Pavelec re-signs: 5 years / 3.9 cap hit

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
buyinnow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
oook. So stats don't matter. Got it. One thing bugs me though, stats measure the stuff the actually happen in games. How are you evaluating players? Artistic impression? Good thing scientists never use that voodoo.
Never said that stats don't matter. You were basing Pav's performance strictly on his stats. A lot of factors go into his stats that Pav's has no control over.

now your trying to belittle me. whatever pal.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:51 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
I must say reading some idiots tweets on twitter sure put me in a bad mood. A lot of hate for Pavelec

Old
06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
I must say reading some idiots tweets on twitter sure put me in a bad mood. A lot of hate for Pavelec
Aww. I'd swap you my feed if I could, it's all love over there.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
The guys over at Arctic Ice Hockey hate it:

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/

Same guy really hated the draft too.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondnorth View Post
So if we traded with LA ,Pavs for Quicky, the best goalie in hockey,Quick`s numbers would be the same here as they were in LA last season? Sometimes you got to throw the numbers out.
If that is what I meant that is what I would have said.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:57 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyinnow View Post
Never said that stats don't matter. You were basing Pav's performance strictly on his stats. A lot of factors go into his stats that Pav's has no control over.

now your trying to belittle me. whatever pal.
You pretty much said that stats don't matter. Shall I go back and grab the quote?

Old
06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Wpgpage

Its an overpay that's for sure, the fact that he gave up 2 FA years makes it a little better, however I think I still would have preferred a 2 year deal in which Pavs could establish himself a little more. The Jets are paying a major price for Pav's potential and while potential is all well and good it still needs to be realized. Overall I am not that worried about it, while its not a good contract by any stretch of the imagination its certainly not a contract that will cripple the team for years to come. Hopefully Pavs becomes a top 15 goalie in the NHL and we all count this as a worthwhile gamble, but at this time I'm not sure it was a gamble that needed to be made.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
The guys over at Arctic Ice Hockey hate it:

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/

Same guy really hated the draft too.
Those guys sound like the biggest D bags around.

Is there business plan just to talk crap, write like morons, and be critical just to get hits?

Looks like it.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:28 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

personally, i couldnt care less how much the jets pay their players.....i just want the best players possible on the ice.

its pretty clear that their waiver wire team building strategy will never put us in cap trouble so signing a goalie who will play 90% of the season to $3.9m is fine with me.

He has terrible numbers and because of that he's overpaid by a million bucks or so, but they will waste a million bucks on dishrags like miettenen ($1.3) and fehr ($2.2) every year......everyone does.....we could overpay everyone on the roster by a million bucks and still be under the cap.

if you are going to pay anyone, it should be the goalie that you felt was so critical to your success that you completely burned him out at the end of the season by playing him game after game after game.

If pavalec had bolted (i never believed he would), we were not going to go out and get luongo or schneider....the reality is that we would be playing gustafson or some other equally horrible goalie that a 7th rounder or waiver pick up would have brought......im confident that we would not have made a real acquisition of a real goalie......pavalec is the best goalie that we were ever going to have in any scenario, so who cares what he gets paid...im glad he's here.

he's young...he will get better...i think he is the kind of goalie that could get hot in the playoffs and give us a run.....now, lets find someone to score a goal or two and actually get to the playoffs.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 06-25-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Those guys sound like the biggest D bags around.

Is there business plan just to talk crap, write like morons, and be critical just to get hits?

Looks like it.
There actually quite good some of the better Jets analysis around, much better than the local media anyway. They are a bit over critical at times but their points are usually quite valid.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
teucer

Ondrej The Giant
The Monster

Sounds like a duo made in heaven if you ask me.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Crazed Fan

Dear Kevin Cheveldayoff,
Thank you. Job well done.

5 more years of Ondrej Pavelec!!

Old
06-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Sounds like a wwe tag team.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
There actually quite good some of the better Jets analysis around, much better than the local media anyway. They are a bit over critical at times but their points are usually quite valid.
I read a few of their articles on Pavelec, and their coverage on the draft and they don't seem any better than tabloid journalists looking for hits.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:51 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
Gamble on both sides. Pavelec has not earned these salaries based on his current level of play. This is a roll of the dice based on his potential. On the other hand, if Pavelec lives up to that potential, he'll be underpaid in years 3-5.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:56 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I read a few of their articles on Pavelec, and their coverage on the draft and they don't seem any better than tabloid journalists looking for hits.
Yeah, except for their highly detailed look at Pavelec relative to his peers. The article posted is based on numbers.

No one wants Pavelec to be a bust, but based on his body of work, it's a higher risk contract than many here seem to believe.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

It's a good deal - a fair cap hit, yet a possible bargain if Pavelec progresses into the legitimate elite goaltender he shows flashes of at times. The Jets get him for a few years of UFA, which also sounds good.

I'm pleased that he's locked up for 5 years - one more building block in the foundation, maybe even a corner stone, and with Telegin, Scheifele, Trouba and Sutter in the pipeline, the future's looking a little brighter.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Anyone see Slater's tweet about Pav's resigning?
Quote:
Congrats to pavs on the big new 5 yr deal. Can't wait to still beat him glove side high in practy.
I guess gloveside high on Pav's is a mystery to no one.

I literally laughed out loud when I read it though.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Their comments about Trouba seem uninformed to me.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Anyone see Slater's tweet about Pav's resigning?

I guess gloveside high on Pav's is a mystery to no one.

I literally laughed out loud when I read it though.
Oh God that's hilarious. Guess Slater's trying to chirp the team back after being named Worst Dressed Jet!

Old
06-25-2012, 08:11 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
I'm surprised by how many think this is an overpayment. Pavs was hung out to dry a lot last year and was often the only reason the Jets were in games. Aside from the end of the season when he was clearly fatigued, he was pretty deserving of this contract. If I had to hypothetically assess the value of a one-year deal based solely on his play last year and not potential, I'd say $3-3.5M easily. If he continues to progress, this'll be a bargain especially when considering the term, i.e. the fact it buys UFA years.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Their comments about Trouba seem uninformed to me.
Didn't really say anything we have not already heard a solid pick but one whose ultimate upside may be a little lower than some other players on the board at the time.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Didn't really say anything we have not already heard a solid pick but one whose ultimate upside may be a little lower than some other players on the board at the time.
The pick reminds me a lot of the Jets 1.0 picks Aaron Ward or Bryan Marchment. Trouba is not a sexy pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad one.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Let him walk? Walk where? KHL? Only if you took that drivel seriously. I sure didn't. It was overpaid for potential. I am not sold on Pavelec as a top end starter, he has not proven much too date, IMO. He is just a 15-25 starter in the NHL, he might keep getting better, he might not. I used the Jon Quick comparison (who signed 3 years, 1.8million 2 years back) and it was a real good one, IMO. Not sure what Pavelec had over him. 5 years is a long time as well, would have rather a 2 year deal to maintain RFA status and some flexibility down the road. But overall it's not bad, just not great. A decent signing.
Don't disagree with you at all on any points. I see the value somewhat in addition to getting Pavelec signed though. I think Chevy sends a good message with this signing to other players on the team and throughout the league in some respects. It says we'll work to sign players we want to keep with our team. We won't be really, really cheap, like the league rumours suggest Winnipeg will be. Management wants players they believe in and that fit the community as well.

Is he overpaid? Yeah, relative to performance to this point. Does the contract send a message beyond Pavelec? Absolutely.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
The pick reminds me a lot of the Jets 1.0 picks Aaron Ward or Bryan Marchment. Trouba is not a sexy pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad one.
I disagree.

I actually think Trouba is a pretty sexy pick.

Closed Thread