HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jose Theodore to Toronto

Old
06-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Mosby
Howl On

vCash: 500
Jose Theodore to Toronto

If the Panthers get their hands on Roberto Luongo, and we assume the backup role goes to Scott Clemmensen (UFA) or Jacob Markstrom, there's no room for Jose Theodore.

What's a fair deal for both sides to send Jose Theodore to Toronto?

Mosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
ShootIt

A 4th round pick?

I doubt Clemmer stays though. Especially with Luongo being a 60+ starter.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
mokspeed

If Lou signs in FLA, Clem will walk, and they'll have to trade Theodore - they would want Markstrom to play 20ish games behind Lou. I feel like they wouldn't take Lou UNLESS they were to make pre-arrange a deal with someone to trade Theodore.

mokspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Hockey Potential
HP Forums

Don't want him.

Hockey Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Florida would keep Theo. Ass. GM Santos said they want Markstrom to play one more season in the ahl to prove he can stay healthy. At any rate, there would be no use trading theo who played well last season. The panthers would have great depth in goal.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Montsy14

Theodore has a NTC and from what was said when he signed last summer, is fully content on retiring a Panther.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:46 PM
giobrampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
If the Panthers get their hands on Roberto Luongo, and we assume the backup role goes to Scott Clemmensen (UFA) or Jacob Markstrom, there's no room for Jose Theodore.

What's a fair deal for both sides to send Jose Theodore to Toronto?
Why would Toronto help take Theodore off there hands after they screwed us from getting Lu

giobrampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:57 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by giobrampton View Post
Why would Toronto help take Theodore off there hands after they screwed us from getting Lu
We can always keep him, it's not like he cost a fortune(1.5 mil).

Would be a decent mentor to your young goalies and is only signed for one more year.
That is, if he would waive his NTC.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Theo will be staying put.

06-25-2012, 05:32 PM
seanlinden

The real question is... why wouldn't Toronto put forward a good offer for Theodore other than the fact that you've got a stubborn fanbase on hfboards?

He's got 1 year left, and makes $1.5m. He's 35 which isn't that old in the context of a 1-year deal and had a very respectable .916 sv% while leading his team to a division title and their first playoff berth since the lockout.

For a team like Toronto who still believes they can develop one of their young goaltenders, a guy like Theo really is the ideal situation, and arguably a better call than Luongo who comes with the mega contract.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:58 PM
TmX

I dont think Toronto will want him... The other question is will he be ready to wave his NTC to play for the leafs.
I just can't see Toronto giving Florida a good return for Theodore.

TmX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The real question is... why wouldn't Toronto put forward a good offer for Theodore other than the fact that you've got a stubborn fanbase on hfboards?

He's got 1 year left, and makes $1.5m. He's 35 which isn't that old in the context of a 1-year deal and had a very respectable .916 sv% while leading his team to a division title and their first playoff berth since the lockout.

For a team like Toronto who still believes they can develop one of their young goaltenders, a guy like Theo really is the ideal situation, and arguably a better call than Luongo who comes with the mega contract.
This. Theodore would be the ideal addition for the Leafs. Can play anywhere from 25-50 games depending on how Reimer/Scrivens play, not too old yet, only 1 year on his contract. I'd love to get him, but I doubt they give him up if Luongo goes there and Clemmensen walks.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Kaen

If Florida wants Luongo I don't see why Vancouver wouldn't want Theodore. It would give Schneider a solid veteran backup for 1 year at only 1.5M. Canuck fans might say Lack is ready for the backup role, which he probably is, but an extra year as a started in the minors seemed to work for Schneider.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaen View Post
If Florida wants Luongo I don't see why Vancouver wouldn't want Theodore. It would give Schneider a solid veteran backup for 1 year at only 1.5M. Canuck fans might say Lack is ready for the backup role, which he probably is, but an extra year as a started in the minors seemed to work for Schneider.
yea that would make sense but he would have to waive to Vancouver. no trade clauses are goofy

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
SIDGENO8771

One of LACK + 2nd

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:09 PM
jayball75

Quote:
Originally Posted by giobrampton View Post
They actually helped you by taking luongo. Leafs don't need that choker. Would leaf fans be happy to make the playoffs after 7 years only to have that choker in net and lose?

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
jayball75

The difference in save% and GAA between luongo and Theodore is NOT worth the money or what it would take to get luongo. Markstrom should be able to be #1 in a couple years.

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

I'm going to defer to the Panther fanbase's expertise on Markstrom. If you all think he is the real deal to be your quality starter for the future. I wonder just how much appeal Luongo holds. Otherwise I think Tallon and Co. would find themselves in the same position in a couple of years that Vancouver is in. Only with an older Luongo.

Boogeymane: Why wouldn't you want Theodore, if available? He was stellar as the Wild backup a couple of years back. Last season he proved to the NHL he still has to be regarded as a quality starter. By all accounts he his a great teammate, and would be an excellent mentor to Reimer and Scrivens. He would definitely solidify/upgrade your goaltending. As the Wild found out last season with their injury woes; you cannot have too much goaltending depth.

Rando Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDGENO8771 View Post
One of LACK + 2nd
I think Toronto would be all over that.

In response to the thread, all interesting discussion... but I'm wondering, if Luongo comes in, would Theodore want to be a No. 2 guy that only gets 15-20 games? That role not be better suited to groom a player like Markstrom.

I think Theodore would get anywhere from 30-50 games in Toronto. Funny that his salary is actually less than James Reimer's too.

Mosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:35 PM
KeninsFan
"Unintentional" Tank

vCash: 50
I doubt Luongo's groin can play 70 games anymore.

If I was Tallon I'd keep Jose for 25-30 games and keep Luongo fresh for the playoffs.

If I was Gillis I'd ask for Theodore back...although I believe Schneider can handle a starting role I'm unsure if Lack is a good enough back-up to limit Cory to 60 games.

KeninsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:57 PM
FrolikFan67

even if we get luongo, theodore will most likely stay. he signed here w/ the intention to retire here (i think), played amazing last season w/ the best numbers since his vezina year and was a huge reason why we won our first ever division title. luongo would start, theo would backup, theo only makes 1.5mil w/ 1 yr left, would make an awesome goalie tandem, and mike santos (our assistant gm) said he'd like to see markstrom play one more year in the ahl (injury free/complete season). then theo would retire, markstrom would come up next season and play backup, learn from luongo, probably play backup for about 3, possibly 4 seasons (or whenever his next contract is about to run out) or so and depending on how he handles it we'll see whether or not to trade markstrom for some assets and keep luongo, or dump luongo somewhere and have markstrom take over. much like schneider and the canucks current situation. i would not have any issue having luongo back, especially if we dump off a "bad" contract in the process (upshall most likely, then jovo, least likely would be kopecky i think) then ill be all for it and hope we get him actually.
just because we have markstrom doesnt mean that its bad to have luongo. we dont need to bank on markstrom, who's still pretty unproven at the nhl and pro level. luongo is still a top goalie in the league, the cap hit isnt horrendous imo, and he wont be here for the entire length of that contract anyways. especially if we can get rid of upshall and santorelli (im hoping haha), im all for it and solidifies us in net for a long time.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:49 AM
palindrom

I want Theodore back in Montreal and trade Price to Toronto.

so lets say Toronto do in fact give me something of good value for Price...

Then my first offer is a 3th round for Theodore. If Florida decline, then im going to try to bring back Huet for cheap $. if it doesnt work, i would come with a second improved(but not by much) offer.

Any counter offer by Florida fan?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Man Bear Pig

If Burke turned down Vokoun at a similar cost for only 2 years for just a 7th round pick, why would he go after Theo?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:53 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeymane View Post
Don't want him.
A former Vesna and Hart Trophy winning goalie coming off a great season who is only signed for 1 more year at 1.5M.
Why wouldn't you want him?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:54 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
If Burke turned down Vokoun at a similar cost for only 2 years for just a 7th round pick, why would he go after Theo?
Vokoun was UFA eligible, no guarantee he would sign with Toronto.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote