HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jose Theodore to Toronto

Old
06-26-2012, 02:54 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
If Burke turned down Vokoun at a similar cost for only 2 years for just a 7th round pick, why would he go after Theo?
Cheaper, younger, coming of a better season and has experience playing in a high pressure market.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:56 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Vokoun was UFA eligible, no guarantee he would sign with Toronto.
According to reports he was willing to agree to the same deal he signed before the trade.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:57 AM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
According to reports he was willing to agree to the same deal he signed before the trade.
Thank i wasnt aware of these reports.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:49 AM
Sniped90

K everyone the canucks arent gunna trade lu until they sign schnieder because they will say hey cory were gunna keep lu so the best we can give you is 2.5m/yr then once that is signed they will trade lu and promote cory to first string

Sniped90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:02 AM
gdg9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The real question is... why wouldn't Toronto put forward a good offer for Theodore other than the fact that you've got a stubborn fanbase on hfboards?

He's got 1 year left, and makes $1.5m. He's 35 which isn't that old in the context of a 1-year deal and had a very respectable .916 sv% while leading his team to a division title and their first playoff berth since the lockout.

For a team like Toronto who still believes they can develop one of their young goaltenders, a guy like Theo really is the ideal situation, and arguably a better call than Luongo who comes with the mega contract.
THIS^^^

Theodore would be a MUCH better fit than Lu.

He had very respectable stats on a surprising, young Panthers team last year.
He's on a CHEAP 1-year contract, which allows him to come in and support Reimer for a season, while allowing Scrivens to prove he can dominate the AHL for an entire season before becoming a full-time NHLer the next year.

Theodore would also be a decent mentor for Reimer, as he knows all about being a young #1 G for a team with crazy media/fanbase. I'm sure Reimer could learn a thing or two from Theodores experiences (and past mistakes!).

gdg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogeymane View Post
Don't want him.
Wow. 1 year at 1.5 mil and after the year he had last year you don't want him?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Wow. 1 year at 1.5 mil and after the year he had last year you don't want him?
I would take him for a year. Then if Reimer develops like hoped, let him walk next year. Pretty low risk and low cost.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
I would take him for a year. Then if Reimer develops like hoped, let him walk next year. Pretty low risk and low cost.
Exactly.....absolutely no risk. You could split equal with Reimer/Theo or run with the hot hand.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Krazy

I wouldnt mind Theo for a year. I would be surprised if they just put markstrom behind Luongo for the next 7 years.... but if thats what they want I would pick up theo.

Crazy thing, I just looked up theo.

2001-2002, hart trophy, vezina trophy, SECOND allstar team.... Ummmm am I missing something? who was first all star team that year? shouldnt he have been the vezina and hart winner then?

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
CanadianPantherFan

If Luongo ends up in Florida...with Jokinen off the market and the centre UFA market being shallow could this work?

To Florida: Lombardi
To Toronto: Theodore

The Panthers need a #2 guy behind Weiss so Goc can slide into his natural #3C shutdown role, and let Matthias/Smithson/young prospect hide a bit in the 4C role.

Theodore is the 1A option that the Leafs need along with Reimer as 1B option.

Both players in proposed deal have one year left on respective contract's.

How is Lombardi's health? His ++ speed would work well with Hubs and/or Howden playing alongside him on the wing.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
If Luongo ends up in Florida...with Jokinen off the market and the centre UFA market being shallow could this work?

The Panthers need a #2 guy behind Weiss so Goc can slide into his natural #3C shutdown role, and let Matthias/Smithson/young prospect hide a bit in the 4C role.

How is Lombardi's health? His ++ speed would work well with Hubs and/or Howden playing alongside him on the wing.
Deal!

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayball75 View Post
They actually helped you by taking luongo. Leafs don't need that choker. Would leaf fans be happy to make the playoffs after 7 years only to have that choker in net and lose?
Why the heck not? You think a fanbase that hasn't seen the playoffs since before the lockout cares if the goalie chokes deep in a playoff run? If his choking is the same as last year (i.e. the team can't figure out how to score) then it won't be much of an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg9 View Post
THIS^^^

Theodore would be a MUCH better fit than Lu.

He had very respectable stats on a surprising, young Panthers team last year.
He's on a CHEAP 1-year contract, which allows him to come in and support Reimer for a season, while allowing Scrivens to prove he can dominate the AHL for an entire season before becoming a full-time NHLer the next year.

Theodore would also be a decent mentor for Reimer, as he knows all about being a young #1 G for a team with crazy media/fanbase. I'm sure Reimer could learn a thing or two from Theodores experiences (and past mistakes!).
Disagree that he's a better fit. A year of solid goaltending and then where does that leave the Leafs? Once again searching for good goaltending and the risk at going at it with a scary duo of Reimer/Scrivens. The Leafs need a consistent solution not another stop gap.

This only works out if any of the Leafs young goalies can be good #1s and that isn't a guarantee by any stretch.

If it was cheap probably wouldn't care much about grabbing Theodore if no better option was out there.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Liminality

Quote:

Done!
Lombardi was pretty healthy this past year but he did get injured for around a month in mid November, can't remember what the injury was. He did come back and play for the rest of the year though so I'm sure he's back in shape.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:46 PM
seanlinden

Quote:

Literally a no-brainer deal from Toronto's perspective.

Lombardi's health is fine and speed is back, the problem is he hasn't really regained the form he had pre-injury (granted, he didn't get much opportunity to in Toronto). He doesn't really do anything particularly well enough to find a spot in Toronto's relatively deep group of centres. They've got faceoff / shutdown guys in McClement & Steckel. They've got offensive guys in Connolly, Bozak, and Grabovski, and a young guy like Colborne. So, there's really no room for him here.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Kesselmania

I'd rather you take Connolly instead.

Kesselmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
A former Vesna and Hart Trophy winning goalie coming off a great season who is only signed for 1 more year at 1.5M.
Why wouldn't you want him?
Your spelling of Vezina intrigues me, but not as much as a guy who won awards a decade ago.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by giobrampton View Post
Why would Toronto help take Theodore off there hands after they screwed us from getting Lu
LOL you act as if you would be doing us a favor. Theodore's performance last season was 10x better than any goalie you've had since the lockout.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I wouldnt mind Theo for a year. I would be surprised if they just put markstrom behind Luongo for the next 7 years.... but if thats what they want I would pick up theo.

Crazy thing, I just looked up theo.

2001-2002, hart trophy, vezina trophy, SECOND allstar team.... Ummmm am I missing something? who was first all star team that year? shouldnt he have been the vezina and hart winner then?
Patrick Roy was the first all star. It was an extremely controversial award year. Theodore ties both Iginla and Patrick Roy in votes for the vezina and Hart and overtook them by finishing with more first place votes.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
I doubt Luongo's groin can play 70 games anymore.

If I was Tallon I'd keep Jose for 25-30 games and keep Luongo fresh for the playoffs.

If I was Gillis I'd ask for Theodore back...although I believe Schneider can handle a starting role I'm unsure if Lack is a good enough back-up to limit Cory to 60 games.
Theodore is a dream for the Vancouver Canucks. A cheap very experienced veteran goalie who could win games and mentor Schenider as he climbs the latter to stardom. But it's just to bad the chance of Theodore waiving his NTC to go to Vancouver is 0.000000000000001.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Don`t know how much Florida would want for him, but I would pick him up for the Leafs.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Laus723
Future Now

He has a NTC, and I doubt Tallon wants to move him.

07-04-2012, 08:17 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He has a NTC, and I doubt Tallon wants to move him.
This speculation is all hinging on the fact the Panthers trade for Luongo. You have already signed Clemmenson as a back-up, so if Lou comes, Theodore would have to go.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote