HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Summer Development Camp

Old
07-14-2012, 11:49 AM
heartsabres*

vCash: 500
Does this mean Jake McCabe was a terrible choice?

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
I think after the prospect camp there is no way anyone can have Grigorenko ranked ahead of Girgensons, he looked better and way closer to NHL ready. His 2 way game is great, works hard etc. I still Armia is our #1 prospect because of his extra year of development.

1a Armia
1b Foligno - will graduate this year
2 Girgensons
3 Grigorenko
4 Pysyk
5 McNabb
6 Adam
7 Leduc
8 Tropp
9 Cattenacci
10 TJB
IMO Grigorenko still has the higher ceiling. Girgensons is probably more NHL ready, but on potential you can certainly make the argument for Grigorenko. Girgensons likely tops out as a #2, maybe a bordeline #1. Grigorenko has the potential to be the stud #1 we've been clamoring for since...LaFontaine (well, I guess Briere...but Grigs could be better than him).

Also has Adam graduated based on games played? I forget what the maximum is (by HF standards).

I think the top 5-6 is going to be really hard to rank. And sadly, Pysyk will likely get the least love because he's simply not a flashy guy...when he's on you're more likely not to notice him at all because he plays a very smart game. I think Pysyk is going to a very good top 4 D-man for us for a long time.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
I think after the prospect camp there is no way anyone can have Grigorenko ranked ahead of Girgensons, he looked better and way closer to NHL ready. His 2 way game is great, works hard etc. I still Armia is our #1 prospect because of his extra year of development.

1a Armia
1b Foligno - will graduate this year
2 Girgensons
3 Grigorenko
4 Pysyk
5 McNabb
6 Adam
7 Leduc
8 Tropp
9 Cattenacci
10 TJB
While you're obviously free to weigh factors however you see fit, few people weigh how close to the NHL a guy is as strongly as this. Grigorenko can be seen as legitimately being a possible #1 center and that is far beyond the likely ceiling of Foligno. I also put Girgensons above Foligno because he has much more offensive talent. Love me some Foligno though, so I won't knock you placing him that high.

When I made my list I forgot Adam, made an edit to mention he should be included somewhere from 6-8, then remembered that he, as far as I know, graduated and removed the edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I think McCabe is a better prospect the Cattanacci and Brennan
Could well be a better prospect than Brennan, though I feel like we all sometimes shortchange Brennan quite a bit. The guy's a player and I hope he finds a good landing spot should the seemingly inevitable happen and he fails to take hold of a spot here. It's a hard comparison because neither is a high-end prospect, while Brennan has been developing forever and McCabe was just drafted. Tough call.

Cat is another tough call. I doubt Cat amounts to very much in the league offensively but he has the capacity, should he work on his game, to give depth offense as an energetic checking line player, likely at wing. Both players seem like they're safe NHL material.

Can't argue with you here but I wouldn't put him over these guys until he proves himself more.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:12 PM
tsujimoto74

Based on potential over NHL-readiness, I'd say:
1a) Grigorenko
1b) Armia
3) Girgensons
4) Pysyk
5) Foligno
6) McNabb
7) Gauthier-Leduc

As far as NHL-ready prospects go, Foligno is definitely graduating this year. Girgensons, Tropp, McNabb, and Pysyk all might see NHL time this year and graduate next year -- some more likely than others. Armia and Grigorenko could also both graduate next year.

ETA: Adam is considered a graduate already. But, if we're counting him, I'd put him in the same camp as Tropp-- likely to see some NHL time this year as a call-up when injuries happen. Could do well enough to stick, could not.

Edit #2: I also had a little bit of a hard time placing JGL, since I think he could be the most offensively potent talent we have on the blue line, but imo, his development curve is the hardest to project between him, Pysyk, and McNabb.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 07-14-2012 at 01:25 PM.
tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Does this mean Jake McCabe was a terrible choice?
Not at all. He did pretty well last year with Wisconsin as a freshman and will get a chance to step into a bigger role this year with Schultz going pro. There's no rush for him with McNabb, Pysyk, TJB, and JGL all closer to being NHL-ready/already having a log-jam at D, and that school has a good rep for developing solid defensemen.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Sabretip

Interesting article on Frederick Roy's potential:

Quote:
Roy tallied 26 times in 2010-11, 19 more than his rookie season. He became a junior star last year as a winger beside Mikhail Grigorenko, the talented Russian center the Sabres recently picked 12th overall, scoring 27 goals and 92 points.

The Sabres invited the 21-year-old Roy to their scouting combine following the season. That helped him earn a spot in development camp, where he had two assists during Thursday’s scrimmage. He’s hoping a strong showing will be rewarded with an AHL contract.

“That’s the goal right now,” Roy said.
Quote:
The younger Roy looks and sounds like Patrick Roy, an all-time great who won four Stanley Cups with Montreal and Colorado from 1985 to 2003. His spunk and tenacity are legendary.

Clearly, the father molded his son to play like him.

“He just taught me one way to play the game, and it’s the hard way, 100 percent every time I step foot on that ice,” said Frederick Roy, who called his father his role model. “I give my heart and soul to the team I’m playing with.”
Quote:
Roy could have an arduous road ahead to the NHL. His size – the Sabres list him at 5-foot-10 and 160 pounds – has clearly scared teams away. The snubs fuel him, however.

“I knew with my size teams weren’t willing to take a chance,” Roy said. “For me, it’s … good motivation for teams that didn’t draft me. Today I’m ready (for) whoever’s willing to take a chance on me. I’m going to take that chance and prove them wrong that they didn’t draft me.”
Quote:
Roy has already proven some critics wrong by developing into an elite junior talent. He ranked fourth in points last season in the QMJHL and his 65 assists ranked third.

“No one was expecting me when I came back to be at that point,” Roy said. “I knew what my capability was. I knew that if I worked hard, good things would happen. …

“And the way I play, I play a simple way. I don’t complicate my game. I go out there and I play the game the way it’s supposed to be. I back-check, I play a two-way game.”

Grigorenko’s presence also helped Roy reach a new level. The two played beside each other all season, forming a bond on and off the ice. As Roy spoke to a reporter Wednesday, Grigorenko waited close by for his friend.

He called Roy “one of the best linemates in my life” and a player who “makes you better.”

“He’s a great person,” Roy said about Grigorenko. “He’s a hard worker. We’ve got good chemistry together. We work really well together. … We love playing together. So it’d be a great opportunity for us to play together.”
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...am-with-Sabres

At first glance, one would think the Sabres would not commit to another smallish forward like Roy but they obviously saw enough in him to invite him to the camp and he apparently impressed in the camp. If Grigorenko is in the long-term plans, I'm curious if Regier may consider testing Roy out on a short-term, two-way contract and see if his size is an issue at the professional level. Ennis and Gerbe came through OK despite size limitations - and the bond between Roy and Grigorenko may be an appealing aspect.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So a bit of a wrap-up from seeing these guys for three practices and a scrimmage:

Luke Adam - looked refreshed and was finishing in traffic. As expected, was one of the on-ice leaders out there; had a good overall showing, something to build on going into the fall. Also, he was at LW, not center.

Joel Armia - big kid who moves well and can do some very creative things with the puck as was expected. Puck possession game along the wall or with speed in transition, he's going to be a definite offensive weapon in the NHL.

Riley Boychuk - good to see him bounce back from a ho-hum first pro year with a solid showing at camp. Of all of the guys from last year, he seemed the one who had improved his skating the most.

Dan Catenacci - was used at LW in camp, possible due to the plethora of centers which was new. Great speed is still there, displayed some finish as the camp went on. Kind of the lost man with all this new center depth, but he's still got speed to burn and good hands in tight which are things any team wants, including the Sabres.

Brian Flynn - seemed to start slowly but got into it by Day 3 and the scrimmage. Showed some footspeed and defensive ability.

Marcus Foligno - what's to say? He's going to be up with the big club and it looked it.

Zemgus Girgensons - vocal kid, one can get the sense of his leadership abilities from his on-ice demeanor. Wicked wrist shot stood out.

Mikhail Grigorenko - Possession game? Check. Passing and playmaking abilities? Check. Crackling shot? Check. Loved what I saw, even if he still needs more time to grow/mature. Watching him feed Armia certainly leads to daydreams of what could be.

Cody Hodgson - like Adam, one of the on-ice leaders out there. It was good to see him smiling, having a little fun when things were clicking with him and his line (Adam on LW, Tropp on RW).

Christian Isackson - goes into traffic and scores. Can elevate in tight, makes smart decisions in tight, and initiates contact. Another long-range type. Liked what I saw.

Colin Jacobs - good to see him on the ice for the first time in one of these. He's still going to have work to do, but the size is there at a real solid 215 to bull through traffic. He is a sleeper right now after sliding down the depth charts for Seattle last year. The tools are there, he's going to have to step up to use 'em.

Justin Jokinen - I was surprised he was here, honestly, after completing his fourth year at MnSt with a pedestrian 3 goal, 13 point season. That said... the kid moves well for someone who's 6'3" and he managed to find the net in the scrimmage and scrimmage situations in practice a number of times. I'm not sure what the future holds for him.

Justin Kea - large frame, long reach, feet always moving, gets around well for a big man. Regier singling him out in one of his press scrums was not accidental, this kid has the tools. Now he needs some meat on his bones.

Jacob Lagace - much more chatty than I recall, was noticeable for directing traffic. He's 22 and entering the final year of his ELC. He's going to have to step up or he'll be relugated to career minor leaguer by next summer.

Brad Navin - first time at camp, banged around a bit in traffic like we expected/hoped. Showed some playmaking ability from the sideboards and behind the net, keeps it simple. Still a work in progress, but there is something to like there for someone who likely has 2 or 3 more years left as a Badger.

Logan Nelson - good speed and gets that shot off in a hurry. Picks corners and can elevate it in tight. For me, the most pleasent surprise of Dev Camp among the forwards, even sporting that mullet.

Jonathan Parker - did not look like the same waterbug on speed he did last year at Dev Camp. His confidence could use a serious boost, maybe the scrimmage goal will help him on that path a bit.

Judd Peterson - this kid has some quick feet in tight and can motor over long distances. Another long-term project, but that speed is going to help him wherever he goes.

Frederick Roy - probably the best of the non-contract/non-drafted invitees. Scrappy, wins puck battles, makes plays in traffic, knows how to use his low center of gravity to absorb and more importantly initiate contact. I say he gets a camp invite and should be on the radar as a possible Varone-esque candidate for this year.

Kevin Sundher - worked in the middle and showed speed and hands to score in tight. They had him and Catennaci together and in some drills, the d-men were just over powered by the shear speed they had to deal with.

Corey Tropp - he's right on the cusp of making it full-time IMO. Fit in nicely with Adam and Hodgson, popped a few nice scorer's goals in drills and laid Lagace out in the scrimmage.

Phil Varone - seems to have the same jump and energy as he did last year. Not sure about the long-term, but he should be on the radar as an injury fill-in at center this year.

Jamie Wise - banger with some hands, scored in dirty areas and initiated contact as advertised. He too should be on their radar as a camp invitee and could likely be looking at a Legault or Gongalsky type of depth role for how he plays the game.

NOT ON THE ICE - Shawn Szydlowski. Not sure where he is or why he wasn't out there, but for whatever reason, he was not. Too bad for him, as he needs to rebuild his game after a disasterous rookie campaign with zero goals and only three tilts in the fight column.

07-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So a bit of a wrap-up from seeing these guys for three practices and a scrimmage:
No McCabe?

Thanks for the writeups, Chain.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
On defense:

Mackenzie Braid - initiates contact and has a really good stick defensively. Small/slightly built but does not play like it.

Nick Crawford - continues to move the puck well, could still use some more oomph when pinning guys out or trying to tie his check up in front of the net.

Kevin Czuczman - I have to admit, I wasn't paying any attention to this kid.

Corey Fienhage - outside of the broadsheets having his name mis-spelled every single day, he seems to have taken strides at the gym and was clearly the most robust physical defenseman on the ice through the week. Granted, as one of the oldest and most physically mature and also playing for a contract for next season... that's to be expected. I liked what I saw, perhaps only as a depth guy in the minors, but they need some people who bring the body while playing defense and he offers that.

Jerome Gauthier-Leduc - great shot, varies his selection to mirror the situation. Can score from the blueline or make a guy miss and get deep into the slot, really excelled in the 4-on-2 drills as the d-man joining.

Alex Lepkowski - took an early practice commentary from Patrick to heart about communicating and for the rest of the week, was one of the more vocal d-men out there. Given what's going on for him off the ice, his on-ice performance was pretty good. He's another one who makes contact, and there is a place for that here.

Matt MacKenzie - love this kid's willingness and coachability. Directing traffic with the younger guys, talking with the coaches (particularly Teppo and Patrick), making some contact in drills.

Jake McCabe - the skills are there, and he's loud out there. He struggled at times but there was no head-hanging, he came right back with effort each time. Given that he's got three more years at Wisconsin, let him slow-cook and see how he develops those tools over time.

Brayden McNabb - seemed to be taking it easier on his teammates physically. Feet look a little better, still a little heavy, but right there in terms of where he's going to be come the fall -- in contention for an NHL spot or first recall.

Mark Pysyk - smooth... composed... great stick... head up. If McNabb falters at all, he's going to have Pysyk jumping past him on the depth chart.

NOT ON THE ICE:
Mark Adams - perhaps still recovering from his late-season concussion, but no Roo this year.

Brady Austin - the Big Man from Bobcaygeon was not out there either and no reason has yet surfaced that I've seen or heard.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
In Net:

Mark Guggenberger - big guy, worked a lot with Corsi. Was burned the most by the various shooters.

Connor Knapp - still a bit raw, but all that size gives him the ability to cover a lot of net. Bakes likes to point out how calm he is in net and he showed that throughout. I'd like to see better technique tight against the pole, perhaps that will come.

Nathan Lieuwen - also big and still a bit raw, fights for his saves tenaciously. If they could combine his athleticism and Knapps technical ability, they'd have their new starter. I'd like to see him holding his position more and improve his glove hand if he can.

Linus Ullmark - it's too bad he got beat a few times in the scrimmage since that will color some people's judgement, but I thought he was the best of the four over the course of the full week. Wicked quick glove, quick feet, fills a lot of net at a "meager" 6'3". There's a lot to like with this kid right now.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
No McCabe?

Thanks for the writeups, Chain.
Broke it into sections for easier consumption. I have no issue with McCabe. There are skills there, what he needs to do is round off the rough edges and get stronger.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:11 AM
rkorchinski

Quote:
Joel Armia - big kid who moves well and can do some very creative things with the puck as was expected. Puck possession game along the wall or with speed in transition, he's going to be a definite offensive weapon in the NHL.
The more I hear about him sniping and being extremely strong with the puck, the more I think Jagr. For anyone who has seen him, is there any validity to a Jagr comparison?

rkorchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorchinski View Post
The more I hear about him sniping and being extremely strong with the puck, the more I think Jagr. For anyone who has seen him, is there any validity to a Jagr comparison?
I'm not a fan of direct player comparisons, but he's more of a Hossa or bigger/faster Vanek than Jagr. He's not shielding the puck with a wide-based stance like Jagr does so well. He's still maintaining possession and making plays though.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Thanks Chain. Nice job.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
In Net:

Mark Guggenberger - big guy, worked a lot with Corsi. Was burned the most by the various shooters.

Connor Knapp - still a bit raw, but all that size gives him the ability to cover a lot of net. Bakes likes to point out how calm he is in net and he showed that throughout. I'd like to see better technique tight against the pole, perhaps that will come.

Nathan Lieuwen - also big and still a bit raw, fights for his saves tenaciously. If they could combine his athleticism and Knapps technical ability, they'd have their new starter. I'd like to see him holding his position more and improve his glove hand if he can.

Linus Ullmark - it's too bad he got beat a few times in the scrimmage since that will color some people's judgement, but I thought he was the best of the four over the course of the full week. Wicked quick glove, quick feet, fills a lot of net at a "meager" 6'3". There's a lot to like with this kid right now.
I'm no expert, but I actually thought Guggenberger was the best goalie out there (along with Ullmark) the two days I went (Tuesday & Thursday). He never looked out of position and made some saves that he really probably shouldn't have.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Thanks Chain. Nice job.
Hear hear, thanks for the wrap-up Chain.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Welcome all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm29 View Post
I'm no expert, but I actually thought Guggenberger was the best goalie out there (along with Ullmark) the two days I went (Tuesday & Thursday). He never looked out of position and made some saves that he really probably shouldn't have.
I thought he got beat the most in drills in the three practice sessions. *shrug* He got better support in the scrimmage than I was expecting, though that one goal (Navin's IIRC) went right through him.

Agreed on Ullmark. The kid's got game.

Old
07-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
NOT ON THE ICE - Shawn Szydlowski. Not sure where he is or why he wasn't out there, but for whatever reason, he was not. Too bad for him, as he needs to rebuild his game after a disasterous rookie campaign with zero goals and only three tilts in the fight column.
He's recovering from surgery.
Quote:
Shawn Szydlowski ‏@Szydlowski19
On my way back home from Buffalo. Had a good time at camp and enjoyed seeing the boys. Wish I could have skated but surgery went well and I will be 100% for the start of the season..thanks for the wishes

Link: http://twitter.com/Szydlowski19/stat...69483742273536

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
I'm not a fan of direct player comparisons, but he's more of a Hossa or bigger/faster Vanek than Jagr. He's not shielding the puck with a wide-based stance like Jagr does so well. He's still maintaining possession and making plays though.
Chain, you've got me excited.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:46 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Agreed. He has that ability to protect the puck with his body well, forcing guys to try to go around him to get at it... and which point he just makes a move away from them. Definitely reminds me of Hossa in that regard.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
OcAirlines

So when will the next prospect-poll go up? Will it be at some-point in the offseason or after camp?

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Dubi Doo

I love Armias potential. He can be a difference maker in the NHL if he progresses. His wrist shot is nasty.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I love Armias potential. He can be a difference maker in the NHL if he progresses. His wrist shot is nasty.
Yea, he looked good and smooth in that scrimmage. Looking forward to him making the team in a year or two.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
He's recovering from surgery.
Figured it was something. Sucks that the official answer from the team per TBN was that none of them were injury related.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Note: Day 2 Shootout

Goalie = Ullmark:

Goalie = Knapp:

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote