HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM interested in Hjalmarsson

Old
06-26-2012, 09:49 AM
dougd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
So...let me get this straight. Your forward ranks now consist of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Paajarvi, Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky, Omark, and god knows WTF else, and you need secondary scoring? That looks like primary, secondary, and TERTIARY scoring to ME. Holy christ.
Looks like you are taking offense to that post.

dougd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
As bad as it sounds, the Oilers are better off keeping Gagner than to trade him for a dman like Hjalmarsson.

They should shop the wingers, Hemsky and MPS first.
Best not shop them when their value is low, the Oilers still have high hopes for MPS. When Tambo talks about the Oilers top players he still mentions Mps's name. I see Hemsky being traded half way through the season, that's if he's not injured again.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
So...let me get this straight. Your forward ranks now consist of Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Paajarvi, Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky, Omark, and god knows WTF else, and you need secondary scoring? That looks like primary, secondary, and TERTIARY scoring to ME. Holy christ.
This is the problem

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Petrell

1. No idea if Hemsky can bounce back from a brutal season. He seems to be healthy but its still a question mark
2. Yakupov while being the first overall pick is still a question mark for production
3. Horcoff will produce if he's given 20+ minutes a game. Which I hope he does not. He should never see the PP again(2:52/g last season)
4. The 4th line is an energy line but I expect more out of Belanger.
5. Jones is the exception. He's a perfect 3rd liner

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How quickly chicago fans forget that magical 8 point night, that Sam ****ing Gagner treated you to.
An eight point night doesn't dramatically raise your stock. He still isn't with Hammer and a top Hawks prospect.

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Oilers biggest need is a Top pairing DMan... Hjalmarsson isn't that

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Oilers biggest need is a Top pairing DMan... Hjalmarsson isn't that
EDM is also short on a good depth Dman as per Tambo. Explains the interest in a player who might be on the outs in CHI.

I doubt that EDM breaks the bank on Hjalmarsson but would definately be interested in acquiring him.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
I'm not sure what you want out of him. He's 22, 5 years in the league, 45 points per season second line center. No, he hasn't cured cancer *yet, nor has he gone to the moon. He fought Francois Beauchemin (and lost) and Olli Jokinen (and won-ish). His FO% is improving. He's well liked, hard-working, intelligent and is able to find chemistry with most offensive players. He is what he is, a pretty good 2nd line center. What, exactly, do you expect from a 2nd line center that would be considered "of note"?

edit- also, he once scored 8 points in one MF'ing game. like a boss.
Would you be comfortable as Gagner on your 2nd line if your team is a serious competitor? I wouldn't.

Offensively - average
Defensively - below average
Phyical - below average
Face-off - below average

I realize that he's been in a volatile position (poor team, several coaches, lot of roster turnover), but he's reaching the age where WYSIWYG for forwards. I'm not saying he can't improve - but it's not like he's a player right now that a play-off team would want in their top 6 IMO.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Would you be comfortable as Gagner on your 2nd line if your team is a serious competitor? I wouldn't.

Offensively - average
Phyical - below average
Face-off - below average

I realize that he's been in a volatile position (poor team, several coaches, lot of roster turnover), but he's reaching the age where WYSIWYG for forwards. I'm not saying he can't improve - but it's not like he's a player right now that a play-off team would want in their top 6 IMO.
The same can be said for everyone on CHI minus Toews. Gagner's faceoff % is the same as Bolland and Sharp (48%) and is a much better option then Kane (42%).

I dont see why CHI cant go with Stalberg-Gagner-Kane as a 2nd line. (assuming Sharp-Toews-Hossa is the top line).

Edit: I realize Gagner is not ideal #2C for CHI but he would fill a need without costing an arm and a leg. Same with Hjalmarsson, not what EDM needs but cant hurt to have.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:02 AM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The same can be said for everyone on CHI minus Toews. Gagner's faceoff % is the same as Bolland and Sharp (48%) and is a much better option then Kane (42%).

I dont see why CHI cant go with Stalberg-Gagner-Kane as a 2nd line. (assuming Sharp-Toews-Hossa is the top line).
If Gagner came cheaply in trade and RFA deal, I wouldn't be opposed to starting the season with him as 2C.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:04 AM
5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I think that we of all teams are keenly aware that that's the only thing of note that Gagner has EVER done.
He's an average 2C. Above average offensively, above average for grit/toughness, average for size, below average on the dot and below average defensively. Not every team can have two all-star centers down the middle.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

Edit: I realize Gagner is not ideal #2C for CHI but he would fill a need without costing an arm and a leg. Same with Hjalmarsson, not what EDM needs but cant hurt to have.
That would be non-existent defensively. And this is not even a diss on Gagner out of those three. The first line reads deadly though.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

if the Oilers don't get Justin Schultz, i'd be happy to add Hjalmarsson even though he's expensive. i feel the Hawks can spare him, and they still are looking to fill the holes that were created when they had to purge their team after the cup victory. don't really know off hand what they would want in return that could make up some of the difference in salary.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
if the Oilers don't get Justin Schultz, i'd be happy to add Hjalmarsson even though he's expensive. i feel the Hawks can spare him, and they still are looking to fill the holes that were created when they had to purge their team after the cup victory. don't really know off hand what they would want in return that could make up some of the difference in salary.
Moving Hammer opens up a bigger hole on Hawks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:08 AM
OrrCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
Oilers wouldn't deal their 1st pick
True. Just in case they finish in the 'crapper' for the fourth year in a row

OrrCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:14 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrCam View Post
True. Just in case they finish in the 'crapper' for the fourth year in a row
Oil didn't finish last this year....

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post

Offensively - average
Phyical - below average
Face-off - below average

How is Gagner average offensively? He was in the top 30-40 range for center scoring, clearly well above average. He was 91st in 5x5/60 scoring rates. He had an 8 ****ing point game. He is clearly well above average. And that is to say nothing of his age.

Defensively he isn't a liability, he is not a defensive center either. He's a top 6 center meant for a scoring role. At 22 his game is only improving and his defensive game continues to improve.

Physical he is average. This is very exaggerated. This year he got much stronger and IMO outworked opponents more often than not. Combine with his average size and gritty style, i don't think this is true.

His faceoffs are respectable, and improving. Most young centers do not have very good numbers in the dot.

He's still very young, only 7 younger centers scored more than Gagner and 4 were the 1st centers taken in their draft (Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin, Hopkins). Clearly most centers do not break out by 22. Look at whre H.Sedin was at his age, i'll give you a hint it was much worse.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

McBain for Gagner?

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
McBain for Gagner?
Gagner's only 22 and has proven a lot already if you guys added a good prospect I would probably go for it though.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Gagner's only 22 and has proven a lot already if you guys added a good prospect I would probably go for it though.
The Oilers need Gagner more then they need McBain, I would think about it if they had another 2nd line C, but they don't.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Hjalmarsson to EDM makes a lot of sense. The price for him needs to be talked about. I think we can agree to this

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd View Post
Looks like you are taking offense to that post.
No...not at all. I just don't see where secondary scoring is a need of Edmonton's with that lineup. It would appear Edmonton should have other areas of greater concern than where goals are going to come from.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:08 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
No...not at all. I just don't see where secondary scoring is a need of Edmonton's with that lineup. It would appear Edmonton should have other areas of greater concern than where goals are going to come from.
appearances can be deceiving. People are always on Edmonton for their defence and goaltending but they had more trouble putting the put in the net than keeping it out last season. Part of it was Hall, Eberle and RNH mising time to injuries, but a part of it was also Smyth disappearing in the second half of the season, Hemsky having a terrible year and their defence not generating much offense at all. At the start of the year when Smyth could still bring it the Oilers could put out two lines that were a threat to score and their record reflected that, but as the season wore on there was really only one line at a time that could do anything offensively.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Skm

The only thing with targeting Hjalmarsson is that the Oilers already have Smid and Schultz who are very similar players (negligible offense, block a lot of shots, play the PK, no PP time, good defensive positioning and stick work). I actually like Hjalmarsson as a player but don't think it's worth it to give up assets for a slightly redundant player.

The Oilers need someone who can make a breakout pass to our forwards instead of firing it off the glass and praying for the best.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Doesnt Hjalmarsson make a stupid amount of money for a #5 guy?
Crosby makes a stupid amount of money for a #3C, but nobody in Pittsburgh is complaining.

That said, I agree that PMDs are more what the Oil needs.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:23 PM
dougd

Quote:
It was my attempt @ humour.

dougd is offline   Reply With Quote