HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Roster Next Year - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 250
Our division just took a bat to the knee. We'll get a top 3 seed.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:43 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Our division just took a bat to the knee. We'll get a top 3 seed.
I still have St. Louis as finishing ahead of us in the Central, though I do like our 4-6 chances.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:56 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I still have St. Louis as finishing ahead of us in the Central, though I do like our 4-6 chances.
I don't think their goaltending will perform as well.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:58 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

vCash: 500
I think we take the division this year.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
If the Hawks don't finish top 2 in the Central next year, I will be highly disappointed.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:52 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Stalberg(20G)Toews(37G)-Kane(28G)
Sharp(32G)Saad(18G)Hossa(27G)
Shaw(14G)Bolland(15G)Bickell(13G)

Old
07-13-2012, 02:30 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
I don't think their goaltending will perform as well.
It almost certainly won't be as good a goaltending performance but that doesn't knock the Blues below the Hawks in the standings on it's own. Far too much depth up front for the Blues with Tarasenko and most likely Schwartz joining the team this year. The team put up a really impressive record despite having only 25 games from Andy McDonald, 43 games from Alex Steen and 57 games from David Perron. I realize everyone has injuries, but with Tarasenko and Schwartz in the mix the Blues won't be nearly as susceptible at forward giving the offense a lot more stability. Basically you're looking at a group that's considerably more dangerous than last year even if injuries are similiar.

I don't think the Blues have made their presense felt yet this offseason which isn't surprising during the opening weeks of free agency. However, Armstrong is pursuing an impact LD via trade and if he's successful I don't think there's any question on the Central favorite being the Blues. Even if they just roll with Ian Cole as the 3rd LD, he's still an upgrade on Colaiacovo and enough to stay ahead of the Hawks IMO.

Would you guys mind giving me an idea of the Hawks changes going in to next season as of right now?

Old
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

STL = a team that benefited from the coaching change and overachieved
CHI = a team that needs more time and underachieved

STL will be good, but they won't win the divison again

Old
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
STL = a team that benefited from the coaching change and overachieved
CHI = a team that needs more time and underachieved

STL will be good, but they won't win the divison again
I agree with Bubba. I don't think there is a chance that the Blues can beat us out again. I think the Blackhawks are the better team, and next year will prove that St. Louis can't keep up with them, as they were just a team on a lucky hot streak.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
It almost certainly won't be as good a goaltending performance but that doesn't knock the Blues below the Hawks in the standings on it's own. Far too much depth up front for the Blues with Tarasenko and most likely Schwartz joining the team this year. The team put up a really impressive record despite having only 25 games from Andy McDonald, 43 games from Alex Steen and 57 games from David Perron. I realize everyone has injuries, but with Tarasenko and Schwartz in the mix the Blues won't be nearly as susceptible at forward giving the offense a lot more stability. Basically you're looking at a group that's considerably more dangerous than last year even if injuries are similiar.

I don't think the Blues have made their presense felt yet this offseason which isn't surprising during the opening weeks of free agency. However, Armstrong is pursuing an impact LD via trade and if he's successful I don't think there's any question on the Central favorite being the Blues. Even if they just roll with Ian Cole as the 3rd LD, he's still an upgrade on Colaiacovo and enough to stay ahead of the Hawks IMO.

Would you guys mind giving me an idea of the Hawks changes going in to next season as of right now?
No changes other than Brookbank as our #6 D man, but we are banking on Toews being healthy, Kane and Keith coming back into form, and Crawford reverting back to 10-11 form as well. I think everyone is downplaying how good the Blues will be, but if the Hawks play up to their full potential, it will be a race between the two for the Central division lead.

Plus, a third line of Beach-Bolland-Shaw is going to beat the piss out of a lot of teams.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

I remember the 08-09 season where the Blues made the playoffs and looked to be one of the best young teams in the league. Their fans were saying the same things then - that their team had faced a ton of injuries that year and, because of a healthier roster, would be even better next season.
The Blues proceeded to be mediocre and miss the playoffs in 09-10 and 10-11.

Point being, "we'll be healthier next year, and we were already good this year so logically we'll be better" is far from a guarantee.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I remember the 08-09 season where the Blues made the playoffs and looked to be one of the best young teams in the league. Their fans were saying the same things then - that their team had faced a ton of injuries that year and, because of a healthier roster, would be even better next season.
The Blues proceeded to be mediocre and miss the playoffs in 09-10 and 10-11.

Point being, "we'll be healthier next year, and we were already good this year so logically we'll be better" is far from a guarantee.
To play devil's advocate, that's what our posters are saying too. Though we do have a track record over the last five years.

Old
07-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
No changes other than Brookbank as our #6 D man, but we are banking on Toews being healthy, Kane and Keith coming back into form, and Crawford reverting back to 10-11 form as well. I think everyone is downplaying how good the Blues will be, but if the Hawks play up to their full potential, it will be a race between the two for the Central division lead.
The current roster either has a Calder favorite forward step up, fires the coach, trades for a goalie midseason, or, should none of that happen, will miss the playoffs.

This is not a contending roster under Quenneville.

Old
07-13-2012, 07:13 PM
DontToewzMeBro

You guys are going to
Like it when you see the likes of...

DOAN - TOEWS - KANE
SHARP- SAAD - HOSSA
SHAW-BOLLAND-VS

Old
07-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
To play devil's advocate, that's what our posters are saying too. Though we do have a track record over the last five years.
Posters here are saying that? Maybe the overly optimistic ones, but I'm not so sure about everyone else.

Personally I think if the roster remains the same as last year's (which as of today, it is), the results will be pretty much the same. Shade over 100 points, loss in the first or second round.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:54 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Posters here are saying that? Maybe the overly optimistic ones, but I'm not so sure about everyone else.

Personally I think if the roster remains the same as last year's (which as of today, it is), the results will be pretty much the same. Shade over 100 points, loss in the first or second round.
Even if the roster stays as it can be better. No Brunette. Bit more experience with Hayes & Shaw. Addition of Saad possibly. No Kruger in the top 6.

Crawford has to bounce back. Big if there. Hawks have good cap space for trades.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 07-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old
07-13-2012, 10:54 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post

Plus, a third line of Beach-Bolland-Shaw is going to beat the piss out of a lot of teams.
If the Hawks play up to their potential, they'll win the President's Trophy

Old
07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Even if the roster stays as it can be better. No Brunette. Bit more experience with Hayes & Shaw. Addition of Saad possibly. No Kruger in the top 6.

Crawford has to bounce back. Big if there. Hawks have good cap space for trades.
Yes, mostly question marks. This is true for every team in the NHL who has its roster stay mostly the same over the offseason (as the majority of teams do). If the stars align, all players rebound from bad years who had them, and some rookies step in and play great, then yeah - that team is going to be better.

But in all likelihood the Hawks will be a tiny bit worse, the same, or a tiny bit better than last year if the roster doesn't change.
If Crawford bounces back, that'd be awesome. But there are still several clearly better teams in the NHL even if he does.

And let's not hijack this thread into another Kruger discussion, but he could very well be in the top-6 next season (again, assuming the roster doesn't change) given Quenneville's inexplicably powerful inclination to play him there.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
If Keith returns to Norris form, Crawford regains his 10-11 consistency and ability, Kane comes back from the dead, Toews doesn't miss a quarter of the season, Hossa is still the same old Hossa, Sharp stays healthy and productive, Bolland doesn't disappear for a few months, Saad comes in and contributes like we all hope, Seabrook doesn't sway from how good he's been the past two years, Leddy progresses defensively, Oduya doesn't suck like he did in the playoffs, Stalberg has another good season rather than regressing, and the dunces behind the bench figure out how to run a successful powerplay and penalty kill with some of the better talent in the NHL to work with, then yes - the Hawks will probably win the President's Trophy.

Point is, the team just isn't good enough as things stand.
They're solid. An essential lock for a playoff spot barring a disaster. But they are clearly not in the first tier of "elite teams in the NHL..." that is if you ask me, anyway.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:25 PM
ndgt10

Quote:
Lmao! The Cup team didn't even win that. This team is significantly worse and won't sniff the Presidents Trophy. We will be lucky to make it past the 1st round.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:33 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Lmao! The Cup team didn't even win that. This team is significantly worse and won't sniff the Presidents Trophy. We will be lucky to make it past the 1st round.
LA, Vancouver, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and New York aren't that much better if at all.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
LA, Vancouver, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and New York aren't that much better if at all.
LA, Vancouver, and Pittsburgh are pretty clearly better teams than the Hawks as things currently stand.

On paper, that is. But that's all we have to go by.

Old
07-14-2012, 12:20 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Did you ever notice a dark cloud following you?

Old
07-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
You guys are going to
Like it when you see the likes of...

DOAN - TOEWS - KANE
SHARP- SAAD - HOSSA
SHAW-BOLLAND-VS
Why, so big face off in our zone after an icing so we can't change lines and we are hoping Saad wins a draw against our opponents #1 line. He better because behind him is Leddy, Oduya, Crawford.

No I don't like.

Old
07-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Beyond Minnesota yes they are. We don't have a #2 C, their #2 C are, Richards, Malkin, Kessler, and Stepan.

We don't have a goalie, they do, we don't have a sold 2nd pairing D, they do.

Their GM's are willing to make big moves that could be considered questionable to help their team win, we don't

They have coaches who are willing to change things if they aren't working, we don't.

Yes they are better.

Closed Thread