HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Connolly to Chicago

Old
06-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
In before Leaf other fans laugh even harder that Buffalo signed a worse player than him for just 275 K less cap hit and for 4 years longer in Leino as his replacement.
Exactly this

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:28 PM
The Red Line

No way Burke would do this.

A 500k scrub pylon and a 3 million dollar AHL player.

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
hmm, I agree with BWC. What would Leaf fans think of Frolik for Connolly? Frolik's a reclamation project but he is young with 2 20 goal seasons to his name. Saves the Leafs some cap room.
That seems like something Burke would do in my opinion, I just don't know Frolik's game well enough to make an opinion on whether I want to do it or not haha.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
In before Leaf other fans laugh even harder that Buffalo signed a worse player than him for just 275 K less cap hit and for 4 years longer in Leino as his replacement.
At least Leino plays more than 15 games a year though?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Jamie Walker

Quote:
Connolly, Lombardi, JvR, etc. i think the leafs just might get 82 games from them this year (combined maybe) for how much $ ?

Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:45 PM
seanlinden

Something for Leafs fans to consider before throwing Connolly into proposals... the guy is a playmaker, in the purest sense, two of his biggest problems last year were that he rarely played with guys who could put the puck in the net or had the size to protect it in the corners.

You look at the Leafs group of forwards now with the addition of JvR, and they have 5 guys who can reasonably be expected to score 20+ goals... and that excludes Phil Kessel who can reasonably be expected to score 35+. Between Kessel, Grabovski, MacArthur, Lupul, Kulemin, and Van Riemsdyk, there's a lot of players who need the puck in shooting position, and only 1 centre in the group.

Unless Lombardi is going to step up and all of a sudden show that he has high end offensive ability, the Leafs are probably best served with Connolly and letting Colborne be the #1 callup when somebody gets hurt.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker View Post
Connolly, Lombardi, JvR, etc. i think the leafs just might get 82 games from them this year (combined maybe) for how much $ ?
JVR has one injury plagued season and now won't ever be able to stay healthy again?

Lombardi prior to getting concussed in the previous 4 seasons to his concussion had 3 full seasons and 1 season of 69 games. Even last year he played 62 games and only missed time due to a shoulder injury which isn't a chronic problem.

Connolly, is definitely a high injury risk and as bad as he was last year still outscored and outperformed Leino. Toronto will enjoy using him as a short term band aid and also enjoy the salary cap space that will open up once he leaves after next season when we actually need it and we can also look forward to the potential return that he could bring if we choose to trade him next deadline (at least a 2nd seems realistic considering that is what Moore and Kostitsyn went for this past year).

Buffalo fans meanwhile can look forward to years of having Leino and his contract that qualifies as one of the worst contracts in the league.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Don't fall for it, Chicago fans, it's a trap

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Please take him

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Something for Leafs fans to consider before throwing Connolly into proposals... the guy is a playmaker, in the purest sense, two of his biggest problems last year were that he rarely played with guys who could put the puck in the net or had the size to protect it in the corners.

You look at the Leafs group of forwards now with the addition of JvR, and they have 5 guys who can reasonably be expected to score 20+ goals... and that excludes Phil Kessel who can reasonably be expected to score 35+. Between Kessel, Grabovski, MacArthur, Lupul, Kulemin, and Van Riemsdyk, there's a lot of players who need the puck in shooting position, and only 1 centre in the group.

Unless Lombardi is going to step up and all of a sudden show that he has high end offensive ability, the Leafs are probably best served with Connolly and letting Colborne be the #1 callup when somebody gets hurt.
With Connolly everybody just looks at the salary and gets upset. Even last season many fans were upset with and everything always came back to his salary. But he only cost us cap space that we weren't using anywhere and can't be carried forward to the following year.

I challenge people to find tell me where else they'd have used the cap space that Connolly and even Lombardi took up last year without having to give up assets and in the case of Lombardi actually gaining a useful asset in Franson?

The Leafs still had lots of cap space to make deals by the deadline. Acquiring UFAs also normally requires overpaying UFAs especially if your not a very good team so I don't understand why Burke gets so much crap for doing the same thing that Buffalo did with Leino, Edmonton did with Hemsky, the Blue Jackets did with Wiz. If anything Burke is smarter than some of his GM counterparts cause he only signed Connolly to a very short term.

It's great to say just get rid of Connolly but if any team needs him this season it's the Leafs.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 06-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
I know that Chicago is looking for more depth down the middle. What do you guys think of adding Tim Connolly? He had a rough year in Toronto but historically this is a very skilled player. He is also coming up on a contract year so I imagine he will be playing with a little more gusto this year. Let me start it off.

To Chicago
Tim Connolly

To Toronto
Bryan Bickell
Rostislav Olesz

What do you think?
I'd do it. We can bury Frolik instead of Olesz then.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
With Connolly everybody just looks at the salary and gets upset. Even last season many fans were upset with and everything always came back to his salary. But he only cost us cap space that we weren't using anywhere and can't be carried forward to the following year.

I challenge people to find tell me where else they'd have used the cap space that Connolly and even Lombardi took up last year with having to give up assets and in the case of Lombardi actually gaining a useful asset in Franson?

The Leafs still had lots of cap space to make deals by the deadline. Acquiring UFAs also normally requires overpaying UFAs especially if your not a very good team so I don't understand why Burke gets so much crap for doing the same thing that Buffalo did with Leino, Edmonton did with Hemsky, the Blue Jackets did with Wiz. If anything Burke is smarter than some of his GM counterparts cause he only signed Connolly to a very short term.

It's great to say just get rid of Connolly but if any team needs him this season it's the Leafs.
Precisely... it's not like there's an abundance of centres available this year anyways. Infact, I think you could make the case that Connolly is better than any UFA centre there is this year. At the very least, he's more offensively gifted than anyone in that group.

Even if the Leafs ditched Connolly and his $4.75m, where the ******* would we spend it? Parise and Suter wouldn't sign here regardless of how much cap space we have, and there's really not a ton of other team needs.

Yeah, the team needs a #1 goaltender, but they've also got over $12m in space with about $6m in RFAs to sign. The new CBA realistically won't cause the cap to decrease more than $3-4m without an accompanying salary rollback, and if they can find a goalie, they can easily make the space by moving Lombardi who holds much less value to the Leafs than Connolly.

They've only gotta worry about Connolly from a cap standpoint if they've got a deal to bring in a high dollar centre to replace him.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
The Hawks already have a 30+ year old overpriced player with scrambled eggs for brains in Steve Montador. No sense in adding another.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Cullksinikers

That sums up my thoughts.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote