showed off some skill at times. It's a shame they didn't send him back for his OA year in the Dub and wasted a whole season of development.
Catenacci - Speedy as usual, but didn't stand out for me other than that.
Flynn - Didn't really notice him. Disappointing for an older guy.
Foligno - He came to play tonight. Had a couple big hits and played hard. Unfortunately missed his empty net chance.
Girgensons - Was not surprised at all with how he did tonight. What everyone else saw and is raving about is why I wanted him so bad, even over guys like Faksa. Like Foligno, he came to play tonight.
Grigorenko - Got better as the game when on, I think. He flashed his world class skill but looked like he needed to continue to get stronger, which is understandable considering his last few months.
Hodgson - Looked a bit less laborious than the end of last season, hopefully his first real summer of training will help him out a lot. Showed everything he's known for but didn't get the results.
Isackson - Showed off some good skill and tenacity. Was surprised to see him cut the net during the second period I believe since he's a bit smaller. Best of the project types.
Jacobs - Didn't notice him until the third. I really liked this kid but his stock has been dropping like a rock for like 18 months straight now.
Jean - Wasn't there but he's on the roster still.
Jokinen - Scored a goal, but see ya.
Kea - Worked well with Roy and Wise. Showed more skill than his statline showed like the staff said after drafting him. Maybe there's something there.
Lagacé - Got crushed by Tropp and looked woozy, but scored on the PS. Showed up at times and then didn't make anything of his chances. Status quo - nothing's there and nothing will ever be there.
Navin - Thought he was the second best of the project guys after Isackson. Worked well down low and went to the net a few times, showed decent skill level. Looks like a stocky kid too. Jury is out for now.
Nelson - Showed some nice skill at times and has a willingness to get a bit dirty. Got belted hard by Foligno towards the end of the 5-on-5 portion of the third. Still a fringe guy for me but we'll see where he goes.
Parker - You can see the skill but he lacks sense. Stood out the most on a line that was mostly invisible (Flynn and Jacobs), but that's not saying much.
Peterson - I've never seen him but he left a good first impression. Some skill and tenacity there. Looked a bit overwhelmed at times but he's got time.
Roy - Loved his compete, intensity, and skill. Really brought it tonight and deserves a main camp invite for his work this week.
Sundher - Showed off his speed and I liked that he's starting to become more than just a perimeter player of late but failed to show off his skill tonight.
Tropp - Worked hard and had some chances but didn't bury. You could tell he was one of the older guys out there.
Varone - Love his puck skills and sense but he looks tiny as far as height goes live. Didn't have much to show for it tonight, though.
Wise - Would have been a positive even without the trick, but that probably makes his overall performance more noticeable. Send out his main camp invite at the same time as Roy's and give him another look.

Adams - Didn't play.
Austin - Didn't play.
Braid - Didn't notice really notice him.
Crawford - Started out well and faded as the game went on I thought. Had a few bombs that missed the net.
Czuczman - Another that I didn't really notice.
Fienhage - He's never going to be much of anything in the NHL, but at least it looks like he's taken the conditioning program they have him on to heart. Much improved from previous performances.
Gauthier-Leduc - The most notable defenseman out there. Showed off his skills tonight and launched a few cannons.
Lepkowski - Yet another barely noticeable. Understandable since it's probably been a tough go of late for him with his dad.
MacKenzie - Looked good after bouncing up and down this season and suffering that skate cut injury. Wasn't exactly his old self all of the time but at least he looked like he's going in the right direction.
McCabe - Had a bit of a rough go, I thought, but got better as the game went on. Seemed to struggled early with the puck.
McNabb - Still needs to work on that skating, which he'll be doing soon, but seemed to make better and safer decisions. Had some humongous wind ups on his slappers.
Pysyk - Typical Pysyk. Smart and steady, less is more. Not much else you can say.

Guggenberger - Wasn't really tested that much but did hold strong when Gold made a push during the latter part of the third. Don't know if he's worthy of a contract or another camp invite though.
Knapp - Was better than Lieuwen, but that's not saying a lot. Missed some of his performance because I got there a bit late but seemed shaky until he left the net.
Lieuwen - Like Knapp, missed some of his performance, but seemed to be all over the place tonight. Too many rebounds given up and handcuffed too many times. Left in a couple weak ones too.
Ullmark - Gave up a bunch of goals but deserved better. Was really impressed with his poise and technique. Made three stops in quick succession right after he came into the game that stuck in my mind. There may be something here.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
- Got the worst seats in the arena, I swear. There was the manchild type thing eating nachos that thought it was the "worst Sabres game ever". Thought Armia was a power forward. Called Grigorenko "Grigorgranko". Even though I called him a manchild, I think he was older. The guys behind me were fans of John Scott. One of them thought he was brought in to replace Gaustad. They were the "shoot" type of people and thought everyone was going to get cut. "This Guggenberger guy is better than Ryan at least". This is why we can't have nice things.
- Bakes purposely ignoring me and admitting it was cool. Wait until he hears that I pushed his site to someone in line after they mentioned him and told them he was "one of the good guys"..
- Typing this up makes me realize I remember so many pointless things. I'm only good at **** that is completely useless.

Last edited by jfb392: 07-13-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Forgot a word. A single word.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 586
Quote:
Not that I know of... I heard Jay Moran say that the next time we come itll be in october
jamie wise was talking about a rematch .. i'm confused lol

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:

Hmm..well if this is true sign me up! But I just repeated what Moran said

Old
07-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Had a blast at the scrimmage today, it was great. Loved the fact we were given replays and all the highlights are online.

Now, to empty the noggin:

Team Blue:

- Grigorenko: Probably the player I focused on the most, and honestly was kind of disappointed. If I had not specifically focused on him, I don't know if I would've even noticed him. Skill level is insane and clearly there, but he had almost no chances. There was one moment late in the game where he gathered the puck and looked like he said to himself he was taking over, and made a pretty brilliant pass to Fienhage for a goal. While it was nice, you kind of had to ask yourself where that was all game, and I believe it was when they went to 4-on-4 for a few minutes at the end when he did it. He did have an unbelievable goal in the shootout to cap off his night, though.

- Girgensons: For my thoughts after the first practise I brought up a quote where someone said "he's the kind of player that doesn't wow you in practise, but does everything in games", and based on watching him in each, that looks to be 100% accurate. It was unfortunate we couldn't see him at center, although I'm not arguing with them using Grigs in that spot instead, but there isn't much doubt in my mind he was the most NHL ready prospect (Not really counting Hodgson, Foligno, Adam, Tropp, McNabb as prospects in that sense) at this camp. Always finishes his checks, always back checking, rarely seen making mistakes. He had a great goal which I'm sure most of you saw watching the highlights, but he is still pretty raw offensively. While I think he could do fine as a bottom six checking winger this season, I definitely wouldn't keep him up unless he's head and shoulders above everyone in camp. Really looks like he has the potential to be one of the best 3rd line centers in the league.

- Armia: Unfortunately like Grigo, wasn't greatly impressed with Armia. Ridiculous shot and hands were both visible, but he clearly needs to adjust to the North American game more. While he did have some successful dangles, he needs to learn to not rely completely on his ability to deke to get out of situations or past defenders; a little chip-n-chase wouldn't hurt. Kinda scared me how Vanek-esque it was when he clearly got pissed off his dangles weren't working, so he went angry-Vanek and started hitting.

- Foligno: His usual power forward self. Don't really seem to remember him doing all that much on the offensive end, but he was hitting everything that moved. Already a fan favourite, a lot of people seem to have his jersey.

- Wise: How about my fellow Stouffville HS alumni? Obviously had the hat trick and I thought he had a great game all around. His fake slapshot on the penalty shot literally fooled the entire arena, ripped a nice wrister on his 2nd and had a hard working goal on the 3rd. He was always finishing his hits and some of the players were actually getting annoyed at him - not really sure if that's a good or bad thing. Really hope Rochester gives him some kind of look.

- Pysyk: The same "not great in practise, great in games" thing applied to Pysyk as well, and I left extremely impressed with his game. Can't get over how smooth of a skater he is, and his poise is simply remarkable. Absolutely never panics with the puck, and makes great outlet passes. He'll last a long time in the NHL, and I think his style of play would make for the perfect partner for guys like Myers and Ehrhoff. Having a mistake-free guy who doesn't take many risks would allow those two to really do what they do best and fly around the ice. Would consider him NHL ready right now, but obviously he's the 9th or 10th guy on the list, however I won't be surprised if this time next year Darcy's letting guys walk/trading players to make room for Pysyk on the roster.

- McNabb: It's crazy how far he's come in such a short period of time. Didn't notice him much, but in a good way. The only time he got beat seemingly the entire game was when Hodgson dangled him after going for a hit, otherwise he played a very steady, solid shut-down game. He looked incredibly confident out there, too.

Team Gold:

- Hodgson: Thought he was the best forward on the ice, showed off his skill on quite a few occurrences, battled for the puck all night, and he even absolutely toasted two guys on a breakaway that left everyone saying "This guy is too slow?" Pulled a pretty sweet dangle through McNabb's legs, even got mad at himself for missing the net on a penalty shot, where he had the goalie beat on a really nice move but just put it high.

- Adam and Tropp: Lumping these two together, because for whatever reason, I barely seemed to notice these two. I was beginning to wonder if they were even getting shifts or something, I'd say maybe the names were harder to see on the gold jerseys but I know most of them by their equipment, so I really have no idea what to say. Tropp had a bit hit on Lagace, and I guess Adam looks a bit better on his skates, but not much else I can really think of.

- Catenacci: As long as the Sabres roll three scoring lines, there's a spot in the NHL for this guy. Incredibly fast, very skilled and plays with an edge.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:04 AM
joshjull

Awesome job by all the posters with updates throughout the week and tonight.

Thanks

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:47 AM
PuckSim8

Quote:

The prospect camp still goes on tomorrow but it's closed to the public, so they're probably scrimmaging again tomorrow.

PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 01:48 AM
cybresabre
Registred usre

Old
07-13-2012, 06:30 AM
beerme1

I would like to add I was surprised with the amount of hitting that was going on.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 07:08 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Was that Ullmark who made the toe save on Varone in the shootout? Very impressive focus and agility.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Just going down the roster sheet I got..:

Adam - Looks like he actually did improve his skating. Balance is better, seems less top heavy and doesn't lumber about as much. Seems to keep his stick on the ice more, which was something that I really hated in prior years. Puck handling seems improved as a result.
Armia - Puck skills were evident and I think he's improved on his heavy feet, looked really good with Girgensons and Grigorenko
Boychuk - Surprisingly, he really stood out. Was moving well and protected the puck, showed off some skill at times. It's a shame they didn't send him back for his OA year in the Dub and wasted a whole season of development.
Catenacci - Speedy as usual, but didn't stand out for me other than that.
Flynn - Didn't really notice him. Disappointing for an older guy.
Foligno - He came to play tonight. Had a couple big hits and played hard. Unfortunately missed his empty net chance.
Girgensons - Was not surprised at all with how he did tonight. What everyone else saw and is raving about is why I wanted him so bad, even over guys like Faksa. Like Foligno, he came to play tonight.
Grigorenko - Got better as the game when on, I think. He flashed his world class skill but looked like he needed to continue to get stronger, which is understandable considering his last few months.
Hodgson - Looked a bit less laborious than the end of last season, hopefully his first real summer of training will help him out a lot. Showed everything he's known for but didn't get the results.
Isackson - Showed off some good skill and tenacity. Was surprised to see him cut the net during the second period I believe since he's a bit smaller. Best of the project types.
Jacobs - Didn't notice him until the third. I really liked this kid but his stock has been dropping like a rock for like 18 months straight now.
Jean - Wasn't there but he's on the roster still.
Jokinen - Scored a goal, but see ya.
Kea - Worked well with Roy and Wise. Showed more skill than his statline showed like the staff said after drafting him. Maybe there's something there.
Lagacé - Got crushed by Tropp and looked woozy, but scored on the PS. Showed up at times and then didn't make anything of his chances. Status quo - nothing's there and nothing will ever be there.
Navin - Thought he was the second best of the project guys after Isackson. Worked well down low and went to the net a few times, showed decent skill level. Looks like a stocky kid too. Jury is out for now.
Nelson - Showed some nice skill at times and has a willingness to get a bit dirty. Got belted hard by Foligno towards the end of the 5-on-5 portion of the third. Still a fringe guy for me but we'll see where he goes.
Parker - You can see the skill but he lacks sense. Stood out the most on a line that was mostly invisible (Flynn and Jacobs), but that's not saying much.
Peterson - I've never seen him but he left a good first impression. Some skill and tenacity there. Looked a bit overwhelmed at times but he's got time.
Roy - Loved his compete, intensity, and skill. Really brought it tonight and deserves a main camp invite for his work this week.
Sundher - Showed off his speed and I liked that he's starting to become more than just a perimeter player of late but failed to show off his skill tonight.
Tropp - Worked hard and had some chances but didn't bury. You could tell he was one of the older guys out there.
Varone - Love his puck skills and sense but he looks tiny as far as height goes live. Didn't have much to show for it tonight, though.
Wise - Would have been a positive even without the trick, but that probably makes his overall performance more noticeable. Send out his main camp invite at the same time as Roy's and give him another look.

Adams - Didn't play.
Austin - Didn't play.
Braid - Didn't notice really notice him.
Crawford - Started out well and faded as the game went on I thought. Had a few bombs that missed the net.
Czuczman - Another that I didn't really notice.
Fienhage - He's never going to be much of anything in the NHL, but at least it looks like he's taken the conditioning program they have him on to heart. Much improved from previous performances.
Gauthier-Leduc - The most notable defenseman out there. Showed off his skills tonight and launched a few cannons.
Lepkowski - Yet another barely noticeable. Understandable since it's probably been a tough go of late for him with his dad.
MacKenzie - Looked good after bouncing up and down this season and suffering that skate cut injury. Wasn't exactly his old self all of the time but at least he looked like he's going in the right direction.
McCabe - Had a bit of a rough go, I thought, but got better as the game went on. Seemed to struggled early with the puck.
McNabb - Still needs to work on that skating, which he'll be doing soon, but seemed to make better and safer decisions. Had some humongous wind ups on his slappers.
Pysyk - Typical Pysyk. Smart and steady, less is more. Not much else you can say.

Guggenberger - Wasn't really tested that much but did hold strong when Gold made a push during the latter part of the third. Don't know if he's worthy of a contract or another camp invite though.
Knapp - Was better than Lieuwen, but that's not saying a lot. Missed some of his performance because I got there a bit late but seemed shaky until he left the net.
Lieuwen - Like Knapp, missed some of his performance, but seemed to be all over the place tonight. Too many rebounds given up and handcuffed too many times. Left in a couple weak ones too.
Ullmark - Gave up a bunch of goals but deserved better. Was really impressed with his poise and technique. Made three stops in quick succession right after he came into the game that stuck in my mind. There may be something here.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
- Got the worst seats in the arena, I swear. There was the manchild type thing eating nachos that thought it was the "worst Sabres game ever". Thought Armia was a power forward. Called Grigorenko "Grigorgranko". Even though I called him a manchild, I think he was older. The guys behind me were fans of John Scott. One of them thought he was brought in to replace Gaustad. They were the "shoot" type of people and thought everyone was going to get cut. "This Guggenberger guy is better than Ryan at least". This is why we can't have nice things.
- Bakes purposely ignoring me and admitting it was cool. Wait until he hears that I pushed his site to someone in line after they mentioned him and told them he was "one of the good guys"..
- Typing this up makes me realize I remember so many pointless things. I'm only good at **** that is completely useless.
Great write up. I was too busy getting into trouble with friends.

Roy and Wise should be getting training camp invites, definitely. I was also surprised by Braid taking the body a number of times as he's one of the smallest d-men on the roster and he got the better of a couple of forwards.

Jean shouldn't be on the roster, he signed with the Rangers last week after lighting up their Dev Camp every day.

I was up in club land and didn't have issues of people chanting "shoot" or "hit 'em!", they seemed to know who some of these guys were and were fairly enthusiastic to be watching the kids. The overall turnout just north of 5K was pretty cool -- at 10 bucks a head, they just paid for the week of having the arena chilled...

07-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
I would like to add I was surprised with the amount of hitting that was going on.
Considering these guys are basically having an extended interview/audition right now, they're going to show what they can do. Wise, Roy, Fienhage, Jokinen are all looking for pro deals right now, the rest want to leave an impression for the near future when they will be looking for a contract. That's going to dial things up when the guys looking to sign are more into the physical aspects of the game like Wise and Fienhage are (or are a little shift disturber like Roy), they're going to flash it. Foligno, Tropp both finish their hits, I think Kea will be a kid we talk about in the future when he finishes filling out as he was in the heavy traffic areas (sometimes he IS the heavy traffic with that body) but bouncing off.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:54 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Had a blast at the scrimmage today, it was great. Loved the fact we were given replays and all the highlights are online.

Now, to empty the noggin:

Team Blue:

- Grigorenko: Probably the player I focused on the most, and honestly was kind of disappointed. If I had not specifically focused on him, I don't know if I would've even noticed him. Skill level is insane and clearly there, but he had almost no chances. There was one moment late in the game where he gathered the puck and looked like he said to himself he was taking over, and made a pretty brilliant pass to Fienhage for a goal. While it was nice, you kind of had to ask yourself where that was all game, and I believe it was when they went to 4-on-4 for a few minutes at the end when he did it. He did have an unbelievable goal in the shootout to cap off his night, though.

- Girgensons: For my thoughts after the first practise I brought up a quote where someone said "he's the kind of player that doesn't wow you in practise, but does everything in games", and based on watching him in each, that looks to be 100% accurate. It was unfortunate we couldn't see him at center, although I'm not arguing with them using Grigs in that spot instead, but there isn't much doubt in my mind he was the most NHL ready prospect (Not really counting Hodgson, Foligno, Adam, Tropp, McNabb as prospects in that sense) at this camp. Always finishes his checks, always back checking, rarely seen making mistakes. He had a great goal which I'm sure most of you saw watching the highlights, but he is still pretty raw offensively. While I think he could do fine as a bottom six checking winger this season, I definitely wouldn't keep him up unless he's head and shoulders above everyone in camp. Really looks like he has the potential to be one of the best 3rd line centers in the league.

- Armia: Unfortunately like Grigo, wasn't greatly impressed with Armia. Ridiculous shot and hands were both visible, but he clearly needs to adjust to the North American game more. While he did have some successful dangles, he needs to learn to not rely completely on his ability to deke to get out of situations or past defenders; a little chip-n-chase wouldn't hurt. Kinda scared me how Vanek-esque it was when he clearly got pissed off his dangles weren't working, so he went angry-Vanek and started hitting.

- Foligno: His usual power forward self. Don't really seem to remember him doing all that much on the offensive end, but he was hitting everything that moved. Already a fan favourite, a lot of people seem to have his jersey.

- Wise: How about my fellow Stouffville HS alumni? Obviously had the hat trick and I thought he had a great game all around. His fake slapshot on the penalty shot literally fooled the entire arena, ripped a nice wrister on his 2nd and had a hard working goal on the 3rd. He was always finishing his hits and some of the players were actually getting annoyed at him - not really sure if that's a good or bad thing. Really hope Rochester gives him some kind of look.

- Pysyk: The same "not great in practise, great in games" thing applied to Pysyk as well, and I left extremely impressed with his game. Can't get over how smooth of a skater he is, and his poise is simply remarkable. Absolutely never panics with the puck, and makes great outlet passes. He'll last a long time in the NHL, and I think his style of play would make for the perfect partner for guys like Myers and Ehrhoff. Having a mistake-free guy who doesn't take many risks would allow those two to really do what they do best and fly around the ice. Would consider him NHL ready right now, but obviously he's the 9th or 10th guy on the list, however I won't be surprised if this time next year Darcy's letting guys walk/trading players to make room for Pysyk on the roster.

- McNabb: It's crazy how far he's come in such a short period of time. Didn't notice him much, but in a good way. The only time he got beat seemingly the entire game was when Hodgson dangled him after going for a hit, otherwise he played a very steady, solid shut-down game. He looked incredibly confident out there, too.

Team Gold:

- Hodgson: Thought he was the best forward on the ice, showed off his skill on quite a few occurrences, battled for the puck all night, and he even absolutely toasted two guys on a breakaway that left everyone saying "This guy is too slow?" Pulled a pretty sweet dangle through McNabb's legs, even got mad at himself for missing the net on a penalty shot, where he had the goalie beat on a really nice move but just put it high.

- Adam and Tropp: Lumping these two together, because for whatever reason, I barely seemed to notice these two. I was beginning to wonder if they were even getting shifts or something, I'd say maybe the names were harder to see on the gold jerseys but I know most of them by their equipment, so I really have no idea what to say. Tropp had a bit hit on Lagace, and I guess Adam looks a bit better on his skates, but not much else I can really think of.

- Catenacci: As long as the Sabres roll three scoring lines, there's a spot in the NHL for this guy. Incredibly fast, very skilled and plays with an edge.
He did wow me in practice. He wowed me with his effort, his being vocal, his being supportive of linemates, picking the brains of vets, going to the hard places and fighting for every inch and having some nice skill on top of that.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
How does San Jose , who has one of the prospect pools in the league, let Phil Varone walk away without signing him. The guy is a player and I think we are going to have to have the discussion about him playing in the bottom six for the Sabres in the next couple years. Small but very stocky. He has terrific hockey sense and is a real hard worker.
Not everyone is perfect in terms of projection, luckily for Rochester in this case.. And it's possible the Sharks brass didn't think they had either a contract for him or a position within their development roles since they had guys like Couture and Wingels entering their minor system at the same time. Heck, Buffalo does a pretty good job grinding out NHLers and they picked Paetsch over Wideman years ago due to not having an available AHL slot for both. It happens.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
threeVo

Had a good time at the skate, few things stuck out for me:

Czuzcman or "Suckman" as we called him was brutal all night, any turnover or bad pass seemed to be coming off his stick. Hes an invite im asuming

Psysk had the smoothest play of the day in the corner with a forechecker on his back he did a quick stop and jump to go from one shoulder to the other and steal the puck off the forecheckers stick in the corner and avoid the hit, then made a perfect outlet pass for the breakout. Much harder to do than it looks.

Ullmark has amazing coverage on the bottom half of the net. His length is a very big advantage and he made some toe saves tonight that not every goalie can come up with. Very snakebitten throught his 45mins tho

Girgensons is a stud, works hard, has hands, not afraid to play the body

Wise, besides the trick, was being a kaleta/ott type player getting his stick in guys chops and taking a few extra pushes behind the play. Def plays with grit and the goals were a bonus. Dont expect this guy to score more than 10g in the A tho.

Armia and Grigo couldnt really seem to get anything going, limited on space well by the opp dmen.

McCabe is going to be what Psysk is now in another 3 years. Very smart Dman with good sense, just needs to develop a faster pace to his movements

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
fightclubber25

Loved armia reminded me of a young nik bakstrom. Girgensons is ready for pro for sure. Can't get worse by playing college or minor first though. Ullmark really impressed me for a late round pick. He will be a star at some point in his career.. when or where is the question. Aside from that last night the kids looked tired and delayed. With rest and proper season prep the marquee guys would have looked like the future studs they are

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Posters are all over the map on Armia. Lots of praise that he was a dominant puck possession player, along with some criticism that he was invisible. Odd.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote